FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Q] Default Launcher

161 posts
Thanks Meter: 10

By myx0mop, Senior Member on 20th December 2016, 04:07 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Trying to switch to Nova Launcher. Changing the default launcher to Nova doesn't stick. The default keeps resetting automatically back to EMUI. Looking for a solution.

20th December 2016, 04:24 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
i have the mate 9 and nova launcher prime, on my phone it sticks to nova launcher, you have to set the default to nova launcher and then keep pressing the back button until you exit the setting pages. If you close the settings after it may create problems. Also, you can set default voice control to google launcher3 this will enable google now to be on all the time and on any screen. This works well on my phone. Also if you install google Allo app, then you will get google assistant on that app, so when you say "ok google, open google allo app", you will get google assistant. My experience with the mate 9 has been good, but overall i think the galaxy s7 edge wins hand down. If you are considering getting the mate 9 pro, then dont, get the s7 edge and then upgrade to s8 that will be launched in march/april 2017.
20th December 2016, 05:29 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Los Angeles, CA

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by anand_shah19

i have the mate 9 and nova launcher prime, on my phone it sticks to nova launcher, you have to set the default to nova launcher and then keep pressing the back button until you exit the setting pages. If you close the settings after it may create problems. Also, you can set default voice control to google launcher3 this will enable google now to be on all the time and on any screen. This works well on my phone. Also if you install google Allo app, then you will get google assistant on that app, so when you say "ok google, open google allo app", you will get google assistant. My experience with the mate 9 has been good, but overall i think the galaxy s7 edge wins hand down. If you are considering getting the mate 9 pro, then dont, get the s7 edge and then upgrade to s8 that will be launched in march/april 2017.

Thanks, that's how I do it. But, EMUI still keeps taking over.
20th December 2016, 05:45 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 4,511

More
Go to default application settings and choose nova as default.
20th December 2016, 05:54 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Nova
Have you installed nova prime?,

If you have, then follow the steps i posted, if it still doesnt work, factory reset your phone and then install nova prime first and then google launcher3 app straight afterwards. This will stop any other apps from drawing over nova and google launcher., plus you will have nova and google now from any screen by saying "google now", also if you install google allo app, then saying "ok google open up google allo app, you will get google assistant. Google assistant is loaded into allo app. Drop me email and let me now how you get on. This works for me, even if i reboot phone it still works. I think when you are selecting nova launcher as default app, huawei home is drawing over that app to set itself to default. Also in app permissions you should select yes for everything for nova (trusted app) and also google launcher3. This will then allow nova and google launcher3 (which is the newer version of google now) to draw over apps you install afterwards.

Please email me and let me know how you get on, i am sure it will work after you do this...,
The Following User Says Thank You to anandshah19 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift anandshah19 Ad-Free
20th December 2016, 06:21 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 4,511

More
Why this one doesn't work?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20161220-202046.png
Views:	804
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	3974806  
20th December 2016, 08:47 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Los Angeles, CA

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gm007

Why this one doesn't work?

It works, but after a while EMUI becomes default again.
20th December 2016, 09:23 PM |#8  
Flag Neuss
Thanks Meter: 59

Donate to Me
More
One of my buddys have the same Problem. But he get a Error Message that the Nova Launcher get a conflict with EMUI.

By the way, another good launcher comes from Microsoft. https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...osoft.launcher

It works fine on my Mate 9
23rd December 2016, 05:48 PM |#9  
OP Senior Member
Flag Los Angeles, CA

More
Enabling "Agressive Desktop" in Nova settings seems to have fixed this.
31st December 2016, 04:05 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
This is driving me crazy. Only happens occasionally. The only pattern I can detect is in the car with Waze and Google Music playing through Bluetooth which seems to nearly always result in Huawei Home becoming the default launcher.

Tried the above and granting Nova and Nova prime "ignore battery optimization" all to no avail.

I am using the Chinese Mate on B153.

Any further suggestions?
1st January 2017, 08:59 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I'm having exact same issue. Really hope they fix this with a software patch.
Besides nova launcher, have you guys been able to get any other launchers to work stable?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
default launcher, nova

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)