• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Recent content by bobcov

1. B

Thread Is GPS on a P8 Lite really broken or is it software?

Hey, geniuses, I am curious about the behavior of a P8 Lite and hardware failure. It's well known that the Wifi and Bluetooth stop working and their functions are greyed out on the settings on the P8 Lite. But when the GPS is not greyed out and can be turned on and off, is that really also a...
  2. B

Post [GUIDE] Unlock bootloader, root the device and install any custom ROM! (ALE-L23/21)

Would running Android 6 and the update bring back functioning GPS? I just went through a lot of hoops with 5.0.1 on a phone that doesn't have WiFi or Bluetooth in order to use it as a biking GPS unit. After all the work to get root so that I could place the map files where they needed to be, I...
  3. B

Post [GUIDE] Unlock bootloader, root the device and install any custom ROM! (ALE-L23/21)

Long story short, Kingroot PC never worked. I couldn't use the apk, because the WiFi and Bluetooth are dead. And because of that, I decided to turn the phone into a biking GPS. Tried using a reverse tether for connectivity. That worked for webpages and partially for kingo and king, but both...
  4. B

Post Local ringtone - files are not visible

I can confirm uninstalling Themes update, rebooting restores appearance of system sounds under ringtone and notification sounds. Redmii Note 4 rooted, MIUI Global 9.5.10
  5. B

Post Bluetooth always discoverable

Thanks for a great tip. Worked fine for my rooted Redmi Note 4 running global 9.5.10.0. I have an identical stay-at-home phone running Revolution Remix. The ONLY reason I keep MIUI on my daily phone is SecondSpace. Nothing I have seen so far implements a virtual machine as well.
  6. B

Post [ROM] Custom firmware for KII Pro DVB-S2/T2

Your guidance hit the mark. Two of the versions would not sign in, but the one that did sign in played the unplayable movies. Thanks!
  7. B

I will try the other version when I get home. But just so I am clear, Netflix employs different DRM on different movies? Wondering why anything plays on Netflix if DRM is broken. On the other hand, I did see widevine references in build.prop for my old KII box which are not in build.prop for the...
  8. B

The problems is that only some Netflix movies won't play, but I will follow up on your suggestion because I forgot to compare the version on my old box with the version on the new box. If they are different, I will copy from the old to the new. Thanks for reminding me. This is another obvious...
  9. B

Old age. Im gettting stupid. I knew the s905D was incompatible and yet I didn't notice S905D right in the product description. As the saying goes, if it had been a snake, it would have bitten me. Duh. Embarrassing . Netflix has no idea what the problem is and eventually just throw up their...
  10. B

Does anyone know if it is possible to downgrade Mecool Kii Pro from Android 7.1.2 to Android 5.1.1 so that I can load Malaysk' incredibly good software? I have a 5.1.1 Kii Pro box running Malaysk, but it constantly locks up and the cause was never pinpointed so I bought another one. Here is why...
  11. B

Post [TOOL][WIN] OTA Updates (Motorola)

Thanks again. The phone is not rooted, everything is stock. I will try it through recovery and see what happens. I will also keep looking for info on what others do with these files. People have thanked the developer of the OTA program, so it has got to be useful for this process.
  12. B

Thanks for the tip. I will look for the Moto Update Services app. The files are in the root of internal storage. When I went to check for updates through settings, the phone wanted an Internet connection, which of course is not how I want the update to be handled. I just read about the...
  13. B

Post [OFFICIAL][TOOL][WINDOWS] ADB, Fastboot and Drivers - 15 seconds ADB Installer v1.4.3

I joined XDA a long time ago, before people actually expended more keystrokes withholding help from someone than it would take to provide an answer or link to one. Now it is pretty much standard fare to become self-righteous and deeply, no make that mortally, offended because someone does not...
  14. B

After the files are pushed to the phone, what are the steps to get the phone to process them and do the updates? At the momement I am redownloading a 1.16gb file because I cannot find a way to push it to the phone since at the time I did not have push on device ticked. When I put another phone...
  15. B

Nothing to see here. Couldnt delete obsolete question.