Lumia 950/950 XL Android ROM possibly found?

Search This thread

KewlToyZ

Dec 12, 2017
I have read the closed threads here. I found a ROM site but I'm not sure what to make of it because it seems to work only with Android installed by design?
Which, for the 950 series hasn't seemed possible. If Microsoft was abandoning the project, why didn't they go back to having an Astoria enabled ROM as the final version?

https://romindex.com/android-for-lumia-for-microsoft-lumia-950950-xl/"]https://romindex.com/android-for-lumia-for-microsoft-lumia-950950-xl/

I'd like to attempt it. Microsoft has been progressively disabling features in every app that competes with Skype for free video calling.
Oh, and for months now, Skype video calling is upside down on all 950 series.
Why MS even bothered if they are abandoning the OS is just really malicious towards customers.
I keep looking for alternatives because the hardware was really good.
Just the MS OS development was managed by absolutely deaf morons.

Spare me the insults. I'm just looking at possible solutions.

maddim

Apr 4, 2017
I am a proud (not so much anymore) owner of a Lumia 950 myself and I have been looking everywhere for an answer to your question.

I myself have found the same link you posted and have been wondering whether it is something that would work or not. The device has very impressive specs and I would like to use it for something more than a (relatively) expensive paperweight! However I find all the root/flash/whatever Lumia X50 series sites a bit too odd. The writing of the content is as if the device is already running Android and seem to be old. They "smell fishy" to say the least.

To add to the doubt, I have been following the news on Android for Lumia for a long time now and the development has been very slow to say the least. Nothing actually works on the device with the current state of the ROM. It is quite unfortunate but I don't think it will ever do. Porting Android to Lumias looks like too much work, plus even though the specs are impressive they are already dated with how smartphone tech is "advancing".

I know that this is not an answer per se but I hope it will give you some perspective.

As for many of the decisions that MS has made with the whole Windows mobile scene, don't get me started there! ;)

Talon Pro

Mar 17, 2009
I know this is an old thread, but I too am interested since MS is killing bits off of WM10 starting with Cortana as an assistant since last week. I have a new 950xl I was thinking of putting WoA on, but not so sure anymore since it's still not polished as an everyday OS yet. I'm still dailying my 3 yo black Friday XL/950/dock package from 2016, but pissed that Cortana is now only a glorified search bar.
I see no reason why someone couldn't get a decent version of 'droid on these. The hardware is more than up to task and would keep a familiar feeling in our hands. I hate to say it, but MS forced us here.

Top Liked Posts