[UNOFFICIAL][20180324]Lineageos 13.0 for Mad Catz M.O.J.O - androidTV

Search This thread

K-Project

Apr 2, 2016
I also notice that the "hotplug" functionality is not always as stable on the latest rom. If you turn on your MOJO make sure that the HDMI cable is attached. Sometimes if you plug in the HDMI after you turn on the MOJO - sound could be lost. rebooting solves this in my situation.

Yes to be fair this also happens with the Raspberry Pi. If your TV isn't on or the HDMI cable isn't plugged in when you switch it on, you'll get nothing, even after you quickly plug the cables in/switch the TV on.

The main limitation is that the apps on AndroidTV need "leanback" support. Very simply said, they must be easy controllable with a "controller" (not mouse/touchscreen).
So on the Playstore you'll only find app with leanback support - which is represent ? 1 - 10% ? of all android Apps.

You still can side load all non-leanback apps on the AndroidTV rom but once you start using the "AndroidTV remote" (for me a keyboard/mouse on the mojo doesn't make sense if your on the couch :/) You'll feel that you need a leanback-app to have smooth control.
Beside this there is practically no difference.

Hope this gives you a bit more insight.

Ah, now this I did not know, so thank you for the information. I always admired the Android TV interface and thought it would suit the MOJO very well, but I did not realise it came with these limitations. I suppose it makes sense in some ways, but I would be very upset at losing so many apps and I wouldn't really fancy having to sideload so many.

EdoNINJA93

Feb 14, 2017
Treviso
Ah, now this I did not know, so thank you for the information. I always admired the Android TV interface and thought it would suit the MOJO very well, but I did not realise it came with these limitations. I suppose it makes sense in some ways, but I would be very upset at losing so many apps and I wouldn't really fancy having to sideload so many.

Yup, IMHO the most annoying thing isn't the sideloading of the apps, but the fact that you have to also manually update them (by installing a newer apk version) every time, since the Play Store won't recognize them... :rolleyes:

Beaky77

Feb 17, 2018
I have updated to this but have no sound at all, has anyone else had this problem?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup, IMHO the most annoying thing isn't the sideloading of the apps, but the fact that you have to also manually update them (by installing a newer apk version) every time, since the Play Store won't recognize them... :rolleyes:

The Aptoide TV app typically solves this issue for me. Just be careful not to enable auto updates (in aptoide) since you may end up messing up some of the stock app installs.

---------- Post added at 08:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:31 AM ----------

I have updated to this but have no sound at all, has anyone else had this problem?

Yeah, posted about it on the previous page, in fact. Afterward, carp_be advised me to try his initial release (will do today). Is video streaming for you at normal speeds? Streaming too fast (looks like fast forward) was the other issue I had.

Last edited:

Beaky77

Feb 17, 2018
The Aptoide TV app typically solves this issue for me. Just be careful not to enable auto updates since you may end up messing up some of the stock app installs.

---------- Post added at 08:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:31 AM ----------

Yeah, posted about it on the previous page, in fact. Afterward,

carp_be advised me to try his initial release (will do today). Is video streaming for you at normal speeds? Streaming too fast (looks like fast forward) was the other issue I had.

Video streaming seemed perfect just no sound, do you know how to root this again since I flashed it it’s says it’s not rooted. Originally I used towelroot but this doesn’t work on this image. Thanks.

paulod1892

Apr 13, 2014
Maybe you did not grant Flashify root access ? I'm anyhow alwayse using the USB cable most stable for developing.

Superuser also says I don't have root access so I'm unable to allow access to anything via that. I've reverted back to the original mmm rooting method via usb cable which seems to work, boots back into Remix with an 'Android is upgrading' progress bar but still no root access after loading:mad: it's doing my head in.
Is there any way to get back to stock and start from scratch again or am I stuck in Remix forever?

Edit - I've tried both towelroot and Kingroot with no success

Last edited:
Heya, I would try out my first build "lineageos-13.0-20180101-UNOFFICIAL-mojo-AndroidTV" this rom uses an pre-builld audio drivers, might work better for you. SD card support should be functioning on both versions, but please take care that the Wi-Fi driver can become non functioning (same as with UJD build).

Thanks carp_be! This version worked perfectly! Audio's back, and video plays at normal speed now (for whatever reason). I haven't even tried Wi-Fi yet because the ethernet works really well. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Beaky77

Feb 17, 2018
My windows 10 pc is not seeing the mojo in ADB, I’m sure I have the right drivers installed has anyone got a link for me to make sure.

carp_be

Aug 8, 2013
Brugge
Superuser also says I don't have root access so I'm unable to allow access to anything via that. I've reverted back to the original mmm rooting method via usb cable which seems to work, boots back into Remix with an 'Android is upgrading' progress bar but still no root access after loading:mad: it's doing my head in.
Is there any way to get back to stock and start from scratch again or am I stuck in Remix forever?

Edit - I've tried both towelroot and Kingroot with no success

Can't you flash TWRP via USB and then boot into recovery ? Once you are in TWRP you can flash all you want :)
If you want to go to stock - you"ll need to download the latest OTA for the Mojo and flash this.

Video streaming seemed perfect just no sound, do you know how to root this again since I flashed it it’s says it’s not rooted. Originally I used towelroot but this doesn’t work on this image. Thanks.
Lineageos doesn't work with towelroot. you need to install the SU addon (https://download.lineageos.org/extras)

My windows 10 pc is not seeing the mojo in ADB, I’m sure I have the right drivers installed has anyone got a link for me to make sure.

I'm currently using the samsung ADB drivers on Win10 (installed via device manager)- this seems to be working fine.

paulod1892

Apr 13, 2014
Can't you flash TWRP via USB and then boot into recovery ? Once you are in TWRP you can flash all you want :)
If you want to go to stock - you"ll need to download the latest OTA for the Mojo and flash this.

Noob question, do I not need to be rooted to flash TWRP? I did try that last night via usb but if failed so assumed I needed root.
If you could point me in the direction of an idiots guide that would be great. Once I'm in TWRP I'm fine it's just getting to that point on the mojo that beats me.
Also my Remix install has decided it is short of storage even though there is over 7GB left on internal and keeps prompting me every 30 seconds so I have to change regardless now.

EdoNINJA93

Feb 14, 2017
Treviso
Noob question, do I not need to be rooted to flash TWRP? I did try that last night via usb but if failed so assumed I needed root.
If you could point me in the direction of an idiots guide that would be great. Once I'm in TWRP I'm fine it's just getting to that point on the mojo that beats me.
Also my Remix install has decided it is short of storage even though there is over 7GB left on internal and keeps prompting me every 30 seconds so I have to change regardless now.

You don't need to be rooted to flash TWRP, but you need to flash TWRP to be rooted (simple as that ;) )

1) Put the Root SuperSu flashable zip inside your Mojo (or its SD card)
2) Connect your MOJO to your PC using a male-to-male USB cable and launch the ADB interface
3) You have to type a specific command in order to flash TWRP to your MOJO
4) Type another command to directly open TWRP interface on your Mojo, flash the SuperSU zip and reboot your console

Follow this guide from minute 2:04 -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBzbGe-P2vE

Last edited:
Reactions: paulod1892

paulod1892

Apr 13, 2014
You don't need to be rooted to flash TWRP, but you need to flash TWRP to be rooted (simple as that ;) )

1) Put the Root SuperSu flashable zip inside your Mojo (or its SD card)
2) Connect your MOJO to your PC using a male-to-male USB cable and launch the ADB interface
3) You have to type a specific command in order to flash TWRP to your MOJO
4) Type another command to directly open TWRP interface on your Mojo, flash the SuperSU zip and reboot your console

Follow this guide from minute 2:04 -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBzbGe-P2vE

Thanks so much for the help, got it sorted now just going through first boot.
Thanks also to carp_be for his help, much appreciated :good::good::good::)

Getting loads of errors, apps not starting/ stopping etc, guess my install is corrupted. Really like the look of it though, will reinstall tonight using TWRP 3.2.1 now that I know what I'm doing :)

Last edited:

carp_be

Aug 8, 2013
Brugge
Thanks so much for the help, got it sorted now just going through first boot.
Thanks also to carp_be for his help, much appreciated :good::good::good::)

Getting loads of errors, apps not starting/ stopping etc, guess my install is corrupted. Really like the look of it though, will reinstall tonight using TWRP 3.2.1 now that I know what I'm doing :)

I think you probably didn't do a full wipe (all except external SD) ? Also take into account the Android TV room has gapps so don't flash any opengapps on this ROM.

Good luck !

Reactions: paulod1892

carp_be

Aug 8, 2013
Brugge
Had 2 busy weekends so no updates yet. Bought a new HDD to install Ubuntu in dual boot instead of a virtual machine , was more challenging than I remember :p.

Next up would be kernel changes/patches from ADT-1 or HP Bowser kernel to improve stability. Will be a slow slow process but I hope to learn a lot on kernel development. I'll keep you all tuned.

Reactions: edxmon

EdoNINJA93

Feb 14, 2017
Treviso
Had 2 busy weekends so no updates yet. Bought a new HDD to install Ubuntu in dual boot instead of a virtual machine , was more challenging than I remember :p.

Next up would be kernel changes/patches from ADT-1 or HP Bowser kernel to improve stability. Will be a slow slow process but I hope to learn a lot on kernel development. I'll keep you all tuned.

Really thank you, every effort is VERY MUCH appreciated! :)

And what do you think about the vanilla LineageOS 13 for the Mojo? Is there any room for improvement also for it?

paulod1892

Apr 13, 2014
I think you probably didn't do a full wipe (all except external SD) ? Also take into account the Android TV room has gapps so don't flash any opengapps on this ROM.

Good luck !

Yep reinstalled earlier and all working fine this time around. Found the reason i couldn't install TWRP 3.2.1-0 was a typo on my behalf :eek:
Really liking the look of this and everything I've tried has worked fine, only issue I have is Play Store seems limited but can work round it by searching in the browser and I've now installed most of the apps I use now

paulod1892

Apr 13, 2014
I'm having loss of audio issue, tried rebooting, unplug and restart and with tv on and off and it hasn't came back on. I think I read earlier in thread to try one of the earlier builds, can I flash over current set up or is it best to wipe and start from scratch and if so which build would be better
Thanks

dotlee

Dec 26, 2017
I'm having loss of audio issue, tried rebooting, unplug and restart and with tv on and off and it hasn't came back on. I think I read earlier in thread to try one of the earlier builds, can I flash over current set up or is it best to wipe and start from scratch and if so which build would be better
Thanks
Try removing the YouTube update

carp_be

Aug 8, 2013
Brugge
Mmmh, it sounds strange that an older build seems to work better than the newest one... :confused:

It sounds indeed strange, but compared to the initial build , de device drives were updated + "sound driver" is now build from open source code. So quite some changes were done. The more that is changed the more that could go wrong unfortunately :(.
The sound driver code is in-line with what the ADT-1 device is using. But there they don't have the sound issue.

I noticed that mainly the "hotplug" of HDMI can cause no sound. So I each time boot with HDMI already attached. Besides this limitation, sound is working find on my MOJO.
Currently I'm busy reading in on Kernel development, I'm at the moment not that succesfull as nono2lozere on kernel modifications as my kernels are not yet working. Quite convinced that with the correct kernel patch the Sound should be fix, I only need to find it:/

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FE7Ue6XN.png

Code:
    /*
     * Your warranty is now void.
     * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
     * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
     * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
     * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
     * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
     */

Installation
    - TWRP (I used 2.8.2.0)
    - advanced wipe recomended (rom has gapps included)
    - install as any other custom rom
    - IMPORTANT : optimizing google play services can take some time ! took on my device 1-2 minutes.
    - Initial bluetooth pairing can be skipped by using "ESC" key from keyboard or wait 2-3 minutes, the google setup via your smartphone is functional (worked for me :) )

bugs:
    - Cast Receiver (youtube App) : sometimes it works, while it shouldn't :confused: (logcat indicates invalid certificate - as we don't have an official supported device i'm afraid I can't fix this) (removed)
    - Bluetooth MOJO controller - doesn't always pair or re-pair after reboot - could be ROM related or controller related. Once paired it works quite good. more stable with lineageos 13 !
    - Don't update the youtube app ! the App will crash as we currently don't support rastarization (OpenGL ES v3) https://www.chromium.org/developers/design-documents/chromium-graphics/how-to-get-gpu-rasterization
    -If the installation get stuck on "finishing boot" -> wait 10 seconds, then hard reboot (pull the power) - this in only needed once.

changelog:
    Code:
    [B][U]lineageos-13.0-20180324-UNOFFICIAL-mojo-AndroidTV[/U][/B]
    - Updated the sound config of the MOJO - HDMI sound stability is increased
    - updated google assistent app to latest version 

[B][U]lineageos-13.0-20180311-UNOFFICIAL-mojo-AndroidTV[/U][/B]
    - Reverted the device drivers back to the ones from the initial release.
    - removed google cast receiver as it continuously reports issues and as such uses resources. 
    - if you want cast support - I recommend installing [URL="https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ionitech.airscreen"]https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ionitech.airscreen[/URL]
    - Default google App has been updated - to enable google assisent support - I'm testing stability.

[B][U]lineageos-13.0-20180204-UNOFFICIAL-mojo-AndroidTV[/U][/B]
    New PowerHAL and AudioHAL from molly thanks to nono2loreze!
    Android TV remote - voice search now functional due to new AudioHAL !
    Included googlewebview by default
    Other improvements from nono2loreze (ntfs support, new bluetooth config)

[B][U]lineageos-13.0-20180106-UNOFFICIAL-mojo-AndroidTV[/U][/B]
    Update to match the configuration updates from nono2loreze
    NTFS support is [B]NOT[/B] yet included 

[B][U]lineageos-13.0-20180101-UNOFFICIAL-mojo-AndroidTV[/U][/B]
    - Upgread to lineageos 13
    - updated gapps to work in combination with 6.0.1 - borrowed from ADT-1 purenexus made by dhacker29
    - synced bluetooth configuration from molly 
    - default media player plays more video formats then the one on cm-12.1

[B][U]cm-12.1-20171229-UNOFFICIAL-mojo-AndroidTV[/U][/B]
    - First release :laugh:
    - Leanback launcher 6.x

Location of the ROM:
    Code:
    File name : lineageos-13.0-20180324-UNOFFICIAL-mojo-AndroidTV.zip
    [URL="https://drive.google.com/open?id=1TzuB1GcIMifW7CKYIhRwLEA90mE9i41A"]https://drive.google.com/open?id=1TzuB1GcIMifW7CKYIhRwLEA90mE9i41A[/URL]

File name : lineageos-13.0-20180311-UNOFFICIAL-mojo-AndroidTV.zip
    [URL="https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Ov-uW_7s1JTk-EBa7yZxge1TFtPYtMf3"]https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Ov-uW_7s1JTk-EBa7yZxge1TFtPYtMf3[/URL]

File name : lineageos-13.0-20180204-UNOFFICIAL-mojo-AndroidTV.zip
    [URL="https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ByPb9bk5rG2Hq6pX8-YMiTuqgCyh9CQG"]https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ByPb9bk5rG2Hq6pX8-YMiTuqgCyh9CQG[/URL]

File name : lineageos-13.0-20180106-UNOFFICIAL-mojo-AndroidTV.zip
    [URL="https://drive.google.com/open?id=13gqJ2wiq4Z458JzW8so4DA77VMVL6oFR"]https://drive.google.com/open?id=13gqJ2wiq4Z458JzW8so4DA77VMVL6oFR[/URL]

File name : lineageos-13.0-20180101-UNOFFICIAL-mojo-AndroidTV.zip
    [URL="https://drive.google.com/open?id=1pZILaAXGwQE_SJWn4QvSod5w1kL-AJnw"]https://drive.google.com/open?id=1pZILaAXGwQE_SJWn4QvSod5w1kL-AJnw[/URL]

File name : cm-12.1-20171229-UNOFFICIAL-mojo-androidTV.zip
    [URL="https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mAWBJ-Unbb5PKTmO9wYeHcFGjuY4xAxd/view?usp=sharing"]https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mAWBJ-Unbb5PKTmO9wYeHcFGjuY4xAxd/view?usp=sharing[/URL]

Next step:
    - fix the stuck at first boot
    - Experiment more with newer gapps
    - Port to lineageos 13
    - port upgreads form github/Tegra4

Enjoy!

XDA:DevDB Information
    Lineageos 13.0 AndroidTV, ROM for the Mad Catz M.O.J.O.

Contributors
    carp_be, nono2lozere, Unjustified Dev
    Source Code: https://github.com/dide0

ROM OS Version: 6.0.x Marshmallow
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.4.x
    Based On: lineageos

Version Information
    Current Beta Version: 6.0.1_r81
    Beta Release Date: 2018-01-06

Created 2017-12-29
    Last Updated 2018-03-26
    Great! :D

I'll test it soon!

I think we are almost done with this ROM for the Mojo...

Nice hope you come to the same conclusion as me :)
    If so i'll create a non-TV variant to - as the it's been a while to

in regards of life-time of this ROM, I still have things to do but this will be mainly in preparation of Nougat (no warranty but this is my next target)
    Frequently asked questions & Tips:

Thanks to minmao:
    Q: Is it possible to add an option to change the display resolution as in the stock from? My TV is a 4k set and Mojo boots into 4k automatically, however, since it only supports 4k at 30 fps, everything seems so slow and games are impossible.
    A: if you choose best framerate in developer options, it gives 1080p60. Now it is perfect. Thanks again!

Q: Are gapps pre-installed in this ROM?
    A: Yes, all basic gapps for androidTV are available

Q: is SU enabled by defaults
    A: No, but if you want to have SU, check the detailed install instructions below for more info

Q : Any detailed install instruction ?
    A : https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=75093267&postcount=41 thanks to King_Dex (please note flashing gapps is not needed atm).

Other tips:

The google assistent can also be enabled by sideloading the following APP:
    [url]https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-inc/google-app-for-android-tv-android-tv/google-app-for-android-tv-android-tv-3-2-0-187674027-release/[/URL]
    Works quite OK, but cannot integrate with Google Home App - so no control from a google home speaker .

The nvidia games (versioin 4.X) can also be sideloaded if people are interested , but don't try the 5.X, this will NOT work.
    [url]https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/nvidia/nvidia-games/nvidia-games-4-17-21865207-release/[/URL]

Cast support : as the official google cast app is not fully functional , this App has been removed in new builds.
    I recommend using :https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ionitech.airscreen as an good alternative
    I'm trying it right now (fresh and clean install, with root add-on flashed)...

- Both Wi-Fi and sound seem to work sometimes, but other times they won't after a reboot... also there seems to be a huge performance slowdown when this happens

- The Play Store sometimes crashes without any reason

- I tried Snes9X EX+ emulator and it works fine, but the Back button directly closes the app and it won't take me to the main screen in order to change the game/settings (the multitasking function doesn't seem to work well)

In general I think that sometimes the ROM doesn't run well at all, and you have to reboot it because it's unusable...

When it boots fine, there is still the Play Store issue...

I haven't had a chance to try YouTube, still...

Heya,

I'm getting out of idea's related to the audio :(
    The wifi is probably related to the use of an SD-card, all rom's have issues with that. I've not faced this as I'm not using an SD-card.

The performance issue - I've only seen this when the play store is recovering default apps or something. A few months back I didn't see this with the play store packages. They are still the same as from a few months back :p. But now Google auto updates them once you are signed in and cause indeed a heavy load.

if you enable in development settings the CPU core display http://blog.scoutapp.com/articles/2009/07/31/understanding-load-averages ) then you'll see if the play store is busy it's requesting between 4-8 CPU cores (we only have 4). This causes some noticeable slowdown but if you let it do it's stuff it will stabilize well below 4 CPU cores.
    In idle I've already reached 0.2 CPU cores, during streaming I'm on average at 1.5 CPU core which is not bad.

Might need to check to include more CPU boost support in the kernel like ADT-1 has

In 2 weeks I can again check for some improvements, now not at home. I'll build a non tv-version to as I'm convinced that it's better then what is available now. Now I'm running on my second MOJO - my latest ROM as daily and I'm quite happy with it :)

PS : I've more or less fixed my first MOJO HDMI connector issue :angel: I'm only using that one for development.
    Hello, I just got a mojo and I would like to install lineage os but the Google drive link is dead... would anyone have the link for me? ( I can't find the archive on github). Thanks a lot