FORUMS

Is root available for the V60 ThinQ yet? I've searched but can't find much info.

3 posts
Thanks Meter: 11

By AceMasterHan, Junior Member on 21st April 2020, 09:17 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Thinking about picking up the V60 ThinQ. I don't have any experience with LG so I'm not sure how user friendly they are when it comes to root and unlocking bootloaders. I'm stubborn and refuse to buy a phone that doesn't have:

1) A headphone jack
2) A microSD card slot
3) Root access

Yes I realize that is just making life harder for myself but I have my principles.

I know this phone is fairly new and I seem to be having trouble finding much information about root. Does anyone know if there has been any progress with it?

I'm really not trying to be "that guy" I just haven't had much luck finding reliable info. I suppose that is probably a good indicator that the info just doesn't exist but I figured I'd take a shot at asking the pros.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AceMasterHan For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift AceMasterHan Ad-Free
22nd April 2020, 01:38 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 34

More
don't get me wrong I love this phone but I kind of regret trading my pixel 4 xl... LG blocked users access to the bootloader... you can access fastbootd and download mode and recovery and that's it. all commands are blocked in fastboot mode as well. although the OEM unlock switch can be toggled out of the box I think they allowed this because they know that you will not gain access. I may get the S20 Plus next week, at least it has root...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceMasterHan

Thinking about picking up the V60 ThinQ. I don't have any experience with LG so I'm not sure how user friendly they are when it comes to root and unlocking bootloaders. I'm stubborn and refuse to buy a phone that doesn't have:

1) A headphone jack
2) A microSD card slot
3) Root access

Yes I realize that is just making life harder for myself but I have my principles.

I know this phone is fairly new and I seem to be having trouble finding much information about root. Does anyone know if there has been any progress with it?

I'm really not trying to be "that guy" I just haven't had much luck finding reliable info. I suppose that is probably a good indicator that the info just doesn't exist but I figured I'd take a shot at asking the pros.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

22nd April 2020, 02:44 AM |#3  
Flag Haverhill MA
Thanks Meter: 1,072

More
Is root even a thing now?

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk
22nd April 2020, 02:54 PM |#4  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some_Ghost

don't get me wrong I love this phone but I kind of regret trading my pixel 4 xl... LG blocked users access to the bootloader... you can access fastbootd and download mode and recovery and that's it. all commands are blocked in fastboot mode as well. although the OEM unlock switch can be toggled out of the box I think they allowed this because they know that you will not gain access. I may get the S20 Plus next week, at least it has root...

Thanks I really appreciate the info. Looks like I'll be holding off for a bit to see how things progress. I really like the look of this phone but root access is one thing I won't bend on. Thanks again.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AceMasterHan For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift AceMasterHan Ad-Free
22nd April 2020, 03:19 PM |#5  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by shook187

Is root even a thing now?

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

It is for me. I use a few apps that need root permissions. Also, being locked out of certain parts of a pocket computer "for my own good/safety/security" just doesn't sit well with me. If I decide to go into the file system and start hacking and slashing files until it's a brick, that's on me.

I can easily see how that could seem silly to some but at the end of the day if I'm going to spend hundreds of dollars or more on a device that I carry with me everywhere and use every day for the foreseeable future, it's damn sure going to have the features that I want. For me that's a 3.5mm headphone jack, a microSD slot, and root access. Of course, I have a bad habit of making my own life more difficult based on principle alone. I wouldn't recommend it. However we all have to pick and choose our own hills to die on. Don't even get me started on dongles...

Anyway, I'm very sleep deprived and rambling on about nonsense. Apologies.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AceMasterHan For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift AceMasterHan Ad-Free
23rd April 2020, 01:04 AM |#6  
Flag Houston
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some_Ghost

For those who still want a 3.5mm audio jack on their cellphone, the S20 Plus isn't a viable option.
The Following User Says Thank You to dbaldock9 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift dbaldock9 Ad-Free
23rd April 2020, 03:24 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 34

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbaldock9

For those who still want a 3.5mm audio jack on their cellphone, the S20 Plus isn't a viable option.

that may be true, but I was talking about myself because I could care less about the headphone jack. I got the V60 because of the battery life, the size, the price, and 5G... the dual screen was a bit intriguing yes but it did not fully influence my choice lol
28th April 2020, 09:18 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
I was thinking about getting the V60 too as I'm still on the V30, and just broke the screen over the weekend. Root is essential to me because I cannot use the portable hotspot to tether without it as my carrier blocks that by default, and forces you to change your plan if you want tethering. Root is the only way I know around that, but it sounds like the V60 has not yet been rooted.
29th April 2020, 02:00 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 18

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by V30ish

I was thinking about getting the V60 too as I'm still on the V30, and just broke the screen over the weekend. Root is essential to me because I cannot use the portable hotspot to tether without it as my carrier blocks that by default, and forces you to change your plan if you want tethering. Root is the only way I know around that, but it sounds like the V60 has not yet been rooted.

it took over a year many variants of the V30 to be rooted iirc, this phone is far too new, and in limited markets (so fewer devs hacking on them). My guess is it will take a while for us, unless someone gets lucky.
30th April 2020, 11:09 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 820

More
Just to add to this, I seen that an octopus box can work on every device EXCEPT the T-Mobile version.

Sent from my LG-H932 using XDA Labs
30th April 2020, 05:15 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 116

More
I'm certainly no expert, but I would expect rooting this phone to take quite some time, and perhaps a small miracle.
I don't even think they're selling an open-market unlocked version in the U.S. as they did with my last phone, the V30+.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)