[Guide] (2017.12.07update) How to root ur Mate9 oreo (emui 8.0)

Search This thread

abbyvictor

Jan 3, 2015
First of all, sorry for my awesome English.i am praticing my writing:D
if u understand Chinese,congratulations!these is the Chinese version:

Notice:
A. Warning! Flash phone might get it bricked. I am not responsible for it.
B. Phone is already Oreo firmware.
C. i cant guarantee these is no needless steps , but at least , i execute the steps from a to m, and i succeed to root my mate9 oreo {MHA-AL00 8.0.0.334(C00)}

-----------------------2017.12.07 update---------------------------

sorry for so many needless steps of the old method.
root mate9 emui8 now only need 2 steps (so please neglect the old method).
new method:
1. reboot to fastboot mode . and fastboot flash recovery_ramdisk this
2. reboot to recovery mode. flash supersu 2.82 sr5 mod. (download link)

done!

ps: i have compared the "supersu 2.82 sr5 mod" to official supersu 2.82 sr5
the only different is:
the 683th line of file: "/META-INF/com/google/android/update-binary"
official package is : TRY="boot_a BOOT_A $TRY"
and the mod package is: TRY="ramdisk_a RAMDISK_A $TRY"

so the the mod package can be trusted i think.

that's all !

as the Chinese popular saying goes: 无图无真相!( no pictures! no truths ! )
but i dont know how to upload my picture, imgur?tumblr? anybody teach me?

HOPE THE ABOVE IS CLEAR.

GOOD LUCK
----------------------------------------------------------------

old method ( too many needless steps, please read the new method!):
Prepare:
1. FunkyHuawei Mate 10 Root/Rebranding tool (find lastest release here)
2. TWRP 3.1.1-0 for Mate 9/EMUI 8 (click me)
3. HWOTA8 Package ( get it from this post)
4、update_data_public.zip & update_all_hw.zip for the corresponding version you need (mine is MHA-AL00 8.0.0.334(C00), you can find wat u need at here)
5、supersu 2.82 SR5 (donwload link ,we only need the superuser.apk in /common.)

steps:

a. Unlock bootloader (backup all the data you need before this step)

b. Decompress the HWOTA8 Package on ur PC.

c. Copy the TWRP 3.1.1-0 to this folder (created by Decompression ),and rename this recovery img file (TWRP 3.1.1-0) to "TWRP8_3.0.3.img"

d. Connect ur mate9 to PC by USB cable and Use Vol-Dn +Power to boot into fastboot mode.

e. Use "Replace_Recovery.bat" in the folder (created by Decompression ) to flash TWRP recovery

f. Disconnect USB cable, use Vol-Up + Power to boot into TWRP

g. Format Data in TWRP, and connect USB cable again.

h. Reboot into fastboot mode .

i. Decompress FunkyHuawei Mate 10 Root/Rebranding tool Package on ur PC.

j. Run the "FHMate10Tool.exe" and choose Option 1 to root. and it will reboot later

k. Phone reboot ---> appare the warming interface ( it said:your device has been unlocked and cant trusted blablalba..... ) ---> appare the huawei welcoming interface -----> suddenly, phone reboot. notice!: please keep USB cable disconnecting from ur Phone. and after phone reboot suddenly , keep holding the Power + Vol up as fast as u can to reboot to recovery mode. (ps: why do we hold the keys as fast as u can? because it will prevent ur rebooting phone enter the huawei welcoming interface again. if the huawei welcoming interface appearing we cant execute the step l following)

l. flash the update_data_public.zip & update_all_hw.zip in TWRP. and reboot to system .

m. if supersu is not installed, please install supersu 2.82 SR5 manually.

the step k & l is not necessary,but recommended. because if you neglect them, u cant use the Theme( i am sure) and other.... important things (maybe) .

Last edited:

abbyvictor

Jan 3, 2015
OP, How did u upgrade to oreo? I also have an AL00

there are two posts told me how to update mate9 from nougat to oreo
1. {Mod edit: Link to paid services website removed. Oswald Boelcke, Senior Moderator}
2. https://xdaforums.com/mate-9/how-to/guide-mate-9-flash-oreo-update-package-t3699522

notice:
a. the part of post 1 --"2.1 Method 1 using HWOTA Tool–" works on my mate9 Android N (emui 5.0) .
b. the part of post 2 --"Downgrade Nougat" works on my mate9, i succeed to downgrade to Nougat emui5.0 MHA-AL00C00B233.
c. the attachment of the post 1 seem to be designed to work on mate9 pro(because of the "LON") , so i modified the package to fit mate9. i don't know if it's neccessary.

i have wrote a guide,but it's in Chinese . 2rd floor (2#) of this post

Good Luck!

Last edited by a moderator:

Maheriraqi

Nov 29, 2017

Notice:
C. i cant guarantee these is no needless steps , but at least , i execute the steps from a to m, and i succeed to root my mate9 oreo {MHA-AL00 8.0.0.334(C00)}

Prepare:
4、update_data_public.zip & update_all_hw.zip for the corresponding version you need (mine is MHA-AL00 8.0.0.334(C00), you can find wat u need at here)

steps:

c. Copy the TWRP 3.1.1-0 to this folder (created by Decompression ),and rename this recovery img file (TWRP 3.1.1-0) to "TWRP8_3.0.3.img"

d. Connect ur mate9 to PC by USB cable and Use Vol-Dn +Power to boot into fastboot mode.

e. Use "Replace_Recovery.bat" in the folder (created by Decompression ) to flash TWRP recovery

j. Run the "FHMate10Tool.exe" and choose Option 1 to root. and it will reboot later

k. Phone reboot ---> appare the warming interface ( it said:your device has been unlocked and cant trusted blablalba..... ) ---> appare the huawei welcoming interface -----> suddenly, phone reboot. notice!: please keep USB cable disconnecting from ur Phone. and after phone reboot suddenly , keep holding the Power + Vol up as fast as u can to reboot to recovery mode. (ps: why do we hold the keys as fast as u can? because it will prevent ur rebooting phone enter the huawei welcoming interface again. if the huawei welcoming interface appearing we cant execute the step l following)

l. flash the update_data_public.zip & update_all_hw.zip in TWRP. and reboot to system .

the step k & l is not necessary,but recommended. because if you neglect them, u cant use the Theme( i am sure) and other.... important things (maybe) .

HOPE THE ABOVE IS CLEAR.

GOOD LUCK
how can me update my phone and i on oreo (C185log) i would like move it to (C636)

Sent from my [device_name] using XDA-Developers Legacy app

Last edited:

abbyvictor

Jan 3, 2015
how can me update my phone and i on oreo (C185log) i would like move it to (C636)

if nougat to oreo ,you should read this: {Mod edit: Link to paid services website removed. Oswald Boelcke, Senior Moderator}

if oreo to higher version oreo OR oreo to nougat , you should read this: https://xdaforums.com/mate-9/how-to/guide-mate-9-flash-oreo-update-package-t3699522

these articles are very helpful!

Reactions: Maheriraqi

Maheriraqi

Nov 29, 2017

AlemSalleh

Nov 10, 2012
Its quite confusing at first. And I manage to make it works after 4 - 7 times repeating the process. To get that themes work. Thanks a lot.
I spend few days figure this out. Thanks!

Flavio

I want to restore my Mate 9 to stock recovery and have used Huawei Update Extractor to extract the Oreo 1.9GB Update.app.
Which of the following files should I use to fastboot flash the stock recovery?

RECOVERY_RAMDIS.img 32MB
RECOVERY_VBMETA.img 6,93kB
RECOVERY_VENDOR.img 16MB

abbyvictor

Jan 3, 2015
I want to restore my Mate 9 to stock recovery and have used Huawei Update Extractor to extract the Oreo 1.9GB Update.app.
Which of the following files should I use to fastboot flash the stock recovery?

RECOVERY_RAMDIS.img 32MB
RECOVERY_VBMETA.img 6,93kB
RECOVERY_VENDOR.img 16MB

/recovery has a new name "recovery_ramdisk" in mate9 oreo

if you want to flash stock recovery , you should execute " fastboot flash recovery_ramdisk xxxxxxxxxxxxx.img" in fastboot mode.

"RECOVERY_RAMDIS" may be refer to "recovery_ramdisk", so try to execute " fastboot flash recovery_ramdisk RECOVERY_RAMDIS.img" in fastboot mode.

i'm not sure.

gook luck!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Notice:

-----------------------2017.12.07 update---------------------------

sorry for so many needless steps of the old method.
    root mate9 emui8 now only need 2 steps (so please neglect the old method).
    new method:
    1. reboot to fastboot mode . and fastboot flash recovery_ramdisk this
    2. reboot to recovery mode. flash supersu 2.82 sr5 mod. (download link)

done!

ps: i have compared the "supersu 2.82 sr5 mod" to official supersu 2.82 sr5
    the only different is:
    the 683th line of file: "/META-INF/com/google/android/update-binary"
    official package is : TRY="boot_a BOOT_A $TRY"
    and the mod package is: TRY="ramdisk_a RAMDISK_A $TRY"

so the the mod package can be trusted i think.

that's all !

HOPE THE ABOVE IS CLEAR.

GOOD LUCK
    ----------------------------------------------------------------

old method ( too many needless steps, please read the new method!):
    Prepare:

steps:

if nougat to oreo ,you should read this: {Mod edit: Link to paid services website removed. Oswald Boelcke, Senior Moderator}

if oreo to higher version oreo OR oreo to nougat , you should read this: https://xdaforums.com/mate-9/how-to/guide-mate-9-flash-oreo-update-package-t3699522

these articles are very helpful!