FORUMS

Bootloader Unlock, install TWRP and root open market V30S

18,000 posts
Thanks Meter: 13,993

By ChazzMatt, Recognized Contributor on 24th May 2018, 03:48 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
This is also confirmed to work for the open market V30S sold by B&H Photo:

WTF V30/V30+/V30S Bootloader Unlock and Root (MOST VARIANTS)

Enjoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coalase

I am glad to report (bootloader) unlock worked on the new V30S

Simply unboxed, loaded new unlock bin (ADB returned "OKAY"), and rebooted

LG Developer unlock page method did not work

Big thank you to everyone, @txanmoe and @ChazzMatt in particular.

Matte Blue looks pretty sweet as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazzMatt

Fantastic! B&H photo V30S?

I'll edit the instructions post tonight to include to include the V30S

Quote:
Originally Posted by coalase

correct

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ChazzMatt For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ChazzMatt Ad-Free
25th May 2018, 01:33 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 13

More
I'm sure the answer is that it won't work, but I want to confirm.

Will doing this ruin LG Pay when it's eventually released in the US or will there be a way to fix it IE Magisk or something.

Recently switched from an S8 and I miss Samsung Pay.
2nd June 2018, 04:02 AM |#3  
Flag DFW Texas
Thanks Meter: 20

More
like the look of the V30S, especially since it's $230 cheaper than the V35. Has anyone actually bought and tried it? I'd like to use it on Verizon and it has all the right bands to work but I want to be sure. And it would be nice to know if it's Treble enabled.
5th June 2018, 05:22 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 13

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homestar1217

like the look of the V30S, especially since it's $230 cheaper than the V35. Has anyone actually bought and tried it? I'd like to use it on Verizon and it has all the right bands to work but I want to be sure. And it would be nice to know if it's Treble enabled.

As a user of Straight Talk, which uses Verizon networks, the phone works just fine.

Switched from an S8+ to this. So far I'm liking it. The only real difference I've noticed is that it's only slightly smaller. Battery great. 50% after 12 hours. About four of which it was used.
The Following User Says Thank You to Xanderghul For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Xanderghul Ad-Free
14th June 2018, 12:58 AM |#5  
Recognized Themer
Flag Havasu
Thanks Meter: 2,065

Donate to Me
More
V30S on the way
Sweet my V30S is on the way from B&H!!

Cheers
12th August 2018, 12:18 AM |#6  
OP Recognized Contributor
Flag Atlanta, Georgia

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanderghul

I'm sure the answer is that it won't work, but I want to confirm.

Will doing this ruin LG Pay when it's eventually released in the US or will there be a way to fix it IE Magisk or something.

Recently switched from an S8 and I miss Samsung Pay.

You can use Magisk to hide bootloader unlock and root.

You need to ask these questions over in the V30 forum. The V30S is just another V30 "Joan" variant, like the V30+. They are all "Joan" devices, same TWRP works for all, same ROMs work for all.

The LG V35 is the one that is different that need their own forum! V30S is just another V30, but with more RAM.
The Following User Says Thank You to ChazzMatt For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ChazzMatt Ad-Free
26th September 2018, 09:27 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 277

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazzMatt

You need to ask these questions over in the V30 forum. The V30S is just another V30 "Joan" variant, like the V30+. They are all "Joan" devices, same TWRP works for all, same ROMs work for all.

The LG V35 is the one that is different that need their own forum! V30S is just another V30, but with more RAM.

Are the V30S and V30 (and V30+, and...) stock ROMs the same? In the V30 forum, for the latest 20E update, you wrote:
Quote:

NOTE: This is for all V30/V30+ US998 -- open market US998 V30/V30+ as well as U.S Cellular US998 V30/V30+.

"V30s" is not in the list. Is that because it's not compatible... or because LG has mucked up the model numbers so much that it's hard to keep straight and it was accidentally omitted? lol

I thought the V30S has Google Lens and more AI options in the camera and voice controls, hence the ThinQ in the model name. Like the G7 has. If all this is true... Does that mean I could flash the V30S stock ROM to my V30 (US998, 64GB, 4GB) and get those extra features?! Or, am I wrong, and the stock V30S ROM is the same as my stock V30 ROM? Where can I even get the V30S stock ROM? It's not in the V30 forum, nor is it here.

I know that LG has cast off the shackles of the traditional release cycle, and is releasing much more iterative updates more frequently... so... at what point does the hardware diverge enough to prevent cross-flashing the stock ROMs among versions?

Thanks for the help. I've been happily humming along with my US998 on 20B lately, and just recently played with a G7 and Google Lens in the camera. Now I'm digging a little and getting confused.
26th September 2018, 09:59 PM |#8  
OP Recognized Contributor
Flag Atlanta, Georgia

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhant0m

Are the V30S and V30 (and V30+, and...) stock ROMs the same? In the V30 forum, for the latest 20E update, you wrote:

"V30s" is not in the list. Is that because it's not compatible... or because LG has mucked up the model numbers so much that it's hard to keep straight and it was accidentally omitted? lol

I thought the V30S has Google Lens and more AI options in the camera and voice controls, hence the ThinQ in the model name. Like the G7 has. If all this is true... Does that mean I could flash the V30S stock ROM to my V30 (US998, 64GB, 4GB) and get those extra features?! Or, am I wrong, and the stock V30S ROM is the same as my stock V30 ROM? Where can I even get the V30S stock ROM? It's not in the V30 forum, nor is it here.

I know that LG has cast off the shackles of the traditional release cycle, and is releasing much more iterative updates more frequently... so... at what point does the hardware diverge enough to prevent cross-flashing the stock ROMs among versions?

Thanks for the help. I've been happily humming along with my US998 on 20B lately, and just recently played with a G7 and Google Lens in the camera. Now I'm digging a little and getting confused.

Yes, ALL V30/V30+/V30S are ThinQ, with Oreo. ALL the US998 V30/V30+/V30S use the SAME KDZ.

Sent via open market LG US998 V30/V30+
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChazzMatt For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ChazzMatt Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)