[TWRP][JOAN][V30/V30+/V30S][UNOFFICIAL] 3.3.1-2, 2020-2-23, Pie Decryption, for N/O/P

Search This thread

Kolyei

Jul 11, 2016
Hello. Is there any way to know when version 3.4 of TWRP will be "unofficially" released? As TWRP.me doesn't list the LG v30 on their website.

ChazzMatt

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
Hello. Is there any way to know when version 3.4 of TWRP will be "unofficially" released? As TWRP.me doesn't list the LG v30 on their website.
What TWRP does officially has nothing to do with TWRP for V30.

Our hardworking Devs have given us TWRP. First Markus, then Seadersn. Also maybe someone else prior I've forgotten about. Seadersn and JohnFawkes also gave us most of our TWRP flashable zips, predated by Westwood24.

Last edited:
Reactions: ufocus
D

Deleted member 11229275

Hello there and thanks for your time and effort into this!
If i understand it correctly, TWRP 3.3.1-2 is the latest and final version for our phone? Moreover installing this version makes flashing "Verity paches" unnecessary for pie ROM?
One thing i don't understand is how encryption works and why it creates problems with TWRP alongside stock ROM. Does it has to do with "Secure start-up" from device settings (so not setting up "secure start-up" would help me avoid any problems with encryption)? Does it has to do with device "lock screen" (so if i select "none" as my lock screen method would help me avoid any problems with encryption)?
I feel like this knowledge (how encryption works and why do we need to disable it) is quite fundamental and would be more than glad if someone could explain it to me. I'm preparing to implement the WTF instructions to install AiX ROM, but i want to know what i'm doing before proceeding.
Thanks again for your help! Regards!

Spaceboy60

Dec 22, 2014
Xiaomi Poco X5 Pro
Ok, i'm trying to install this from command line (
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
)
but when i power off the phone and try the following:

c. Holding both the Volume-Down and Power button, turn phone on.
d. As soon as the LG logo appears, continue pressing “Down” but release and re-press Power. Continue holding both until a menu appears.
e. Select to erase all data. You will be asked this several times; keep saying “Yes”.

instead of booting twrp it says erasing!! And then just boots up and asks me to reenter everything!

Any ideas?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is the new thread for Pie & 10 TWRP Recovery 3.3.1-x

Feature list:
    - Pie stock ROMs are fully decryptable with this TWRP, either protected with secure startup or without :good: OREO encrypted userdata is not decryptable with 3.3 :(. However, if you're on encrypted oreo and update to pie stock, either via zip or kdz, crypto gets migrated and you're good to go in terms of access to your encrypted data with 3.3. So, with this recovery, the urgent need for flashing no-verity-opt-encrypt zip isn't really there anymore
    - everything working: backup & restore even with encrypted userdata, no matter if it's from oreo or pie. If you restore a backup containing an encrypted userdata, you'll need to format userdata before, for crypto removal. But only when coming from another encrypted ROM, otherwise you can just restore, boot up (it will use the encryption settings you"ve set up) ; decryption; time & dat; mtp; adb; installing of ROMs and zips in general; themeable; .........
    - Possibility to leave out lockscreen settings when restoring a backup (sometimes you were forced to delete them manually, otherwise no login into your restored ROM possible -.- You can bypass this with this. Note: lockscreensettings ≠ encryption pin/pw/pattern.)
    - Time and date is shown correctly, independent of /data. This should work after a few boots of ROM and TWRP, TWRP needs to get the data once and later on it will then be calculated from persist's settings file.
    - modem image support: backup, restore, flashing of modem images either taken directly from kdz or diskdump. Same for OP partition (not present on USA and some others possibly)
    - For removing encryption completely you can now do it as already known, via format userdata. Crypto is removed with it now again.
    - busybox instead of toolbox/toybox, for better zip compatibility as it looks for now
    - Pie 3.3.1-x: compiled with full 9.0 TWRP sources
    - capable of installing every ROM and zip files
    - some extra partitions (see below)

Don't forget your timezone settings after flashing. Also there are some extra partitions you can mount/backup/flash/explore, like LAF, persist-LG and OP configs. There's the thought of some people to flash TWRP as a second copy to LAF partition to be on the sure side when it comes to ROM switching or sth like that. You can do this, anyway it's not really recommended (by me and some others) because you'll lose download mode, but you now have the option.

For extra partitions: Some of them are needed for decryption (modem / persist-lg (drm)), some are for VoLTE (OP), time is stored on /persist/time (and /data/vendor/time), modem should be known and the LAF partition should be known already too (described above).

For decryption: it works as it should. Therefore it is a little bit tricky to restore a backup of a ROM which had encrypted userdata, when you'd installed any other ROM in between. There are some points to remember when restoring, a little guide is available in old thread's third post (https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=77839649&postcount=3), and some tipps too.

Some instructions:
    How to flash?
    If starting fresh with an unmodified phone, this thread should help you installing it
    When you already have TWRP installed, you can flash this recovery from within TWRP:
    - Copy the new image file to one of your phone storages
    - Tap "Install"
    - Tap "Install image" button, located down right
    - Locate your downloaded image and select it
    - Select "recovery" from the list which shows up then
    - Install; and reboot to recovery after installing immediately, don't use it for any other tasks until rebooted pls, as it may not function. Things can go bollox when phone wasn't rebooted to recovery after installing.
    And of course you can flash it via fastbootmode. Reboot to bootloader (adb reboot bootloader; when magisk is installed, you can use magisk manager => module => menu on the top right => reboot to bootloader. You can reboot to recovery from there too) and then:
    fastboot flash recovery <twrp-image-name.img>
    How to (re)boot to TWRP?:
    If your phone is rooted:
    - Magisk has options to reboot to different targets like bootloader or recovery, but this menu is a little bit hidden: you can access it by starting Magisk.Manager, going to the "Module" menu, tapping on the three dot menu on the top right. Then select your target
    - If a terminal emulator is installed, open it, type "su" followed by enter and type "reboot recovery"
    - You can do the same with an adb shell, open a shell and type the commands from above, they're the same
    - There also are apps for rebooting to recovery or other targets. Just search around in PlayStore
    - The good old "button dance" ;) When phone is powered off, press the volume down key and power button at the same time. When a first sign of life is seen on display, immediately release the power button, but just to instantly press it again. A menu will show, which wants you to do a factory reset: do it ;) You have to confirm this two times, and afterwards TWRP will boot without performing a factory reset. TWRP is compiled with a flag which recognizes this procedure and hinders the bootloader to pass the command for factory resetting.

This time no optional version of TWRP is available, it's "one for all". This TWRP works for every V30 model, and only for them. I removed vendor partition too btw, there isn't any active development about that, so it's useless and only confuses ppl. DataImage function is available.

If you want to use data_image, system_image or internal storage included in data backup, first check your filesystem on your external sdcard. It needs to be capable of writing big files, which isn't the case with fat/fat16/fat32. You need exFAT (for stock) or ext4/ntfs (only available with custom kernel and/or AOSP based builds).

CHANGELOG:
    February 23rd, 2020, TWRP 3.3.1-2:
    - corrected blocksize for formatting crypto related partitions
    - included timezone data, maybe helps some ppl with time still not showing correct; should speed up time calc
    - used pre-compiled full mke2fs and e2fsdroid binaries
    - enabled ntfs experimental support (rw in kernel, NTFS_3G flag in twrp / ofox)
    - minimal tweaks
    - enabled F2FS and NTFS support

January 1st, 2020, TWRP 3.3.1-1:
    - Formatting problem solved, TWRP now removes crypto as it should when user initiates a data format
    - small fixings like checkbox layout in restore menu
    - Moved a LOGERR to LOGINFO: "E: Unable to decrypt FBE device". Couldn't get rid of it with our needed config...

Dec. 30th, 2019, TWRP 3.3.1-0:
    - initial first version
    - almost everything working like in 3.2 oreo TWRP
    - Formatting your device doesn't remove crypto from disk, so a "fresh" (formatted) userdata gets disturbed by old security lock

DOWNLOADS:

Nougat, Oreo and Pie capable 3.3.1-0 TWRP, but decrypting support only for PIE (AOSP untested, stock confirmed):
    Download links below (always the latest and newest only; one version for all):
    File name: TWRP-JOAN-3312_2020-02-23.img
    MD5sum: 2fd78a606b65274977f1cd63080d5f23
    MAIN Download: MEGA, TWRP-JOAN-3312_2020-02-23.img

As always: Use it at your own risk! You are the one who changes stuff on your phone, I'm not responsible for anything which happens to your phone. TWRP is powerful, be careful at what you do with it :good: And it just works.

All you need to compile this yourself:
    [url]https://github.com/seader/android_device_lge_joan-twrp[/url]
    [url]https://github.com/minimal-manifest-twrp/platform_manifest_twrp_omni[/url]
    [url]https://github.com/seader/android_kernel_lge_msm8998[/url] (not really needed as a prebuilt kernel is used)
    [url]https://github.com/seader/bootable_recovery-twrp[/url] (copy of twrp recovery with the stuff added. Pie is "encrypt-9.0" branch. omni's android-9.0 branch almost fully compatible, beside not being able to remove crypto (dirty hack, sry :))
    ...and new build is up... pls have a look at changelog etc :good:
    Hi @seadersn,

first thanks for your awesome work! I installed latest twrp from OP (3.3.1-1),
    from your github commits logs it seems f2fs support is added to your twrp and the kernel it uses,
    anyway twrp cannot mount any f2fs partition (sdcard or usb)
    and this type is not even displayed when changing partition type for example (only ext2/3/4 fat and exfat),
    there is just empty space where f2fs button is supposed to be compared with twrp on other devices.

am I missing something? the commits I saw are not in latest build?
    it's in new -2 build, jep :) it's ready for release and will come this weekend :good:
    a new version will be tested by some additional ppl now, and when they are happy, first post will be updated :good: brings working formatting function, or better: working crypto removal while formatting. formatting itself was okay, it was only the crypto stuff not erased, therefore crypto stayed and confused fresh userdata partitions. now this is included, working as it should. i don't know exactly, why this function wasn't called correctly, but now it works :) or better: will be stresstested by some ppl, my tests were successful but we just need more testing cases ;)
    ak3 zips now are fixed, @JohnFawkes found an error and merged it out :)