This has been tested and working great on MHA-L29 international dual sim model. It will work probably on all mate 9 devices, however I added a list of supported devices below which can be checked.
WARNING #1: Unlocking BL and flashing a custom recovery voids your warranty. Please make sure to contact your carrier/seller if your phone is still under warranty after unlocking the bootloader.
WARNING #2: Make sure you have enabled OEM unlock and unlocked bootloader before trying to flash this. How you can successful root and install TWRP will be described below.
WARNING #3: I have not yet fully tested the problems of dm-verity v2.0 introduced in Nougat. So as long as you don't need to modify /system, keep it read only. If you want to edit something inside system, make a backup until I can tell you more about it.
WHAT IS TWRP?
Oh come on, you know what it is - don't try to fool me!
In case you're serious, though...
Team Win Recovery Project is a custom recovery for Android devices.
It allows you to back up and restore your data, flash custom ROMs to your device, repair broken file systems, and root your device.
- 0. Make sure you enabled OEM unlock in settings, if you haven't please do that now by tipping 10 times on build number (to activate developer options), than open developer options and go to OEM unlock, enable it
- 1. Have an unlocked bootloader is required! (In my case, I called huawei and received the unlock code 12 hours later)
- 2. Download the TWRP recovery from the download section below
- 3. Make sure you got fastboot drivers installed (I will describe this below in how to unlock your bootloader)
- 4. Open the adb/fastboot application on your pc and go to the directory where your TWRP img file is downloaded
- 5. Boot your phone into download mode (First method: fastboot reboot-bootloader while connected to pc. Second method: power off your phone, hit power on and volume down until it boots to download mode)
- 6. Check again if there is written: unlocked phone!
- 7. If yes type now into your adb/fastboot terminal: fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.1.1-0-hi3660.img
- 8. Type: fastboot reboot
- 9. Now boot into recovery by pressing: power+volume up+volume down at the same time
- 10. Enjoy twrp
HOW-TO UNLOCK BOOTLOADER
- 1. Call Huawei in the HiCare app, request the bootloader unlock code there (I had to give my email, IMEI, serial number etc) or register yourself here on this link and get the code immediately!
- 2. You will receive an email maybe a few days or hours later with the unlock code, when you got it you can go on here
- 3. Install minimal adb and fastboot drivers from here: ADB and Fastboot drivers
- 4. Plug in your phone and make sure all huawei drivers got installed
- 5. Enable developer options in settings as described above.
- 6. Enable OEM unlock, enable USB debugging (both in developer options)
- 7. Open the adb tool you installed recently
- 8. Type fastboot devices (now a device number should show up)
- 9. Type fastboot reboot-bootloader (your phone will now boot into bootloader, if not, you haven't set up drivers or adb/fastboot correctly)
- 10. This step will wipe all your data! Type: fastboot oem unlock xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (xx is for your unlock code)
- 11. Ones it's done type: fastboot reboot. Your phone will reboot and you have an unlocked bootloader!
- 12. You can now go on installing TWRP on your device
HOW-TO ROOT YOUR MATE 9
- 0. Backup, just in case
- 1. Have an unlocked bootloader and TWRP installed from above
- 2. We will use this root method: Phh's superuser
- 3. Download latest official phh superuser zip r310 version
- 4. Put the zip on your external sd card of your phone (since we can't access /data in twrp)
- 5. Boot into twrp and flash the downloaded file
- 6. Install latest Material phh apk: Release post
- 7. Now you are rooted, congrats!
- MHA-L29 devices
- MHA-L09 devices
- MHA-AL00 devices
- MHA-TL01 devices
- LON-L29 devices
- LON-AL00 devices
Click on the Invite link
- v3.0.2-0 - First unofficial release
- v3.0.2-1 - Added mount options for vendor, version and product. Adjusted partition table sizes. Changed brightness
- v3.0.3-0 - Switched to Android 7.1 branch, got usb storage working (at least something)
- v3.0.3-1 - MTP fully working (thanks to @Laststandingdroid's helps), included FBE in boardconfig for future decrypt support, some other cleanups
- v3.1.0-0 - Official update to the latest TWRP version
- v3.1.0-1 - Kernel update for loop support
- v3.1.1-0 - Official TWRP update to latest version, Kernel updated, source updated, small changes in MTP
- Latest stock kernel included
- f2fs file system support (read, write, format, backup & restore)
- exFAT file system support (read, write, format, backup & restore)
- Full SELinux support
- Built in android 7.1 tree
- Encryption is not supported yet!
- Aroma is broken, seems on all other Huawei phones (as mate 8 and p9) as well
CONTACT & SUPPORT
You can find TeamWin on IRC at #twrp on chat.freenode.net.
You can also post in this thread and I will attempt to answer any questions you may have.
TWRP: TWRP source code (7.1 branch)
Device tree (International): generic_a15 (master branch)
- TWRP master @jcadduono
- Creator of Mate 8 TWRP for source tree
Gerrit for TWRP: Omni gerrit
Gerrit for officially supported devices: TWRP gerrit
TWRP Huawei Mate 9, Tool/Utility for the Huawei Mate 9
Source Code: https://github.com/Tkkg1994/android_device_hi3660
Current Stable Version: 3.1.1-0
Stable Release Date: 2017-09-27
Current Beta Version: 3.0.3-1
Beta Release Date: 2016-12-28
Last Updated 2017-10-23