Unlock Bootloader and Root Asus Zenfone Max Pro M2 (Unofficial)

Search This thread

wan_nomore

May 7, 2012
Xiaomi Poco F3
Twrp is not working with my phone..i flash the twrp and It says succeed..when try to boot recovery..it just boot to stock recovery not twrp..i trIed to flash many times but same..any solution?

kickyvivi

Jul 14, 2016
Trivandrum
This video is totally based on this post with the files mirrored to afh and no credits given. No one will face any issues on unlocking, tested 100+ times. If they did, its only because of their drivers.
People making these reviews and YouTube guides should link them to the xda thread so people will know about further developments and discussions on the thread will also be useful for them. But sadly they don't.

vjbenn

Apr 4, 2013
Xiaomi Poco F1
hello thanks for tutorial
I following every step until unlocking bootloader (I dont know how to check it if my bootloader unlock properly?)
Then when installing twrp, this command appear

Code:
sending 'recovery' (59492 KB)...
FAILED (remote: Requested download size is more than max allowed

anyone facing this issue? how to solve it? thanks

Edit:

I never had issue before with another phone. try restart my PC, uninstall reinstall driver, try all my USB port, change USB cables, still didn't make it. Seems Google can't help me :rolleyes:

And this happen if I type on cmd "fastboot devices" and then "fastboot flash recovery blabla.img"
RhMKXUa.jpg

I'm on Windows 10 x64 + latest update from Asus + official unlock bootloader

Last edited:

shailey_kush

May 21, 2009
Twrp is not working with my phone..i flash the twrp and It says succeed..when try to boot recovery..it just boot to stock recovery not twrp..i trIed to flash many times but same..any solution?
Same here. Unlocked my bl.After flashing recovery it says successful but still boots in stock recovery. Any solution please..

ipilham

Jan 12, 2019
This doesn't work, every time I click unlock my phone comes out press power to turn off and the unlock process is still not running
anyone can help me,,..?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Disclaimer :
    I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
    thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed.
    If you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you. Hard. A lot

Warranty will be VOID

UNLOCK BOOTLOADER AND ROOT ASUS ZENFONE MAX PRO M2 (Unofficial)

<Device will be formatted, so keep a backup >

Requirements :
    Asus Zenfone Max Pro M2
    Windows / Linux

Instructions :

//unlocking
    Phone:
    - Go to Setting > System > About Phone and tap on the build number until developer option appears
    - Go back to Settings > System > Developer options and enable usb debugging ( If you had already enabled usb debugging, ignore this step)

Windows:
    - Download "unlocker" and extract the files
    - Go to "adb + asus drivers" folder and install ADB and necessary drivers ( Linux users install adb, fastboot from their respective repositories )
    - Connect the device to PC on a USB 2.0 port
    - Go to "unlock" folder and open an Elevated command promt there and enter :

Code:
     adb devices
    ( Allow usb debugging box will appear, check "always allow debugging from this computer" and click OK ) and again enter

Code:
     adb devices
    (Device should be listed)

Code:
     adb reboot bootloader
    (Device will now enter fastboot )

Code:
     fastboot devices
    (Device should be listed )

Now execute unlock.cmd (windows) or ./unlock.sh (linux)

Device will show unlocked bootloader warning, encrypt and reboot
    Thats it, Bootloader is unlocked (Don't close the command prompt)

//rooting

- Download the recovery [ TWRP recommended ] and decrypt.zip from the links provided ( If you are on stock pie rom, use decrypt_pie.zip instead )
    - Go to "Root" folder of unlocker and copy magisk.apk to phone
    - Install magisk (update if available) > open > install > install > Download Zip only
    - Note the location of the downloaded zip file and move it from there to sd card
    - Move the decrypt.zip to sd card
    - Go to sec. //unlocking > Phone to enable usb debugging again
    - Copy the recovery image to "unlock" folder, go back to cmd and enter :

Code:
    adb devices
    adb reboot bootloader

fastboot devices
    fastboot flash recovery "name-of-the-recovery".img

- power off the device by pressing power button and go to recovery by pressing volume down + power button
    - Device will boot into recovery
    - If it asks for password, just cancel it
    - Wipe > Format data
    - Install > Flash decrypt.zip and magisk.zip that we copied to sdcard and reboot
    [ IF THE DEVICE STILL ENCRYPTS ITSELF, FLASH THE RECOVERY AGAIN AND FLASH OREO FIRMWARE AND REPEAT THE ABOVE STEP ]
    - Finally, go to magisk manager > install > install > direct install
    - If you want to move to other recoveries, flash the respective recovery zip provided
    - Reboot and You are done !

To unroot and relock the bootloader, Go HERE

Credits
    @Sudeep Duhoon
    @legacy07

Downloads:
    Unlocker
    Recoveries : TWRP / PBRP / OFRP / PERP / SHRP / Batik
    Data Decryption
    Data Decryption (Pie)

Piece of advice :
    If there comes any problem with this unlock process, NEVER try to unlock by official unlock tool, as you will not be able to install custom recovery and finally end up in an unlocked bootloader device with no warranty and no custom recovery to proceed further!!!
    in such cases fix the communication between phone and pc, instead of directly jumping to official tool​
    Will the unofficial way of unlocking void warranty?

Yes. Warranty will be void. But there is always a possibility of relocking bootloader to obtain warranty.
    Will the unofficial way of unlocking void warranty?
    yes. same in PBRP. Thanks btw i vl try after reinstalling the adb/drivers.

modified the guide, follow exactly as said
    will there be official way?:cowboy:
    There is official method available on asus support page for max pro m2.
    Note: doing the official way there is no chance for relocking the bootloader and claiming warranty