FORUMS

Whiskeyomega's V30 Sound Mods

183 posts
Thanks Meter: 315

By Whiskeyomega, Senior Member on 1st March 2018, 01:12 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
So Im testing a few various options tonight with mixer_paths_tavil.xml and I genuinely believe that LG have done goofed.
What I think ive found is the V30 has 2 sound devices (not sure if its 2 DACS) but there is a low power device which seems to be what would be the default sound device for a LG phone (maybe the G6) and there is also the decent ES9218P DAC chip.

What LG has done as made a bad job of the mixer_paths_tavil.xml which includes references a ES9018 which was never put in the phone or any phone AFAIK.
But what I have just noticed is if you are using a set of low impedance headphones . It goes through to the low power sound device chip but keeps the HIFI DAC switch working so the EQ can still work. Unless you make it think you are running a different type of headset which it calls "Advanced" which is high impedance then it runs to the decent DAC and there are no problems.

I have also noticed in all the mixer_paths_tavil.xml from around the world markets that there are differences in settings which should be the same. Which is what could account for some people saying Low Impedance still runs through the same decent DAC and some people saying it doesnt. Either way mixer_paths_tavil.xml is a maze of old and incorrect information.

So with that in mind. I'd Like to share the results of my work with more always coming.

Quote:

Audio Mod Options inside the zips

1 = "Can I play Daddy?"(No Mods)
2 = "Don't hurt me" (Good DAC SQ For Low Impedance Headphones/AUX)
3 = "Bring 'em on!" (Loud For All Headphones )
4 = "I am Death Incarnate!", (Very Loud For All Headphones )
5 = "I'm too young to die", (Dual Speaker Mod by @Dante63 only)
6 = "Hey, not too rough" (DS + Good DAC SQ For Low Impedance Headphones/AUX)
7 = "Hurt me plenty" (DS + Loud For All Headphones )
8 "Nightmare!" (DS + Very Loud For All Headphones)

Put in /system/etc for Nougat or /system/vendor/etc or Oreo (Requires root)

NO LONGER AVAILABLE DUE TO GETTING STOLEN WITH NO CREDIT
The Following 37 Users Say Thank You to Whiskeyomega For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Whiskeyomega Ad-Free
1st March 2018, 01:50 AM |#2  
OP Senior Member
Flag Manchester

More
Anyone got a stock version from Korea?
1st March 2018, 03:09 AM |#3  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Atlanta, Georgia
Thanks Meter: 14,104

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskeyomega

Anyone got a stock version from Korea?

Does either of these help?

https://forum.xda-developers.com/lg-...t3668814/page2

https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho....php?t=3712009
1st March 2018, 07:42 AM |#4  
Flag Timisoara
Thanks Meter: 405

More
@Whiskeyomega thanks for investigating this. It would be interesting to know in what countries the default quality is better.
1st March 2018, 09:50 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
I'm dying to apply @Whiskeyomega 's high impedance fixes to my v30 so I fully enjoy my Hifiman Edition X v2. The swapping cable's trick to enforce high impedance works, the bump in SQ and Volume is simply stellar, however, this method is also very cumbersome.

After successfully unlocking the bootloader I naively assumed that this would be the same as root access. I'm am now learning that this is only the first step.

So far, I did not find a guide or F.A.Q. in the v30 section of this forum how to gain full root access, especially for first timers like me.

Doing additional research I did find this article: androidblog.gs/twrp-root-lg-v30 (I'm not allowed to post links yet). I am very careful however, since 1 person responded he got stuck at his boot screen.

In general, it is clear to me I need to
1. install TWRP and
2. then load either Magisks or SuperSU, (not sure which is prefered and why )
3. so I can use SE File Explorer in root mode that allows me to write to /system/etc

Am I correct? What is the easiest way to achieve this?

I apologise, this is probably not the right location in this forum, where should I go/ask?

PS: i found another guide: guidebelajar.blogspot.nl/2017/12/guide-how-to-root-lg-v30-h930-for-Europe.html <<< it this one correct?
The Following User Says Thank You to flextremes For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift flextremes Ad-Free
1st March 2018, 12:21 PM |#6  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Atlanta, Georgia

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by flextremes

I'm dying to apply @Whiskeyomega 's high impedance fixes to my v30 so I fully enjoy my Hifiman Edition X v2. The swapping cable's trick to enforce high impedance works, the bump in SQ and Volume is simply stellar, however, this method is also very cumbersome.

After successfully unlocking the bootloader I naively assumed that this would be the same as root access. I'm am now learning that this is only the first step.

So far, I did not find a guide or F.A.Q. in the v30 section of this forum how to gain full root access, especially for first timers like me.

How about a guide from this very forum? Written about a month ago (February 4, 2018) by @Wotta. Go to that thread and thank him for writing it up!

Unlocking and Rooting - TWRP/Magisk Step-by-Step
https://forum.xda-developers.com/lg-...-step-t3745006

Quote:
Originally Posted by flextremes

In general, it is clear to me I need to
1. install TWRP and
2. then load either Magisks or SuperSU, (not sure which is prefered and why )
3. so I can use SE File Explorer in root mode that allows me to write to /system/etc

Am I correct? What is the easiest way to achieve this?

I apologise, this is probably not the right location in this forum, where should I go/ask?

For point #3, I prefer Root Explorer app myself, but to each his or her own.

For point #2, after you flash (install) Magisk or SuperSu in TWRP (only use one or the other, not both), apps that need root access will throw up a prompt asking and you will grant root access.
  • SuperSu is the stalwart that will work.
    I'm a big fan of SuperSu.
  • Magisk is the "new kid on the block" that is great about cloaking root and even bootloader unlock.
    Apps like Android Pay won't allow root because merchants fear security risks. Some games like Pokemon won't allow root because you can hide VPN location changes to cheat. Stuff like that. So, they check something called SafetyNet. Magisk lets you have root and those apps won't know. I don't use Android Pay, and I don't play location-based games on my phone, but if you do that's the difference.

Actually, see the re-post below because I answered more fully in that post...

It's actually funny. I just realized I was REPLYING to @Wotta, who who wrote that step by step guide I just linked above. He asked this question below about rooting on February 3. I answered, then he went through the rooting process himself, and wrote the guide the next day to help others.

That's how XDA works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotta

Other than Android Pay, what do you lose with root?

With Magisk, which hides bootloader unlock and root, you can still have Android Pay. It allows you to pass SafetyNet.

Yes, it's cat and mouse with Google, so you'll need to keep it updated.

But really that's the whole point of Magisk to give you root without seemingly changing your phone in any way. No alterations can be detected.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/apps/magisk
Quote:

The Universal Systemless Interface, to create an altered mask of the system without changing the system itself.

What do you lose?

Well I'm all for root but I'll play devil's advocate...
  • You will lose your warranty -- but you gain ownership of your phone.
  • You will lose easy OTA updates -- but those will always be posted here in the XDA forums in TWRP flashable form.
    Usually the whole KDZ will be posted, but by that point you probably will want custom ROMs or at least tweaked, debloated stock ROMs and OTAs of just regular stock firmware won't really interest you. The ROMs are usually quickly updated to include any (safe) changes in the OTA updates.
  • Sometimes apps that won't work with root (Android Pay, some banking apps) will temporarily stop working until Magisk gets updated.
    The past 3 years I've had a Motorola phone with "regular" root (not Magisk) and I've just not used anything like Android Pay that didn't allow me to have root. Luckily my banking app and corporate email doesn't care.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ChazzMatt For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ChazzMatt Ad-Free
1st March 2018, 01:00 PM |#7  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazzMatt

How about a guide from this very forum? Written about a month ago (February 4, 2018) by @Wotta. Go to that thread and thank him for writing it up!

Thank you for all this information and pointing me in the right direction! I accidentally (through google) found the same amazing thread, this is exactly what I was looking for.

I honestly did my searches before I posted, could not find it before., this one was burried, last post was too long ago. I'm sure not the only one with these beginner questions. It would be helpful if they stickied this thread for total rooting noobs like me so you guys do not need to answer rookie questions like mine.

Again, thanks!
1st March 2018, 10:34 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member
Flag Manchester

More
Tried to change the RX Digital Volume values tonight from 84 to 89 made no difference.
2nd March 2018, 10:44 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 9

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazzMatt

What do you lose?

Well I'm all for root but I'll play devil's advocate...

• You will lose your warranty -- but you gain ownership of your phone.

If you're in Europe, warranty isn't automatically voided when you unlock your bootloader. The LG site may have a disclaimer saying that it is, but they have to abide by European rules.

More info here : https://www.piana.eu/root/
2nd March 2018, 12:18 PM |#10  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Atlanta, Georgia

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchmalibu

If you're in Europe, warranty isn't automatically voided when you unlock your bootloader. The LG site may have a disclaimer saying that it is, but they have to abide by European rules.

More info here : https://www.piana.eu/root/

True, that Europe laws supercede LG policies. But I've willingly voided my warranty on all my phones since 2014. I live in the U.S.

The reason I mentioned it prominently is because people get flustered when they see that on LG's website. Yes, you have to agree to void your warranty. Consider it VOIDED. Now whether there's loopholes (ah, you live in Europe) that's between them and LG if something happens to the phone.
4th March 2018, 09:18 AM |#11  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskeyomega

What I think ive found is the V30 has 2 sound devices (not sure if its 2 DACS) but there is a low power device which seems to be what would be the default sound device for a LG phone (maybe the G6) and there is also the decent ES9218P DAC chip.

It's probably coupled with their Qualcomm WCD9341 + ES9218P. But this is just a speculation/guess since "non hifi" mode works with DSD/Hires files too

Another option is that it goes through software mixer and through ES9218P with some predetermined settings
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)