FORUMS

removing system apps

609 posts
Thanks Meter: 177

By lendawg, Senior Member on 17th May 2020, 01:37 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Has anyone here uses package disabler pro or adb to remove bloatware and/or system apps? If so which apps did you disable/remove? Did it affect performance and/or battery life at all?
17th May 2020, 04:31 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 116

More
I used the ADB method. That said, some of the software (mostly pre-installed games) can be uninstalled normally, which is nice.
For the rest, I used ADB commands in Fastboot to remove them.

I was working mostly blind, since I hadn't seen anyone with a list, but I think I wound up nuking somewhere between two and three dozen system apps.
Sadly, I didn't write out a list. I tried to err on the side of caution and not nuke anything that sounded important.
Crap like the Game of Thrones game, CNN app and other news apps, radio apps, LG versions of stuff I was using Google apps of (most LG software, actually).
I left things like LG Home and LG Dual Screen installed. Obviously didn't touch System UI or anything that seemed critical.
I also removed some AT&T garbage I don't want or need.

I just Googled up generic instructions and winged it after that.
I did all this on my first day with the phone (early April) so I really don't have any way to compare performance or battery life before and after.
But I haven't had a single performance issue with this phone in over a month of use, and battery has been absolutely beastly.
(I think you've seen a comprehensive post I made in another thread of yours that shows my software environment and how I replaced pretty much everything (launcher, navigation gesture, live wallpaper, etc.) with third-party software that I prefer).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mejilan For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Mejilan Ad-Free
17th May 2020, 04:35 PM |#3  
Flag Indiana
Thanks Meter: 647

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mejilan

I used the ADB method. That said, some of the software (mostly pre-installed games) can be uninstalled normally, which is nice.
I was working mostly blind, since I hadn't seen anyone with a list, but I think I wound up nuking somewhere between two and three dozen system apps.
Sadly, I didn't write out a list. I tried to err on the side of caution and not nuke anything that sounded important.
Crap like the Game of Thrones game, CNN app and other news apps, radio apps, LG versions of stuff I was using Google apps of (most LG software, actually).
I left things like LG Home and LG Dual Screen installed. Obviously didn't touch System UI or anything that seemed critical.

What's the benefits to disabling all of this stuff? I've spent years debloating my devices and never actually noticed any benefit to it. It's a genuine question, as I'm deciding whether or not to do it myself as well
17th May 2020, 04:36 PM |#4  
Flag lancaster
Thanks Meter: 758

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Do you have the commands? I need to dump chrome as it keeps re-enabling itself and I absolutely HATE chrome. Keeps giving itself permissions I've denied it as well. This has been happening several times a day for about 4 days now
17th May 2020, 05:07 PM |#5  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryano89

What's the benefits to disabling all of this stuff? I've spent years debloating my devices and never actually noticed any benefit to it. It's a genuine question, as I'm deciding whether or not to do it myself as well

For one, it just gets rid of apps and icons for crap I never wanted to begin with. I know that most third-party launchers have options to hide apps, but I wanted a solution that was a tad more permanent (though without root, this isn't a 100% wiping of these apps. It's just the best we can manage without root). Since I tend to use Google's main suite of apps for most things, and replace things like my launcher, navigation gestures, and other critical parts of the software environment with third-party solutions, I don't really want a lot of overlapping apps that I'm never going to use. So nuking things like OEM or Carrier versions of Google apps is usually one of my first priorities. Also bullshit like Device Wellness apps, Carrier promotional apps and games, duplicate contacts, gallery, keyboard, dialer, email, contacts, calendar, messaging and browser apps. All that stuff goes. I have no use for two or three different versions of all these apps on my device. I love Chrome, Google Photos, the Google Dialer, Google Contacts, Google Calendar, Google's RCS-enabled Messaging app, etc.

So for me, it's to de-clutter and to make sure I don't have duplicate functionality potentially running in the background eating up system resources, RAM, or mobile data. As long as you don't accidentally nuke something critical to the system, there's no real harm in de-bloating, even if on modern flaghsips with beastly hardware and tons of RAM, there's little performance or battery life to be gained by doing so. If nothing else, I try to keep the number of installed apps in the low 100s, and this helps on that count.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pre4speed

Do you have the commands? I need to dump chrome as it keeps re-enabling itself and I absolutely HATE chrome. Keeps giving itself permissions I've denied it as well. This has been happening several times a day for about 4 days now

I used the following guide:
https://www.xda-developers.com/unins...ot-access/amp/

I believe I had the LG Mobile Drivers and Minimalist ADB & Fastboot already installed from my V30 days, so I skipped the first few steps, IIRC.
Or maybe I downloaded new versions and installed those. I don't remember anymore.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mejilan For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Mejilan Ad-Free
17th May 2020, 05:26 PM |#6  
Flag Indiana

More
Quote:

For one, it just gets rid of apps and icons for crap I never wanted to begin with. I know that most third-party launchers have options to hide apps, but I wanted a solution that was a tad more permanent (though without root, this isn't a 100% wiping of these apps. It's just the best we can manage without root). Since I tend to use Google's main suite of apps for most things, and replace things like my launcher, navigation gestures, and other critical parts of the software environment with third-party solutions, I don't really want a lot of overlapping apps that I'm never going to use. So nuking things like OEM or Carrier versions of Google apps is usually one of my first priorities. Also bullshit like Device Wellness apps, Carrier promotional apps and games, duplicate contacts, gallery, keyboard, dialer, email, contacts, calendar, messaging and browser apps. All that stuff goes. I have no use for two or three different versions of all these apps on my device. I love Chrome, Google Photos, the Google Dialer, Google Contacts, Google Calendar, Google's RCS-enabled Messaging app, etc.

So for me, it's to de-clutter and to make sure I don't have duplicate functionality potentially running in the background eating up system resources, RAM, or mobile data. As long as you don't accidentally nuke something critical to the system, there's no real harm in de-bloating, even if on modern flaghsips with beastly hardware and tons of RAM, there's little performance or battery life to be gained by doing so. If nothing else, I try to keep the number of installed apps in the low 100s, and this helps on that count.

I used the following guide:
https://www.xda-developers.com/unins...ot-access/amp/

I believe I had the LG Mobile Drivers and Minimalist ADB & Fastboot already installed from my V30 days, so I skipped the first few steps, IIRC.
Or maybe I downloaded new versions and installed those. I don't remember anymore.

Back in my V20 days there was an app on the store for this. I'm assuming that's no longer the case? I have been using a rooted OnePlus for a couple of years so I'm out of the loop on this 😂
17th May 2020, 05:40 PM |#7  

More
Quote:

Back in my V20 days there was an app on the store for this. I'm assuming that's no longer the case? I have been using a rooted OnePlus for a couple of years so I'm out of the loop on this

LG Package Disabler, or some such? I think it's still around.
I've heard of it, though I've never actually used it.
Nor do I know if it's been updated to support the V60.

Edit - I think this is it. And there's one review that suggests that it works on the V60.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...m.pdmdm.dmplay
The Following User Says Thank You to Mejilan For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Mejilan Ad-Free
17th May 2020, 05:49 PM |#8  
Flag Indiana

More
Quote:

LG Package Disabler, or some such? I think it's still around.
I've heard of it, though I've never actually used it.
Nor do I know if it's been updated to support the V60.

Edit - I think this is it. And there's one review that suggests that it works on the V60.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...m.pdmdm.dmplay

It does.. curiously look at the apps it shows disabled when I downloaded it. I disabled Android Auto and YouTube... But what the hell are this other apps? I didn't touch them
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200517-124802.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	169.4 KB
ID:	5020995  
17th May 2020, 06:36 PM |#9  

More
Quote:

It does.. curiously look at the apps it shows disabled when I downloaded it. I disabled Android Auto and YouTube... But what the hell are this other apps? I didn't touch them

I think some of those, like the Android Device Wizard and LG Device Wizard are basically one-time apps that run whenever a phone is factory reset.
Basically, the new phone set-up screens and activations you went through when you first powered your device on after purchasing and receiving it.
They may be automatically flagged to disable themselves after that first-time run so that they don't continue to run anytime you reboot the device.
Honestly, that's just a guess, because I don't know.

I don't know about the rest of them, but you can probably Google them.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mejilan For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Mejilan Ad-Free
17th May 2020, 06:48 PM |#10  
Flag Indiana

More
Quote:

I think some of those, like the Android Device Wizard and LG Device Wizard are basically one-time apps that run whenever a phone is factory reset.
Basically, the new phone set-up screens and activations you went through when you first powered your device on after purchasing and receiving it.
They may be automatically flagged to disable themselves after that first-time run so that they don't continue to run anytime you reboot the device.
Honestly, that's just a guess, because I don't know.

I don't know about the rest of them, but you can probably Google them.

I tried, there was no real useful information. I was just curious anyway
17th May 2020, 07:21 PM |#11  

More
Quote:

I tried, there was no real useful information. I was just curious anyway

I did some quick research:
com.lge.gdec.client seems to be related to the LG G-DEC portal.
https://gdec.lge.com/memLogin.do?req_lang=en

I don't have a log-in, nor do I know how to procure one, but I highly suspect that this is NOT a consumer-level feature or portal.
Perhaps it's for LG developers or existing LG employees. But if it's not consumer-level, then it's not surprising that the service is disabled by default.

LG GCUV (com.lge.gcuv) seems to be related to yet another LG sign-in portal called, appropriately enough, GCUV.
http://india.gcuv.lge.com/

This one seems to be specific to LG users (or developers or sales reps) in India, and it makes sense that it would be disabled on devices not intended for Indian markets.
Like G-DEC, I don't have a log-in for this, nor the means to procure one. I suspect this is another service that is not intended for everyday consumers.

I cannot find any information on Enabler Customizer (com.lge.smartenabler). Just questions about what it is here on XDA and on Reddit, with no one apparently knowing the answer.

So you might be asking yourself why system apps for services and log-ins not intended for consumers (or intended only for specific regions/markets) are doing on our phones?
The simple answer, most likely, is that they probably want to maintain and update as few system images as possible and thus, try to make them as homogenous as possible, disabling things not intended for this market or that market, as needed. Considering how slow LG typically are in releasing new updates for even their newest phones (let alone their older ones that have not yet technically seen support hit end-of-life), I'm OK with them trying to keep down the number of system images they need to work on. Especially if they pre-disable stuff not relevant to us without us needing to do it ourselves.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)