Recent content by JoeHockey

1. J

Post Already updated to Android 12, now being asked if I want to update to 12 again

So I just got off the phone with VZW and they say that there appears to be no difference between the "global" version and the VZW version and that I might as well accept the update. They also mentioned that at some point, say when I go to install the next security update that the VZW A12 update...
  2. J

Post Already updated to Android 12, now being asked if I want to update to 12 again

So I have a new twist on this problem. I have an unlocked Pixel 4a that until this weekend was on Google Fi. I updated to 12 while still on Fi and my build number matches the build number for unlocked phones. Over the weekend I switched my phone over to VZW and within 5 minutes of activation...
  3. J

Thread Android 12 no 360 degree rotation?

Just got the A12 update yesterday and noticed that my phone no longer rotates 360 degrees and I can't find any way to re-enable this. Did they take that option out with the new "smart rotation"?
  4. J

Thread Using physical sim and esim on Project Fi

So this may be more of a Fi question but it also relates to the 4a. Since getting my 4a I've seen a couple of articles talking about setting up the eSim on Fi in addition to the physical sim (also Fi) to improve reception which I find to be a bit worse than the Pixel 4. Has anyone heard of...
  5. J

Thread Anyone thinking of "downgrading" to the 4A?

So I was hanging on to my OG Pixel waiting for the 4A to come out when the OG suddenly died. Needed a phone asap so I picked up the 4. It's a decent enough phone but I have some nagging complaints, I had to get the 64gb version (I was in a hurry), lack of fingerprint scanner, lack of headphone...
  6. J

Post Repair Pixel 2 or Take the Plunge on the 4a

So I was in a similar boat, was waiting for the 4A to come out when my OG Pixel suddenly died. Needed a phone asap so I picked up the 4. It's a decent enough phone but I miss my fingerprint reader, headphone jack and since I was in a hurry with no phone I had to get a 64gb pixel 4. I'm...
  7. J

Post Standby drain

Mine has also started to drain really quickly over the last few days. I don't think I've added any new apps recently so I have no idea what's going on. What is the best way to try to track what is using battery?
  8. J

Thread Lockscreen clock font size?

So I recently got a wireless charging stand for my P4 and quickly realized that at night when it's charging the font on the lockscreen clock is too small for me to read without my glasses. I've looked through settings and haven't found a way to fix this, is there any way to increase the font...
  9. J

Post No notification sounds from messenger

So just to update the problem, I installed a couple different sms apps and both had no problems with sound notifications. I guess this a problem with messenger running on the Pixel 4...
  10. J

Thread No notification sounds from messenger

So just had to upgrade to Pixel 4 two weeks ago when my beloved Pixel 1 decided to die without warning. With everything else going on these days I've been slowly getting the phone set up the way I like it but I finally happened to notice that I am not getting a sound notification for text...
  11. J

Post Fire HD10 7th Gen vs 8th (2019) gen -- performance difference?

Is the HD8 suitable for watching netflix and disney? So I'm starting to look for a replacement for my old Galaxy s3 tablet and the pricing for the HD8 is hard to argue with. I really only want this for watching videos when I'm on the treadmill...is this tablet suitable for this? I've seen...
  12. J

Post Pixel and Android 10 permissions question

So my dumb question then is there an easy way to go through all apps and turn on/off run at startup?
  13. J

Thread Pixel and Android 10 permissions question

So Android 10 is running great on my OG Pixel so far but I'm puzzled by the fact that I'm now getting random prompts that some random app that I haven't run in a long time has just requested location access. This might actually be more of an "how does android work" than a pixel question but I...
  14. J

Post Google Pixel 1 battery troubles

So my battery woes aren't as bad as yours but I did get to the point where I had the battery replaced. I went to uBreakiFix and I have no idea what battery they put in but the bottom line is a brand new battery didn't help much. I got a little better battery life but not as much as I had...
  15. J

Thread compass problems

So I have noticed that the compass on my Pixel is always inaccurate unless I open Maps first. For example if I open a simple compass app (have tried several) it will always be off by a good bit. If I open Maps, compass directions are correct and if I then go back into a compass app the...