Google Pay (NFC) suddenly stopped working

Search This thread

nukumichi75

May 10, 2019
Must be an issue with just Gpay and Emui/M20P just installed latest version and setup on S9+ and there was no issues with payment at the terminal.

May ask what version of Google Play Services you are on? I just ran into the same problems with my BQ Aquaris X, and other brands do seem to be affected too.

With my Play Services being on version 16.0.91 everything was fine, but after updating them to 17.1.22 my device suddenly didn't respond to any store terminal at all. My GPay app is on 2.88. Still need to try if the downgrade makes it work again as reported by others.

EDIT: Downgrading did the trick, GPay v2.88 is working again in stores with Play Services v16.0.91 !

Last edited:

Darkat70

Dec 1, 2010
May ask what version of Google Play Services you are on? I just ran into the same problems with my BQ Aquaris X, and other brands do seem to be affected too.

With my Play Services being on version 16.0.91 everything was fine, but after updating them to 17.1.22 my device suddenly didn't respond to any store terminal at all. My GPay app is on 2.88. Still need to try if the downgrade makes it work again as reported by others.

EDIT: Downgrading did the trick, GPay v2.88 is working again in stores with Play Services v16.0.91 !
I'm using Google Play Services 17.4.53

https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-inc/google-play-services/google-play-services-17-4-53-release/

Last edited:

Darkat70

Dec 1, 2010
My Gpay is working fine without doing anything.

Google Play Store 14.9.52

Google Play Services 17.4.53 Beta

Google Pay 2.88.24

Firmware version 9.0.0.239 C432E11R1P16

nukumichi75

May 10, 2019
My Gpay is working fine without doing anything.

Google Play Store 14.9.52

Google Play Services 17.4.53 Beta

Google Pay 2.88.24

Firmware version 9.0.0.239 C432E11R1P16

Well, that means either you're on the beta channel for Play Services or you installed the beta as an apk, correct? Anyway, good to know that the problem seems to be fixed in the beta already. So anyone having problems should try to either downgrade to 16.0.91, update to 17.4.53 beta or simply wait for the next stable release.

EDIT: Updating to 17.4.53 does NOT seem to work for all devices (I'm on an BQ X with Oreo 8.1) so downgrading ist the safest option for now i guess.

Last edited:

Ludekx

Jul 18, 2011
EDIT: Updating to 17.4.53 does NOT seem to work for all devices (I'm on an BQ X with Oreo 8.1) so downgrading ist the safest option for now i guess.

problem is that play services updating automatically when you are using google pay
it can happen at any time i havent found the way to block this autoupdate

nukumichi75

May 10, 2019
problem is that play services updating automatically when you are using google pay
it can happen at any time i havent found the way to block this autoupdate

So far, the Play Services that I have installed manually via an apk from apkmirror are not getting auto-updated. I have disabled background data access for Play Services and disabled automatic updates in Play Store too. Using Google Pay does not change this.

Ludekx

Jul 18, 2011
So far, the Play Services that I have installed manually via an apk from apkmirror are not getting auto-updated. I have disabled background data access for Play Services and disabled automatic updates in Play Store too. Using Google Pay does not change this.

yes i done this also and it worked for 2 days for me and then i t updated any way :(

Ludekx

Jul 18, 2011
I dont know why but uninstalling rossmann app (drugstore) and restarting phone solving google pay problem on many phones :D
you can try if you have this app

asleksander

Jan 18, 2011
Good news! After today"s Google Pay app update (2.88. 348767160) it's working properly again - at least at my phone (Huawei Mate 20 pro 9.0.0.187) in Poland. Try updating the app from Google Play Store.

Wysłane z mojego LYA-L29 przy użyciu Tapatalka

monsoon78

Jul 23, 2008
Moto G 5G Plus
The problem comes with May update of Google Play Services, version 17.1.22. As soon as I downgraded to April version 16.0.91, the GPay app works flawlessly again.
I contacted Google Support, but I gave up after the questions like if my NFC is enabled or whether my card has not been blocked :) It was waste of time. I even noticed, that May update of Google Play Services is no longer available on the store. It must have been withdrawn as buggy version.

vetrostyle11

May 18, 2019
Problem Solved

- go to settings
- Apps
- Apps
- right upper 3dots - show system processes
- choose "Google Play services"
- (stop or disable) and replace back with factory version (14.x.xx + some questions about device admin)
- Data usage - disable background data
This procedure deletes your cards from google pay too, but you dont need factory reset, only cards re-add...
Thats all...

I confirm this is the solution ona mate 20 pro. Many thx.

nukumichi75

May 10, 2019
find Google Play Services in settings => apps, and under Data Usage turn off "Background data"

adamu, did you already install the new version of the Google Pay app released yesterday? I updated the Play Services app to latest stable version 17.1.22 again because Gmail didnt work with 16.0.91. Btw, 17.1.22 also works with Google Pay app 2.84 :)

---------- Post added at 11:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:57 PM ----------

I confirm this is the solution ona mate 20 pro. Many thx.

Another option (tested on BQ Aquaris X) is to downgrade Google Pay app to version 2.84

adamu8

May 15, 2019
adamu, did you already install the new version of the Google Pay app released yesterday? I updated the Play Services app to latest stable version 17.1.22 again because Gmail didnt work with 16.0.91. Btw, 17.1.22 also works with Google Pay app 2.84 :)

Yes, Google Pay started working again after updating the app to version 2.88.248767160 :)
Thanks everyone!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    - go to settings
    - Apps
    - Apps
    - right upper 3dots - show system processes
    - choose "Google Play services"
    - (stop or disable) and replace back with factory version (14.x.xx + some questions about device admin)
    - Data usage - disable background data
    This procedure deletes your cards from google pay too, but you dont need factory reset, only cards re-add...
    Thats all...
    Thank you it worked for me and solved the issue
    Regards