FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Fully enable DTS 3D stereo (root needed)

14,075 posts
Thanks Meter: 10,106

By ChazzMatt, XDA Ad-Free Recognized Contributor on 6th January 2019, 08:40 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
4th EDIT: Now confirmed to work on H932 20R and newer.
_____

3rd EDIT: Now available with H930 Open EU 21W and newer.

Korean variants also have it.
____

2nd EDIT: NOW LG has put this the DTS framework in Hong Kong H930DS 21w (and newer) as well as Verizon VS996 20i (and newer). But you still need root to fully enable it.

____
1st EDIT: @JohnFawkes says he can only confirm the necessary libs are in some newer KDZ. So, until LG puts the libs in other variant firmware, then this will only work with the variants that have the libs.
V30 DTS announcement on LG's Korea website. I will update this op as more information becomes available..

_____

Fully enable DTS 3D stereo (root needed)

On recent V30 update with November 2018 and newer security patch, LG added DTS 3D stereo (mentioned in change log) but they seem to have messed it up. DTS does not appear as a separate entry and you can not turn it on/off. HOWEVER, with root, now you can. (ALL V30/V30+/V30S can be bootloader unlocked and rooted.) Credits go to the people quoted below. This mod may work with other LG series phones if LG also messed up the recent DTS 3D stereo implementation? Hopefully, LG will fix this in future update.

1st, you need V30 firmware with necessary DTS framework. (LG is now adding the feature to other variants, see note at top of post.)

2nd, you need root.

3rd, you need Build Prop editor. < I suggest that one.

_____
1) Open Build Prop Editor, go into edit mode, scroll down to very bottom where there are empty lines and paste this entry:
ro.lge.globaleffect.dts=true
2) Hit Save.
3) Reboot the phone.
4) Done.

When you go into Settings/Sound, you should now see a new category. Instead of "Hi-Fi Quad DAC", you will instead now see "Sound Quality and Effects". When you go into THAT, you will see new DTS and the already-existing Hi-Fi Quad DAC settings. See attached screenshots below and the conversation that led to this discovery...

The person who first pointed out the problem later posted the solution.

EDIT: @TotallyAnxious has now added this capability to her excellent ANXIOUS V30 Magisk mod, starting with v167. Thank you! However, that mod is only guaranteed compatible with North America variants, even though it may work with others. These do-it-yourself instructions can be done by anyone with rooted V30/V30+/V30S with appropriate stock firmware. EDIT: RIGHT NOW ONLY CONFIRMED WITH US998 20F and newer, VS996 20i and newer, Hong Kong H930DS 20w and newer

Again, hopefully LG will fix this in future update so it's also available on unrooted stock firmware.

BONUS APP: LG DTS 3D Stereo Equalizer:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/lg-...-quad-t3905870

Install. Reboot.

(DTS 3D stereo reported in change log for most recent firmware.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by å®¶ä½æ´žåº æ¹–è¾¹

What dts, i couldnt find it on 20f.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFawkes

Check audio_effects.conf and play music and type su -c dumpsys media.audio_flinger in terminal and you'll see libeagle.so. Libeagle.so is dts. There's no app or anything

SOLUTION:
Quote:
Originally Posted by å®¶ä½æ´žåº æ¹–è¾¹

Add ro.lge.globaleffect.dts=true in BUILD PROP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazzMatt

Thanks!

It creates a new category instead of just QUAD DAC, which now includes DTS with Quad DAC.
@TotallyAnxious, something else to add to your mod...

Attachment 4681258Attachment 4681259Attachment 4681260

Sent via open market LG US998 V30/V30+

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfu11

It worked on the vs996 20g zip too I'm on Verizon so the vs996 zip works the best for me.

Adding to the list of features this phone has...

LG V30/V30+
  • 1440P OLED (537 ppi)
  • Qi wireless charging
  • 3.5mm headset jack
  • Quad DAC
  • DTS 3D stereo
  • IP68 dust/water resistance
  • rear camera OIS on normal lens - plus 120 degree wide angle lens
  • superfast fingerprint sensor
  • 64GB (V30) or 128GB (V30+) internal storage
  • microSD port for additional storage
  • bootloader unlock and root
  • no notch
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2019-01-06-15-29-13_2.jpg
Views:	3356
Size:	284.8 KB
ID:	4681460   Click image for larger version

Name:	BEFORE.png
Views:	3328
Size:	218.8 KB
ID:	4681586   Click image for larger version

Name:	AFTER.png
Views:	3284
Size:	207.9 KB
ID:	4681587   Click image for larger version

Name:	DTS2.jpg
Views:	3354
Size:	193.5 KB
ID:	4681598   Click image for larger version

Name:	DTS3.png
Views:	3352
Size:	241.3 KB
ID:	4681599   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2019-01-06-15-13-54_2.png
Views:	3180
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	4681600  
The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to ChazzMatt For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ChazzMatt Ad-Free

6th January 2019, 10:04 PM |#2  
Vienna
Thanks Meter: 28

More
Worked on V30 930A 21o
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ernesto0023 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Ernesto0023 Ad-Free
6th January 2019, 11:04 PM |#3  
Flag Cambrils
Thanks Meter: 120

More
Thanks, here with H930 and 21o it's working.
Regards
mkpcxxl
The Following User Says Thank You to mkpcxxl For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mkpcxxl Ad-Free
7th January 2019, 12:43 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 567

More
Done, Working on my V30S ! Thanks to all

Initial impressions

First the total volume output is raised which can be immediately observed. Which is great ! Because due to my hearing loss or the way how LG played safe game lol with this High End DAC which powers some Astell and Kern and Desktop Audiophile DACs, I always needed to be at 70 ish but now the 60-66 level is fine, and 70 is like 75+, So to my ears it's easily 6+ step increase and this is with Normal Mode (HiFi Status App) and my IEMs which are just 10 Ohms ( I personally believe the Tavil xml files force the Quad DAC and causes some not so good tuning output from the jack and the headphone/IEM impedance - Simply I could say, I cannot increase the volume with HIM forced, I hear disturbance even with 1-2 steps maybe because of High Sensitivity or not. So I leave it at factory mode. However that's me may / may not be applied to others.)

Second the Music Player and tonal difference - With this mode the EQ option is gone from LG Music Player along with the icon, that icon is now replaced the hifi icon in music player. New option only shows pitch speed with that new button on the right bottom (previously I use the Pure Surround and Bass Boost, Pure Surround artifacts sometimes with a few tracks and mix and match with digital filters, Short for example adds more spacious sound as it says + Pure Surround takes it to next level) And the DTS X : Surround option sounds a lot different to the Pure Surround and is on a whole another dimension..

"Wide" mode cuts off Treble/High End with quite some degree (I welcome this because my IEMs, triple driver have 2 TWFK Balanced Armature drivers and V-Shape causing peaky treble) along with midrange too and adds that Massive Bass/Low end emphasis, can be said "smooth sound"

"Side to Side" puts its opposite, more on the High End and Mid range (again the Dynamic Driver in my IEM, takes a step back, also I feel in this mode the volume is piercing due to the nature of my IEMs being hot at top)

"Front" mode as it puts a natural way and not so distant vs "Wide" mode plus more layered presentation, with better vocals as well and not excess low end and mind you all modes make the soundstage spacious and may even effect volume levels perception. BUT the biggest advantage is no artifacts vs Pure Surround EQ mode, which makes this DTS X 3D cleaner and best option, I Love this change. Also as you can notice if you enable the DTS : X 3D Surround mode, the sound preset options aren't available. Looks like they had tuned the ESS9218P to some libraries and couldn't get all in one shot, anyways I found the Preset options too aggressive and high delta with sound signature, to each their own.

Finally as you can see in the Screenshots, the UI is changed and the only piece missing is the "EQ option" like here in the V40 ThinkQ explains why the Music Player lost that mode everything looks same like that one from V40. I presume the EQ option is lost somewhere, if we can enable that it'd be endgame, as it has solid presets and nice custom tuning. Fingers crossed, since they borked this, LG fixes their mess with next update. Also no idea what's that Normalize switch is doing

One last note, I don't know if the DTS effect changed the sound signature a bit even when off, as Head-Fi users mentioned on V40, I cannot confirm this, would be great if anyone shares about this.

Also quite surprising how a simple line can change a LOT. Hope if any of that helps..
Enjoy the DTS X guys, love how LG is enabling this on their prev gen devices. It's fun if you dig it

Edit: Without this, your LG Music player "HiFi button" won't work, tapping on that doesn't do anything, manually going to the HiFi DAC settings is needed. But "EQ button" works. AND I have Liveboot by Chainfire installed and it works flawelessly. I guess if I disable the mod at the end of the booting, livelogcat I see some lines in red color with "mixer paths" "headphones" perhaps errors or warnings, hard to get a proper read since it's a splitsecond...this could be entirely unrelated, but just sharing my observation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture+_2019-01-06-18-34-13.jpg
Views:	1210
Size:	255.3 KB
ID:	4681595   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture+_2019-01-06-18-34-48.jpg
Views:	1222
Size:	187.6 KB
ID:	4681596   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture+_2019-01-06-18-34-23.jpg
Views:	1194
Size:	173.0 KB
ID:	4681597  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ashtrix For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Ashtrix Ad-Free
7th January 2019, 02:09 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 810

More
Quote:

Fully enable DTS 3D stereo on all LG V30 variants (root needed)

On recent V30 updates with November 2018 and newer security patch, LG added DTS 3D stereo (mentioned in change log) but they seem to have messed it up. DTS does not appear as a separate entry and you can not turn it on/off. HOWEVER, with root, now you can. (ALL V30/V30+/V30S can be bootloader unlocked and rooted.) Credits go to the people quoted below. This mod may work with other LG series phones if LG also messed up the recent DTS 3D stereo implementation? Hopefully, LG will fix this in future update.

1st, you need V30 firmware with at least November 2018 security patch. That's when LG added the feature. Good examples: US998 20F and VS996 20G.

2nd, you need root.

3rd, you need Build Prop editor. < I suggest that one.

_____
1) Open Build Prop Editor, go into edit mode, scroll down to very bottom where there are empty lines and paste this entry:
ro.lge.globaleffect.dts=true
2) Hit Save.
3) Reboot the phone.
4) Done.

When you go into Settings/Sound, you should now see a new category. Instead of "Hi-Fi Quad DAC", you will instead now see "Sound Quality and Effects". When you go into THAT, you will see new DTS and the already-existing Hi-Fi Quad DAC settings. See attached screenshots below and the conversation that led to this discovery...

The person who first pointed out the problem later posted the solution.

EDIT: @TotallyAnxious has now added this capability to her excellent ANXIOUS V30 Magisk mod, starting with v167. Thank you! However, that mod is only guaranteed compatible with North America variants, even though it may work with others. These do-it-yourself instructions can be done by anyone with rooted V30/V30+/V30S with appropriate stock firmware.

Again, hopefully LG will fix this in future update so it's also available on unrooted stock firmware.

(DTS 3D stereo reported in change log for most recent firmware.)

SOLUTION:

Adding to the list of features this phone has...

LG V30/V30+

• 1440P OLED (537 ppi)
  • Qi wireless charging
  • 3.5mm headset jack
  • Quad DAC
  • DTS 3D stereo
  • IP68 dust/water resistance
  • rear camera OIS on normal lens - plus 120 degree wide angle lens
  • superfast fingerprint sensor
  • 64GB (V30) or 128GB (V30+) internal storage
  • microSD port for additional storage
  • bootloader unlock and root
  • no notch

this will likely only work on us99820f because the other firmwares dont have the needed dts libs. it may make the dts settings appear but it wont actually process due to the missing libs.

also dts is built into kernel as well. so if you flash lunar on us99820f then it will break dts since llunar isnt using 20f as a base since kernel source isnt released yet.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JohnFawkes For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift JohnFawkes Ad-Free
7th January 2019, 02:17 AM |#6  
OP Recognized Contributor
Flag Atlanta, Georgia

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

this will likely only work on us99820f because the other firmwares dont have the needed dts libs. it may make the dts settings appear but it wont actually process due to the missing libs.

also dts is built into kernel as well. so if you flash lunar on us99820f then it will break dts since llunar isnt using 20f as a base since kernel source isnt released yet.

well, V30S is US998.

You sure the others like VS996 and H930 didn't get those improvements with December update? Because on the LG website the DTS wasn't variant specific. Just said December software...

You know more than me, I'm just asking because LG made it sound universal.
The Following User Says Thank You to ChazzMatt For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ChazzMatt Ad-Free
7th January 2019, 02:18 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 60

More
Makes sense to me. Just did this and all of my presets are still working. Changing to dts is non perceptible to my ears. Preset filters still work.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Xblackberryuser For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Xblackberryuser Ad-Free
7th January 2019, 02:22 AM |#8  

More
Quote:

well, V30S is US998.

You sure the others like VS996 and H930 didn't get those improvements with December update? Because on the LG website the DTS wasn't variant specific. Just said December software...

yes im 100% sure it will not work on the carrier versions. it will only work on us998 firmware 20f. i was on the team that ported dts hpx from asus zenfone 5. theres no libeagle or any dts related libs on ls998 or vs996

i was apart of this

https://forum.xda-developers.com/and...le-to-t3802259
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JohnFawkes For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift JohnFawkes Ad-Free
7th January 2019, 02:24 AM |#9  
OP Recognized Contributor
Flag Atlanta, Georgia

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

yes im 100% sure it will not work on the carrier versions. it will only work on us998 firmware 20f. i was on the team that ported dts hpx from asus zenfone 5. theres no libeagle or any dts related libs on ls998 or vs996

i was apart of this

https://forum.xda-developers.com/and...le-to-t3802259

Well, here's hoping it will show up for everyone else soon. I'm in bed right now, but tomorrow I'll edit the op to clarify. Sorry everyone. Maybe next month!

Also, all the North America variants, except for H932, can flash to US998.

7th January 2019, 02:28 AM |#10  

More
Quote:

Well, here's hoping it will show up for everyone else soon. I'm in bed right now, but tomorrow I'll edit the posr6 to clarify. Sorry everyone. Maybe next month!

if it doesnt im already working on something. i just need the kernel source. if we get the us998 kernel source then we can patch the ramdisk for those other varients and make a magisk module of the needed libs and boom dts ported to the others. but im pretty sure that the carriers will push a dts update hopefully.

i dont like us998 because i cant have vowifi or volte with it and i only get 3g/1x no matter what i do. so i stay on stock sprint
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnFawkes For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift JohnFawkes Ad-Free
7th January 2019, 07:57 AM |#11  
Flag Oberschlesien
Thanks Meter: 255

More
I guess I'm deaf I use regular headphones (impedance only 16 ohms) and I can not hear any difference after switching on. It is possible that the effect is heard only after connecting high impedance headphones?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)