FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[ROM/FW][STOCK]LG V30 (Joan) Verizon VS996 20K TWRP flashable firmware (incl. ROM)

576 posts
Thanks Meter: 838

By JohnFawkes, Senior Member on 11th November 2018, 07:44 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
LG V30 Verizon VS996-20k ROM

Hi!
This Rom is 100% Stock. Most recent TWRP should first be installed. Then you can install this Rom and have Oreo with working TWRP.

This zip is created from the original KDZ. It contains almost the complete 20k firmware, but the partition table rewriting part and recovery image is removed. I changed the system.img, so you do not have to reinstall TWRP (recovery-from-boot.p deleted) when ROM once booted. I also changed the partition size of system.img, so the vendorized people can install this too without having problems because of a too small system partition. This is a continuation of westwood24's idea and work, I've updated it to the newest fw version and edited / advanced it a bit. I followed his idea and made this for users who can not take OTA's because they have Custom Recovery / Root installed.
Thanks to @gimpy1 and @nnjimmy59 for testing this zip! And to @ChazzMatt for searching testers

Features
  • Stock build made from official KDZ
  • Stock Build.prop(slightly modified to add dts and locksreen weather and custom EQ)
  • Added latest 7.0.14 com.lge.equalizer apk for equalizer in sound settings
  • Unrooted
  • system.img modified to keep TWRP
  • System image size shrunk for being able to flash this on a smaller system partition, mainly caused by vendorizing
  • Removed dm-verity
  • Removed rctd (LG's root checker tool daemon)
  • Enabled opt-encrypt, it's your choice now if you want to encrypt your phone, it's no more forced. TWRP now is capable of decryption (both AOSP and stock) since a few versions
  • Added DTS enabler prop and all lockscreen weather prop to stock build.prop and custom EQ prop

Installation
What you need [B]

LATEST ZIP

OLDER ZIPS

How to install
When you are still on Nougat,
you should start fresh: Reboot to recovery using button combo or reboot app (needs root; btw, Magisk offers this possibility too: Menu -> Modules -> three dot menu top right - Reboot to recovery)
Then flash this TWRP.img via image flashing function in TWRP, reboot to recovery again (for fully working new recovery) and do a backup, then copy this backup to your PC.
Then initiate a factory reset. Wipe your system partition too in TWRP advanced wiping menu, copy the 20k firmware zip to your SD and install it. Reboot and enjoy

From Oreo:
For clean install: Factory reset and wipe system
You can also keep your data by simply dirty flashing the zip. *Be aware that problems may occur, maybe you need to do a factory reset to start fresh*
Flash the 20k zip, then Magisk zip when you need root, then reboot to System = you're DONE
P.S.: could be, that you first need to boot up your fresh install and set it up before you can flash magisk.

At the first time you boot to system, it can be TWRP says No OS installed. You can ignore it.
If TWRP asks if you want to install SU, hit no (in newest TWRP SU is disabled, and the option to install the TWRP app is disabled too.)

Rom Version
Android Version: 8.0 Oreo
Android security patch level: 2019-5-1

DONATION
DonĀ“t forget to hit the thanks-button if you like this zip!
If you want to help me with a donation please click here to help out [Please Click Here]
The Following 28 Users Say Thank You to JohnFawkes For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift JohnFawkes Ad-Free

11th November 2018, 07:44 AM |#2  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 838

More
#reserved
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JohnFawkes For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift JohnFawkes Ad-Free
11th November 2018, 08:16 AM |#3  
Flag Flagstaff
Thanks Meter: 271

More
I am on the twrp vs 996_20f. Working very well. Thx, seadersn, and all others involved for your fine work.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gimpy1 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift gimpy1 Ad-Free
11th November 2018, 09:24 AM |#4  
Flag Flagstaff

More
Deleted
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2018-11-11-01-10-22.png
Views:	656
Size:	220.6 KB
ID:	4639760  
The Following User Says Thank You to gimpy1 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift gimpy1 Ad-Free
11th November 2018, 09:30 AM |#5  
Flag Flagstaff

More
Third time is a charm. Finally got it to load, I think
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2018-11-11-01-10-22.png
Views:	742
Size:	220.6 KB
ID:	4639762  
The Following User Says Thank You to gimpy1 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift gimpy1 Ad-Free
11th November 2018, 09:39 AM |#6  
Recognized Developer
Flag Germany
Thanks Meter: 2,726

Donate to Me
More
nice, i can finally add security patch date now, thx!
The Following User Says Thank You to seadersn For This Useful Post: [ View ]
11th November 2018, 12:16 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 92

More
@seadersn, the rom works perfectly, flashed it from DOTOS with US998a firmware. It works perfectly. Awesome, many thanks for making this and other TWRP flashable zips available!

I need native tether and so had to restore, and there was a quirk. I mention it not to complain but out of curiosity and to make others aware. TWRP complained about no partitions being selected when attempting to directly restore either my stock US998 setup or DOTOS. Flashing westwood's US998b rom fixed matters. Can you explain what is happening? It seems like TWRP backups are specific to a model firmware.
11th November 2018, 12:20 PM |#8  
Recognized Developer
Flag Germany

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmrntnnr

@seadersn, the rom works perfectly, flashed it from DOTOS with US998a firmware. It works perfectly. Awesome, many thanks for making this and other TWRP flashable zips available!

I need native tether and so had to restore, and there was a quirk. I mention it not to complain but out of curiosity and to make others aware. TWRP complained about no partitions being selected when attempting to directly restore either my stock US998 setup or DOTOS. Flashing westwood's US998b rom fixed matters. Can you explain what is happening? It seems like TWRP backups are specific to a model firmware.

hmm, that would be news for me: what exactly did you do to restore? just selected backup, chosen partitions, restore? or was the backup folder not visible? and: do you have a log of this?
11th November 2018, 12:55 PM |#9  

More
I'll try to be specific and detailed and hopefully not offer too much useless fluff. The phone is an open market us998 v30s. It has never been flashed with any other firmware. I keep a stock and DOTOS TWRP backups. Restoring between them or with any of the other aosp roms has always worked perfectly. I've wanted to see what additional features might be in the Verizon rom so I downloaded the your fresh zip, verified md5sum , factory reset on TWRPv6a and flashed. After satisfying my curiosity, I button danced back to TWRP to restore. This is where things got weird. The names of the backups matched the phone serial number rather than the dated backup name. TWRP gave the no partitions selected error when attempting to restore. At this point I thought maybe the backups got damaged and so popped in the sdcard with extra backups, . Those backups did not register their names properly and would not restore either. At this point I was resigned to setting up the phone again and just moved forward with a factory reset and flash of ww's 998b zip. I thought maybe there was something about the firmware change the affected the ability to restore so I rebooted TWRP. The correct names for the backups appeared and they would flash.

No logs, but I can repeat the process and gather information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seadersn

hmm, that would be news for me: what exactly did you do to restore? just selected backup, chosen partitions, restore? or was the backup folder not visible? and: do you have a log of this?

The Following User Says Thank You to cmrntnnr For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift cmrntnnr Ad-Free
11th November 2018, 01:08 PM |#10  
Recognized Developer
Flag Germany

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmrntnnr

I'll try to be specific and detailed and hopefully not offer too much useless fluff. The phone is an open market us998 v30s. It has never been flashed with any other firmware. I keep a stock and DOTOS TWRP backups. Restoring between them or with any of the other aosp roms has always worked perfectly. I've wanted to see what additional features might be in the Verizon rom so I downloaded the your fresh zip, verified md5sum , factory reset on TWRPv6a and flashed. After satisfying my curiosity, I button danced back to TWRP to restore. This is where things got weird. The names of the backups matched the phone serial number rather than the dated backup name. TWRP gave the no partitions selected error when attempting to restore. At this point I thought maybe the backups got damaged and so popped in the sdcard with extra backups, . Those backups did not register their names properly and would not restore either. At this point I was resigned to setting up the phone again and just moved forward with a factory reset and flash of ww's 998b zip. I thought maybe there was something about the firmware change the affected the ability to restore so I rebooted TWRP. The correct names for the backups appeared and they would flash.

No logs, but I can repeat the process and gather information.

twrp has different mechanisms for setting backup folders names, the serial number is one of them (and the default). it may be that something boot.img or other related has changed in this new firmware, so that old backups have another name than newer ones.

would be nice to have some additional testing. with the new firmware installed. means: install the new firmware zip, then do a cache format, reboot to recovery and then try a restore: does this change everything back to normal?
11th November 2018, 01:55 PM |#11  

More
It all repeated just like the first time. Clearing the caches had no effect. What is the best way to send you the logs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by seadersn

twrp has different mechanisms for setting backup folders names, the serial number is one of them (and the default). it may be that something boot.img or other related has changed in this new firmware, so that old backups have another name than newer ones.

would be nice to have some additional testing. with the new firmware installed. means: install the new firmware zip, then do a cache format, reboot to recovery and then try a restore: does this change everything back to normal?

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)