Recent content by rhcohen

1. R

Thread App killer?

Until recently I used to be able to use Android Assistant to kill un-needed apps and so free up memory (and also preserve battery life, help phone run cooler, etc.). But recently -- not sure if it was after the OS update on the Idol 3 (6045I) or an update of Android Assistant itself -- the...
  2. R

Post Google translate with offline speech input?

I can update a bit. If I go to settings/Language & Input/Voice Input and select "Basic Google Recognition", then Translate will most of the time (not always) recognize my speech input offline (as noted before I have no issues in other apps, so I can't see where swiftkey would help), for going...
  3. R

Thread Google translate with offline speech input?

Anyone know how to get Google Translate working with offline speech input (e.g. in airplane mode) on the Idol 3? This worked for me on my old Moto phone running KK (actually, running CM11). But on the Idol 3, I can do offline translation via typing (having downloaded the relevant offline...
  4. R

Thread Will the USA Idol 3 work in Japan?

I will be traveling in Japan and wondering if the 3G bands of the USA version of the Idol 3 (6045I) are compatible with Japanese networks. From what I've read the best possibility is the 2100 MHz band, but just because the idol 3 specs say "2100 MHz" does that mean it includes (or at least...
  5. R

Post New Update August 10th - Stagefright Patch

I am curious, the SU zip file has the name "UPDATE" at the beginning. But it is a real (complete) SU binary, not some kind of update patch? I'm asking because I originally rooted with the pre-TWRP method (booting the boot.img that installed SuperSU), and now I will need to re-root after the...
  6. R

Thread usb port problem (idol 3 5.5")

I found this evening that I could not plug in my usb cable sufficient to allow charging. It seems the pins in the phone had bent slightly. I was able to remedy the situation with a jeweler's screwdriver, thereby saving, for now, sending the phone back. But as I have never stuck anything in...
  7. R

Post New Update August 10th - Stagefright Patch

I can confirm that you can get to the same point by simply unchecking the "enable Superuser" checkbox in SuperSU settings. This disables root and hides SuperSU (per the comments in SuperSU's popup window). After doing this, I can check for updates with the same result ("your software is up to...
  8. R

Post [6045*] [TWRP] custom recovery 2.8.7.0

Thanks, and Good (tentatively)... I guess the real test will come when there is actually an update, to see if the "repair" is totally successful. (We know for example that just unrooting is sufficient to clear the "Upgrade is disabled" message you get when you check for updates.)
  9. R

I've been away for a while and am confused, in reading the thread, about just where we are with recovery. Will the posted TWRP actually backup/restore the state of the phone, including system, for all 6045 models (in particular I'm interested in 6045I) despite the recovery.log problem (showing...
  10. R

Thank you for the info about partitions by names. I did that, found the partition with my (stock) recovery, created a recovery.img from that, pulled it to my computer, and then found that, while it is the same size as yours ( DallasCZ ), they are not quite binary identical: % diff recovery.img...
  11. R

Good idea, thanks. I did that, and found that recovery is /dev/block/mmcblk0p27. What I would like to know is, how did DallasCZ figure that out? This must be device-dependent, as I found an example for another device (different manufacturer) which had a different number after mmcblk.
  12. R

Yes I did download that -- but do we know that recovery is independent of the specific phone model? Also I was just plain curious about how to do a backup of the stock recovery. I've done a google search for this but not found a prescription relevant to the the Idol 3. But surely DallasCZ knows.
  13. R

Maybe someone has covered the following but I could not find it searching the thread: before actually flashing the twrp recovery (as opposed to just booting from a copy on one's computer), it seems like it would be a good idea to backup the stock recovery. So presumably I want to create a...
  14. R

Post [6045] If you want to be able to install OTA updates after root READ THIS!

Correction: Mac does not have adb and fastboot built in. What it does have built in is USB support for communicating with the phone, whereas I understand that on Windows you have to install Alcatel's USB driver. On a mac one still has to download/install adb and fastboot, which I did by...
  15. R

Post [6045] If you want to be able to install OTA updates after root READ THIS!

Pretty interesting. I was also thinking of trying the unroot option in SuperSU. Anyone have an opinion about whether hiding the su binary will be sufficient to allow an update? or do we think the checking of whether the system has ever been mounted rw, and checksum tests, will only be done...