FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Screen Protectors

120 posts
Thanks Meter: 1

By radzi, Senior Member on 3rd December 2019, 01:58 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Is anyone using any kind of screen protector that can recommend? I'm looking for a glass screen protector.
Maybe we can share our experiences here, so we can find those that work better for our phones.
4th December 2019, 12:39 PM |#2  
Flag Dublin
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by radzi

Is anyone using any kind of screen protector that can recommend? I'm looking for a glass screen protector.
Maybe we can share our experiences here, so we can find those that work better for our phones.

I don't think glass screen protectors would fit well on the curved screen phones and Mate 30 Pro has the most curved display. Instead of glass you can go with normal screen protectors they fit precisely for my S10 I have been using the gadgetshieldz clear protector which even works with in display fingerprint sensor. Here is a link if you into normal screen protectors https://www.gadgetshieldz.com/huawei...protector.html
31st December 2019, 12:51 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
Quote:

I was sold a glass screen protector when I bought my Mate 30 Pro 5G/512GB (from a Huawei store in Beijing), and it was a 3rd party one (ie not Huawei branded) specifically for the Mate 30 and wrapped all the way around the edge. It has a wide 'notch' on the top in the same shape/size as the notch on the screen. As you might expect, it stands up slightly from the screen, but I quite like that because it makes it easier to grip.
That screen protector already did its job - my phone fell off my phone stand that I put my phone on when I am working, and it cracked very slightly on the edge. The crack grew over a few days and eventually became very noticeable, so I replaced the screen protector.

I bought the replacement online (well, my wife did)- I think from Jd or some other Chinese online store. It was also specifically for the Mate 30 Pro and wraps all the way around. However, it is slightly different in that the notch doesn't match the notch on the screen - it covers all but one of the sensors/lenses in the screen's notch, and so it looks more like a single 'tear drop' notch in shape. This made me think this screen wasn't designed for the Mate 30 Pro, but the seller assured us it is only for the Mate 30 Pro, and, indeed, when we fitted it, it does fit and work perfectly. Also, there are two in the box, for when you break it again - mine first one is already 'scuffed' on the side

I don't have the box for the first one I had which I bought from the Huawei store, but I have the box for the second one. Photos below, in case it helps anyone find one online.

The one I bought at the Huawei store was 199RMB, while the replacement(s) were 70RMB for two. I suppose the Huawei one might be better somehow, but I can't tell, so don't buy from a Huawei store

I see there are many available on Amazon, some even cheaper than in China:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=huawei+...f=nb_sb_noss_1

I should also mention that I have the screen protector fitted in addition to the phone protector that comes with the phone, and the fit well together.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191231_112213.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	212.2 KB
ID:	4914973   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191231_112509.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	256.7 KB
ID:	4914975   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191231_112517.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	252.1 KB
ID:	4914977  
The Following User Says Thank You to davidmaxwaterman For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift davidmaxwaterman Ad-Free
31st December 2019, 12:53 PM |#4  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekhunt

I don't think glass screen protectors would fit well on the curved screen phones and Mate 30 Pro has the most curved display. Instead of glass you can go with normal screen protectors they fit precisely for my S10 I have been using the gadgetshieldz clear protector which even works with in display fingerprint sensor. Here is a link if you into normal screen protectors https://www.gadgetshieldz.com/huawei...protector.html

IMO, they do fit very nicely on the curved screen.
7th January 2020, 11:10 AM |#5  

More
Quote:

I have found my second screen protector has developed a crack, again on the top right. I guess it's small enough to last a while yet, before it needs to be replaced, but it is clear to me these things are 'consumable'. In this case I don't remember what event might have caused it.
I wonder if the extra curve around the edge causes the protector to be especially vulnerable, compared to other screens. It's the first one I have had.

One other thing, iinm this phone uses a 'speaker' built into the display - so the screen essentially vibrates. I wonder if it is only used when making a phone call, but the screen protector surely obscures the sound from this 'speaker'. I can't say I've noticed any problem, but I don't receive a lot of calls, and tend to use the speaker phone so I don't have to put it up to my ear.

What do you think?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
glass protector, screen protector

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)