• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Recent content by jt3

1. jt3

Thread Google Home Hub Issues

Got the new Home Hub. Already have two issues. I'm curious if others have found a solution: 1. The screen get TOO dark at night. Even though I have the screen timout setting turned off, and the Auto-Brightness Offset setting to max brightness, the screen still shuts (almost) completely off...
  2. jt3

Post side-loading with normal unlock on bootloader

What do you mean by sideloading? If you're sideloading an OTA then TWRP isn't necessary. You can simply sideload by following instructions on the Google OTA page. The critical unlock is used to root your phone. This allows you to install TWRP, and flash a factory image, or other boot image...
  3. jt3

Post November OTA

That really sounds like your ADB is out of date. Make sure you have the latest version. By the way, for those who downloaded this update primarily to get the KRACK fix: Apparently, this update doesn't actually include the KRACK fix. That only comes with builds dated on or after Nov. 6...
  4. jt3

Post Did you use Google "data transfer tool"? problems with apps?

I used it twice. Once from my Nexus 6P to the P2XL, and again when I had to swap my first P2XL out for another (For some reason, my Fi pre-order somehow got fulfilled through the Google Store, so they couldn't activate Device Protection... and no, neither Fi nor I have any idea how that...
  5. jt3

Post Should we unlock the Bootloader if no root planned

That really falls under the heading of "Someone finds a way to make it work." Eventually though, an update will come when Magisk doesn't work, then I have to relock the bootloader (which will wipe the device) to get AP to work again, or do without until a different fix is found. Sure, it's a...
  6. jt3

Post Should we unlock the Bootloader if no root planned

Unlocking the bootloader was always the very first thing I did when I got a new phone. However, I use Android Pay all the time, and Google seems very determined to break AP for unlocked bootloaders with every new patch. Sure, someone usually finds a way to get it working again, but that...
  7. jt3

Post Do it have Stereo Mic recording (for video recording) ??

According to this video: https://youtu.be/0Mp5Y3UTWH8?t=704 ...it only records in mono.
  8. jt3

Post Question about screen protector and squeeze feature?

Someone will surely correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you actually squeeze the body of the phone, meaning, the sides don't actually compress. What you're doing by squeezing the phone is really squeezing your fingertips (and the base of your palm area), so that your skin makes contact...
  9. jt3

Post Pixel 2 HDR Support

There is that possibility. Maybe the LG-made P2XL supports it, but not the HTC-made P2, and Google doesn't want to draw attention to that. However, if that's the case, they may never actually enable it on the XL, so that they can keep the two phones on the same level. Remember, they've made a...
  10. jt3

Post Pixel 2 HDR Support

My guess is: No. If the screen itself supported HDR, they almost surely would have touted it, even if it weren't enabled software-wise. It's always possible, of course, but my guess is that it's a hardware limitation. EDIT: To answer the post above me... There's more to HDR than just...
  11. jt3

Post Google pixel 2 XL shipping

Ordered a Just Black XL (128GB) version through Fi (which really just handed me over to the Google Store) a couple hours after the announcement (on the 4th). Got an estimated delivery of Oct 23-25.
  12. jt3

Post Why I AM getting the Pixel 2 XL (coming from a 6P)

LIke you, I'm upgrading from my 6P. While I was interested in the original Pixel, there just wasn't enough to justify upgrading. It wasn't the price either. Had they offered the PXL for $399, I still doubt I'd have bought it. There simply wasn't enough to draw me from my 6P, which has been...
  13. jt3

Post Your next phone after the 6p?

I was a bit sad to see that the new pixels don't have wireless charging, but I've been having serious battery issues with my 6P, so I was torn between buying a P2XL, or using my Fi insurance, and probably getting a Pixel XL (for the $99 deductible). Ultimately, between the camera (OIS+EIS...
  14. jt3

Post Chances of Pixel 2 XL selling out?

I'm a bit confused. I pre-ordered my P2XL 128 (Black) yesterday, a bit after the show, and it says "Ships 10/23." Others (who ordered DURING the show) are seeing shipping dates even earlier. Why, then, are all of the tech sites claiming that only the P2 is being released on 10/19, and that...
  15. jt3

Post android 8.0 oreo OTA

Since they haven't released the TMo/Fi build yet, it will likely have a newer build number, so using ADB, you'll be able to sideload the OTA update just fine. The only reason you wouldn't is if the TMo/Fi build has a LOWER build number. I think, even equal build numbers still work using ADB...