FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Running any H930 AOSP ROM on an US998 converted H931

57 posts
Thanks Meter: 17

By Jkaspar, Member on 13th January 2019, 03:13 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi there, I've been struggling with this for the past couple of days and have finally figured out how to reliably get AOSP H930 roms to run on H931's.

The steps are pretty straight forward actually and are taken partially from this post here for the H933: https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...49&postcount=2

EDIT: The files I linked previously have been updated since I made this thread so instead of going through everything download this the US998(E) firmware, and just flash that then AOSP and whatever else instead of following the steps past #4. It fixes all the issues with the calling/data, etc that the H931(F) did.
US998(E): https://androidfilehost.com/?w=file-...e69d1d2ef4abbc

Needed Files:
H933 KDZ: https://forum.xda-developers.com/lg-...-h933-t3795908
US998 keep twrp: https://forum.xda-developers.com/lg-...p-zip-t3868415
H931 keep twrp: https://forum.xda-developers.com/lg-...f-rom-t3872926

Steps:
1. Starting with a US998 converted H931 with TWRP, download the H933(20G) KDZ and boot into LGUP. In LGUP choose partition dl and select everything except recovery.
2. After the phone is done flashing it should boot immediately to TWRP.
3. Immediate reboot to recovery then format data, and in advanced wipe choose dalvik, system, data, and cache and wipe that as well.
4. Next flash the US998 zip and let it boot then shut it off and return to recovery.
5. From TWRP restart the phone and let it boot normally. It will bootloop and you'll need to then return to TWRP. With out doing that I was getting some weird errors with the phone not being able to Mount the cache.
6. Clean flash the phone again
7. Now flash the H931 zip in TWRP, and dirty flash your AOSP rom of choice and whatever else you need/want (gapps, magisk, etc).

If TWRP decides it doesn't want to flash anything, then choosing wipe->format data, and restarting TWRP until it does.

That should be it! Thanks goes to @Who-Lep who originally figured it out.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask. Also let me know if anything doesn't make sense and I'll try my best to fix it.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jkaspar For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Jkaspar Ad-Free

13th January 2019, 04:30 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 49

More
Nice write up! And thanks for creating the thread.

I can't take all the credit tho, @losingway chimed with his success using the h933 kdz. I just filled in the blanks and did some troubling shooting and testing.
13th January 2019, 05:04 AM |#3  
OP Member
Flag Overland Park

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who-Lep

Nice write up! And thanks for creating the thread.

I can't take all the credit tho, @losingway chimed with his success using the h933 kdz. I just filled in the blanks and did some troubling shooting and testing.

Forgot to mention, doing it this way fixed all the issues I was having before. Phone, videos not playing, etc. They're all fixed and I am happily typing this from liquidremix
13th January 2019, 05:09 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 49

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkaspar

Forgot to mention, doing it this way fixed all the issues I was having before. Phone, videos not playing, etc. They're all fixed and I am happily typing this from liquidremix

Nice, that is awesome news!
13th January 2019, 01:24 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
You'd better not use zip of us998 20f,just use 20e.
20f will cause some problems soch as sounds
13th January 2019, 02:41 PM |#6  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Atlanta, Georgia
Thanks Meter: 10,491

Donate to Me
More
Good job. Thanks for helping others.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChazzMatt For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ChazzMatt Ad-Free
13th January 2019, 03:47 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by losingway

You'd better not use zip of us998 20f,just use 20e.
20f will cause some problems soch as sounds

Are you sure that applies to the H931 as well? I thought that was just US99820F, and it seems nobody is reporting issues in this thread so far.
13th January 2019, 04:51 PM |#8  
OP Member
Flag Overland Park

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericb982

Are you sure that applies to the H931 as well? I thought that was just US99820F, and it seems nobody is reporting issues in this thread so far.

I've flashed a multitude of different ROMs following this process throughout the last day, and haven't had any issues with sound. Just flashing the US998 and not the H931 does cause issues though.
13th January 2019, 06:14 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 209

More
EDIT, this post is confusing, don't worry about anything I've said below.

So I don't know which H931 issues specifically these steps are intended to resolve, but I was having video and sound not playing issues in Pixel Experience 2018-12-27 and US998 20F.

I was on US998 20E with Pixel Experience and not having those issues I just mentioned. I used the TWRP flashable US998 20F zip to upgrade firmware (and reflashed Pixel Experience and magisk before rebooting). The audio and video issues were immediately present. Downgraded back to 20E with the TWRP flashable zip (and reflashed Pixel Experience and magisk before rebooting) and things were working seemingly normally on reboot minus the various known issues that seem to be affecting everyone. Hope this helps someone. The audio and video not playing issues are gone at least.
13th January 2019, 07:11 PM |#10  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Atlanta, Georgia
Thanks Meter: 10,491

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malnilion

I was on US998 20E with Pixel Experience and having those issues I just mentioned.

I used the TWRP flashable US998 20F zip to downgrade firmware (and reflashed Pixel Experience and magisk before rebooting).

Upgraded back to 20E with the newer TWRP flashable zip

Going from US998 20E to US998 20F would be upgrading, not downgrading.

Then going back to US998 20E from US998 20F would be downgrading, not upgrading.

US998 20F (November 2018 security patch, but released in January 2019) is newer firmware with more features, like DTS 3D stereo libs which older US998 20E (September 2018 security patch) does not have.
The Following User Says Thank You to ChazzMatt For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ChazzMatt Ad-Free
13th January 2019, 07:31 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 209

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazzMatt

Going from 20E to 20F would be upgrading, not downgrading.

Then going back to 20E from 20F would be downgrading, not upgrading.

20F (November 2018 security patch, can but released in January 2019) is newer with more features, like DTS 3D stereo libs which older 20E (September 2018 security patch) does not have.

Lol, whoops, sleepy brain alphabet fail. Gonna go back and reverse those to help avoid confusion!

---------- Post added at 08:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:13 PM ----------

It actually looks like US998 20F is a problem for me with Pixel Experience. I think I was actually correct before about the order I flashed the ROM firmwares and wasn't thinking about 20E being the downgrade. To clarify, do the procedures in the OP get sound and video working with AOSP ROMs ultimately with the US998 20F firmware? It appears things work just fine with the H931 20F firmware, so maybe I'll just stick with that for now.
The Following User Says Thank You to Malnilion For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Malnilion Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)