FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Fully enable DTS 3D stereo (root needed)

14,094 posts
Thanks Meter: 10,144

By ChazzMatt, XDA Ad-Free Recognized Contributor on 6th January 2019, 08:40 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
7th January 2019, 07:57 AM |#11  
Flag Oberschlesien
Thanks Meter: 255

More
I guess I'm deaf I use regular headphones (impedance only 16 ohms) and I can not hear any difference after switching on. It is possible that the effect is heard only after connecting high impedance headphones?

7th January 2019, 10:19 AM |#12  
Thanks Meter: 242

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtrix

Done, Working on my V30S ! Thanks to all

Initial impressions

First the total volume output is raised which can be immediately observed. Which is great ! Because due to my hearing loss or the way how LG played safe game lol with this High End DAC which powers some Astell and Kern and Desktop Audiophile DACs, I always needed to be at 70 ish but now the 60-66 level is fine, and 70 is like 75+, So to my ears it's easily 6+ step increase and this is with Normal Mode (HiFi Status App) and my IEMs which are just 10 Ohms ( I personally believe the Tavil xml files force the Quad DAC and causes some not so good tuning output from the jack and the headphone/IEM impedance - Simply I could say, I cannot increase the volume with HIM forced, I hear disturbance even with 1-2 steps maybe because of High Sensitivity or not. So I leave it at factory mode. However that's me may / may not be applied to others.)

Second the Music Player and tonal difference - With this mode the EQ option is gone from LG Music Player along with the icon, that icon is now replaced the hifi icon in music player. New option only shows pitch speed with that new button on the right bottom (previously I use the Pure Surround and Bass Boost, Pure Surround artifacts sometimes with a few tracks and mix and match with digital filters, Short for example adds more spacious sound as it says + Pure Surround takes it to next level) And the DTS X : Surround option sounds a lot different to the Pure Surround and is on a whole another dimension..

"Wide" mode cuts off Treble/High End with quite some degree (I welcome this because my IEMs, triple driver have 2 TWFK Balanced Armature drivers and V-Shape causing peaky treble) along with midrange too and adds that Massive Bass/Low end emphasis, can be said "smooth sound"

"Side to Side" puts its opposite, more on the High End and Mid range (again the Dynamic Driver in my IEM, takes a step back, also I feel in this mode the volume is piercing due to the nature of my IEMs being hot at top)

"Front" mode as it puts a natural way and not so distant vs "Wide" mode plus more layered presentation, with better vocals as well and not excess low end and mind you all modes make the soundstage spacious and may even effect volume levels perception. BUT the biggest advantage is no artifacts vs Pure Surround EQ mode, which makes this DTS X 3D cleaner and best option, I Love this change. Also as you can notice if you enable the DTS : X 3D Surround mode, the sound preset options aren't available. Looks like they had tuned the ESS9218P to some libraries and couldn't get all in one shot, anyways I found the Preset options too aggressive and high delta with sound signature, to each their own.

Finally as you can see in the Screenshots, the UI is changed and the only piece missing is the "EQ option" like here in the V40 ThinkQ explains why the Music Player lost that mode everything looks same like that one from V40. I presume the EQ option is lost somewhere, if we can enable that it'd be endgame, as it has solid presets and nice custom tuning. Fingers crossed, since they borked this, LG fixes their mess with next update. Also no idea what's that Normalize switch is doing

One last note, I don't know if the DTS effect changed the sound signature a bit even when off, as Head-Fi users mentioned on V40, I cannot confirm this, would be great if anyone shares about this.

Also quite surprising how a simple line can change a LOT. Hope if any of that helps..
Enjoy the DTS X guys, love how LG is enabling this on their prev gen devices. It's fun if you dig it

Edit: Without this, your LG Music player "HiFi button" won't work, tapping on that doesn't do anything, manually going to the HiFi DAC settings is needed. But "EQ button" works. AND I have Liveboot by Chainfire installed and it works flawelessly. I guess if I disable the mod at the end of the booting, livelogcat I see some lines in red color with "mixer paths" "headphones" perhaps errors or warnings, hard to get a proper read since it's a splitsecond...this could be entirely unrelated, but just sharing my observation.

About the system wide eq. It is already there as see in effect chain, we need a build prop change or something to enable it
7th January 2019, 11:00 AM |#13  
Thanks Meter: 987

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFawkes

if it doesnt im already working on something. i just need the kernel source. if we get the us998 kernel source then we can patch the ramdisk for those other varients and make a magisk module of the needed libs and boom dts ported to the others. but im pretty sure that the carriers will push a dts update hopefully.

i dont like us998 because i cant have vowifi or volte with it and i only get 3g/1x no matter what i do. so i stay on stock sprint

Feel free to hit me up if you wanna work on it together. I haven't actually tested DTS:X with my module, just added the prop and assumed it work. If it's just ramdisk edits can't we just use AIK to decompile the kernel to get what we need?
7th January 2019, 01:26 PM |#14  
OP Recognized Contributor
Flag Atlanta, Georgia

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzyrul3z

I guess I'm deaf I use regular headphones (impedance only 16 ohms) and I can not hear any difference after switching on. It is possible that the effect is heard only after connecting high impedance headphones?

Which variant firmware are you using?
7th January 2019, 01:47 PM |#15  
Flag Oberschlesien

More
V21o H930 open EU, Nov. sec. patch
7th January 2019, 01:55 PM |#16  
Flag Atlanta, Georgia

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFawkes

yes im 100% sure it will not work on the carrier versions. it will only work on us998 firmware 20f. i was on the team that ported dts hpx from asus zenfone 5. theres no libeagle or any dts related libs on ls998 or vs996

@JohnFawkes, not wanting to start an argument but just want you to clarify statement as much as possible, please. You are merely saying in the U.S. carrier versions you have tested (presumably Sprint and Verizon) you don't see this. So, which other V30 firmware have you tested?

What about H930? It's European open market version.

What about Korea carrier versions? There's no way LG gave it to US998 first and didn't give it to Korea carrier versions. The V30 DTS announcement was on LG's Korea website. That's where I got the change log from for the US998 recent update as it seemed to cover all V30.
7th January 2019, 01:57 PM |#17  
Flag Atlanta, Georgia

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzyrul3z

V21o H930 open EU, Nov. sec. patch

@JohnFawkes says of the U.S. carrier versions he's tested, only the US998 has it. I just asked him if he's looked at any others like European H930 or the Korea carrier variants. We know the H930DS doesn't have it because they have not received any updates since August 2018. It's possible the H930 doesn't have the libs yet.
The Following User Says Thank You to ChazzMatt For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ChazzMatt Ad-Free
7th January 2019, 02:02 PM |#18  
Flag Oberschlesien

More
Ok thank you for information. We'll see if something changes after the next update
7th January 2019, 02:05 PM |#19  
Flag Cambrils
Thanks Meter: 120

More
I can confirm with H930 21o ROM the settings are there but DTS isn't working. No difference between on and off.
7th January 2019, 02:06 PM |#20  
Flag Atlanta, Georgia

Donate to Me
More
I just changed post #1 to reflect only confirmed with US998 V30/V30+/V30S or other North American variants flashed to US998 firmware. It's possible other variants do have the libs, but @JohnFawkes says Sprint LS998 and Verizon VS996 do not at this moment.
The Following User Says Thank You to ChazzMatt For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ChazzMatt Ad-Free
7th January 2019, 02:15 PM |#21  
Thanks Meter: 810

More
To clarify what I mean, yes if you have the ls998 or vs996 on the us99820f firmware then yes dts will work. But if you are running the stock sprint or stock Verizon firmware then no dts not work as the libs and kernel stuff are non existent. If you are on us99820f and you flash a custom kernel you will break dts as the kernel sources are not out yet and of all the dts phones my team has looked at they ALL use kernel stuff. When I looked at 21o Korean kdz I didn't see any dts libs at all. Maybe I overlooked it but @UltraM8 looked in the Korean firmware as well didn't see anything either. The EU versions I have not looked into but I will later unless someone else can look in system/vendor/lib/soundfx for libeagle.so. If its there then you have dts. But ANY phone on us99820f will have dts
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnFawkes For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift JohnFawkes Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)