FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Non rooted Huawei Mate 10 Pro = Ad spam [Solved]

105 posts
Thanks Meter: 18

By joppy, Senior Member on 25th January 2018, 05:08 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
So I got a new phone, after years with a LG G3 it finally tanked. Today the replacement came. Huawei Mate 10 Pro.
And what a strange experience it was to fire up the unrooted phone. So much ads. Everywhere. Overwhelming.

I've been on a custom ROM rooted G3 for the past 4 years or so. I forgot about the ads.

The plan was to keep this phone stock, no root. In order to comply with all the crazy folks that try to force us to not use rooted devices. But as many of you have seen too, there are so many services that we use daily that will not work with rooted phones. I've worked around that before and have been happy.

But for now I am not ready to use a custom Rom or to root.

how can I kill ads? Ad guard, DNS66 or maybe block-this?

Maybe I am getting old, have a touch of paranoia or are just not brave anymore. But adding APK from sources I don't know much about feels well not good. There are so many scams and shitware floating around. I would hate to end up with crapware for trying to get some peaceful surf time without ads. Apps are for the most part OK, because I pay for almost all those apps I use, and by paying I support and avoid ads. But even using a browser to read news I get littered in ads. Man ads really take the fun out of internet. I would easily pay good money as yearly fee to avoid ads. IS there anything out there that will work as a paid app?

What does the good people of XDA think is the way to go to kill ads without rooting?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recap:

To help others looking for adblock solution I will try to keep updating this first post with the solutions I find works so others can read just this post 1, or dig deeper by reading the whole lot.

Remove Ads from browsers:
This solution worked well for removing ads from browsers, so I bought it from playstore to show my support. Thx to Pretoriano80 for resolving most of my ad problems.

This solution also takes care of the in-apps ads!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretoriano80

Hi mate, i also hate aggressive ads, so after many trials and errors, i finally found the best (and also free and no Root) solution.
I'm using an app called "Virtual Hosts" which is blocking ADS by creating a local VPN and loading a host file.
The app is open source and you can get the apk for free, downloading it from here - > https://github.com/x-falcon/Virtual-Hosts/releases < - or from Playstore by paying it (both versions are identical).

Once installed, you can downloaded and use the "host" file from here - >
http://adblock.mahakala.is/ <- or use another one of your choice (i got the file from this thread - >
https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho....php?t=1916098 )

Youtube without ads:
A youtube version that is slightly altered to filter out ads. Works on non rooted devices and can be installed alongside the original youtube. Notice the modified MicroG apk on the second quote for using this modified youtube with your google account.

Quote:

Yes, you can try the latest x64 version from here - > https://androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=236411 - > it doesn't need root and can be installed alongside YouTube, as a secondary YouTube.

Quote:

Yeah, in-app ads are also gone.
BTW, if you want to use your Google account with the modified YT app, then you will also need a modified MicroG apk, which is specifically designed for it.

How to root Huawei Mate 10 Pro:
Some of you looking into this thread might wanna have full control over your Mate 10 Pro by rooting. There are various ways but the MAGISK seems really nice, and you can choose which apps shall see root or not. Read more here; https://forum.xda-developers.com/apps/magisk

A short video of Magisk; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFJVoIjKZJw

Quote:

Rooting with Magisk is possible on Mate 10 pro, so you can use banking app or any other app that requires a "stock" device. As long as you pass SafetyNET verification and you hide root from the eyes of those apps, than you can use them with Root.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to joppy For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift joppy Ad-Free

25th January 2018, 09:27 AM |#2  
Flag Kuala Lumpur
Thanks Meter: 283

More
I'm using adguard. To avoid some popup that coming from browser. And in the same time, if the apps have ads and i use the app continuesly, I'll purchased it, as im supporting the developer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180125-172641.jpg
Views:	1716
Size:	129.9 KB
ID:	4399377  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to neilphetamine For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift neilphetamine Ad-Free
25th January 2018, 04:10 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 2,312

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by joppy

So I got a new phone, after years with a LG G3 it finally tanked. Today the replacement came. Huawei Mate 10 Pro.
And what a strange experience it was to fire up the unrooted phone. So much ads. Everywhere. Overwhelming.

I've been on a custom ROM rooted G3 for the past 4 years or so. I forgot about the ads.

The plan was to keep this phone stock, no root. In order to comply with all the crazy folks that try to force us to not use rooted devices. But as many of you have seen too, there are so many services that we use daily that will not work with rooted phones. I've worked around that before and have been happy.

But for now I am not ready to use a custom Rom or to root.

how can I kill ads? Ad guard, DNS66 or maybe block-this?

Maybe I am getting old, have a touch of paranoia or are just not brave anymore. But adding APK from sources I don't know much about feels well not good. There are so many scams and shitware floating around. I would hate to end up with crapware for trying to get some peaceful surf time without ads. Apps are for the most part OK, because I pay for almost all those apps I use, and by paying I support and avoid ads. But even using a browser to read news I get littered in ads. Man ads really take the fun out of internet. I would easily pay good money as yearly fee to avoid ads. IS there anything out there that will work as a paid app?

What does the good people of XDA think is the way to go to kill ads without rooting?

Hi mate, i also hate aggressive ads, so after many trials and errors, i finally found the best (and also free and no Root) solution.
I'm using an app called "Virtual Hosts" which is blocking ADS by creating a local VPN and loading a host file.
The app is open source and you can get the apk for free, downloading it from here - > https://github.com/x-falcon/Virtual-Hosts/releases < - or from Playstore by paying it (both versions are identical).

Once installed, you can downloaded and use the "host" file from here - >
http://adblock.mahakala.is/ <- or use another one of your choice (i got the file from this thread - >
https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho....php?t=1916098 )

P. S : Let me know how it works for you. Here is working perfectly and with almost no battery drain.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Pretoriano80 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Pretoriano80 Ad-Free
25th January 2018, 05:15 PM |#4  
North Potomac
Thanks Meter: 1,045

More
In regards to browsers. I used to use Dolphin browser, which has a good ad blocker, but, ever since Oreo, it crashes when I enable the ad blocker. Anyone have luck using Dolphin? Firefox also has a pretty good ad blocker but I find it slow.
25th January 2018, 05:52 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member

More
A while back I had to send the much beloved Lg G3 to change screen, and the week it took before it was returned I had a loaner phone, a G5. Phone was not rooted so I added a adblock by DNS can't remember the name of it, but that thing ate battery as well as cpu. One could feel phone starting to bog down while surfing. That being said, I didn't put any time and effort into the loaner phone so I didn't try to tweak anything so the sluggish result could be my mistake also.

As soon as I have made a complete backup I will start trying these, and the virtual host one by one and put a small review here in this thread. I just learned that twrp should now also work for unrooted devices. That makes me very happy as it is familiar to use. Got to check out to see if maybe even Titanium now will work for unrooted phones as well. That would be really sweet.

Forgot how much work it is to get a new phone. Nothing is the same, and every brand UI got their own take on small bits and pieces just so we get our heart rate going

If others have other suggestions for anti-ad apps I will make time to try those as well. Thx you all for your input. Much obliged.
26th January 2018, 05:20 AM |#6  
Flag Liverpool
Thanks Meter: 3

More
I'm using adclear. Helps a lot.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to magnums For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift magnums Ad-Free
26th January 2018, 06:59 AM |#7  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

A while back I had to send the much beloved Lg G3 to change screen, and the week it took before it was returned I had a loaner phone, a G5. Phone was not rooted so I added a adblock by DNS can't remember the name of it, but that thing ate battery as well as cpu. One could feel phone starting to bog down while surfing. That being said, I didn't put any time and effort into the loaner phone so I didn't try to tweak anything so the sluggish result could be my mistake also.

As soon as I have made a complete backup I will start trying these, and the virtual host one by one and put a small review here in this thread. I just learned that twrp should now also work for unrooted devices. That makes me very happy as it is familiar to use. Got to check out to see if maybe even Titanium now will work for unrooted phones as well. That would be really sweet.

Forgot how much work it is to get a new phone. Nothing is the same, and every brand UI got their own take on small bits and pieces just so we get our heart rate going

If others have other suggestions for anti-ad apps I will make time to try those as well. Thx you all for your input. Much obliged.

Root was never required for TWRP to work, only unlocked bootloader. Anyway, there's no TWRP available yet for Mate 10 Pro.
Titanium Backup will never work without root cause is the only way it can write on the /data partition.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pretoriano80 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Pretoriano80 Ad-Free
26th January 2018, 10:08 AM |#8  
OP Senior Member

More
Oh ok I thought that no-root-needed was a new feature for twrp. I guess as Titanium will not work with un rooted phones neither will any other apps similar to Titanium?

Is there any apps similar to twrp that will work with Huawei Mate 10 Pro?

No matter what I guess I just have to start testing adblockers this weekend. Because I can't take all the ads I struggle with now. Too bad I didn't start out with the new phone by testing, before I sat up the phone they way it is now, with all apps, settings etc. Cos now if I would like a fresh start after testing various adblockers I will need to do the whole process of installing and tweaking all over again unless I find something like twrp for the Mate Pro 10.

Btw the xda app named my device BLA-L29, is that a name that is widely used for the Mate 10 Pro? Never seen this name before.
26th January 2018, 10:25 AM |#9  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Oh ok I thought that no-root-needed was a new feature for twrp. I guess as Titanium will not work with un rooted phones neither will any other apps similar to Titanium?

Is there any apps similar to twrp that will work with Huawei Mate 10 Pro?

No matter what I guess I just have to start testing adblockers this weekend. Because I can't take all the ads I struggle with now. Too bad I didn't start out with the new phone by testing, before I sat up the phone they way it is now, with all apps, settings etc. Cos now if I would like a fresh start after testing various adblockers I will need to do the whole process of installing and tweaking all over again unless I find something like twrp for the Mate Pro 10.

Btw the xda app named my device BLA-L29, is that a name that is widely used for the Mate 10 Pro? Never seen this name before.

Installing the app i recommended has no risk, you don't need to backup anything. If it works and you like it, then you keep it, if not, just uninstall the app simple as that.
That app is open source, so no bloatware or any hidden stuff, it doesn't use DNS to circumvent ads and doesn't track anything, all it does is pointing Internet traffic to your "host" file, it's nothing like AdGuard and similar apps that also sell your data to third parties.
It only takes 5 minutes to test and decide, without any harm.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pretoriano80 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Pretoriano80 Ad-Free
26th January 2018, 11:21 AM |#10  
OP Senior Member

More
@Pretoriano80 thx a lot. That worked great, so great I had to support by buying the app.

Next step is to make youtube clutter free.
26th January 2018, 11:31 AM |#11  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

@Pretoriano80 thx a lot. That worked great, so great I had to support by buying the app.

Next step is to make youtube clutter free.

No problem, i knew it would work perfectly. Battery drain is also low and it doesn't throttle net performance.
I think that for YouTube the only alternative with no root is to use a modified version (look here on XDA if interested).
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)