[RECOVERY][mojo] TWRP 2.8.2.0 recovery Mad Catz M.O.J.O.

Search This thread

TwistyTravster

Feb 3, 2016
Barrie, Ontario
I'm posting this in the TWRP thread since this happened to me while in TWRP.

Well, it appears I managed to brick the unbrickable.

Understand that this is a long shot, at best. I would never recommend this under any other circumstance.

If your MOJO truly will not boot to anything at all, then something must be screwed up in your fastboot. If you open up your MOJO, there may be some possible way to reset your CMOS with a button, or maybe by removing the battery and reinstalling it. If it even uses a removable battery at all, I don't have a clue. Short of that, I don't know of any other way of fixing something like this.

kevinthefixer

Oct 26, 2014
Understand that this is a long shot, at best. I would never recommend this under any other circumstance.

If your MOJO truly will not boot to anything at all, then something must be screwed up in your fastboot. If you open up your MOJO, there may be some possible way to reset your CMOS with a button, or maybe by removing the battery and reinstalling it. If it even uses a removable battery at all, I don't have a clue. Short of that, I don't know of any other way of fixing something like this.

Guess it won't hurt to try. I doubt the MOJO has a battery; it does not keep real time when powered off, and of course it's designed to be an always-on thing. So any buttons inside won't do anything unless the machine is powered on. It should be safe enough, though, it only runs on 5 volts. There is probably a PROM chip in there that could be re-programmed if it's a firmware problem, but it's likely to be soldered onto the board and so would require lots of time and equipment to do that. There is a procedure to reflash Nvidia processors, but AFAIK it has not been implemented for the MOJO, and in any case it must be set up beforehand for each individual device. In other words, more work than the MOJO is worth and too late anyway.

rkitect

Apr 21, 2008
Tulsa
revittotd.com
I can certainly give it a shot. I have a note in to Madcatz support to see if there's any response. I'll be waiting on that response to decide if I should open it up. Thanks again for the suggestions.

kevinthefixer

Oct 26, 2014
I can certainly give it a shot. I have a note in to Madcatz support to see if there's any response. I'll be waiting on that response to decide if I should open it up. Thanks again for the suggestions.

I was just browsing the "general" section, there's a thread there about power and reset buttons. It gives a very good howto open the box.

xxhtownutzxx

Oct 28, 2011
So I flashed to CM12 and was loving it until today. I went to change my theme and noticed you can download themes from playstore so i did. Once I applied it everything went to ****e. For example I cannot open things like playstoreand other apps,ES file explorer doesn't recognize my internal memory, etc. I tried to reboot into recovery but I cannot do that either, all that happens when it reboots is a dead looking droid with its stomach open and a red exclamation triangle pops up on screen. After a few seconds it reboots again to home screen. So i dont think I'm completely bricked but cant do much now without getting into TWRP. Pics below are of my mojo screen during reboot into recovery and the theme i applied that caused all these issues. Please help!

kevinthefixer

Oct 26, 2014
This is a double post

So I flashed to CM12 and was loving it until today. I went to change my theme and noticed you can download themes from playstore so i did. Once I applied it everything went to ****e. For example I cannot open things like playstoreand other apps,ES file explorer doesn't recognize my internal memory, etc. I tried to reboot into recovery but I cannot do that either, all that happens when it reboots is a dead looking droid with its stomach open and a red exclamation triangle pops up on screen. After a few seconds it reboots again to home screen. So i dont think I'm completely bricked but cant do much now without getting into TWRP. Pics below are of my mojo screen during reboot into recovery and the theme i applied that caused all these issues. Please help!

Please do not post the same question in different sections.

aeshma

Feb 8, 2011
Twisty I have sent you a private message.
I run prompt as admin and try to run flash recovery but I get the following message:

"C:\r3-mojo-superboot-mmm>fastboot-windows.exe -i 0x0738 flash recovery openrecovery-twrp-2.8.2.0-mojo.img
target reported max download size of 643825664 bytes
sending 'recovery' (7312 KB)..."

The Booting OS logo starts flashing...

How long should it take? Is it me that it is not waiting enought (awaited 10 minutes) or is it stuck?
Please help.

Edit** IT WAS THE USB CABLE!!! I MANAGED TO REVIVE THE MOJOOOO I CAN'T BELIEVE IT! When I was going to flash the stock rome I finally realized what was the error "BACKLIGHT LED ERROR".

TWISTY YOU ARE A HERO!!!! THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!!

Last edited:

kal357

Jul 3, 2010
Can someone please look at the post I created under can someone please help me under General

gbrooke

Jan 18, 2014
Google Pixel 4a 5G
Twisty I have sent you a private message.
I run prompt as admin and try to run flash recovery but I get the following message:

"C:\r3-mojo-superboot-mmm>fastboot-windows.exe -i 0x0738 flash recovery openrecovery-twrp-2.8.2.0-mojo.img
target reported max download size of 643825664 bytes
sending 'recovery' (7312 KB)..."

The Booting OS logo starts flashing...

How long should it take? Is it me that it is not waiting enought (awaited 10 minutes) or is it stuck?
Please help.

Edit** IT WAS THE USB CABLE!!! I MANAGED TO REVIVE THE MOJOOOO I CAN'T BELIEVE IT! When I was going to flash the stock rome I finally realized what was the error "BACKLIGHT LED ERROR".

TWISTY YOU ARE A HERO!!!! THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!!

im getting same led/backlight error and booting to a black screen...im using the usb cable that came with my mojo, please help!!!!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Team Win Recovery Project 2.x, or twrp2 for short, is a custom recovery built with ease of use and customization in mind. Its a fully touch driven user interface no more volume rocker or power buttons to mash. The GUI is also fully XML driven and completely theme-able. You can change just about every aspect of the look and feel.

Phone look:

Tablet look:

CHANGELOG for 2.8.2.0:
    -Pull in all changes from Android 5.0 lollipop into TWRP
    -Add decrypt support for Android 5.0 lollipop encrypted partitions including automatic decrypt when the default_password is in use
    -Revert some changes to exFAT that were breaking exFAT support on some devices
    -Other minor fixes and updates

Note: At this time we do not have a GUI representation for pattern unlock. You can still decrypt patterns though by translating the pattern dots to numbers. The pattern dots correspond to numbers in the following pattern:
    1 2 3
    4 5 6
    7 8 9

So an upper-case L would translate to a password of 14789 entered on the keyboard. Eventually we plan to add a proper pattern unlock to TWRP but it is a relatively low priority at this point.

Also note that you will need the latest adb binaries on your computer to sideload with this new version of TWRP.

CHANGELOG for 2.8.1.0:
    -MTP fixes and improvements - you can now copy zips to the root of storage - thanks to _that
    -TrueType Font support - optional as it takes up a decent amount of space so may not be available on all devices - thanks to Tassadar
    -Temperature support - thanks to bigbiff
    -Various other bugfixes and tweaks

CHANGELOG for 2.8.0.1:
    -Fix a bug that causes weird graphics glitches and touch issues

CHANGELOG for 2.8.0.0:
    -Add MTP support to recovery thanks mostly to bigbiff with a little help from Dees_Troy
    -Add command line capabilities - you can now execute various TWRP features via adb instead of the touchscreen
    -Add support for color in the console and give error, warning, and highlight lines different colors
    -Track backup and restore progress based on file sizes to provide a much more accurate indication of progress
    -Improve handling of /misc thanks to mdmower
    -Improve setting of time on Qualcomm devices thanks to [NUT]
    -Allow using images on slidervalue GUI objects thanks to Tassadar
    -Allow using variables and addition and subtraction in variables for easier theming
    -Add support for 1440x2560, 280x280, and 320x320 resolutions and update 240x240
    -Allow ui.xml file to include additional xml files to help break up the theme and make TWRP easier to maintain
    -Other minor fixes and improvements

Over the course of the last year or so, bigbiff has worked to migrate various Java functions from Android's MTP implementation to bring you a fully C++ based MTP implementation that allows you to transfer files to both emulated storage and Micro SD cards. It's confirmed to work on various Nexus devices but we may have to make some changes on other devices to keep Windows happy. Windows is very picky about USB IDs and its drivers. We have tested it on Windows 7 and 8 as well as Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty. MTP is enabled by default, but we do toggle it off and on automatically during certain operations such as if you choose to wipe a storage partition. You can enable or disable MTP under the mount menu in TWRP. For more about what MTP is here.

Note: Due to a weird bug with our MTP setup, you cannot copy a zip file to the root of storage with Windows. You can change the .zip to something else like .txt and then copy it to the root and rename the file back to .zip once it's copied to the device. You can also copy the zip into any subfolder.

Command line support is also now available. You can perform various OpenRecoveryScript commands via the adb shell. Depending on what you are doing you may wish to do a "twrp set tw_mtp_enabled 0" and then reboot to prevent the MTP auto toggle from killing your adb interface. You can use this option to create and restore backups, wipe, install zips, and more. Via adb shell, type twrp followed by a space then enter the OpenRecoveryScript command and hit enter. Find more OpenRecoveryScript commands here.

CHANGELOG for 2.7.1.0:
    -Add GUI option to change or repair file systems on individual partitions. The change is destructive so backup your data including internal sdcard first. This option should make it a little easier to migrate a device from ext4 -> f2fs, for instance. You will find this option under Wipe -> Advanced Wipe, then select only one partition and then press the Repair or Change File System button. If a developer has added f2fs support for your device and we don't have it in TWRP, please contact me via PM to arrange for it to be added.
    -Various bugfixes to backup and restore
    -Improvements to USB storage handling
    -Added a class to search for files to make finding the correct brightness file automatic in most cases
    -Various other bugfixes and tweaks

DOWNLOAD:
    TWRP Builds

BUGS:
    If you have found a bug, please consider posting it to our github issues log. It's pretty much impossible for us to keep up with the more than 40 threads that we have for the devices that we "directly" support. If you have a significant problem that cannot be answered in this thread, your best bet is to PM me directly, contact us via our website, or find us in our IRC channel below. If you see someone that's struggling, feel free to point it out to us. We need your help to help us keep track of all of our devices! Thanks!

SUPPORT:
    Live support is available via #twrp on Freenode with your IRC client or just click this link.
    INSTALLATION:

* Download MoDaCo Mod for MOJO Here . This zip contains the adb and fastboot binaries for Linux, Mac , and Windows. If you have windows install the drivers inside the zip if not continue.

* Place the downloaded image in the root of the r3-mojo-superboot-mmm folder

* Enter fastboot mode by unplugging the device and connecting the male A to male A usb cable to the device and the computer and plugging in the power adapter. Once in fastboot follow the below commands.

* To exit fastboot mode remove the male A to male A usb cable and plug in the power adapter to start a normal boot.

WINDOWS - open cmd prompt in the root of the r3-mojo-superboot-mmm folder

To install the image to device:
    Code:
    fastboot-windows.exe -i 0x0738 flash recovery openrecovery-twrp-2.8.2.0-mojo.img

To boot the image:
    Code:
    fastboot-windows.exe -i 0x0738 boot openrecovery-twrp-2.8.2.0-mojo.img

MAC - Open a terminal in the root of the r3-mojo-superboot-mmm folder

Code:
    chmod +x fastboot-mac

Code:
    ./fastboot-mac -i 0x0738 flash recovery openrecovery-twrp-2.8.2.0-mojo.img

To boot the image:
    Code:
    ./fastboot-mac -i 0x0738 boot openrecovery-twrp-2.8.2.0-mojo.img

LINUX - Open a terminal in the root of the r3-mojo-superboot-mmm folder

Code:
    chmod +x fastboot-linux

To install the image to device:
    Code:
    ./fastboot-linux -i 0x0738 flash recovery openrecovery-twrp-2.8.2.0-mojo.img

To boot the image:
    Code:
    ./fastboot-linux -i 0x0738 boot openrecovery-twrp-2.8.2.0-mojo.img
    Just letting you guys know that I was able to successfully flash the recovery using this app. Worked without issue and it's an option for those without a USB cable.
    I haven't used my Mojo in a while now. So happy when I just saw this. Thank you for your hard work.
    @gwaldo @Sir Jaxxy I have posted a new build . The name of the image is exactly the same so it matches the instructions so make sure you delete the previous image. The issue was a file was missing landscape.xml and the reason mine didn't fail is because I had a custom theme applied which included this file. Enjoy!!