Overall love

Search This thread

mke1

Mar 2, 2014
My prior is LG V20 and I love it. Tried ATT version of V60. Immediately, I could "sense" that this new phone is SLOW for interactions. Confused. The V20 was quick/fast. This V60 is just plaiin slow! First day, it went into an infinite ATT loop! Several reboots. Firefox and chrome just lock up and dont even work.. Is it because this is an ATT version with bloat ware! Never would I buy a ATT version again.. I didn't realize how the bloatware slows down the phone! Same brand: LG. V60 V20 - how can V20 be better? (except for cameras etc.. I am talking basic browser use)

HD2FORNICK

Mar 14, 2011
My prior is LG V20 and I love it. Tried ATT version of V60. Immediately, I could "sense" that this new phone is SLOW for interactions. Confused. The V20 was quick/fast. This V60 is just plaiin slow! First day, it went into an infinite ATT loop! Several reboots. Firefox and chrome just lock up and dont even work.. Is it because this is an ATT version with bloat ware! Never would I buy a ATT version again.. I didn't realize how the bloatware slows down the phone! Same brand: LG. V60 V20 - how can V20 be better? (except for cameras etc.. I am talking basic browser use)

Really? Wow. I'm on AT&T and my V60 blows my older V20 and V30 away.

jah

Hi Fi Audio Quality

I'm using Hi Res audio files from Qobuz and Amazon HD and using Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro headphones.

My bebchmark is my HI FI system which is streamer, amplification and speakers over £5k in value and I am blown away by the V60 Quad DAC.

Great bass control smooth sound and reasonable sound stage depth. Can follow each instrument.

Tracks tested with Van Morrison Moon Dance 24 bit / 96 kHz. And Emmylou Harris Wayfaring Stanger CD quality.

babymatteo

Aug 30, 2011
SoCal
I've had the LG V60 for about 3 months now. I gotta say, the V60 is hands down the worst phone LG has ever made. This is coming from a long time fan of LG phones dating back to the LG G2X, LG Optimus G, Nexus 4, LGOG Pro, Nexus 5x, G2, G4, G5, V20....I'm on my third V60. First one had USB port issues and screen hiccups and freezing here and there. 2nd V60 had a bad digitizer. The phone was only useable for only 5mins before the screen went crazy glitching. And now my third has the same screen freezing and hiccups that my 1st one had. This is all within 3 months of ownership. I'm about just had it with the v60. I really wanted to like this phone but all the issues it has make it unusable.

mpjune69

Oct 28, 2009
LG G7 ThinQ
Google Pixel 6 Pro
(V)ery Happy with the V-series

I'd been a Nexus/Pixel user since the Galaxy Nexus. I jumped on every new release and was very happy overall. I fiddled with custom ROMS every chance I had. My original draw to the Galaxy Nexus was a direct-from-Google experience, the fastest updates and great support from Google. I like big screens, so when the Pixel line was intro'd, the XL was the way to go for me. Everything was great - until the 4XL. Gave it just under 30 days, then it got sent back to Google.

I was already on the "new phone" high - I NEEDED a new phone. I happened to check the Best Buy ad, and the unlocked V40 @ $269 caught my eye. It was still listed at $749 everywhere else, so I took a leap and never looked back. The Quad DAC blew my mind. To me, BT was always a convenience thing - if I was listening to music with 6' of my phone, I was plugged in. Better still, if I was sitting at my desk or listening in bed I'd have my headphones plugged into a small headphone amp. (a completely analog Genalex 12AU7 tube-based amp)

I loved that V40. I'm on T-Mobile, and when Verizon had the V50 exclusively, I briefly thought about making the switch just to get the V50 - that's how much I loved the V40. But I also love getting a new phone and all the other "newness" that comes along with every Android release.

Please excuse my long intro on the topic, but when T-Mobile ran the BOGO offer on the V60, I pounced.

Simply stated, I love the V60. I've even started to use the 2nd screen on a daily basis. It seemed redundant and too bulky at first, so I took the 2nd screen off, then promptly lost it. I let a week pass before I actually *looked* for it, and ever since I found it (it was hiding in plain sight), I haven't taken it off.

As with anything, there's always "some" compromise, but for my needs, the V60 does everything very well. And if that weren't enough, it even plays "nice" with my 2-year old Kenwood aftermarket head-unit with wireless AA built-in!:)

kaluna00

Mar 24, 2011
Tacoma
Didn't want to repeat your whole quote, but thank you for the great and detailed write up. I currently have the v20 and I'm having a hard time letting it go also. Removable battery, second screen, nice form factor, root, etc.

Have you found a good replacement or similar app for the second screen? (not the dual screen).. I use my 'quick contacts' and 'shorcuts' on the second screen regularly.

How about no root ad blocking? I would miss Boat Browser also as it is no longer supported in the app store.
Thanks again!

Here's my initial reaction list that I posted over on Android Central:

1. It's tall. Really tall. As in I can't reach the top 25% of the scre
Mine is based in a location I no longer live in or have contact with, yet all my spam calls use that area code. Blocking by that was more effective than any filter app. The files app is just too "busy" for me.

Mr_Mooncatt

Sep 13, 2019
Have you found a good replacement or similar app for the second screen? (not the dual screen).. I use my 'quick contacts' and 'shorcuts' on the second screen regularly.

I mostly use the quick setting tiles now, and have a navigation button (I don't use gesture control) to drop the notification bar to access them. It's not as intuitive as the V20's second screen, but works for my needs. Others have installed a floating bar modeled after one of the other V-series phones that gives a lot of that functionality back, but I only need the quick settings and the constant floating side bar is a distraction.

How about no root ad blocking? I would miss Boat Browser also as it is no longer supported in the app store.
I use Ad Guard, the version downloaded direct from their site.

Mr_Mooncatt

Sep 13, 2019
Have you noticed a large increase in speed or performance with 5G? I am on Verizon.

I'm on the bare bones unlimited plan, so I only have access to the new nationwide low band 5G. I'm also not in an area to use it often until they expand more. I saw the 5G logo pop up the first time today and here's my comparative results in the screenshot. The top two were on 4G LTE and the bottom two were 5G. I did the test without moving and only switched my network to LTE/CDMA to get off the 5G connection.

Speeds are a bit better, especially upload speeds. Nothing to write home about, and I've seen a lot of other Verizon members reporting slower than 4G LTE speeds while on low band 5G. So at best, it's a wash. I did notice that ping was better on 4G, but jitter was better on 5G. Long story short, the average user isn't likely to notice a difference in real world experience.

As for the UW 5G, I have no real interest in it. I can stream whatever I want, usually in HD (despite the plan being rated for 480p), so having those super fast UW speeds would do absolutely nothing for me. They advertise it for free, but it's really an extra $10 for me to move to a plan that offers it, so I'm not going to spend the money on something I wouldn't benefit from. And that's not even accounting for the absence of any UW towers where I am.

Attachments

• Screenshots_2020-10-26-18-08-06.png
    Screenshots_2020-10-26-18-08-06.png
    88.6 KB · Views: 33

kaluna00

Mar 24, 2011
Tacoma
Thanks for the review. I heard they just pushed Nationwide 5G in the last week or two. So that makes sense.
Again. Much appreciated! @Mr_Mooncatt

Oh yes. One more question. Are you still able to use manual mode on the camera? For long exposure night shots etc.?

Last edited:

Judge-Fredd

Aug 21, 2017
LG V20
LG V60 ThinQ
Hello,

comin from a V20 that I bought 4 years ago and still have fully functionnal. I bought the European version of the V60 in a 256 Gb storage version with double screen. I'v added a 512 Gb xd card so I haveplenty of storage ;-)

The V60 is way faster than my V20 in every situation (starting up, locking GPS, launching apps etc.) never encounter a lag of any sort. I kinda preferred the fingerprint sensor on the back of the V20 which was more intuitive and no brainer to use, I also preferred the lenght to width ratio of the V20 and I find the V60 heavy when used standalone. I found back two things I like and which are the main reasons I stick to LG : Quad DAC and headphones jack.

The battery life is incredible (2 days for me on average). I love the Oled display (I didn't have on the V20) it's neat and I don't feel I would need more resolution. Photos are better but the photo app isn't as simple to use as on the V20, especially for wide selfies.

I use Smart Launcher 5 cause I love the simplicity and fast access to anything this launcher gives you, plus it's rather light in ressources use. Plus they have an oled theme that I have customized so I have a plain black background on my main screen. I have installed a real file explorer cause I don't like Google files, Swiftkey keyboard cause I have never liked the LG keyboards (personal taste), Luxx Icon Pack cause it's the best lookin set of icons you can find (personal taste), Black Player cause it's the best and most beautiful music player for Android, Blockada 5 to have less ads.

I use double screen at home and frankly speaking it's more for comfort, cause this way the phone seems not so heavy ;-) I appreciate the double screen when it comes to copy/paste things. I love the screenshot button by the way, so cool and easy.

I didn't try the 5G for the time being as 5G is not very well deployed in France, should be ok at the end of the year.

Wel all in all, my first goal which was to stick with a "good sounding" phone is achieved and I've got loads of improvements in so many areas that I must confess I love the V60. would have been perfect with rear fingerprint sensor and less weight but I'm very happy with it (for the price too).

Reactions: pierro78

Snakecharmed

Sep 30, 2011
LG V20
Samsung Galaxy Tab S4
I got the V60 to replace my V20 as a daily. The Snapdragon 820 easily got bogged down by normal usage. In 2022, when a lot of apps including some of Google's own don't work nicely with Android 7, I had to move on. I don't really plan to sell either of my V20s at the moment though and I will definitely keep at least one of them.

I was really hoping Sony would get their act together with an Xperia 1 or 5 that checked all the boxes, but they keep tripping over themselves and charging too much money for the privilege. Now the issue that keeps the 1 Mk IV from being "it" is the overheating Snapdragon 8 Gen 1. Maybe a used 1 Mk V will be the ticket in the future or they'll just introduce another dealbreaking hindrance.

Until then, I got an unlocked T-Mobile V60 in new open box condition. After spending a lot of time trying to sort out issues with either rooting it to stay on Android 11 or simply letting Android 12 install OTA, I'm finally warming up to it and liking it despite wanting to return it or fire it out of a potato cannon several times. It was a great phone for the money in 2020 and still is in 2022. I just don't know that I like it more than I liked my V20 when I first got that, but those earlier LG phones all had more wow factor. This isn't a Velvet or Wing. The V60 is more straightforward and efficient, and less quirky and unique.

Software - I'm on rooted T-Mobile 20n Android 11 with a fair amount of manual debloating. This was a pretty annoying root process compared to both V20 root methods I used, as well as what I remember of the G4 root. To top it off, there's not much reward for it here other than being able to disable the nag screens telling you that your software is out of date and to update the OS. There's hardly any developer community support for this phone. Beyond that, there isn't anything new to say about how much more capable and versatile Android 11 is over 7 in terms of general usability.

Call quality - Good audio quality, speaker call volume is maybe not quite as loud as my modified V20, but I'm also unfairly comparing stock vs. modified sound level tables.

Speakers - Amazing for the form factor and size. They're louder and more detailed than those on my "tuned by AKG" quad-speaker Samsung Galaxy S4 Tab. These are easily the best phone/tablet speakers I've heard, and unlike the speaker call volume, the media volume is significantly louder than even my boosted V20 settings.

Performance - Much snappier and cooler than my V20. The storage and memory systems are unsurprisingly much faster. Not pushing 1440p certainly works in the V60's favor too.

Fingerprint reader - Definitely more temperamental than the V20's rear panel reader, but it's fine now after jumping through all the hoops of getting it enabled again with the right sensitivity after rooting and installing a tempered glass screen protector. The biggest issue for me with an under-the-glass reader is precise finger placement.

Screen - Can't say that I miss the V20's 1440p on a small device. The V60 OLED's colors and brightness are great. The teardrop camera notch was my biggest annoyance going in with the New Second Screen settings not handling non-LG apps, but I'm using the Round Screen Corners and Hide Notch app instead and it works pretty well.

Coping with no second screen - Not as bad as I feared. I just moved the five app shortcuts to be the only app shortcuts that occupy the primary home screen and I placed them down by the bottom where they're more accessible one-handed. I've always kept my primary home screen to be pretty free of clutter to let the wallpaper show through, so I didn't have a problem with creating space for a row of icons that are basically quick launch after screen unlock.

Battery - This was a pleasant surprise, but also not really. I'm easily getting two days out of an 80-20% discharge with higher-than-normal screen usage for me. That's all due to the combination of the 5000 mAh battery, Snapdragon 865, and the OLED screen.

Charging - I only charge this phone wirelessly with my Anker wireless chargers to limit USB port connections for obvious reasons. The charging is slow, but I work from home and don't care that much about charging speed. If I wasn't already conscientious about preserving battery integrity before with my V20s, I'm being extra about it now with a "non-removable" battery that's more difficult to remove.

Form factor - It's a big phone and yet it's not. It's thicker, taller, and heavier than the V20, but it's also noticeably narrower, which makes one-handed use so much easier for me.

Misc - I don't have a dual screen accessory, but I also wouldn't have wanted the extra bulk.

I have yet to test out Android Auto, but the latest versions of the app in car mode no longer work at all with Android 7, so I had been without it completely on my V20 for most of this year. The app just kept getting worse over time because at one point even wireless AA was supported on my V20 through the app's developer options, but later updates took that away. I know Android 11 has wireless AA support out of the box, but this time, I might not update the AA app on the V60 unless I have to.

I also haven't truly tested out the camera yet, but that's probably been covered far more by others and probably doesn't need my specific input, especially when I'm coming from a much older phone.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Count me in as very happy

I just moved over from the s20 ultra. I'm a big fan of larger phones. That phone though had all kinds of issues..the camera couldn't focus. It was aggravating.

My last LG phone was my beloved LG G2. I used that phone for many years.

I jumped in on T-Mobile BOGO offer. So glad I did.... I love this phone.

Works great, it's fast, battery lasts all day. I particularly like how it integrates the IoT devices in my house. Samsung devices is actually extremely clunky. You have to into repetitive menus to get to a device. This is very intuitative.

I use the dual screen as more of an occasional thing at home. Don't like the adapter to charge it but oh well...mainly use the V60 as a stand alone device.

Count me as a headphone jack promoter. I have Bluetooth headphones but sometimes I'm at a place and I don't have them. Being able to plug in any old pair of headphones was vital to me. I went without for the newer Samsung and it really bugged me. The cost for manufacturers is really low to keep it.

Camera is great for everyday life needs. Samsung has a documented issue that's been around since my s9+ days where it would only text a shorter video clip. Why? I don't know. It was nice to be able to send video clips of my son to family and the video length stays the same.

Very happy with the device and hoping to be using it for many years ahead before the next upgrade.
    I've posted a variation of this in a few different topics already, but here goes.
    I've upgraded from a rooted open-market LG V30+ (attached to AT&T) to the AT&T variant of the LG V60 5G ThinQ (and got the dual-screen attachment separately as a "freebie").
    Other than the lower screen resolution and DPI, I find the phone to be an upgrade in pretty much all categories, ranging from moderate to significant depending on category.
    And I don't even mind the screen so much. It means that we get BEASTLY battery levels. Perhaps even overkill (but can you really have too much battery life, though)?

I never liked LG software, so even without root, I was able to use ADB commands to re-establish my preferred V30+ software/desktop home environment without too much hassle.
    Namely, I use Nova Launcher Prime as my preferred launcher, Whicons as my icon pack, Fluid Simulation - Trippy Stress Reliever for a pure black OLED-friendly home screen and lock screen background (plus brief, lovely splashes of bright fluid-like colors upon screen wake-up or with screen touches and taps), Fluid Navigation Gestures to replace mostly replace Nova's gestures and totally replace stock Android 10's navigation gestures, and Energy Bar to provide a line with variable heights across my status bar informing me of battery levels (can use color gradations for every 25% block, or in my case, a pure white line across the top of the screen). FNG required setting a special permission via ADB to be able to hide the navigation bar. First time doing that (since all of my prior phones were rooted), but it wasn't too tough to learn and implement. Yes, I wind up with mostly pure black and white home screen and lock screen, but Fluid Simulation provides beautiful splashes of color at just the right times. Energy Bar is a little imperfect thanks to this phone's front-camera notch bisecting the bar. Not much I can do about that, though.

I like the screen well enough. I love the expandable storage. I love the Quad DAC. Even the stereo speakers when not using headphones are better than what you'd get on most other phones, high-end or not. And screen specs-aside, this is a premium flagship phone all the way. AT&T even bumped us from the February 2020 security patch the phone launched with to the April 2020 security patch around a week or so ago, a surprisingly timely update for an LG phone. I almost couldn't be happier with this device. And even if root never happens and this becomes my first ever Android phone to not get rooted, I don't think I'd be terribly disappointed. Not when you consider how happy I already am with the phone.

The only thing that wound up being a total bust is the dual-screen accessory. Not being able to span Nova Launcher, Fluid Navigation Gestures, and my Fluid Simulation background to the second screen is a total deal-breaker. That one is stuck with LG's crap-ass default software, and I don't see any way to change that. And even if I could mirror my device's software environment over to the second screen, the ergonomics of the dual-screen's case makes typing on the primary device in portrait mode almost physically impossible unless you set it down on a table or something and use your pointer fingers to type. Neat idea. Heavily flawed execution. I'm happy, at least, that the attachment didn't come with a second out-of-pocket cost.

TLDR: Love the phone. Happy enough with the screen. Colors pop. Viewing angles feel infinite. Audio continues to be a stand-out. And it meets and exceeds my two deal-breaker smartphone requirements, a 3.5MM headphone jack (Quad DAC is just extra gravy) and expandable storage.
    Such an underrated phone and a refreshing leap OFF of the Samsung bandwagon, AND for a great price! :D
    I've had the phone for about 3 or 4 days and I'm enjoying the dual screens (I'm an Uber driver) and the remarkably good sound. Not a fan of the fingerprint sensor as I've noticed that sometimes it doesn't always work. I don't mind the Nova Launcher issue at the moment as the built in Whale Homescreen is still better than Quickstep (hear that Google) in dual screen mode. I love the fact it does have a headphone jack, good bluetooth capability and 4G/5G coverage in areas where the old PH-1 would give me the middle finger of connections. I did NOT choose this phone for the screen refresh rate, as I'm a user who doesn't game much with the phone and don't need the higher refresh rates. I chose it for the dual screen aspect which is clear and good quality on both screens, which is most satisfactory and the best thing since the rather revolutionary G2 Flex that LG has come up with short of a foldable full screen phone.

I have yet to try the camera out, (will miss the Essential's 360 camera), so the jury's still out on quality.

The audio is crisp, clear and very good with the speakers. I've not tried the vocal bokeh yet, but I suspect it will work well.

Overall I'm impressed with this lower end Flagship phone and the case, it does everything I want it to. Oh and the bloatware level with T-mobile and LG is astoundingly low, a shocker indeed. I'll follow up as I use the phone, but over all, LG made a phone that is both a step forward and back on smartphone evolution.
    Hello,

comin from a V20 that I bought 4 years ago and still have fully functionnal. I bought the European version of the V60 in a 256 Gb storage version with double screen. I'v added a 512 Gb xd card so I haveplenty of storage ;-)

The V60 is way faster than my V20 in every situation (starting up, locking GPS, launching apps etc.) never encounter a lag of any sort. I kinda preferred the fingerprint sensor on the back of the V20 which was more intuitive and no brainer to use, I also preferred the lenght to width ratio of the V20 and I find the V60 heavy when used standalone. I found back two things I like and which are the main reasons I stick to LG : Quad DAC and headphones jack.

The battery life is incredible (2 days for me on average). I love the Oled display (I didn't have on the V20) it's neat and I don't feel I would need more resolution. Photos are better but the photo app isn't as simple to use as on the V20, especially for wide selfies.

I use Smart Launcher 5 cause I love the simplicity and fast access to anything this launcher gives you, plus it's rather light in ressources use. Plus they have an oled theme that I have customized so I have a plain black background on my main screen. I have installed a real file explorer cause I don't like Google files, Swiftkey keyboard cause I have never liked the LG keyboards (personal taste), Luxx Icon Pack cause it's the best lookin set of icons you can find (personal taste), Black Player cause it's the best and most beautiful music player for Android, Blockada 5 to have less ads.

I use double screen at home and frankly speaking it's more for comfort, cause this way the phone seems not so heavy ;-) I appreciate the double screen when it comes to copy/paste things. I love the screenshot button by the way, so cool and easy.

I didn't try the 5G for the time being as 5G is not very well deployed in France, should be ok at the end of the year.

Wel all in all, my first goal which was to stick with a "good sounding" phone is achieved and I've got loads of improvements in so many areas that I must confess I love the V60. would have been perfect with rear fingerprint sensor and less weight but I'm very happy with it (for the price too).