FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

How To - Use LG's built-in FM Radio Apps Secret Recording Feature

137 posts
Thanks Meter: 112

By JonnyTrulove, Senior Member on 25th February 2019, 01:19 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Greetings all. I am sharing this brief little How-to Guide for anyone that wants to expand the functionality of LG's FM tuner to include the ability to Record directly from the FM radio. You will have the option to record only songs using the apps hidden "Record Music Only" option, or you can record a stations full broadcast including commercials and on air talk.

First a quick side note:

*Since different variants of the V30 include the LG FM radio App while others include NextRadio and so on, for the sake of brevity I am going to assume anyone reading this already has LG's FM radio app on their phone and it is functioning. Depending on your Variant, ROM, and a couple other factors, this may not be the case for you, but maybe you are reading this and now you want this expanded functionality so you will need to download and install the FM radio app if it is not preinstalled on your device.

If you you need to add the FM radio app to your device, you can check out this thread by @rustypie below with some different dl links and a flashable zip made by @syndre or do some searching on the forum as well as on apk sites and I am sure you will find the right method and APK for your variant. (I am using the regular download of the newest version of the app that I dl'd from apkmirror)
https://forum.xda-developers.com/lg-...n-v30-t3689294

What you need:
- LG V30 (any variant, or any phone that can run the LG FM radio app)
- LG's FM Radio Application installed on your device ( I am using 7.10.8 on my device, but I had this working on the older versions of 7.0.16 and 4.70.9, so it should work regardless of which one of the apps work on your specific variant/device)
https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/lgelec...s/lg-fm-radio/
- Shortcut Master (Paid or Lite version)
https://www.apkmirror.com/?post_type...hortcut+master

I am including pictures to make this easier for people, so please check them out to aid you in getting this accomplished.

Step 1 - Open Shortcut Master and use the menu at the top right to do a search. After you click search, make sure your select "all apps" from the drop down menu so that it searches your whole phone. Search for "FM Radio".

You should see similar results to those in my attached picture. You are looking for the entry with subtext of "com.lge.fmradio.recordactivity". Click on this and press launch.
*You may want to click "favorites" or "homescreen" to make this easier to access in the future. The app will not retain this preference after use and will always revert back to the version without recording functionality, so having a link in shortcut master or on your homescreen makes it easier to get back to .

Step 2 - Pressing launch in Shortcut Master should have opened your FM radio app. You will now see two things that were not there before. One is a record button on the main screen of the app, and the other is in the recording settings menu in the menu of FM app. If you want to record exactly what you would hear on the radio, simply press the record button and let it record. If you want to record only music and not the commercials and djs, go into that new recording settings menu and enable "record music only".

That's it, You are now able to record all you would like until you close the app. Next time you open the app it will revert back to the old UI, so you will have to repeat the steps if you want to record again later.

Enjoy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FMRadioShortcutterLaunch.jpg
Views:	1824
Size:	177.6 KB
ID:	4711979   Click image for larger version

Name:	FMradioNoRecord.png
Views:	1806
Size:	237.9 KB
ID:	4711980   Click image for larger version

Name:	Record Button.png
Views:	1752
Size:	245.4 KB
ID:	4711981   Click image for larger version

Name:	Record Settings.jpg
Views:	1710
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	4711982  
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to JonnyTrulove For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift JonnyTrulove Ad-Free

25th February 2019, 01:31 AM |#2  
OP Senior Member
Flag Los Angeles / Philly

Donate to Me
More
Reserved

Also, I just realized I posted this in Theme apps and Mods, and it should probably be in Guides, News and Discussions section. I dont think i can move the whole thing, so if a Mod would like to move it to the other section, please feel free.
1st March 2019, 07:13 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 16

More
Great find!
The Following User Says Thank You to pwhooftman For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift pwhooftman Ad-Free
6th March 2019, 01:38 AM |#4  
Forum Moderator
Flag A hammock somewhere in the woods...
Thanks Meter: 1,265

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyTrulove

Reserved

Also, I just realized I posted this in Theme apps and Mods, and it should probably be in Guides, News and Discussions section. I dont think i can move the whole thing, so if a Mod would like to move it to the other section, please feel free.

In the future, when you need to have a post moved to a different subforum, report your post using the report button, and the moderators for the LG forums will be able to take care of it for you. I've reported it for you this time (these aren't my forums).
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mattgyver For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mattgyver Ad-Free
6th March 2019, 03:50 AM |#5  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Atlanta, Georgia
Thanks Meter: 10,476

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgyver

In the future, when you need to have a post moved to a different subforum, report your post using the report button, and the moderators for the LG forums will be able to take care of it for you. I've reported it for you this time (these aren't my forums).

Interesting. Never thought to "report" my own thread. About a year ago, I created a guide on the US998 Hidden Menu which I accidentally started in the Q&A section instead of the Guide section. Still bugs me when I run across it.

EDIT: OK, just reported my thread.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChazzMatt For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ChazzMatt Ad-Free
11th March 2019, 06:57 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Who uses FM radio recording today?
12th March 2019, 03:15 AM |#7  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Atlanta, Georgia

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biswarup801bk17

Same who may use FM radio.
It's free, doesn't use mobile data plan. In emergencies when WiFi and cell phone outages may occur, FM radio can still be there.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ChazzMatt For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ChazzMatt Ad-Free
12th March 2019, 05:13 PM |#8  
Flag Dubai
Thanks Meter: 239

More
Hi, wow, great find. Sometimes I am listening and I will hear something that I want to download but I know I will forget it by the time I get home.
The "record only music" feature is a bit limited though although clever.
If music is already playing it just says waiting for music so you have to wait for that track to finish, then it has to recognise talking (somehow) before it will record.
If you do not check and miss the "waiting for music" message and the track just started then you wont get it recorded.
Even so, click to record is really useful for me.

@Biswarup801bk17: why would you want to know that? tut, tut...
The Following User Says Thank You to gazzacbr For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift gazzacbr Ad-Free
13th March 2019, 09:21 PM |#9  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biswarup801bk17

Quick and easy way to make your own ring tone, notification sound, etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to JonnyTrulove For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift JonnyTrulove Ad-Free
13th March 2019, 10:13 PM |#10  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Atlanta, Georgia

Donate to Me
More
@JonnyTrulove,

You probably already know this, but you made XDA News.

https://www.xda-developers.com/recor...-fm-radio-app/
The Following User Says Thank You to ChazzMatt For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ChazzMatt Ad-Free
13th March 2019, 10:29 PM |#11  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazzMatt

@JonnyTrulove,

You probably already know this, but you made XDA News.

https://www.xda-developers.com/recor...-fm-radio-app/

I didn't, that's pretty cool, thanks for the heads up!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
fmradio, radio, recording audio, v30

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)