Did I brick my phone? Help

Search This thread

aggetheninja

Sep 7, 2020
I am kind of new to this and followed some guides to get TWRP on the phone so I could do a nandroid backup.

So I unloxked the bootloader, no problems there. Then I flashed twrp thorugh adb still no problem. Booted back into the stock os just to make sure everything worked which it did. So I booted back into TWRP and started the backup. When it finished I pressed the reboot system on the same screen and here is where my problems begin. It took ages to get to the lock screen and then I had problems even getting into the phone. It freezed and rebooted (again taking ages). I now managed to get into the phone but when I try to open an app it freezes and reboots.

I don't know what went wrong and dont know what to do, please help.

/agge

ChazzMatt

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
I am kind of new to this and followed some guides to get TWRP on the phone so I could do a nandroid backup.

So I unloxked the bootloader, no problems there. Then I flashed twrp thorugh adb still no problem. Booted back into the stock os just to make sure everything worked which it did. So I booted back into TWRP and started the backup. When it finished I pressed the reboot system on the same screen and here is where my problems begin. It took ages to get to the lock screen and then I had problems even getting into the phone. It freezed and rebooted (again taking ages). I now managed to get into the phone but when I try to open an app it freezes and reboots.

I don't know what went wrong and dont know what to do, please help.

/agge

I don't know what "guides" you followed but sounds like you didn't follow the correct guide. The only one you should be following is here, in the WTF INSTRUCTIONS.

https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=76584629&postcount=193

Section 6 specifically is installing TWRP and root.

After installing TWRP, you need to boot straight to TWRP (NOT to OS!) and complete a whole checklist of stuff -- installing two more files, reformatting internal memory, flashing Magisk... AND all that in a specific order.

ONLY after all that do you then boot to OS.

Go to Section 6 of the WTF INSTRUCTIONS and cookie follow it. Use THOSE files. Read in a web browser not an app. Apps truncate entire sections.

Last edited:

aggetheninja

Sep 7, 2020
I don't know what "guides" you followed but sounds like you didn't follow the correct guide. The only one you should be following is here, in the WTF INSTRUCTIONS.

https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=76584629&postcount=193

Section 6 specifically is installing TWRP and root.

After installing TWRP, you need to boot straight to TWRP (NOT to OS!) and complete a whole checklist of stuff -- installing two more files, reformatting internal memory, flashing Magisk... AND all that in a specific order.

ONLY after all that do you then boot to OS.

Go to Section 6 of the WTF INSTRUCTIONS and cookie follow it. Use THOSE files. Read in a web browser not an app. Apps truncate entire sections.

Thank you, one more question, can flash those files from my computer to the phone? Or how could I get the files to my phone so I can flash them.

ChazzMatt

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
Thank you, one more question, can flash those files from my computer to the phone? Or how could I get the files to my phone so I can flash them.
In the Prep section you transfer all those files from computer to microSD card. microSD card won't be reformatted when you reformat internal memory.

Or if you don't have microSD card, you can connect phone to PC while in TWRP, and it acts like a flash drive. You can drag the files from PC to phone. Using the TWRP file browser you would navigate to where you copied them.

aggetheninja

Sep 7, 2020
In the Prep section you transfer all those files from computer to microSD card. microSD card won't be reformatted when you reformat internal memory.

Or if you don't have microSD card, you can connect phone to PC while in TWRP, and it acts like a flash drive. You can drag the files from PC to phone. Using the TWRP file browser you would navigate to where you copied them.

Got it, thanks again. I've looked through the guide you psted and found that I didn't go back to early oreo, I am on pie. Could that be the issue? And if so should I try to find a stock recovery and flash it or should I try to get the phone to early oreo first?

ChazzMatt

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
Got it, thanks again. I've looked through the guide you psted and found that I didn't go back to early oreo, I am on pie. Could that be the issue? And if so should I try to find a stock recovery and flash it or should I try to get the phone to early oreo first?
If you unlocked your Bootloader without being on early Oreo, then you must have one of the 3 eligible variants (out of two or three dozen) which can request and use the LG official bootloader unlock code.

In thatcase, just start with Section 6. Your Bootloader is already unlocked.

Last edited:

aggetheninja

Sep 7, 2020
If you unlocked your Bootloader without being on early Oreo, then you must have one of the 3 eligible variants (out of two or three dozen) which can request and use the LG official bootloader unlock code.

Int case just start with Section 6. Your Bootloader is already unlocked.

Okay thanks, will post here tomorrow if I succeed

aggetheninja

Sep 7, 2020
I can say that it worked. But I'm not sure if magisk succeded. I have the magisk manager but the only think I can do there is install magisk 20.4