Recent content by mrbuddy

1. mrbuddy

Post ZE551KL Official Bootloader Unlock

Yes, I had already updated stock LP to stock MM OTA before trying to unlock the bootloader. In retrospect likely a mistake but I didn't realize the asus unlocker was so flaky. I couldn't unlock while in MM so finally reverted back to LP and the unlocker worked.
  2. mrbuddy

Post [Q&A][GENERAL HELP] [Noob Friendly] Ask any question

In theory, you should be able to root without unlocking the bootloader, then use an unofficial unlock http://xdaforums.com/zenfone-2-laser/general/guide-unlock-bootloader-asus-unlock-app-t3405850 I couldn't get that to work, so I ended up downgrading to lollipop and used the official unlock...
  3. mrbuddy

What finally worked for me (ZE551KL) was to 1) fastboot flash the 1.17.40.1531 recovery from shakalaca http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=67626171&postcount=3 2) fastboot erase system 3) put stock 1.17.40.1531 firmware from asus US website...
  4. mrbuddy

No joy here with asus unlocker tool for ze551kl - keep getting the "application has stopped" error. Tried to downgrade (in case that might work better with unlocker tool) by erasing system and flashing stock firmware update from sdcard but now in bootloop.
  5. mrbuddy

Post [GUIDE] Downgrade Zenfone 2 Laser to any official firmware

Tried downgrading ze551kl by fastboot erase system then installing .zip from Asus website (via sdcard). All of the Asus updates except the earliest fail with 'fota return code 403'. 1.14.40.550 installs ok but then boots (gets as far as displaying the wallpaper), gives an error message in...
  6. mrbuddy

Post [Q&A][GENERAL HELP] [Noob Friendly] Ask any question

Asus bootloader unlock apk won't work on my ZE551KL. I'd like to at least have root. Is it as simple as fastboot flashing the appropriate pre-rooted system.img by shakalaca? Would the ZE601KL system.img work (both are ZOOT)? Thanks Edit: Just noticed that shakalaca's MM version slightly...
  7. mrbuddy

Post ZE551KL 16GB how much internal storage available for use

Oh yeah, guess that's a different partition. Darn.
  8. mrbuddy

Post ZE551KL 16GB how much internal storage available for use

Answer if anyone interested, 10.8 GB available (at first boot, before any clean up).
  9. mrbuddy

Thread ZE551KL 16GB how much internal storage available for use

Will probably flash CM but would like to know how much internal storage is available on stock rom (after removing as much bloat as possible). Thanks
  10. mrbuddy

Post [HELP] Problems with OTG - usb storage, usb joystick, sd card

1. AFAIK, no standard for OTG. So Laser 2 might support mouse/keyboard/storage but not joystick. 2. Got corrupted or a bad card. How did you format it and with what format? e.g., not all card readers support sdxc. If cost not an issue, just get a new card BUT if some bad app corrupted the...
  11. mrbuddy

Post SGS2 Canadian Thread (Bell/Virgin/Sasktel/Rogers) Root/Unlock/Firmware/Modems/Mods

I'm pretty sure it's the one I used (can't find it under 'my apps' to 100% confirm). It should let you know whether it can root your phone before you pay.
  12. mrbuddy

Post SGS2 Canadian Thread (Bell/Virgin/Sasktel/Rogers) Root/Unlock/Firmware/Modems/Mods

Sorry to hear that. Check out Galaxsim Unlock by spocky in play store. I thought it was only 2 eu but someone above said it's now ~3. Only other suggestion is stick with earlier firmware (like early cm9) that the old methods still work on.
  13. mrbuddy

At some point (can't remember, think it was in ICS) the kernel was patched and old sim unlock methods didn't work any more. AFAIK the new ones all cost a couple of $ (but worth it to run newer CM).
  14. mrbuddy

Post Moto X Dev edition shipping to Canada?

Sorry, can't help. Ended up buying Nexus 5. I wish I was in Wind's service area but am not so never looked into that.