Photo quality

Search This thread

XDA_RealLifeReview

RealLifeReview Dude
Nov 2, 2015
Say "cheese", then rate this thread to express how photos taken with the come out. A higher rating indicates that photos offer rich color (without over-saturating), sharp detail (with all subjects in-focus), and appropriate exposure (with even lighting).

Then, drop a comment if you have anything to add!

Reactions: tomaszupl

s327374

Feb 11, 2011
Beijing
OPPO Find X5 Pro
I am excited about this

https://www.news.com.au/technology/...e/news-story/29aefcf847fb39e2e37a17c4bb3f9510

Okay - article pumps up the phone... but then LOOK at the PHOTO sample v the iphone...... why is it that bad? I don't want to go near this phone, if this is its output. Who do we trust though? All reviewers saying it is amaaaaazing... Reminds my how I got sucked into my last huawei - Nexus 6P

The hundred or so (seemingly that amount) of youtubers who got the free trip top London and the early release, or the mainstream media? Or what?

That image comparison though - can't get past it

ooMoo

Apr 23, 2012

LOGMD

Jun 22, 2010
London
your photos look lovely - however the photo's ive tried taking so far in my office etc look very poor quality, right now my oneplus3 is better! which firmware are you on? im on 108.. still haven't received tany updates yet:(

I'm on 122 and there were camera improvements as well as new camera features. I've found night mode to be inconsistent but when it works is glorious!

Danmike

Jan 24, 2015
Coming from the p20 pro to this the seflie camera on the mate is terrible looks like we gone back a few years on the front camera almost makes it unusable for me...

Triberch

Jun 29, 2017
Hi all,
I am on my third day of HM20 Pro.
Love it all and the photos sure, great
Have you guys tried to take photos from the messaging apps? Signal, message, whatsapp?
I cannot believe the... Worst quality ever!! Is there any config I am missing?
Just try it.. Send an MMS via the messaging (not taking the photo before, but actually from within the app) and let me know....

About to pack my new phone and return it....

Thanks for your comment!

ooMoo

Apr 23, 2012
i just stuck a Vodafone sim in for a few seconds to get the 122 update - camera is definitely a bit better! not had a chance to test much yet though, but from the few I have taken shots are appearing less grainy now.

roeschu

May 21, 2009
Automaticmode by Fog

Attachments

• IMG_20181106_064649.jpg
    IMG_20181106_064649.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 3,608

tomaszupl

Apr 22, 2011
This phone camera is a complete missery!

I've switched from Samsung Galaxy S7 and completely disappointed. I feel like my S7 did better photos than Mate 20 Pro. Here is a list of issues (aside of Gluegate - which affected my phone).
Front camera:
- overexposes selfies in almost all conditions
- HDR mode is quirky and either doesn't make any difference or renders too flat results
- This silly toast "please hold camera steady whike your photo is sharpening" pops up almost all the time, regardless of light conditions

Rear camera
- HDR mode is just useless
- there is no "auto HDR" settings and switch HDR on is taking too many clicks
- and yet again... toast from hell "please hold camera steady whike your photo is sharpening"... THIS IS RIDICULOUS! Even in super bright conditions, where single lens camera would do perfectly well, Huawei asks me to hold my camera steady for 1 sec? Come on!

I really hope Huawei fixes all of that because it's a complete joke.

Good luck

Reactions: staffik

q8_devil

Aug 25, 2006
From what i read it seems that Mate20pro is same as p20pro release and it will need few months before the software is actually as good as the hardware .
P20pro release was a disaster, photos looked like a cartoon .

Xenychou

Sep 20, 2017
I've switched from Samsung Galaxy S7 and completely disappointed. I feel like my S7 did better photos than Mate 20 Pro. Here is a list of issues (aside of Gluegate - which affected my phone).
Front camera:
- overexposes selfies in almost all conditions
- HDR mode is quirky and either doesn't make any difference or renders too flat results
- This silly toast "please hold camera steady whike your photo is sharpening" pops up almost all the time, regardless of light conditions

Rear camera
- HDR mode is just useless
- there is no "auto HDR" settings and switch HDR on is taking too many clicks
- and yet again... toast from hell "please hold camera steady whike your photo is sharpening"... THIS IS RIDICULOUS! Even in super bright conditions, where single lens camera would do perfectly well, Huawei asks me to hold my camera steady for 1 sec? Come on!

I really hope Huawei fixes all of that because it's a complete joke.

Good luck

Actually, I did some test with rear camera, multiframe stacking is always on in photo mode, so you have your auto HDR on all the time and that's probably why it asks to hold steady. I think it's merging 4 pictures.

The camera app is just too complicated, with different modes that do basically the same things.

It ends up being inconsistent when you leave everything on auto.
Sometimes it will be flat and washed out with no vignetting, other times it will have ton of constrast, oversatured colors and vignetting.

So now I did choose one mode and color parameter that consistently give results I like and stick with it.

jawis

Aug 7, 2005
One big reason for getting the phone was the camera. I had the LG v30+ previously and I loved it for the ultrawide focal length. I'm glad that mate 20pro added this. I'm really enjoying the big sensor also. The dng files look great so far. The LG v30 always had grain/noise in the raw files at no matter what ISO. I'm not seeing the grain being so intrusive with the mate20pro

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    My girl

Mate 20 pro, auto, default photo app, 255 firmware, 1000w warm studio lighting dynaphos
    The Toronto skyline in the distance and Gordon up close.
    Australian Garden Orb Weaver - Super Macro mode in low light
    If you want the most natural looking photos then shoot in Pro mode WITH RAW on, the jpeg that gets produced comes directly from the RAW file and doesnt get the std processing as when shooting in Auto or Pro mode (with RAW off) there is quite a big difference actually.

See difference in the 2 crops, left side is Auto mode, right side is jpeg from pro mode (with RAW on), massive difference, way less processed and way more natural looking, probably the most natural looking IQ from any phone that I've ever seen, except the Nokia 808 Pureview which also had very natural looking IQ.
    Mate 20 pro... PRO MODE