FORUMS

Overall love

809 posts
Thanks Meter: 2,029

By XDA_RealLifeReview, RealLifeReview Dude on 24th February 2020, 06:24 PM | Average Rating:
Post Reply Email Thread
Yes, yes, it's possible to love a phone. Heck, you sleep next to it, don't you? Rate this thread to indicate your love for the LG V60 ThinQ, all things considered. A higher rating indicates that the LG V60 ThinQ is an incredible phone that you enjoy tremendously. You love it.

Then, drop a comment if you have anything to add!
26th April 2020, 03:57 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Count me in as very happy
I just moved over from the s20 ultra. I'm a big fan of larger phones. That phone though had all kinds of issues..the camera couldn't focus. It was aggravating.

My last LG phone was my beloved LG G2. I used that phone for many years.

I jumped in on T-Mobile BOGO offer. So glad I did.... I love this phone.

Works great, it's fast, battery lasts all day. I particularly like how it integrates the IoT devices in my house. Samsung devices is actually extremely clunky. You have to into repetitive menus to get to a device. This is very intuitative.

I use the dual screen as more of an occasional thing at home. Don't like the adapter to charge it but oh well...mainly use the V60 as a stand alone device.

Count me as a headphone jack promoter. I have Bluetooth headphones but sometimes I'm at a place and I don't have them. Being able to plug in any old pair of headphones was vital to me. I went without for the newer Samsung and it really bugged me. The cost for manufacturers is really low to keep it.

Camera is great for everyday life needs. Samsung has a documented issue that's been around since my s9+ days where it would only text a shorter video clip. Why? I don't know. It was nice to be able to send video clips of my son to family and the video length stays the same.

Very happy with the device and hoping to be using it for many years ahead before the next upgrade.
26th April 2020, 05:40 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 116

More
I've posted a variation of this in a few different topics already, but here goes.
I've upgraded from a rooted open-market LG V30+ (attached to AT&T) to the AT&T variant of the LG V60 5G ThinQ (and got the dual-screen attachment separately as a "freebie").
Other than the lower screen resolution and DPI, I find the phone to be an upgrade in pretty much all categories, ranging from moderate to significant depending on category.
And I don't even mind the screen so much. It means that we get BEASTLY battery levels. Perhaps even overkill (but can you really have too much battery life, though)?

I never liked LG software, so even without root, I was able to use ADB commands to re-establish my preferred V30+ software/desktop home environment without too much hassle.
Namely, I use Nova Launcher Prime as my preferred launcher, Whicons as my icon pack, Fluid Simulation - Trippy Stress Reliever for a pure black OLED-friendly home screen and lock screen background (plus brief, lovely splashes of bright fluid-like colors upon screen wake-up or with screen touches and taps), Fluid Navigation Gestures to replace mostly replace Nova's gestures and totally replace stock Android 10's navigation gestures, and Energy Bar to provide a line with variable heights across my status bar informing me of battery levels (can use color gradations for every 25% block, or in my case, a pure white line across the top of the screen). FNG required setting a special permission via ADB to be able to hide the navigation bar. First time doing that (since all of my prior phones were rooted), but it wasn't too tough to learn and implement. Yes, I wind up with mostly pure black and white home screen and lock screen, but Fluid Simulation provides beautiful splashes of color at just the right times. Energy Bar is a little imperfect thanks to this phone's front-camera notch bisecting the bar. Not much I can do about that, though.

I like the screen well enough. I love the expandable storage. I love the Quad DAC. Even the stereo speakers when not using headphones are better than what you'd get on most other phones, high-end or not. And screen specs-aside, this is a premium flagship phone all the way. AT&T even bumped us from the February 2020 security patch the phone launched with to the April 2020 security patch around a week or so ago, a surprisingly timely update for an LG phone. I almost couldn't be happier with this device. And even if root never happens and this becomes my first ever Android phone to not get rooted, I don't think I'd be terribly disappointed. Not when you consider how happy I already am with the phone.

The only thing that wound up being a total bust is the dual-screen accessory. Not being able to span Nova Launcher, Fluid Navigation Gestures, and my Fluid Simulation background to the second screen is a total deal-breaker. That one is stuck with LG's crap-ass default software, and I don't see any way to change that. And even if I could mirror my device's software environment over to the second screen, the ergonomics of the dual-screen's case makes typing on the primary device in portrait mode almost physically impossible unless you set it down on a table or something and use your pointer fingers to type. Neat idea. Heavily flawed execution. I'm happy, at least, that the attachment didn't come with a second out-of-pocket cost.

TLDR: Love the phone. Happy enough with the screen. Colors pop. Viewing angles feel infinite. Audio continues to be a stand-out. And it meets and exceeds my two deal-breaker smartphone requirements, a 3.5MM headphone jack (Quad DAC is just extra gravy) and expandable storage.
4th May 2020, 03:39 PM |#4  
Flag Columbus, Oh
Thanks Meter: 43

More
I've had the phone for about 3 or 4 days and I'm enjoying the dual screens (I'm an Uber driver) and the remarkably good sound. Not a fan of the fingerprint sensor as I've noticed that sometimes it doesn't always work. I don't mind the Nova Launcher issue at the moment as the built in Whale Homescreen is still better than Quickstep (hear that Google) in dual screen mode. I love the fact it does have a headphone jack, good bluetooth capability and 4G/5G coverage in areas where the old PH-1 would give me the middle finger of connections. I did NOT choose this phone for the screen refresh rate, as I'm a user who doesn't game much with the phone and don't need the higher refresh rates. I chose it for the dual screen aspect which is clear and good quality on both screens, which is most satisfactory and the best thing since the rather revolutionary G2 Flex that LG has come up with short of a foldable full screen phone.

I have yet to try the camera out, (will miss the Essential's 360 camera), so the jury's still out on quality.

The audio is crisp, clear and very good with the speakers. I've not tried the vocal bokeh yet, but I suspect it will work well.

Overall I'm impressed with this lower end Flagship phone and the case, it does everything I want it to. Oh and the bloatware level with T-mobile and LG is astoundingly low, a shocker indeed. I'll follow up as I use the phone, but over all, LG made a phone that is both a step forward and back on smartphone evolution.
15th May 2020, 09:07 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
This is Xiaomi-like type of phone... It can be superb, but not straight out the box...
15th May 2020, 01:39 PM |#6  
Flag Halifax, NS
Thanks Meter: 92

More
I have had the phone for 3 days now. I really like it. It's snappy. For a 1080p screen. I'm impressed. The speakers are great. Camera is really good. I really recommend getting the wide screen for g8x app. Really adds usefulness for the dual screen. All and all. Really good phone. Hope LG keeps software update come out more frequently.
16th May 2020, 01:07 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 177

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildGee

This is Xiaomi-like type of phone... It can be superb, but not straight out the box...

What recommendations do you have to make this phone "superb?" I'm happy with it so far (just got it yesterday) but any ideas to make it even better I'm all ears.
16th May 2020, 01:59 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lendawg

What recommendations do you have to make this phone "superb?" I'm happy with it so far (just got it yesterday) but any ideas to make it even better I'm all ears.

First of all, WideMode app is must have to use full potential of Dual Screen. Secondly, file manager from Google does the job, especially there is no proper manager in default - it have powerful cleaning features and what is more - I'ts from Google - no ads and more safety than 3rd party solutions. I'm testing varius Gcam distros, due to terrible software post processing, even in raw photos (UltraCVM is best so far - made for Mi 9T with 64mpx matrix). Then i've changed everything to darkest theme / dark wallpapers, and turned off AoD to protect OLED from burn (V30 case...).
The Following User Says Thank You to WildGee For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift WildGee Ad-Free
16th May 2020, 07:40 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 24

More
I've had this phone for about a month now and have mixed opinions on it. My favorite phone to date is the V20. I knew I was giving up a lot that I wanted when moving to the V60, but had hoped the other improvements would offset it. When I first set the phone up, I hated it. SOOOOO many features I lost from the V20 that I missed more than expected, and general design changes I dislike.

The phone has grown on me and I'm keeping it. Some things I adapted to, others I can't (this thing is way too tall for one handed use), but I guess it's the least bad phone on the market today. The V20 really spoiled me, so it's a love/hate relationship with the V60.
16th May 2020, 10:05 PM |#10  
Flag Indiana
Thanks Meter: 647

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Mooncatt

I've had this phone for about a month now and have mixed opinions on it. My favorite phone to date is the V20. I knew I was giving up a lot that I wanted when moving to the V60, but had hoped the other improvements would offset it. When I first set the phone up, I hated it. SOOOOO many features I lost from the V20 that I missed more than expected, and general design changes I dislike.

The phone has grown on me and I'm keeping it. Some things I adapted to, others I can't (this thing is way too tall for one handed use), but I guess it's the least bad phone on the market today. The V20 really spoiled me, so it's a love/hate relationship with the V60.

Besides the 2nd screen, what did you lose? I had a V20 but it's been so long I don't remember what I'm missing 😂
16th May 2020, 10:26 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 24

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryano89

Besides the 2nd screen, what did you lose? I had a V20 but it's been so long I don't remember what I'm missing

Here's my initial reaction list that I posted over on Android Central:

1. It's tall. Really tall. As in I can't reach the top 25% of the screen with one handed use. I'd much rather it have a bezel to house the camera, sensors, and a killer speaker, if not just be shorter all together.

2. Speaking of bezels, it needs one on the bottom too. I have to strain to reach the navigation buttons with one hand use, and constantly typing a row above where I intended on the keyboard. I know i can use gesture navigation, but that has its own drawbacks. A bezel would allow for better one hand use, plus give room to turn that bottom firing speaker up to front firing and better sound. The bottom bezel on the V20 was perfect.

3. It's not the slickest phone I've held, but still slippery. The back glass also feels more like plastic than glass, which I actually like.

4. The flashlight is rather dim compared to other phones.

5. The stock gallery doesn't seem to allow you to sort albums by name, only by date modified. If anyone knows if that's fixable, I'd love to know. Otherwise I'm switching to a third party gallery that is almost a direct clone of the V20's gallery.

6. Could they have cut the side protective film into any more pieces???

7. Anyone that thinks you need above 1080p on a phone display is just blowing smoke. It's the sweet spot on a phone, but the option for 90Hz refresh would've been nice to have (120Hz is not noticably better than 90Hz).

8. I thought i would like what looked like fine tuning of the display color calibration, but I barely saw any differences when making changes.

9. Tons of junk to disable/delete.

10. I can already tell battery life is good, even with all the extra setup going on. Just sucks that it's sealed.

Not on that list is that the screen is not LCD (so now worried about burn in), and removal of proprietary LG apps. I loved Q-slide with the floating applets, their own dialer app, and their files app. Google's dialer doesn't allow blocking phone numbers by area code. Mine is based in a location I no longer live in or have contact with, yet all my spam calls use that area code. Blocking by that was more effective than any filter app. The files app is just too "busy" for me.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)