FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Huawei Mate S

921 posts
Thanks Meter: 95
 
By XDADEVX, Senior Member on 2nd September 2015, 05:04 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
8th September 2015, 12:32 AM |#21  
The Mate S is really just a P8 in a nicer, curved, casing with a bigger screen. Not the 5.7-inch from the rumours and not the 4,100mAh from the rumours either.

That means it's still 2.4GHz Wi-Fi only, but it does have Kirin 935 over 930. In my quick benchmark test last week, it's not a massive difference. http://jmcomms.com/2015/09/03/hands-...hmark-results/ Oh, and the fingerprint reader is excellent - so fast it's as good as instant.

It's a nice phone and I got some great pics (sorry, another link to my site but the mods shouldn't mind as I don't sell anything or have any ads - http://jmcomms.com/2015/09/03/huawei...-day-and-night ) but I am still surprised.

Seems the next big phone to get excited about will be in November, although this one isn't going to be Huawei branded...! I'm hoping to get a test unit in a month or so, fingers crossed.

Perhaps the best thing about the Mate S is the fast charging, although that isn't Quick Charge 2.0 or anything - just faster than the P8 which seems to struggle to charge quickly even with a 2.1A PSU. I wonder if is limited in how much power it can draw? It's the one thing I dislike most about my P8, more than the lack of 5GHz Wi-Fi.

Unfortunately, I had to give mine back at the end of my recent trip to Berlin with Huawei, so I won't be able to review it any further.. but it's a phone that I'd gladly replace my P8 to use.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jonmorris For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jonmorris Ad-Free
 
 
8th September 2015, 05:11 AM |#22  
XDADEVX's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 95
 
More
But P8 has slow motion in camera and double tap to wake up n?
Can you please elaborate P8 vs Mate S ? How would you compare AMOLED vs IPS Neo ? etc.
Or Mate S vs Honor 7
I think Honor 7 vins from all right now but Mate S is only about AMOLED and the design..
http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3...&idPhone3=7006
http://www.devicespecifications.com/...ison/d0f74223c
8th September 2015, 11:35 AM |#23  
uktechguru's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Leeds
Thanks Meter: 250
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by XDADEVX

I t completely doesn't matter if it supports only WiFi 2G and not 5G..
My GF has P7 which has only 2G and she doesn't complain about it.. internet works perfect in the whole house..

I think it does matter. We should expect technology to keep up with current standards. 5ghz WiFi is found in almost every device out there that have been released or that are currently available. Laptops, notebooks, tablets, mid to high end phones all face ac 5ghz WiFi. It matters if, like me, you have a lot of IoT devices connected to your router that eat up and only use the 2.4ghz bandwidth. Most IoT devices don't have the ability to access the 5ghz band which makes the 2.4ghz band congested. I previously had a router with only 2.4ghz and I had 20+ devices connected by WiFi and things were very slow with services randomly disconnecting or failing to connect. To be able to use the higher 5ghz bandwidth firstly allows more devices to be connected to your home network and secondly it has improved speed compared to 2.4ghz.

Unless it's a budget or mid-range phone, I would expect high end flagship phones that are £400+ to have ac WiFi with 2x2 mimo and WIDI/dnla/mirrorcast support.

I'm a power user as you can see and if I'm paying a lot of money for a phone, things like 5ghz dual band WiFi should come as standard. The Honor 7 has it so why not the Mate S? Seems Huawei have it all upside down. A phone that costs £250 compared to a phone that's going to cost £600+ - surely the latter should have better specs. I'm glad I've ordered the Honor 7 - Mate S doesn't seem to be worth my money, especially if the force touch is only available on the 128gb version.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
8th September 2015, 11:47 AM |#24  
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter: 94
 
More
Huawei Mate S Unboxing & Reviews: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILWUaOTaSiM
8th September 2015, 12:49 PM |#25  
XDADEVX's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 95
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by uktechguru

I think it does matter. We should expect technology to keep up with current standards. 5ghz WiFi is found in almost every device out there that have been released or that are currently available. Laptops, notebooks, tablets, mid to high end phones all face ac 5ghz WiFi. It matters if, like me, you have a lot of IoT devices connected to your router that eat up and only use the 2.4ghz bandwidth. Most IoT devices don't have the ability to access the 5ghz band which makes the 2.4ghz band congested. I previously had a router with only 2.4ghz and I had 20+ devices connected by WiFi and things were very slow with services randomly disconnecting or failing to connect. To be able to use the higher 5ghz bandwidth firstly allows more devices to be connected to your home network and secondly it has improved speed compared to 2.4ghz.

Unless it's a budget or mid-range phone, I would expect high end flagship phones that are £400+ to have ac WiFi with 2x2 mimo and WIDI/dnla/mirrorcast support.

I'm a power user as you can see and if I'm paying a lot of money for a phone, things like 5ghz dual band WiFi should come as standard. The Honor 7 has it so why not the Mate S? Seems Huawei have it all upside down. A phone that costs £250 compared to a phone that's going to cost £600+ - surely the latter should have better specs. I'm glad I've ordered the Honor 7 - Mate S doesn't seem to be worth my money, especially if the force touch is only available on the 128gb version.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Man the difference btw 2G and 5G WiFi is just in speed of network .. it is NOT speed of your internet whatsoever..
You naively think that once you get connected to your 5G your internet will be faster ? Pleeese don't be naive..
The difference btw these two wifi is THAT 5G has better perfornance via network nevertheless internet speed and and WORSE range.
2G has lower performance but greater range !
So if u complaining about disconnecting on 2G you will have EVEN worse signal for 5G when in distance so therefore even more disconnections than 2G..
This is is same like with other things .. when ordinary person sees higher number of something immediately thinks it must be better.. aah well..
The Following User Says Thank You to XDADEVX For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift XDADEVX Ad-Free
SHM
8th September 2015, 01:07 PM |#26  
Guest
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Mate S seems to be a really nice phone but the battery life pulls me away. That's about the only real issue I see with this device. Got a Mate 2 coming my way and it may have been out for some time now but it has a 4050 mAh battery with decent hardware specs packed along with it. A relatively balanced device if you ask me and worth every cent I spent on it.

Sent from my C525c using Tapatalk
8th September 2015, 05:24 PM |#27  
uktechguru's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Leeds
Thanks Meter: 250
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by XDADEVX

Man the difference btw 2G and 5G WiFi is just in speed of network .. it is NOT speed of your internet whatsoever..
You naively think that once you get connected to your 5G your internet will be faster ? Pleeese don't be naive..
The difference btw these two wifi is THAT 5G has better perfornance via network nevertheless internet speed and and WORSE range.
2G has lower performance but greater range !
So if u complaining about disconnecting on 2G you will have EVEN worse signal for 5G when in distance so therefore even more disconnections than 2G..
This is is same like with other things .. when ordinary person sees higher number of something immediately thinks it must be better.. aah well..

I've looked into it extensively and researched routers and performance for a huge broadband supplier on the UK. Xda is meant to be somewhere where we can voice our opinions, not get attacked by someone calling you naive. Personal attack are not allowed on xda avd I've reported you. Learn to be more friendlier next time.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
8th September 2015, 10:08 PM |#28  
XDADEVX's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 95
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHM

Mate S seems to be a really nice phone but the battery life pulls me away. That's about the only real issue I see with this device. Got a Mate 2 coming my way and it may have been out for some time now but it has a 4050 mAh battery with decent hardware specs packed along with it. A relatively balanced device if you ask me and worth every cent I spent on it.

Sent from my C525c using Tapatalk

MATE 2 has the BEST battery from all smartphones in the world ! Thanx to lower HW specs so lower consumption ..
The Following User Says Thank You to XDADEVX For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift XDADEVX Ad-Free
8th September 2015, 10:10 PM |#29  
XDADEVX's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 95
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by uktechguru

I've looked into it extensively and researched routers and performance for a huge broadband supplier on the UK. Xda is meant to be somewhere where we can voice our opinions, not get attacked by someone calling you naive. Personal attack are not allowed on xda avd I've reported you. Learn to be more friendlier next time.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

OMG come oon maan.,, I didn't attack you at all.. tried to explain you... don't take it too much seriously .. jeezz
Darth
9th September 2015, 03:25 AM |#30  
Guest
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Hey guys! Just a reminder to keep things constructive and avoid any insulting.

We're all friends here? Right?

Cheers,

Darth
Forum Moderator
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Ad-Free
9th September 2015, 11:45 AM |#31  
5GHz Wi-Fi is great when out.. and 802.11ac offers fast speeds that's ideal if you want to access local data on a network from your phone/tablet. I can't believe someone is arguing that 2.4GHz is somehow better.

It's nearly always congested and will often impact on your speed even if that's just 5-10 megabits. Of course 5GHz doesn't make your Internet connection faster, it just reduces the losses.

At IFA, like any big event, doing a scan of local Wi-Fi APs and all the people using their phone as a hotspot, you're trying to squeeze them all in on 11-13 channels and many not working nicely with each other. Do a scan of 5GHz and yes you'll now see more, but nowhere near as much. 802.11ac should also work nicer with surrounding services.

It's a major omission from the P8/Mate S that you can live with, but I am still not sure the reasoning behind it. I assume space was tight and it came down to the antenna, and Huawei having favoured two antennas for the signal+ feature. You could argue that the P8/Mate S will therefore work better than many other phones on mobile data, but I don't really see much evidence of their being a major difference. It still loses signal where I lose it on other devices, but perhaps the throughput is a bit higher.

And, when it comes to comparing the software features obviously the P8 doesn't have a fingerprint sensor, but everything else is just software. Huawei can pick and choose what to add and what to omit, just as it has done by offering different camera functions on the Honor 6 Plus and Honor 7. Likewise double tap to wake is a new addition on the P8, but they then removed the touchplus support and Endurance Mode (the Mate S doesn't have Endurance Mode either).

I do wish the phones were more popular that someone could create custom builds of the firmware to include ALL the functions. I assume each camera feature is just a module added at compilation, so the pro camera mode could be ported back to the P8 and on to the Honor 7, or any other EMUI 3.1 device?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jonmorris For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jonmorris Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes