FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Progress Towards Root/TWRP/ROMs (not achieved yet)

451 posts
Thanks Meter: 124

By mr turtle droid, Senior Member on 18th October 2017, 04:10 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
I'm making this thread to update the progress towards root and such for the T-MOBILE LG v30
So far what I have gathered is that like the LG G6 the fastboot commands have been removed
There is in fact one fastboot commands still active and that's fastboot flash all,my proposal is that we modify a otas boot.img and root the boot.img then flash that ota package.

I don't know anything about development just throwing a idea out there

Since people can't read correctly this for the T-MOBILE Variant..you know the only one that's locked down?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mr turtle droid For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mr turtle droid Ad-Free

18th October 2017, 12:50 PM |#2  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Atlanta, Georgia
Thanks Meter: 4,710

Donate to Me
More
EDIT: the OP has now edited the thread topic at my suggestion to clarify he's only interested in the the T-Mobile LG V30. Initially it was for ALL LG V30 and his initial post thus had misinformation, which he's now corrected.

Progress Towards Root/TWRP/ROMs (not achieved yet)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr turtle droid

I'm making this thread to update the progress towards root and such
So far what I have gathered is that like the LG G6 the fastboot commands have been removed
There is in fact one fastboot commands still active and that's fastboot flash all,my proposal is that we modify a otas boot.img and root the boot.img then flash that ota package.

I don't know anything about development just throwing a idea out there

I predict Root/TWRP/ROMs will be achieved when the US998 and H930 are placed on the LG Developer Bootloader unlock list. And neither of those LG V30 phones have ADB flash commands removed, so you are not correct there.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...gb.html?email=

Oh, you are probably ONLY talking about the carrier-branded models. Only the carrier-branded models of the LG G6 and LG V30 have the ADB flash commands removed. The official carrier unlocked models are not crippled in any way.

The LG V30 official carrier unlocked models (US998* and H930) released by LG directly (and also sold by some 3rd party retailers) have full ADB commands and will be the "developer" models with full root, TWRP, custom ROMs.

These two models will be released end of October and sometime soon after that (hopefully very soon), will be placed on the LG Developer Bootloader Unlock list. Within a WEEK after that you'll have root, ROMs, TWRP, kernels for the LG V30. That's what happened with the LG G6, which has TONS of dev work. June 29, placed on the LG Developer Bootloader Unlock List, by first week of July -- BOOM!

So, you might want to edit your thread title to to be CARRIER BRANDED LG V30? Your thread title says "not achieved yet". Because when the LG V30 official carrier unlocked models (US998, H930) get root, ROMs it WILL be achieved.

You are probably talking about the carrier branded models -- but it's like saying all cars have gear boxes in the wrong location for shifting gears on the open road. Well, not all cars have "stick shifts" at all. Some have automatic transmissions. You need to clarify you are only talking about the gear boxes of cars which have manual transmissions -- where you would be shifting gears while driving.

This has all been discussed in the LG V30 "Unlock bootloader and Root" thread.

Everything you need to know about this topic was posted back in early September in posts #6, #7, #9. Because even then -- a MONTH BEFORE CARRIER RELEASE -- we knew what LG was doing with their 2017 flagships. I posted information so people could plan accordingly. If you wanted root for sure on LG V30, you knew what to buy.

In that thread, I suggested at least twice that someone open a CARRIER BRANDED ROOT thread, if they ONLY want to talk about that. But no one has yet -- unless you change (edit) the title to this thread? Over in the T-mobile LG G6 thread -- which also has the so-far useless bootloader unlock -- there was 23-page root bounty thread, but after six months has been abandoned as a lost cause.

Again, the carrier unlocked LG G6 models have two pages of root, ROMs, kernels, recovery. It's only the carrier-branded 2017 LG models which are crippled.
______

* The official carrier unlocked US998 will be sold by LG, Best Buy, Amazon, B&H Photo and possibly other retailers. Not to be confused with the U.S. Cellular model US998 which is the "unofficial" carrier unlocked model. The U.S. Cellular US998 will not qualify for bootloader unlock as it's sold by a carrier.
18th October 2017, 01:32 PM |#3  
Flag Castelvetro di Modena
Thanks Meter: 304

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazzMatt

The LG V30 official carrier unlocked models (US998* and H930) released by LG directly (and also sold by some 3rd party retailers) have full ADB commands and will be the "developer" models with full root, TWRP, custom ROMs.

This is not correct at 100%.
Internal variant have the possibility to unlock the locked commands by flashings the unlock bin file provided by LG, but normally they have locked adb/fastboot commands too.
This is not meant to discuss, but just to add some more precise informations, since I've unlocked both G5 and G6, and I'll probably get a V30 =)
18th October 2017, 02:18 PM |#4  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Atlanta, Georgia

Donate to Me
More
EDIT: the OP has now edited the thread topic at my suggestion to clarify he's only interested in the the T-Mobile LG V30. Initially it was for ALL LG V30 and his initial post thus had misinformation, which he's now corrected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killua96

This is not correct at 100%.
Internal variant have the possibility to unlock the locked commands by flashings the unlock bin file provided by LG, but normally they have locked adb/fastboot commands too.
This is not meant to discuss, but just to add some more precise informations, since I've unlocked both G5 and G6, and I'll probably get a V30 =)

Yes it is correct. The dev-friendly official carrier unlocked models have bootloader unlock on request by going to the LG Developer Bootloader Unlock page. They have full ADB flash commands after unlocking the bootloader.

You only quoted one sentence of what I wrote. I clearly mentioned the LG Developer Bootloader Unlock site several times and even included links to it.

My point is he's lumping ALL the LG V30 into one box, and some of the models will be dev friendly with capability of full ADB flash commands. Those will have root, ROMs, TWRP within a week of being placed on the LG Developer Bootloader Unlock list. It's only the CARRIER BRANDED models which are crippled.

The op should edit the title to specify carrier-branded LG V30, if that's what he really intends to discuss.
18th October 2017, 02:31 PM |#5  
Flag Castelvetro di Modena
Thanks Meter: 304

More
Quote:

Yes it is correct. The dev-friendly official carrier unlocked models have bootloader unlock on request by going to the LG Developer Bootloader Unlock page. They have full ADB flash commands after unlocking the bootloader.

You only quoted one sentence of what I wrote. I clearly mentioned the LG Developer Bootloader Unlock site several times and even included links to it.

My point is he's lumping ALL the LG V30 into one box, and some of the models will be dev friendly with capability of full ADB flash commands. Those will have root, ROMs, TWRP within a week of being placed on the LG Developer Bootloader Unlock list. It's only the CARRIER BRANDED models which are crippled.

Sorry, my bad for not having read all the post
18th October 2017, 03:10 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member
Flag columbus

More
Quote:

The op should edit the title to specify carrier-branded LG V30, if that's what he really intends to discuss.

Ok well I fixed the thread so you can leave now with your negativity
The Following User Says Thank You to mr turtle droid For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mr turtle droid Ad-Free
18th October 2017, 04:08 PM |#7  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Atlanta, Georgia

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr turtle droid

Ok well I fixed the thread so you can leave now with your negativity

There's no negativity. Just stating the discussion should be limited to a subset of the LG V30 models -- the ADB crippled carrier branded models. And in reality, it seems you are REALLY only discussing ONE specific model of that subset -- the T-Mobile LG V30?

Because all the other carrier-branded models would additionally need an exploit to crack the bootloader, once you solve the root/TWRP problems on the T-Mobile model.

Initially you said "fastboot commands have been removed" from the LG V30 -- and that's ONLY verified true of the T-mobile model. Yes, we assume it's true of the other carrier branded models, but you would have to crack the bootloaders of those models to verify. However, that statement is NOT true of the official carrier unlocked models (North America US998, European H930), as they will be placed on the LG Developer Bootloader Unlock list and will quickly have root, TWRP, ROMs, kernels, etc -- just like their LG G6 counterparts.

You've now edited the initial post to clarify, which is good and will no longer confuse people. You probably were thinking about the T-mobile LG V30 when you created this thread, but this forum is for ALL LG V30 models, not just T-mobile. If you want to discuss only T-mobile LG V30, you need to clearly state that. Now you have.

I wish you all the luck and success.
18th October 2017, 05:05 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member
Flag columbus

More
Quote:

There's no negativity. Just stating the discussion should be limited to a subset of the LG V30 models -- the ADB crippled carrier branded models. And in reality, you are REALLY only discussing ONE specific model, the T-Mobile LG V30.

Because all the other carrier-branded models would additionally need an exploit to crack the bootloader, once you solve the root/TWRP problems on the T-Mobile model.

I wish you all the luck and success.

i do apologize about not labeling it as t-mobile
18th October 2017, 06:30 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
Root
Isn't this similar to how the G5 was rooted
19th October 2017, 09:17 PM |#10  
Flag East Palo Alto
Thanks Meter: 17

More
Man rooting a tmobile v30 is going to be tough but i was looking at the build.prop just to look at things. The prop denies root obviously enough but now to figure out ways to get some partitions to mount as rw. which will take the longest time to figure out. Plus there is no way to recover the phone in case of a brick at this time. Sheesh should have listened to chazzmat.

Ps I didnt know it had a bootloader unlock count until I "unlocked my bootloader". You can relock it but it shows the number of times you have unlocked it. There goes my warranty
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171019_115526.jpg
Views:	568
Size:	263.9 KB
ID:	4308017  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to R800x_user For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift R800x_user Ad-Free
20th October 2017, 12:21 AM |#11  
Flag East Palo Alto
Thanks Meter: 17

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by R800x_user

Man rooting a tmobile v30 is going to be tough but i was looking at the build.prop just to look at things. The prop denies root obviously enough but now to figure out ways to get some partitions to mount as rw. which will take the longest time to figure out. Plus there is no way to recover the phone in case of a brick at this time. Sheesh should have listened to chazzmat.

Ps I didnt know it had a bootloader unlock count until I "unlocked my bootloader". You can relock it but it shows the number of times you have unlocked it. There goes my warranty

Does anyone know whats this for?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2017-10-19-14-53-08.png
Views:	1128
Size:	201.9 KB
ID:	4308135  
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)