Scrolling smoothness

Search This thread

Ali Mirza

Jun 20, 2014
Hyderabad
Thanks. Finally got the answer why pixel 2 is always beyond "buttery smooth" and also looking forward to the custom kernel for v30. But personally I find the xperia home the smoothest and icon packs are also supported. I use it on my pixel 2 and v30+ with pixel live paper and just love them. You can find both of the unlocked universal xperia home app and the pixel 2017 wallpaper app on XDA.

For sure I'll try to import the only model i.e (LG H930) it's single sim international version. It'll surely have bootloader unlocked. In the near future I'm eagerly waiting for devs to start on the LG V30. If you live in the US, Other model would be (LG US998), also bootloader unlocked. I wished LG allowed all variants to be bootloader unlocked :(. Congrats on your 2 new amazing devices you own. Once I get LG H930, thanks for the tip about the Xperia Home

qinyue

Nov 11, 2015
For sure I'll try to import the only model i.e (LG H930) it's single sim international version. It'll surely have bootloader unlocked. In the near future I'm eagerly waiting for devs to start on the LG V30. If you live in the US, Other model would be (LG US998), also bootloader unlocked. I wished LG allowed all variants to be bootloader unlocked :(. Congrats on your 2 new amazing devices you own. Once I get LG H930, thanks for the tip about the Xperia Home

I bought the dual sim version V30+ (HD930S) in Hong Kong. I am actually not quite confident about devs' interest in this version, but anyway the coming Oreo is also worth of waiting. Hopefully the xda rom section of v30 can be even more popular than the G6 and every Android devices in future can be as smooth as the pixel 2 with the EAS equipped kernel. The smoothness of Google pixel 2 and the performance of Tesla roadster 2, omg I see the light future.:laugh:

Reactions: Ali Mirza

Ali Mirza

Jun 20, 2014
Hyderabad
I bought the dual sim version V30+ (HD930S) in Hong Kong. I am actually not quite confident about devs' interest in this version, but anyway the coming Oreo is also worth of waiting. Hopefully the xda rom section of v30 can be even more popular than the G6 and every Android devices in future can be as smooth as the pixel 2 with the EAS equipped kernel. The smoothness of Google pixel 2 and the performance of Tesla roadster 2, omg I see the light future.:laugh:

Oh man most phones except Razer phones have a screen refresh hertz of 60Hz, which is buttery smooth by today's standards, I guess it'll be hard to compare to UI performance between Google Pixel 2 and the One Plus 5/5T or the iPhone 8/X, Go to Settings/Developer Options "Profile GPU Rendering"/ On screen as bars should be interesting comparison between devices, the higher the bar, it might indicate a micro lag or reduced frame rate during animations. On your amazing V30+ can you compare the GPU graphical bars on Nougat, when u get Oreo, I hope it should be lower, just estimating. The Tesla Roadster 2 :D what a mental beast, I'm a Mercedes-Benz fan :p:highfive:

pussnbootlp

Jan 25, 2014
Some phones exhibit choppy scrolling, especially when navigating long web pages when multiple apps are running in the background. Rate this thread to express how you smooth scrolling feels on the LG V30 under such conditions. A higher rating indicates that scrolling is always buttery smooth, even when you're reading a 10,000 word article on "how to kiss a girl".

Then, drop a comment if you have anything to add!

I have the scroll reverse in Chrome on my Hong Kong version V30+ also. Is not all the time but it will be worse when the phone been charged over night or been on for more than few hours. When I scroll down, sometime when my thumb slow down, the web page will jump back up to the top. Only happen on Chrome for now, Facebook not seem to be affected by that. But the phone home responsiveness is sluggish sometime. It seem like they have some memory or buffer issue. :crying::crying:

Jakdanyel

Mar 18, 2018
İ have the 128gb Plus model EU version and scrolling is very choppy in most of the apps. And disabling bloatware didnt solve this problem.
İ also have choppy keyboard input. İts really annoying

Ali Mirza

Jun 20, 2014
Hyderabad
Settings/Developer Options/tick on "Force GPU Rendering" should make the beast smoother faster. if root available try L Speed/Entropy/fstrim apps found on Play Store! If LG G6 gets Android 7.1.2 , the performance should improve smoother over Android 7.0 just like the LG V30 is incredibly smooth and fast due to SD 835. Android Oreo 8.0 should have faster boot times on powering up. LG flagships gets Oreo by the end of this year (November or December)

And also "Force 4x MSAA" & Disable HW Overlay".

Emu

Apr 5, 2013
Lags when using Chrome or any Chromium based browser. I'm out of options.

Emu

Apr 5, 2013
Chrome has been horrible on every device I've owned for the past 5 or updates. It's horrible even on my Nexus 6p. I've tried going back far enough to find one that is still fairly up to date but I gave up out of frustration
Thanks. Good to know that at least it's consistent. I miss when browsers were CAF optimized...

KUSOsan

Jul 21, 2013
Thanks. Good to know that at least it's consistent. I miss when browsers were CAF optimized...
I use like that 3 different browsers.
¹Chrome (which I'm not using as much anymore, mainly just to use the sync feature for switching from phone to phone)
²Firefox beta I'm slowly switching back over to mainly because of the add-ons but there engine got quite a bit faster with the new one, and
³naked browser pro (because it's bare bones so not bloated and fast but the UI isn't the prettiest but I love the URL tool bar option for being at the bottom instead of top.
Chrome had an option at one point but it was experimental and not very consistent)

I switch between browsers a lot because there always seems to be something wrong with the others either with a feature or website. It gets exhausting especially because I sold my computer and all I have had now for like 2 years are phones lol

Hoping to get a decent laptop coming up here for holidays

Reactions: mwake4goten

mwake4goten

Dec 2, 2012
Halifax, NS
I use like that 3 different browsers.
¹Chrome (which I'm not using as much anymore, mainly just to use the sync feature for switching from phone to phone)
²Firefox beta I'm slowly switching back over to mainly because of the add-ons but there engine got quite a bit faster with the new one, and
³naked browser pro (because it's bare bones so not bloated and fast but the UI isn't the prettiest but I love the URL tool bar option for being at the bottom instead of top.
Chrome had an option at one point but it was experimental and not very consistent)

I switch between browsers a lot because there always seems to be something wrong with the others either with a feature or website. It gets exhausting especially because I sold my computer and all I have had now for like 2 years are phones lol

Hoping to get a decent laptop coming up here for holidays
I used to use naked browser on my HTC 10 phone as for some reason web browsing in chrome really killed the battery on it. In fact browsing in chrome was nearly as bad to the battery as playing games... LG V30 and newer chipset and amoled screen is much better...I haven't had a problem with browsing so far and I use kiwi browser which has ad blocking. I don't think I can go back to naked browser it is a great browser for battery life but the UI is too basic for me.

I may try the firefox browsers of they can save battery more then chromium based versions.

KUSOsan

Jul 21, 2013
I may try the firefox browsers of they can save battery more then chromium based versions.

With the AMOLED screen there is a few add-ons where you can change the back ground of web pages to be black to save power and be easier on the eyes at night. Also ublock origin is one of the best adblockers as well because it's very efficient with memory and battery life.
The add-ons are what make Firefox especially now that it's been out long enough and there are more for the mobile version finally

Reactions: zacharias.maladroit

zacharias.maladroit

Recognized Developer
With the AMOLED screen there is a few add-ons where you can change the back ground of web pages to be black to save power and be easier on the eyes at night. Also ublock origin is one of the best adblockers as well because it's very efficient with memory and battery life.
The add-ons are what make Firefox especially now that it's been out long enough and there are more for the mobile version finally

agreed, Firefox is however a bit on the sloppy side while scrolling

there are hacks available to make it appear more smooth.

System-wide blocking via e.g. AdAway or https://github.com/StevenBlack/hosts where you add entries to the hosts file might be a good option to make scrolling in browsers altogether smoother since animated and cpu consuming ads aren't hogging the system (also good when you're on a limited data plan !).

On top of that disabling Javascript by default also speeds things up (if you don't need much functionality) and secures you from malware/malicious scripts that are lurking everywhere nowadays.

HMP isn't the most smooth (and consistent) scheduler, it's still used on the Snapdragon 835 (LG V30) since that's the default by Qualcomm, EAS went "mainstream" with Snapdragon 845 and allows for lower latencies since it deliver performance "in the moment", whereas HMP (seems to) offer(s) performance according to the load in the past (so anticipatory).

EAS might have somewhat higher power consumption but with enough tweaking it'll in total be superior in terms of performance and equal to HMP power consumption or even lower.

There are scrolling/animation inconsistencies across all devices on Android 8 or even 9 (seen it on Galaxy Note 3 Android 8.0, 9.0 ports - so it's not 64bit specific), might be introduced due to tweaks to cut down latencies in total and save power, but it comes at a cost of smoothness - EAS with its custom Power HAL might be the "remedy" for that. So EAS and Android 8.0 and 9.0 smoothness/consistency in animation seems to work nicely together.

There's the option on Oreo to switch to the Skia renderer in Developer options to make things more smoother/consistent (default in Android 9.0).

Other custom options would be to use a kernel-side boosted touch/frames(screen content)/app booster for HMP kernels (can also be used for EAS kernels), raise the tickrate of the kernel (at potential cost of stability, battery), make timings more aggressive in cpu scheduler, gpu tweaks and other things.

The only thing to get noticeably smoother experience on LG Stock without bootloader unlock would be switching to the Skia renderer from Opengl (in Developer Settings).

Reactions: trqster and KUSOsan

trqster

Jan 5, 2013
Samsung Galaxy S22 Plus

System-wide blocking via e.g. AdAway or https://github.com/StevenBlack/hosts where you add entries to the hosts file might be a good option to make scrolling in browsers altogether smoother since animated and cpu consuming ads aren't hogging the system (also good when you're on a limited data plan !).

On top of that disabling Javascript by default also speeds things up (if you don't need much functionality) and secures you from malware/malicious scripts that are lurking everywhere nowadays.

HMP isn't the most smooth (and consistent) scheduler, it's still used on the Snapdragon 835 (LG V30) since that's the default by Qualcomm, EAS went "mainstream" with Snapdragon 845 and allows for lower latencies since it deliver performance "in the moment", whereas HMP (seems to) offer(s) performance according to the load in the past (so anticipatory).

EAS might have somewhat higher power consumption but with enough tweaking it'll in total be superior in terms of performance and equal to HMP power consumption or even lower.

There are scrolling/animation inconsistencies across all devices on Android 8 or even 9 (seen it on Galaxy Note 3 Android 8.0, 9.0 ports - so it's not 64bit specific), might be introduced due to tweaks to cut down latencies in total and save power, but it comes at a cost of smoothness - EAS with its custom Power HAL might be the "remedy" for that. So EAS and Android 8.0 and 9.0 smoothness/consistency in animation seems to work nicely together.

There's the option on Oreo to switch to the Skia renderer in Developer options to make things more smoother/consistent (default in Android 9.0).

Other custom options would be to use a kernel-side boosted touch/frames(screen content)/app booster for HMP kernels (can also be used for EAS kernels), raise the tickrate of the kernel (at potential cost of stability, battery), make timings more aggressive in cpu scheduler, gpu tweaks and other things.

The only thing to get noticeably smoother experience on LG Stock without bootloader unlock would be switching to the Skia renderer from Opengl (in Developer Settings).

Thanks for the tip, I changed it and it seems better!!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I replied to anther thread that seems to be covering the same territory. So far the phone is super choppy in some places. Mostly web browsing with Chrome. But the LG home launcher also labs really badly. I wouldn't care so much if it wasn't for knock on. Anyone else having issues? I've messed with all the settings I could think of. Next step is factory reset but I'm trying to avoid that.

Sent from my LG-H932 using XDA-Developers Legacy app

---------- Post added at 10:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:59 PM ----------

Actually, had a thought. I'm using a CPU monitoring app and it seems that cores 5-8 aren't being used much. Maybe it's a chip issue? Or maybe something's wrong with the kernel? I'm mostly a dummy when it comes to this stuff so forgive my wild speculation.

Sent from my LG-H932 using XDA-Developers Legacy app

Are you by chance using any auto fill apps? I was using Lastpass auto fill and it caused lots of choppy scrolling. After disabling it everything was very smooth.
    Settings-->Accessibility-->Services
    just got my phone fully setup last night. zero screen issues of any kind to report. even at 0% brightness nothing to report.
    Latest t mobile software update fixed the scroll lag and made the phone NOTICEABLY faster.
    we really need to lower the age of consent by a few years