Top Apps That Require Google Services, and a Workaround for Huawei Phones

Search This thread

XDARoni

XDA Community Manager
It’s no secret that Huawei’s latest flagship phones does not support Google Apps. At launch, there was a way to sideload the GMS and Google Play Services, but that was quickly taken down. That leaves us in a weird place. We have this flagship Android phone but a limited app store, the Huawei AppGallery, and no Google apps or services.

We wouldn’t really know this we use require GMS to download or to use. That doesn’t mean there aren’t work-arounds for Google’s own services or some other apps. Below are some of the 10 most popular apps and services and how we managed to get them working on the Huawei Mate 30 Pro without GMS or Google services installed.

Watch the Video Here

APK Pure
Since we don’t have Google apps, that means no Google Play Store. Going around and searching for each new app update and apk as they are released is annoying to say the least. APK Pure is an app store that essentially replaces the Google Play Store. It’s a better service to use than downloading APKs directly because it supports installing split APKs. This means apps like Spotify can be installed through APK Pure even if you can’t sideload the APK normally. It will even handle installing updates!

To install APK Pure, all you need to do is sideload the APK Pure app. Once installed, you can search for and install any apps you please. It makes for a very good replacement to the Google Play Store.

You can install APK Pure pretty easily

1. Download the APK linked below
  2. Install it.
  3. Enjoy your new App Store.
APK Pure

Telegram
Telegram is one of the apps that doesn’t require GMS at all. You can sideload it and use it normally. The only downside of not having GMS installed is the lack of location services. Many apps, including Telegram, require GMS for finding and sharing your location in an app. Telegram, being one of those apps, won’t have access to your location without GMS. This isn’t a huge deal as every other feature works perfectly. To install this app, you can install it through APK Pure or download it through APK Mirror and install the APK yourself.

Installing Telegram is actually really simple.

1. Open APK Pure
  2. Search for “Telegram”
  3. Select Telegram and hit “Install”
  4. Enjoy your honestly amazing messaging client

Telegram on APK Pure

Gmail
Gmail is a bit of a special case. For Gmail, there is no app that will work. Other email apps like Outlook work, but Gmail doesn’t. That doesn’t stop the web version from working. You can easily just go to the Gmail website and have full access to Gmail and your email. It isn’t as great as the app, but in a situation like this, it’s the best you can get and it’s good enough for the basics.

Gmail Website

Skype is one of the older and most loved chat platforms. I’ve had it for years and it’s easy to use and honestly just great. Luckily, not having Google isn’t going to stop you from being able to speak to your friends and family on Skype. Everything in the app works perfectly fine without the need for GMS.

To install Skype, it’s simple, just use APK Pure.

1. Open APK Pure
  2. Search for “Skype”
  3. Select Skype and click “Install”
  4. Enjoy Skyping your friends and family

WhatsApp
WhatsApp is probably one of the most popular chatting apps worldwide. There are over 1 billion people on WhatsApp. WhatsApp can’t just leave you in the dark if you don’t have Google services, so they don’t require it. That’s right, you can use WhatsApp on the Huawei Mate 30 Pro without it. It works perfectly with no features missing.

Installing is as easy as pie as well.

1. Open APK Pure
  2. Search for “WhatsApp”
  3. Select WhatsApp and install it
  4. Enjoy messaging your friends “What’s up” on WhatsApp

Facebook
Last but not least, Facebook. Facebook doesn’t require Google Services what-so-ever. You can just sign into your account and it will work perfectly. This is because Facebook designs their apps to work on any device, no matter the services installed. All you need to do is sideload the apps and it will work perfectly.

Installing Facebook is also super easy to install

1. Open APK Pure
  2. Search for “Facebook”
  3. Select Facebook and click “install”
  4. Facebook is now installed and works, sign in and catch up with your friends.

Facebook on APK Pure

Twitter
Twitter, like Instagram, doesn’t require any PWAs or require GMS. All you need to do is side load the app and it works! Just like Telegram, it won’t be able to find your location. This generally isn’t an issue though, you can just type in a location to find it. Installing this is just as simple as the others, all you need to do is sideload the APK and it will work.

You can easily install Twitter with a few clicks

1. Go to APK Pure
  2. Search for “Twitter”
  3. Select Twitter and click “install”
  4. Enjoy tweeting!

Twitter on APK Pure

Instagram
Instagram is one of the most popular social media apps I’ve ever used. Luckily, it works perfectly without GMS. Unlike Telegram, every feature in the app works. All you need to do is side load the app. You can install this through APK Mirror or APK Pure.

Installing Instagram is something you can do in a snap

1. Go to APK Pure
  2. Search for “Instagram”
  3. Select Instagram
  4. Click Install
  5. Take and post all the selfies your heart desires

Instagram on APK Pure

LinkedIn
LinkedIn actually works really well without GMS. Everything about the app works so you can check in on your contacts really easily. The only thing that won’t work is signing in with Google, but that’s not a huge deal since you can just sign in using your email. Everything else about the app works.

Installing LinkedIn is just like installing most other apps.

1. Go to APK Pure
  2. Search for “LinkedIn”
  3. Select LinkedIn and click “Install”
  4. Enjoy connecting with your connections

LinkedIn on APK Pure

Spotify
Spotify is one of the great apps that doesn’t require GMS what-so-ever. All you will need to do is install the APK through APK Pure. Spotify does use split APKs which means you won’t be able to sideload just once APK like many other apps. Once installed, it will function normally. You can sign in using Facebook or your Spotify account, everything works.

To install Spotify, it’s really simple.

1. Open the APK Pure app store
  2. Search for “Spotify”
  3. Select Spotify and click “Install”
  4. Follow the prompts to install Spotify
  5. Enjoy your music!

Spotify on APK Pure

YouTube
YouTube is by far the largest video media site on the internet. It has almost every video you would ever want to watch. It has so much and can entertain you for hours on end. Sadly, YouTube requires GMS as it is a Google app. Luckily, there are alternatives.

The first alternative is just using the YouTube website. You can go to YouTube.com on the Huawei Browser and have full access to your account. It will also allow you to sign into your account and view all your recommended videos.

The next way to get it working is using YouTube Vanced and MicroG. Luckily, neither of these apps require root. Installing is pretty simple as well.

1. Download the MicroG and YouTube Vanced APKs
  2. Install both MicroG and YouTube Vanced
  3. You can now sign into your Google account and view all your recommended videos and subscriptions

YouTube Vanced and MicroG APKs

Google Photos
Google Photos is the absolute best service Google has ever released. It allows you to store all your photos in a high quality formats. This is an amazing service, but sadly, it will crash without GMS installed. That means you won’t be able to use the Google Photos app. Instead, you can use the website. The Google Photos website allows you to view every picture you’ve taken and synced with Google Photos along with allowing you to upload photos to Google Photos.

Alternatively, you can use the Huawei Gallery app. The Huawei Gallery app allows you to sync data with Google as well. Using stock apps on your phone is always better than alternatives, so syncing with Huawei Gallery with Google data could really be your best bet.

If you aren’t into Huawei’s Gallery and want to use Google Photos, you can use the Google Photos website. It is really simple, all you need to do is sign into the mobile website through the Huawei Browser app. It has a great and easy to use UI along with the ability to upload photos.

Google Photos Website

Google Maps
Believe it or not, Google Maps is one of the few Google apps that actually works on EMUI 10 without Google apps. The full app doesn’t work, but the main and most important ones do. You are able to search for locations and navigate to the location. You can’t sign into your account or use previous locations through location history, but the main, and most important, parts of the app works.

To install Google Maps, its actually really simple.

2. Search for “Google Maps”
  3. Select Google Maps and click “Install”
  4. Enjoy Google Maps!

Google Maps on APK Mirror || Google Maps on APK Pure

Look, Google services are a huge part of Android, but that doesn’t mean you need them. It’s not going to be a perfect experience using a Huawei Mate 30 Pro without Google apps, but it works and most important services you might be interested in running on the phone should work well. There will be an outlier here and there, but most of the time it will be fine.

I bought my Mate 30 Pro, the Chinese LIO-AL00 variant, before the Google app ban and I was disappointed to see it was. As I used the phone without Google apps, I realized that they are less and less necessary if you are willing to work around it. The hardware and cameras are just so good, it’s worth the trade-off of ease of use for that amazing hardware and camera.

Original Article

cfds

Nov 2, 2006
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
I agree, I did sideloaded GMS on my Mate 30 pro but looking into more detail I realize that 95% of the apps I use can be obtained using different app stores eliminating the need of google spy services. I believe its just a matter of time and there will be enough alternatives outside of GMS.
I find it funny that Huawei got blocked from using google but sideloading GMS is still possible. Ok, the initial link got taken down but in essence the same procedure remains and once you have GMS installed on your phone it all works normal. Updates, buying apps trough play store and even most banking apps work. It would be perfect possible for google to block our phones if they really wanted. If my phone provider can see which phone I am using without me telling them I am sure google can see this also. Its just not in their interest of really blocking our phones, maybe there are not enough of us around for them to justify taking action but then again it would be just a matter of programming software. I will root my Galaxy Note 9 to remove or "freeze" most of the google crap I don't really use but honestly I like the fact that there are android devices out there without google. If not for the (build in) stylus I would not have bought the Note 9.

sheehancein

Jan 28, 2020
Paid Apps?

scein20@gmail.com
But what about the paid Google apps (like premium version of AccuBattery) or game-add ons?
I think they might not work because of no GMS:crying:
And about WhatsApp... Even live location works right?

cfds

Nov 2, 2006
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
scein20@gmail.com
But what about the paid Google apps (like premium version of AccuBattery) or game-add ons?
I think they might not work because of no GMS:crying:
And about WhatsApp... Even live location works right?

As Already confirmed in other topics by myself and others, paid google apps are working. Bought several apps on google play store on the Mate 30pro, payment passed no problem and apps all working. What I cannot confirm as I don't use this is google pay in stores, that has been confirmed not to be working.
Wattsapp live locations...explain as I don't know what you mean.

sheehancein

Jan 28, 2020
Whatsapp Live location

As Already confirmed in other topics by myself and others, paid google apps are working. Bought several apps on google play store on the Mate 30pro, payment passed no problem and apps all working. What I cannot confirm as I don't use this is google pay in stores, that has been confirmed not to be working.
Wattsapp live locations...explain as I don't know what you mean.

For all of these apps (esp the paid ones) to work, I must install the GMS workaround by LzPlay first right?
What I meant by WhatsApp live location is the location sharing feature that you can use for 15 minutes/1 hour/8 hours, to share your current location to other users...

Since it seems to use Google Maps, I worry that WhatsApp works except for that one feature...:crying:

cfds

Nov 2, 2006
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
For all of these apps (esp the paid ones) to work, I must install the GMS workaround by LzPlay first right?
What I meant by WhatsApp live location is the location sharing feature that you can use for 15 minutes/1 hour/8 hours, to share your current location to other users...

Since it seems to use Google Maps, I worry that WhatsApp works except for that one feature...:crying:

I did not try the paid google apps without GMS on my phone but it seems logic that they would not work without having GMS on it. You could install the APK file but most likely that would be than an unpaid/trail version from the app containing in app purchase and adds.
If wattsapp live is coupled to google maps than you need GMS on your phone for it to work.

cmarison

Sep 4, 2010
But notifications work for you? After I used this same method, though I don't get the Google store constant popups, I don't get any notifications for anything whatsoever anymore...

Chenski

Feb 10, 2020
I managed to get all the GMS services working properly but google ar core still does not work

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It’s no secret that Huawei’s latest flagship phones does not support Google Apps. At launch, there was a way to sideload the GMS and Google Play Services, but that was quickly taken down. That leaves us in a weird place. We have this flagship Android phone but a limited app store, the Huawei AppGallery, and no Google apps or services.

We wouldn’t really know this we use require GMS to download or to use. That doesn’t mean there aren’t work-arounds for Google’s own services or some other apps. Below are some of the 10 most popular apps and services and how we managed to get them working on the Huawei Mate 30 Pro without GMS or Google services installed.

Watch the Video Here

APK Pure
    Since we don’t have Google apps, that means no Google Play Store. Going around and searching for each new app update and apk as they are released is annoying to say the least. APK Pure is an app store that essentially replaces the Google Play Store. It’s a better service to use than downloading APKs directly because it supports installing split APKs. This means apps like Spotify can be installed through APK Pure even if you can’t sideload the APK normally. It will even handle installing updates!

To install APK Pure, all you need to do is sideload the APK Pure app. Once installed, you can search for and install any apps you please. It makes for a very good replacement to the Google Play Store.

You can install APK Pure pretty easily

1. Download the APK linked below
    2. Install it.
    3. Enjoy your new App Store.
    APK Pure

Telegram
    Telegram is one of the apps that doesn’t require GMS at all. You can sideload it and use it normally. The only downside of not having GMS installed is the lack of location services. Many apps, including Telegram, require GMS for finding and sharing your location in an app. Telegram, being one of those apps, won’t have access to your location without GMS. This isn’t a huge deal as every other feature works perfectly. To install this app, you can install it through APK Pure or download it through APK Mirror and install the APK yourself.

Installing Telegram is actually really simple.

1. Open APK Pure
    2. Search for “Telegram”
    3. Select Telegram and hit “Install”
    4. Enjoy your honestly amazing messaging client

Telegram on APK Pure

Gmail
    Gmail is a bit of a special case. For Gmail, there is no app that will work. Other email apps like Outlook work, but Gmail doesn’t. That doesn’t stop the web version from working. You can easily just go to the Gmail website and have full access to Gmail and your email. It isn’t as great as the app, but in a situation like this, it’s the best you can get and it’s good enough for the basics.

Gmail Website

Skype is one of the older and most loved chat platforms. I’ve had it for years and it’s easy to use and honestly just great. Luckily, not having Google isn’t going to stop you from being able to speak to your friends and family on Skype. Everything in the app works perfectly fine without the need for GMS.

To install Skype, it’s simple, just use APK Pure.

1. Open APK Pure
    2. Search for “Skype”
    3. Select Skype and click “Install”
    4. Enjoy Skyping your friends and family

WhatsApp
    WhatsApp is probably one of the most popular chatting apps worldwide. There are over 1 billion people on WhatsApp. WhatsApp can’t just leave you in the dark if you don’t have Google services, so they don’t require it. That’s right, you can use WhatsApp on the Huawei Mate 30 Pro without it. It works perfectly with no features missing.

Installing is as easy as pie as well.

1. Open APK Pure
    2. Search for “WhatsApp”
    3. Select WhatsApp and install it
    4. Enjoy messaging your friends “What’s up” on WhatsApp

Facebook
    Last but not least, Facebook. Facebook doesn’t require Google Services what-so-ever. You can just sign into your account and it will work perfectly. This is because Facebook designs their apps to work on any device, no matter the services installed. All you need to do is sideload the apps and it will work perfectly.

Installing Facebook is also super easy to install

1. Open APK Pure
    2. Search for “Facebook”
    3. Select Facebook and click “install”
    4. Facebook is now installed and works, sign in and catch up with your friends.

Facebook on APK Pure

Twitter
    Twitter, like Instagram, doesn’t require any PWAs or require GMS. All you need to do is side load the app and it works! Just like Telegram, it won’t be able to find your location. This generally isn’t an issue though, you can just type in a location to find it. Installing this is just as simple as the others, all you need to do is sideload the APK and it will work.

You can easily install Twitter with a few clicks

1. Go to APK Pure
    2. Search for “Twitter”
    3. Select Twitter and click “install”
    4. Enjoy tweeting!

Twitter on APK Pure

Instagram
    Instagram is one of the most popular social media apps I’ve ever used. Luckily, it works perfectly without GMS. Unlike Telegram, every feature in the app works. All you need to do is side load the app. You can install this through APK Mirror or APK Pure.

Installing Instagram is something you can do in a snap

1. Go to APK Pure
    2. Search for “Instagram”
    3. Select Instagram
    4. Click Install
    5. Take and post all the selfies your heart desires

Instagram on APK Pure

LinkedIn
    LinkedIn actually works really well without GMS. Everything about the app works so you can check in on your contacts really easily. The only thing that won’t work is signing in with Google, but that’s not a huge deal since you can just sign in using your email. Everything else about the app works.

Installing LinkedIn is just like installing most other apps.

1. Go to APK Pure
    2. Search for “LinkedIn”
    3. Select LinkedIn and click “Install”
    4. Enjoy connecting with your connections

LinkedIn on APK Pure

Spotify
    Spotify is one of the great apps that doesn’t require GMS what-so-ever. All you will need to do is install the APK through APK Pure. Spotify does use split APKs which means you won’t be able to sideload just once APK like many other apps. Once installed, it will function normally. You can sign in using Facebook or your Spotify account, everything works.

To install Spotify, it’s really simple.

2. Search for “Spotify”
    3. Select Spotify and click “Install”
    4. Follow the prompts to install Spotify
    5. Enjoy your music!

Spotify on APK Pure

YouTube
    YouTube is by far the largest video media site on the internet. It has almost every video you would ever want to watch. It has so much and can entertain you for hours on end. Sadly, YouTube requires GMS as it is a Google app. Luckily, there are alternatives.

The first alternative is just using the YouTube website. You can go to YouTube.com on the Huawei Browser and have full access to your account. It will also allow you to sign into your account and view all your recommended videos.

The next way to get it working is using YouTube Vanced and MicroG. Luckily, neither of these apps require root. Installing is pretty simple as well.

1. Download the MicroG and YouTube Vanced APKs
    2. Install both MicroG and YouTube Vanced
    3. You can now sign into your Google account and view all your recommended videos and subscriptions

YouTube Vanced and MicroG APKs

Google Photos
    Google Photos is the absolute best service Google has ever released. It allows you to store all your photos in a high quality formats. This is an amazing service, but sadly, it will crash without GMS installed. That means you won’t be able to use the Google Photos app. Instead, you can use the website. The Google Photos website allows you to view every picture you’ve taken and synced with Google Photos along with allowing you to upload photos to Google Photos.

Alternatively, you can use the Huawei Gallery app. The Huawei Gallery app allows you to sync data with Google as well. Using stock apps on your phone is always better than alternatives, so syncing with Huawei Gallery with Google data could really be your best bet.

If you aren’t into Huawei’s Gallery and want to use Google Photos, you can use the Google Photos website. It is really simple, all you need to do is sign into the mobile website through the Huawei Browser app. It has a great and easy to use UI along with the ability to upload photos.

Google Photos Website

Google Maps
    Believe it or not, Google Maps is one of the few Google apps that actually works on EMUI 10 without Google apps. The full app doesn’t work, but the main and most important ones do. You are able to search for locations and navigate to the location. You can’t sign into your account or use previous locations through location history, but the main, and most important, parts of the app works.

To install Google Maps, its actually really simple.

2. Search for “Google Maps”
    3. Select Google Maps and click “Install”
    4. Enjoy Google Maps!

Google Maps on APK Mirror || Google Maps on APK Pure

Look, Google services are a huge part of Android, but that doesn’t mean you need them. It’s not going to be a perfect experience using a Huawei Mate 30 Pro without Google apps, but it works and most important services you might be interested in running on the phone should work well. There will be an outlier here and there, but most of the time it will be fine.

I bought my Mate 30 Pro, the Chinese LIO-AL00 variant, before the Google app ban and I was disappointed to see it was. As I used the phone without Google apps, I realized that they are less and less necessary if you are willing to work around it. The hardware and cameras are just so good, it’s worth the trade-off of ease of use for that amazing hardware and camera.

Original Article