Recent content by Jim Chapman

1. Jim Chapman

Post [APP] Freda - a new ebook reader

I am afraid not. Freda for WM6.5 won't be getting any more updates (I no longer even have the development tools to build updates for it). Sorry.
  2. Jim Chapman

A major update to Freda is on the way, adding: A new more sophisticated EPUB/HTML/CSS parser, which renders page layouts (including tables) more faithfully, and uses the font sizes and faces (including embedded fonts) as specified by the EPUB file. Because it's experimental at this stage...
  3. Jim Chapman

Post Epub app, needs to open files and preferably comply with the standard

Why is it important that the app doesn't install the epub file in its own library? Epub files are not generally that large (and you can always delete the file when you have finished with it). And if you insist that the app does not make a copy of the epub file, you're imposing a serious...
  4. Jim Chapman

Freda launched on Android Just in case anyone is still following this thread: Freda is now available on Android. See: https://forum.xda-developers.com/android/apps-games/app-freda-ebook-reader-available-android-t3711102
  5. Jim Chapman

Post [App] Ebook Reader (Freda)

Freda Ebook Reader now available on Android Just in case anyone is still watching this thread: Freda is now updated and available on Android. Please see the relevant new thread in XDA: https://forum.xda-developers.com/android/apps-games/app-freda-ebook-reader-available-android-t3711102
  6. Jim Chapman

Thread [APP][4.2+] Freda Ebook Reader Available on Android

The Freda ebook reader, which has been popular on various Windows platforms since 2009, is now also available for Android. That means that you can enjoy the same reading experience across your Windows and Android devices, using the app’s features to sync between the two platforms. The Android...
  7. Jim Chapman

OK it should be on the update servers now.
  8. Jim Chapman

Sorry about that. There was an issue with the last release, and the WP7 version got dropped incidentally. I will put the WP7 XAP back on the store now. If you have any issues with that please email me at [email protected] and I will send the XAP over.
  9. Jim Chapman

Post Windows 8 eReader app

As it happens, I am in the process of testing this feature out now - so it will be arriving in Freda some time fairly soon. The code does not work quite right yet ... so expect it to take a few weeks. But it is definitely in the pipeline for Freda (both on Windows 8 and Windows Phone).
  10. Jim Chapman

This will get fixed at some point - but not immediately. The problem is that Freda is still a 'Windows Phone 7' app, and when running such apps, Windows Phone 8 just scales the screen size up uniformly. So for phones with a different screen shape (aspect ratio) from 800:480, you end up with a...
  11. Jim Chapman

Post [Q] Good ebook, epub organizer - ala iBooks or eBooks on Samsung Galaxy Tab

Well, once the next release passes through Microsoft certification (in the next few days if we are lucky) it will support bookmarks/annotations - so you can select a word, and associate some annotation text with it. Bookmarked words are shown with a diamond-shaped tag, rather than a highlight...
  12. Jim Chapman

Post [Q] Good ebook, epub organizer - ala iBooks or eBooks on Samsung Galaxy Tab

There will be a couple of further releases in the next weeks - adding various features (including the one you mention - removing imported ebooks). In the current version, you don't need to use Calibre - you can also use a filesystem/SkyDrive browser, and Freda does register itself as able to...
  13. Jim Chapman

Freda Development Roadmap Update Folks, I just thought I might offer a quick update on where Freda development stands, across Windows Phone 8 (WP8) and Windows 8 (W8). Right now, I am working on debugging some issues with Freda for WP8 (the XNA renderer goes strangely wrong when you launch...
  14. Jim Chapman

Windows 8 / RT Not really an 'XDA' topic, but maybe of interest - at least as an excuse for my lack of WP7 activity in the last couple of months: Freda has now arrived on Windows 8 / RT. Link to Store: http://apps.microsoft.com/webpdp/app/freda/fcd5a822-22a7-48e9-8726-eec07c5056fb
  15. Jim Chapman

Thanks for the feedback. If you'd like to email me example books (that don't open, or that display 'ruby remark' in other reading programs) I will take a look at them.