Freebuds/FlyBuds 2 Companion APP

Search This thread

rakesh2002

Dec 6, 2010
Bangalore, India..
Updated to 1.0.0.121

Visually there are no changes. I still belive that we Need atleast 9.0.0.171 Firmware for some feature.
Maybe someone who has 171 on his Mate 20 pro and the Freebuds could confirm or send me some screenshots.
Specially if there are any Buttons for BoneID Settings. HWA Codec Settings are confirmed being there at 171 or higher.

I'm on 171 and my freebuds 2 is on it's way, shipping might take a week or two.

SquirtlePoke

Jan 24, 2006
English Voice Commands for Freebuds 2

Dear all,

May I ask if anyone knows what are all the possible English voice commands to control Huawei freebuds 2?

So far I am only able to use the following:

"next song" - to play the next song

I tried saying "previous song" but it just replay the current song from the start instead of playing the previous song.

Thanks all!

Last edited:

Fafner76

Aug 1, 2009
At least it looks like they improved the firmware update routine in the newer version. I was just prompted to update to .129 and the process went through at the first attempt. It took several times with the previous one to update to .121 from .102.
As for Mate 20 Pro B171 or higher to get new features...I still fear Huawei might leave not chinese models in the dust, the Freebuds 2 app is still officially China-only after all, the globally available Freebuds Companion app has just been updated but there are no signs of the Freebuds 2 being supported there. We'll see, I'd just want HWA, I can leave without the Bone stuff.

Last edited:

MirageBlader

May 9, 2012
Munich
At least it looks like they improved the firmware update routine in the newer version. I was just prompted to update to .129 and the process went through at the first attempt. It took several times with the previous one to update to .121 from .102.

As for Mate 20 Pro B171 or higher to get new features...I still fear Huawei might leave not chinese models in the dust, the Freebuds 2 app is still officially China-only after all, the globally available Freebuds Companion app has just been updated but there are no signs of the Freebuds 2 being supported there. We'll see, I'd just want HWA, I can leave without the Bone stuff.
Oh nice.

Well HWA is confirmed now from a few people to be working in 171.

Sent from my Mate 20 Pro using Tapatalk

Fafner76

Aug 1, 2009
Oh nice.

Well HWA is confirmed now from a few people to be working in 171.

I know, but that 171 is supposed to be the one for chinese models. Europe is supposed to get 18something with a similar changelog, but it has to be seen if FB2/HWA support will be included in that firmware.

MirageBlader

May 9, 2012
Munich
I know, but that 171 is supposed to be the one for chinese models. Europe is supposed to get 18something, but it has to be seen if FB2 support will be included in that firmware.
Because 153 and 171 are both December patch. 183 is Januar Patch.

I understand what you mean, we might never get it but we will see once the update drops.

SquirtlePoke

Jan 24, 2006
Dear all,

May I ask if anyone knows what are all the possible English voice commands to control Huawei freebuds 2?

So far I am only able to use the following:

"next song" - to play the next song

I tried saying "previous song" but it just replay the current song from the start instead of playing the previous song.

Thanks all!

Dear all, anyone knows? Thanks much! ❤️

MirageBlader

May 9, 2012
Munich
Dear all, anyone knows? Thanks much! [emoji3590]
It's does work. If you say previous song, it's like pressing the <- button in the music player. It resets the currently playing song.
You have 3 seconds to press <- again or say previous song to really go back to the previous song.

That's in all music players and has nothing to do with the freebuds.

SquirtlePoke

Jan 24, 2006
It's does work. If you say previous song, it's like pressing the <- button in the music player. It resets the currently playing song.
You have 3 seconds to press <- again or say previous song to really go back to the previous song.

That's in all music players and has nothing to do with the freebuds.

Oh I see!
Thanks!

Other than Next Song and Previous Song, are there other commands? Such as to increase or decrease volume, to pause and then to play the music?

SquirtlePoke

Jan 24, 2006
All of this. Play music, stop music (which is pausing it) and volume up/down. It's really cool when I walk my dogs and don't have any hand free.

Sent from my CMR-AL09 using Tapatalk

Thank you so much dude! You are of a great help!

Same, I usually use the ear phones when I walk my dog! I was trying different phrases randomly for the last few days without any success. Thanks for sharing with me the rest of the voice commands! ?

MirageBlader

May 9, 2012
Munich
But the volume commands are working not always. All other also for calls or Google assistant are working perfectly. The volume commands are 60-70% of all trys.

Your very welcome. I was planning to do it for me anyway and there is no reason for not sharing it.

Later today I will upload a updated translation. Saw some mistakes while updating.

Reactions: SquirtlePoke

tommisjtp

Jan 3, 2019
Super simple, you download it and install it. That's it. It will update this way.

Just install the APK.

Oh ok, it's that simple. Awesome, thanks a lot mate.

---------- Post added at 07:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:05 PM ----------

By the way, does anyone have access to the update information? Does anyone have any clue what does updates include?

I have both versions, the original freebuds and new 2 pro's. Originals app tells you what updates contain.

Reactions: MirageBlader

MirageBlader

May 9, 2012
Munich
Oh ok, it's that simple. Awesome, thanks a lot mate.

---------- Post added at 07:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:05 PM ----------

By the way, does anyone have access to the update information? Does anyone have any clue what does updates include?

I have both versions, the original freebuds and new 2 pro's. Originals app tells you what updates contain.
There is no changelog provided. Not even on the Chinese Huawei AppStore where I get the original app.

Let's just hope the next update for the mate 20 pro will enable some features. I hope Huawei don't lock us out.

Reactions: tommisjtp

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Freebuds 2 Companion APP | FlyBuds Pro Companion APP
    Please use on your own risk!

In advance, forgive me my poor english and report all translation misstakes. I will fix them ASAP. I am not native english speaker but try my best 

For the FlyBuds Pro Companion App, downloads are below at the end of this post. Its a WIP and some translation errors might happen. Use at your own risk.

Changelog
    Initial release​

New release by HUAWEI
    No german Translation yet. Need some more polish and Need to be home for it :)
    Official changelog doesnt exist but the Freebuds 2 App is now 100% like the flybuds app. Seriously, ist basicly same app which just supports Freebuds instead of Flybuds.

Changes on english translation and added german translations for new version​

Supported Languages
    English
    German (WIP) - Only in 1.0.0.106
    Chinese

Official APK from HUAWEI (Chinese)
    UPDATE 12.01.2019
    1.0.0.121​
    Download

Translated APP - Freebuds 2 Companion
    Downloads
    1.0.0.106.1​

Downloads
    1.0.0.121.1​
    Download

Downloads
    Download

Translated APP - FlyBuds Pro Companion App
    Downloads
    Download

Official HUAWEI FlyBuds Pro App
    Downloads
    Download

Screenshots
    Osu7Bca

FGpQPkC

R58Vr1P

Q&A
    Q: Can i use this APP with the Honor Flybuds 2?
    A: No, they have their own APP. Since 13th of january, Freebuds 2 APP got updated to 1.0.0.121 and its basicly a copy of the FlyBuds App. I decided to support both. But keep in mind that i dont own the FlyBuds and cant test everything. If errors happen, please report here with a screenshot :)

Q: The package says it supports HWA Audio codec but i cant enable it.
    A: In case of the Mate 20 Pro, you need to be atleast on Firmware 9.0.0.171 to be able to use HWA.

Q: How do i setup Bone ID Voice Recognition?
    A: Honestly, no idea. It seems we need a newer firmware on our phone to have access to this feature. I will report if i get more informations.

Q: Does voice commands work?
    A: Yes, music and calls can be controlled. Please check the manual on how to do this.

Q: The update of my Freebuds 2 keeps failing.
    A: Keep trying, i needed 6 trys until it worked.

Q: Can i use my phones voice assistant instead oft he build in one?
    A: Yes, once you activate, for example google assistant, the Freebuds 2 app wont show any voice settings anymore and all the settings has to be done inside the google app.

Q: Can i use voice comands to do payments?
    A: As far i know, no. I am still investigating.

Q: I speak, for example spanish, can i make a translation into spanish?
    A: Yes, PN me and i send you the string.xml. You can translate it by using Notepad++ for example and send it back to me. I will update the APP then 

* Updated Mirror to AndroidFileHost *

Best Regards :p
    Battery test result and general product review

So far I am at 1.5 hours since battery test has begun, mostly volume around 60-80% and in that time I paired the device also. No low battery beep yet. [Edit battery beep just occured as I was writing this, so low battery warining at 1 hour 35 mintues precicesly.)

(I am on a Samsung device and don't get wireless earphone status as part of the Android OS for some reason. Also I can confirm still no HWA from phone updates - have realised that this device is too old anyway but if you check the offical HWA website there are some devices that are 'confirmed' HWA and they are only Huawei devices - for any non-Huawei users considering these earphones you will not likely get HWA unless some new phones get this technology in the future)

---------- Post added at 12:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:33 PM ----------

Battery test update:

Right earpod has fully depleated and now powered off at 1 hour and 45 minutes of runtime.
    Left earbud is still going and I will continue to run it to see what the result is.

This is no where near the 2.5 hours of battery life rated in the product description from where I bought it (eBay, but it was clearly copied from a more authorative source.)
    Weridly; I have noticed only the right earbud made the 'low battery' sound. Perhaps my right earbud has some kind of defect resulting in less battery life, as the left one has yet to make any warning sound.
    I am not sure if each earbud makes its own battery warning sound but I am guessing so as the left one remains running for now.

----

Hello,

Final details from me:

Battery life test:
    Right earbud reached 1 hours 45 minutes and than ran out of battery completely
    Left earbud continued to run until 2 hours 10 minutes and then ran out of battery completely

Can confirm that each one makes its own tone for battery warning. Both were equally fully charged so I am not sure why there is disparency between the length each lasts.

My product conclusion for those who are interested:

Huawei FreeBuds 2 Pro features you might not be aware of:

Inbuilt voice control: you can use your voice only to control the music and this does not use the voice assistant (Google, Siri, etc) so for example you can say next song, previous song, play music, stop music. You don't have to use a gesture or anything - you just say it.
    Manual also says you can use: higher the volume, lower the volume; however myself and other users report this is not working.

BoneID: Use your unique voice pattern from inside your ears to unlock your phone and make payments. Neither of these features work outside of China.

The Huawei FreeBuds 2 Pro have some good points:

The sound quality is great. Even without HWA. Good deep bass response (for the design.)
    A note on HWA - it is mostly Huawei devices that are supported. Check here for a list of certified devices and you will notice its only Huawei at this point in time: https://www.hwa-lhdc.org/mobile
    Black colour is nice
    Compaion app is available for non Huawei devices and can update firmware + get an English manual
    Charging case shows the earbud charge via a little LED inside the case that changes colour based on charge (Red, amber, green) which is handy
    No sync issues between the two earbuds they work pretty much flawlessly together

Bad points:

Battery tests show the earbuds are not reaching the advertised 2.5 hours. As you can tell from my previous posts, for me my right one is only making 1 hour 45 minutes.
    This is a big problem for me at this price point. Fake AirPods (i10) are reaching 2 hours without a problem and cost a fraction of the price (around £30.)
    Both buds were charged fully so it makes no sense to me that one died before the other, and this has happened in more than 1 test.

Sound quality is great, but:
    This might because I do not have HWA, but whilst the quality is great, the fake i10 airpods once again get very close to its quality in terms of mids and hi's with only a fraction of the price.
    However bass is definately superior on the FreeBuds 2 Pro.

You will not know this but in order to set the inbuilt voice music control to English, you need to download the companion app. This isn't immedately obvious when you buy the product.

Updating the firmware did nothing immedately obvious to the user. Upgrading may only be to get HWA on the earbuds right now. For Samsung S8 user like me, no HWA.

Another bad point (but is not the fault of the FreeBuds 2 Pro) is that I cannot see the earphone battery. I believe Huawei phone users will be able to see the battery status but something to just consider for other users.
    To note - I can't see battery for i10 or any other wireless earphones either, anyway.

The inbuilt voice control is a good feature but actually causes issues. If you are working in a busy-ish office and people are sitting next/near to you and talking to each other, sometimes the Freebuds 2 Pro will think people are saying 'next song' or 'stop music' resulting in your music or video being skipped or stopped. This actually happens more than I would like and I know it is because of this because it does not happen when no one is next to me talking.

People are reporting wireless charging won't charge to 100% percent. I've not tested it with full attention, but I think mine also has this issues.

One reason I bought these is because I like this style of earphone however my fake airpods (i10) are very intermitend and affected by bluetooth interfearence very easily.
    They often cut out from each other or just experience audio issues, but hey - they were cheap.
    However, whislt the FreeBuds 2 Pro are better, they are not perfect - if I am near my car (which has bluetooth) and switching from car to FreeBud, or if I am near lots of bluetooth devices, I still experience some brief audio stutters. It is a lot better than the i10 fake airpods, however it is not perfect and I am disapointed at this price point considering the offical Apple AirPods probably do not suffer this.

The only reason to buy the PRO model if you are not in China is to get the black earbuds. I got a good price so went for these as I like the black.
    However I believe the extra features (that do not work outside of China) such as inbuilt voice control and BoneID are just causing battery drain yet I cannot even use them.
    My reccomendation to Huawei would be to add in an option for companion app to disable the inbuilt voice control and the BoneID in order to increase battery life.

Ultimate conclusion

I am returning my FreeBud 2 Pro's.

I think for this price point (not far from Apple AirPod) the battery life is not acceptable.
    I love the colour and sound, so it is a shame - but with the skipping/pausing from others talking (see above) and the poor battery life (again see above), along with still some minor audio disconnect/interfearence issues, I think that they are not meeting expectations.

I will instead look forward to Apple's announcement of AirPods 2 later this month/year and hope that they are USB-C (the only reason I did not buy them in the first place.)
    I put money towards Huawei this time as they are getting bigger and more premium but I don't think it was the right choise this time.

I hope this helps any prospective / current users. Thanks all.
    Volume voice commands do not work for me either. I am wondering if we should be saying something else but don't know what it is. Next song and stop music etc works well.

Also the 'voice command' for stop music/next song is actually quite annoying - in the office, if people are talking in close proximity, sometimes it will trigger the function and result in skipping music. It's a cool feature but perhaps not thought out.

Also. How is battery life for you guys? I am only getting about 1.5 hours of playback time at around 60-80% volume

I noticed yesterday only got about 1.5 hours battery when I was using them at home. I am doing a test now to see exactly how much I get, if its less than 2 hours then that is not good.
    Apple AirPod gets about 4-5 hours. Whilst I don't expect this, I expect at least 2-3. My £35 fake ones lasted at least 2 hours.

I might look into my options of returning these - I love the colour and sound, but to be honest they are not living up to my expectations for battery life and also the voice feature can be annoying.
    Anyone knows where we can see changelog? Even if only Chinese would be perfect.

About headphones, stay away from them. Mine sit in a drawer just updating firmware from time to time but pretty much gonna toss them to the trash. Worst buy ever and waste ~150$. One works for an hour, another for 1.5h... So you have top 1h listening to music. A joke. But fine, but could work for short bike trips, but the sound continuesly brakes. They are unable to maintain Bluetooth connection. You get tearing every 5s. I have also top Sony and Bose NC headphones, they never have issues with Bluetooth. The price of those freebuds 2 pro is nice, but if they don't work then sorry what's the point. They are releasing freebuds 3 now, maybe they will be better but I'm not gonna trust again Huawei on them, not at least until they are designed for EU with easy return to amazon:)
    Got my FB 2 today (not pro), updated the pods to 129 (thanks to @MirageBlader) and yes HWA is working! pods fits well and dosn't fall that easily unless you bang your head on a wall :)

Audio quality is excellent, no drops in audio. downloaded a Hi-Res audio sample 24 bit/ 96 KHz to check if HWA supports it, noticed that HWA supports max 24 bit/ 48 KHz audio. This means the digital processing is "GOLD" standard ("PLATINUM" standard is the one that supports 24 bit/ 96 KHz) , may be in future we can expect "PLATINUM" standard buds which means quite close to studio quality audio..

in developer mode I see following options:

a) Bluetooth Audio codec: SBC, AAC and HWA
    b) BT audio sample rate: 44.1 kHz and 48 kHz
    c) BT audio bits per second: 16 and 24 bits per sec
    d) BT audio channel mode: stere (mono is greyed out)
    e) BT audio HWA playback quality:
    optimized for connection quality: 400KB/s
    Balanced audio and conn. quality: 500/560 KB/s
    Optimized for audio quality: 900 KB/s --> I have this on
    f) BT audio HWA latency: low (50-100 ms), mid (150-200 ms) and high(300-400 ms) --> I have low latency on

Bass, mid and highs are excellently tuned. The lowest effective bass frequency is 15 Hz (depends on your ear but for me 15 Hz thump can be felt). No delay between pods

I wished Huawei app could have in-app audio/mic settings like in case of Jabra Elite 65t. To get the best of Audio we can bet on Viper4Android but I have decided not to root my phone for that.

I installed an app called Easy voice recorder pro in which I can set audio source as bluetooth, recording is Mono and format is PCM (0.9 KB/s) and record quality is decent, not crystal clear or crisp, but decent enough. The noise cancellation is pretty much intrusive and noticeable, am yet to check actual call quality, will update later.

I had plans of buying Jabra Evolve 65t but I bought this mainly for HWA High-res audio listening experience. All-to-all I am not disappointed, the case is compact and is light in weight, can be carried in pocket.

I also tried Freebuds 2 on my Ticwatch Pro watch and I was happy with music quality and also no audio drops.

Any other questions feel free to ask..