How to Enable Android Oreo style multitasking cards

Search This thread

sevanig

Sep 5, 2008
Hi Guys,

I've made a video demonstrating how I accidentally enabled the Android Oreo style multitasking cards, pretty cool as I hate the new Android P style.

https://youtu.be/-gra_UFSBGE

the commands is:
adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.huawei.android.launcher

Ensure you have another launcher installed and enabled BEFORE removing the stock launcher.

Also note you will loose the stock gestures if you enable it, only the back command works.
So I had to overscan the screen to remove the Nav bar, as using immersive mode broke the lock screen.

Last edited:

sevanig

Sep 5, 2008
Great! By the way, how can I revert back if I ever want to have the Huawei Launcher back?

Yer the only way to revert back is to reset the phone back to factory settings, unless you side load the APK file for the Huawei EMUI 9.0 Launcher (if you save a copy).

But no love lost for me, IMHO it's a crap launcher and multitasking interface...

senjiroh

Nov 20, 2012
London
Hi Guys,

I've made a video demonstrating how I accidentally enabled the Android Oreo style multitasking cards, pretty cool as I hate the new Android P style.

the commands is:

Ensure you have another launcher installed and enabled BEFORE removing the stock launcher.

Also note you will loose the stock gestures if you enable it, only the back command works.
So I had to overscan the screen to remove the Nav bar, as using immersive mode broke the lock screen.

Interesting!
I also dislike the way multitasking works.
Does doing this remove the gestures option that the Mate 20 Pro has?

sevanig

Sep 5, 2008
Interesting!
I also dislike the way multitasking works.
Does doing this remove the gestures option that the Mate 20 Pro has?

When using the system gesture navigation mode, It breaks the swipe up and swipe up and hold from the bottom of the screen.

And unfortunately even using the edge gesture application to replace those, it won't allow it, it's somehow blocks it.

The back gestures work tho.

You can use the regular nav bar and then a gesture application and then swipe up works, but enabling immersive mode breaks the lock screen (shows up black with a delay to display the lock screen).

So I use and combination of system gesture mode, for the back command and full screen mode, and edge gestures for the rest (from the sides of the screen), however tap and tap and hold do work on the btm of the screen using edge gestures, just not swipe up as described above.

If anyone can get the swipe up to work that would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Reactions: christos0010

gamekill

Dec 1, 2010
Great! By the way, how can I revert back if I ever want to have the Huawei Launcher back?

You don't need to Uninstall important packages that you might want to re-enable later.
It is possible to just disable them, and keep the files available for easy re-enabling!

* FIRST OF ALL:
adb shell

* TO LIST ALL INSTALLED STUFF:
pm list packages | sort

* TO DISABLE A PACKAGE (for example the Huawei launcher):
pm disable-user --user 0 <Package Name>

* TO UNDO (re-enable):
pm enable --user 0 <Package Name>

azcv

Feb 14, 2011
Sofia
I like the new P multitasking. The old stack multitasking was nightmare. You were able only to switch to the previuos apps since all others were hidden behind. The EMUI 9 implementation is similar to the EMUI 4.1. The only thing that I miss from 4.1 is the long press action on the recent app. In the EMUI 9 task switcher you need to long press the icon which is too small.
The EMUI 4.1 task switcher is maybe the best Android stock switcher.

Изпратено от моят LYA-L29 с помощта на Tapatalk

duanpv

May 22, 2012
Samsung Galaxy S20 FE
You don't need to Uninstall important packages that you might want to re-enable later.
It is possible to just disable them, and keep the files available for easy re-enabling!

* FIRST OF ALL:
adb shell

pm list packages | sort

* TO UNDO (re-enable):
This is the best answer. My phone's lag just gone.
You should start a new thread to tell others. Even XDA homepage shows uninstalling option.

demon2112

Jul 30, 2009
ijmuiden
can someone who has uninstalled the launcher do a quick check for me?

please install the newest pixe launcher or 1 of the newest pie launchers and set the navbar to the keys (no gestures), give the new launcher all permissens that it wants and reboot.

i would like to know if the new nav gestures and recents overview will kick in and work

webpatrick

May 10, 2006
which launcher do you mean, do you have link? I had installed the Google Pixel Launcher, but it cannot be set as default launcher, cause it crashes.

Last edited:

Fidelator

Jul 25, 2011
I wish we could do this without breaking the gestures, I love them as they are more intuitive and donde waste any space like the nav bar did,

I wish Huawei copied Xiaomi's MIUI recents UI for EMUI 10, Xiaomi's implementation is the very best one out there, better than stock, even better than the old LP-Oreo recents

flyl0

Account currently disabled
Dec 8, 2018
Cannes
OnePlus 7 Pro
Sony Xperia 5 II
I wish we could do this without breaking the gestures, I love them as they are more intuitive and donde waste any space like the nav bar did,

I wish Huawei copied Xiaomi's MIUI recents UI for EMUI 10, Xiaomi's implementation is the very best one out there, better than stock, even better than the old LP-Oreo recents

Download the app fluid N.G on the store

Sent from my HUAWEI LYA-L29 using XDA Labs

Fidelator

Jul 25, 2011
It looks nice, however, my experience so far with these third party apps is that they end up turning into battery and RAM hogging bottlenecks, I don't know if it is the case with his one.

sevanig

Sep 5, 2008
Just FYI

You can reinstall the launcher with this command, as the apk is actually still in the phones memory...

adb shell cmd package install-existing com.huawei.android.launcher

Also you can block background usage of the Home launcher if you're using an alternative one with this command;

adb shell cmd appops set com.huawei.android.launcher RUN_IN_BACKGROUND ignore

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

* FIRST OF ALL:
    adb shell

pm list packages | sort

* TO UNDO (re-enable):
    Hi Guys,

the commands is:

You can grab a backup first with this command
    Code:
    adb pull /system/app/HwLauncher6/HwLauncher6.apk

I haven't tried to reinstall but it should just be an adb push instead.

* FIRST OF ALL:
    adb shell

pm list packages | sort

* TO UNDO (re-enable):
    This is the best answer. My phone's lag just gone.
    You should start a new thread to tell others. Even XDA homepage shows uninstalling option.