FORUMS

General Accessories Thread (Recommendations Requested)!

314 posts
Thanks Meter: 116
 
By Mejilan, Senior Member on 26th April 2020, 07:15 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
So I'm kind of surprised that we haven't seen some form of this topic pop up yet. I'm guessing this phone is bombing more than the usual LG flagship. Shame...
But I'm wondering what the best cases, tempered glass screen protectors, and wireless charger pads/stands folks out there are using for their new V60s.
I know that as far as cases and glass screen protectors, pickings are still slim.
But surely there are some quality high-speed wireless charging solutions out there that can make the most out of whatever is built in to the V60, no?

Recommendations with links are most appreciated. Also, FWIW, the links I provide are for convenience only. I am not an Amazon affiliate and do not stand to make any money at all from any purchases anyone makes by clicking those links. Just wanted to get that disclaimer out of the way. I'm also not promoting or shilling for these products, as one I linked to has yet to arrive, and the other has but I've yet to use it.

For now, I'm using the following:
Case 1: Some clear plastic supposedly non-yellowing case that came free with my AT&T online order. I don't have a link handy for it, apologies. It does the job, for now.

Case 2: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
DAMONDY LG V60 ThinQ Case, LG V60 Case,Slim TPU Cover Thin Flexible Bumper Carbon Fiber Lightweight Protective Phone Cases for LG V60 ThinQ -Black

This one has been ordered and supposedly shipped, but hasn't arrived yet. I cannot vouch for it. Order page says it should arrive between May 13 - May 23, but tracking suggests it arrived at the local USPS hub, so I should probably get it at some point next week.

Update! This case arrived on Monday and I definitely prefer it to the freebie clear case I got from AT&T with my order. Not much to say other than it looks decent, feels good, the buttons work well, and while it does wrap around a bit in the front, it doesn't push up against my glass screen protector, so there's no potential for dislodgement. It does the job.

Screen protector: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
[3-Pack] WRJ Screen Protector for LG V60 ThinQ 5G (Not for The LG Dual Screen),HD Anti-Scratch Anti-Fingerprint No-Bubble 9H Hardness Tempered Glass for LG V60 ThinQ/G9 ThinQ

Ordered and arrived, but I haven't applied it yet. I'll be doing so later tonight and can chime in with my experience if there's a demand. I've heard that if you have fingerprint unlock enabled, some glass protectors will mess up and cause your device to not recognize your fingerprint(s). The recommended solution is to delete all fingerprint biometric data, apply the screen protector, then redo your fingerprint(s) setup.

Update! So this is a three-pack. I just finished applying one to my phone, and a second one onto the dual-screen accessory I'm no longer using. Basic screen protector application rules apply. Clean the surface you'll be working on of dust. Clean your hands thoroughly to minimize skin oil. Maybe hit up the website's application instruction video. Wipe down the phone's screen with the included wet wipe. Then dry it off with the also included dry wipe. Peel off the screen protector's plastic covering with the protector held face down, carefully align, place, and use your fingers to squeak any bubbles out. The fit is decent enough. It doesn't provide 100% coverage, but I wouldn't want it to, otherwise any case with even a little wrap-around would push against the edge of the glass and potentially dislodge it from the screen. It COULD provide a bit more coverage, but I'd rather a bit less than a bit more, in this case. I forgot to delete my fingerprint biometrics, and can confirm that none of my prints were recognized through the glass protector. I had to use the pattern unlock, delete the fingerprints, set them back up, and then redo the biometrics on specific apps that utilize them. Bit of a hassle, but worth it for the peace of mind, I suppose.

Wireless charger: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
CHOETECH Wireless Charger, Wireless Charging Stand with Cooling Fan Compatible iPhone 11/11 Pro/11 Pro Max/XR/XS/XS Max/X/8,10W Fast Charge Samsung Galaxy Note 10/S20/S20+/S10 (No AC Adapter)

I actually have two of these, one at home, and one at the office that I haven't been able to use for two months because, you know, working from home. I bought them for the V30, and they work fine on the V60 as well, even through both the AT&T freebie case I mentioned above, and surprisingly through the thicker dual-screen accessory case as well. I guess I'm just wondering if the V60 has better wireless charging capabilities built-in, and if I should be looking at newer wireless charging solutions to better optimize my wireless charging experience.

Cheers! I wanted to make a thread requesting recommendations, but not without providing SOME feedback about my own experiences (so far) as well. I will update this post once I finish applying the new screen protector (and redoing my biometrics), and once the new case arrives. Edit - Screen protector applied. Relevant part of post updated. Edit 2 - Case arrived and post updated.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mejilan For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Mejilan Ad-Free
29th April 2020, 06:49 PM |#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 20
 
More
It says it's not for the dual screen. Can you confirm whether the dual screen will close with protectors on both sides
29th April 2020, 07:46 PM |#3  
Ryano89's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Indiana
Thanks Meter: 655
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mejilan

So I'm kind of surprised that we haven't seen some form of this topic pop up yet. I'm guessing this phone is bombing more than the usual LG flagship. Shame...
But I'm wondering what the best cases, tempered glass screen protectors, and wireless charger pads/stands folks out there are using for their new V60s.
I know that as far as cases and glass screen protectors, pickings are still slim.
But surely there are some quality high-speed wireless charging solutions out there that can make the most out of whatever is built in to the V60, no?

Recommendations with links are most appreciated. Also, FWIW, the links I provide are for convenience only. I am not an Amazon affiliate and do not stand to make any money at all from any purchases anyone makes by clicking those links. Just wanted to get that disclaimer out of the way. I'm also not promoting or shilling for these products, as one I linked to has yet to arrive, and the other has but I've yet to use it.

For now, I'm using the following:
Case 1: Some clear plastic supposedly non-yellowing case that came free with my AT&T online order. I don't have a link handy for it, apologies. It does the job, for now.

Case 2: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
DAMONDY LG V60 ThinQ Case, LG V60 Case,Slim TPU Cover Thin Flexible Bumper Carbon Fiber Lightweight Protective Phone Cases for LG V60 ThinQ -Black

This one has been ordered and supposedly shipped, but hasn't arrived yet. I cannot vouch for it. Order page says it should arrive between May 13 - May 23, but tracking suggests it arrived at the local USPS hub, so I should probably get it at some point next week.

Update! This case arrived on Monday and I definitely prefer it to the freebie clear case I got from AT&T with my order. Not much to say other than it looks decent, feels good, the buttons work well, and while it does wrap around a bit in the front, it doesn't push up against my glass screen protector, so there's no potential for dislodgement. It does the job.

Screen protector: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
[3-Pack] WRJ Screen Protector for LG V60 ThinQ 5G (Not for The LG Dual Screen),HD Anti-Scratch Anti-Fingerprint No-Bubble 9H Hardness Tempered Glass for LG V60 ThinQ/G9 ThinQ

Ordered and arrived, but I haven't applied it yet. I'll be doing so later tonight and can chime in with my experience if there's a demand. I've heard that if you have fingerprint unlock enabled, some glass protectors will mess up and cause your device to not recognize your fingerprint(s). The recommended solution is to delete all fingerprint biometric data, apply the screen protector, then redo your fingerprint(s) setup.

Update! So this is a three-pack. I just finished applying one to my phone, and a second one onto the dual-screen accessory I'm no longer using. Basic screen protector application rules apply. Clean the surface you'll be working on of dust. Clean your hands thoroughly to minimize skin oil. Maybe hit up the website's application instruction video. Wipe down the phone's screen with the included wet wipe. Then dry it off with the also included dry wipe. Peel off the screen protector's plastic covering with the protector held face down, carefully align, place, and use your fingers to squeak any bubbles out. The fit is decent enough. It doesn't provide 100% coverage, but I wouldn't want it to, otherwise any case with even a little wrap-around would push against the edge of the glass and potentially dislodge it from the screen. It COULD provide a bit more coverage, but I'd rather a bit less than a bit more, in this case. I forgot to delete my fingerprint biometrics, and can confirm that none of my prints were recognized through the glass protector. I had to use the pattern unlock, delete the fingerprints, set them back up, and then redo the biometrics on specific apps that utilize them. Bit of a hassle, but worth it for the peace of mind, I suppose.

Wireless charger: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
CHOETECH Wireless Charger, Wireless Charging Stand with Cooling Fan Compatible iPhone 11/11 Pro/11 Pro Max/XR/XS/XS Max/X/8,10W Fast Charge Samsung Galaxy Note 10/S20/S20+/S10 (No AC Adapter)

I actually have two of these, one at home, and one at the office that I haven't been able to use for two months because, you know, working from home. I bought them for the V30, and they work fine on the V60 as well, even through both the AT&T freebie case I mentioned above, and surprisingly through the thicker dual-screen accessory case as well. I guess I'm just wondering if the V60 has better wireless charging capabilities built-in, and if I should be looking at newer wireless charging solutions to better optimize my wireless charging experience.

Cheers! I wanted to make a thread requesting recommendations, but not without providing SOME feedback about my own experiences (so far) as well. I will update this post once I finish applying the new screen protector (and redoing my biometrics), and once the new case arrives. Edit - Screen protector applied. Relevant part of post updated. Edit 2 - Case arrived and post updated.

I'm curious if you were able to put a protector on both screens and if it causes any problems
29th April 2020, 07:47 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 116
 
More
Updated my original post again now that the new case has arrived and I've been using it for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pflatlyne

It says it's not for the dual screen. Can you confirm whether the dual screen will close with protectors on both sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryano89

I'm curious if you were able to put a protector on both screens and if it causes any problems

No issues whatsoever closing the dual-screen case with the same tempered glass screen protector applied to both screens.
I have no idea why it says it's not meant for the dual-screen.
That said, the very nature of the dual-screen's case and the way it closes and protects both screens probably makes it safe to eschew screen protectors entirely.
But for my part, better safe than sorry!

Pro-tip: Have the second screen powered up before applying so that you can see the second screen's fake notch (which mirrors the one on the phone despite the second screen not having a camera there) in order to better line up the screen protector before applying.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mejilan For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Mejilan Ad-Free
30th April 2020, 10:53 PM |#5  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 12
 
More
Is there a dual screen case? I got this phone to game on while I have my Huawei Mate 30 Pro 5G as a daily. Does it even need a case if I have it in the dual screen the whole time?
1st May 2020, 12:53 AM |#6  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 116
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1212121212121212

Is there a dual screen case? I got this phone to game on while I have my Huawei Mate 30 Pro 5G as a daily. Does it even need a case if I have it in the dual screen the whole time?

The dual-screen accessory comes built-into a folio-style case.
When closed, both screens face each other and you can't access either.
When open, the two screens are side-by-side (or one on top of the other, if in landscape orientation).
The case itself comes with a small outer screen that will show the time, date, and icons for notifications.
2nd May 2020, 10:35 AM |#7  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 820
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mejilan

The dual-screen accessory comes built-into a folio-style case.
When closed, both screens face each other and you can't access either.
When open, the two screens are side-by-side (or one on top of the other, if in landscape orientation).
The case itself comes with a small outer screen that will show the time, date, and icons for notifications.

Can you control music with the small outer screen?

Sent from my LG-H932 using XDA Labs
2nd May 2020, 06:03 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 116
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by BROKEN1981

Can you control music with the small outer screen?

Sent from my LG-H932 using XDA Labs

I haven't tried, but I don't think it's a touchscreen at all and I'm no longer using the accessory. Hopefully someone else can chime in.
2nd May 2020, 10:17 PM |#9  
Ryano89's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Indiana
Thanks Meter: 655
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by BROKEN1981

Can you control music with the small outer screen?

No you cannot interact with it at all
3rd May 2020, 12:56 AM |#10  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 25
 
More
This is the case I got and really like it when not using the dual screen.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083LFV2WQ..._fHGREbN7F7QN5

This is the full review I wrote for it:

I bought this case to hold me over until my dual screen case arrived, so I wasn't expecting anything spectacular. I was rather surprised at just how well this case works! It fits the V60 perfectly, feels nice in the hand (it actually allows for a more secure grip on the phone), and good face down protection. The textured sides are a nice touch, adding to the secure grip aspect of the case. The back of the case is smooth and just tacky enough to not be slippery while also letting your fingers slide around when adjusting your grip.

If I had to nitpick, there's only two small points of notice (I wouldn't even call them a problem). One is all the product listing images show this as a smooth back design. The inside of the case back is textured with tiny dots. I'm not sure the purpose of these, but it makes for something like a matte look when viewing from a distance. The other is the volume button is a single exterior mold with no tactile separation between the volume up and down buttons. This doesn't seem to cause unexpected button presses, as the inside is molded better, but may be something to get use to. Both of these points are not worth docking a star for and are more aesthetic than functional concerns.
3rd May 2020, 03:00 PM |#11  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 820
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mejilan

I haven't tried, but I don't think it's a touchscreen at all and I'm no longer using the accessory. Hopefully someone else can chime in.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryano89

No you cannot interact with it at all

This is a missed opportunity by LG. They could have used a cheap LCD screen for the outer screen.

I think I might pass on this device.

Sent from my LG-H932 using XDA Labs
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
accessories, case, charger, lg v60, screen protector

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes