FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Guide] Mate 20 X root is here

5,201 posts
Thanks Meter: 13,847

Post Reply Email Thread
Thanks to @topjohnwu, magisk canary builds officially support emui 9, albeit with some caveats.

Note:
This root requires replacing stock recovery with patched magisk init, which will then boot system with magisk support. This means that currently, TWRP or stock recovery and magisk can't exist simultaneously. Also, in order to boot with root, you will NEED to hold down VOLUME UP as the phone is rebooting or booting until the "device is booting" text is displayed. This tells the phone to boot into recovery, which is taken over by magisk init and booted into system with root. Failure to do this will result in the phone booting WITHOUT root or magisk.

I've gone ahead and patched the recovery_ramdisk for EVR-AL00 and EVR-L29.

What is needed:
ADB/fastboot
A computer
A bit of know-how

Step 1: You MUST be bootloader unlocked
-Start by downloading the relevant recovery ramdisk for your variant the AND magisk manager below
Step 2:
-Install the magisk manager
Step 3:
-Copy the recovery ramdisk to a folder with fastboot. Those with environment set up for adb/fastboot can ignore this step.
Step 4:
-Reboot your device to the bootloader. This is accomplished easiest with the adb reboot bootloader command. If you would like to gracefully put the device in bootloader mode, simply power off the device, remove all USB cables from it, but make sure one is plugged into your PC. Once the device is fully powered off, hold down the volume-DOWN key and then press and hold the power button and IMMEDIATELY plug the USB-C cable into the phone.
Step 5:
-Once the device is in bootloader and connected to the PC, run the command "fastboot flash recovery_ramdisk recovery_ramdiskMagiskVARIANT" with VARIANT being whatever ramdisk you downloaded. For example with AL00 you would input "fastboot flash recovery_ramdisk recovery_ramdiskMagiskAL00.img"
Step 6:
-Run the command "fastboot reboot" and immediately disconnect the USB-C cable from the phone. At this point you will want to hold down VOLUME-UP until the "device is booting" message is displayed.
Step 7:
-Once the system is booted, open magisk manager and profit.

Download:
Patched Recovery Ramdisk for EVR-AL00
Patched Recovery Ramdisk for EVR-L29

Stock Recovery Ramdisk for EVR-AL00
Stock Recovery Ramdisk for EVR-L29
Attached Files
File Type: apk MagiskManager.apk - [Click for QR Code] (5.91 MB, 1082 views)
The Following 36 Users Say Thank You to freeza For This Useful Post: [ View ]

26th December 2018, 10:51 PM |#2  
Flag Hamilton,Ont
Thanks Meter: 1,569

Donate to Me
More
All Mate 20 X users can now rejoice with root! Working perfectly here on AL00 20 X. Thank you @freeza
The Following User Says Thank You to turilo For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift turilo Ad-Free
27th December 2018, 12:23 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 53

More
Thank you freeza!

I saw you didn't have a link to the patched L29 so I patched mine and everything is perfect.
If anybody wants to use it or if you want to link it on the OT, it's fine.

Patched Recovery Ramdisk EVR-L29
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lightning413 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift lightning413 Ad-Free
27th December 2018, 06:43 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Thanks bro @freeza

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
The Following User Says Thank You to rawaf For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift rawaf Ad-Free
27th December 2018, 06:52 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
@freeza is the man!
The Following User Says Thank You to y0zer187 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift y0zer187 Ad-Free
27th December 2018, 07:54 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 218

More
Those who have rooted their phones. Can you guys still use Mobile Banking apps with no problem as well as finger print scanner?
The Following User Says Thank You to flatronics For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift flatronics Ad-Free
27th December 2018, 07:55 AM |#7  
Flag torino
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Thank you freeza!
all this img version 166 ?
The Following User Says Thank You to cluc For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift cluc Ad-Free
27th December 2018, 08:08 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 230

More
I just smashed the hell out of your thanks meter! Thanks!

Do module's install correctly from the magisk manager app?
27th December 2018, 08:23 AM |#9  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Burleson TX
Thanks Meter: 8,334

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawtq

I just smashed the hell out of your thanks meter! Thanks!

Do module's install correctly from the magisk manager app?

Yes they do.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to antiochasylum For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift antiochasylum Ad-Free
27th December 2018, 08:31 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 230

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by antiochasylum

Yes they do.

Omg. Thanks, that'll do!

So all we're missing is twrp. Bravo
27th December 2018, 09:24 AM |#11  
Flag Roanoke
Thanks Meter: 50

More
Thanks man... Working good here! I did notice that EMUI update wants to fix some files. It says unauthorized files to some apps have been changed. Is it ok to let system EMUI update again?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)