FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

M2-802L Official B003 ROM found!

202 posts
Thanks Meter: 70

By beast.in.black, Senior Member on 25th August 2016, 04:29 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
I've been looking everywhere for an official Huawei ROM for the Mediapad M2-802L for the last couple of days, but had no luck until I went on the Huawei Taiwan site (I was trying all their international support sites one by one). Huawei seems to have pulled the 802L ROMs from everywhere except the Huawei Taiwan support site.

This site seems to be the only one hosting an 802L ROM as of this writing (2215hrs EDT 2016-08-24). I've just flashed this ROM on my (US English) phone and it flashed fine, rebooted and came back up with all my apps and data.

The ROM version is B003, and the full filename is: M2-802L_V100R001C209B003CUSTC209D002_Android_5.1.1_EM UI_3.1.rar (the link can be a bit slow at first, but it does eventually download).

Note that if you've got a custom recovery and/or have rooted your M2-802L, you'll need to reflash the stock RECOVERY.IMG and BOOT.IMG and remove the rooting before you can flash this ROM (you don't need to relock your bootloader). You can use the Huawei Update Extractor found in this thread to get the official RECOVERY.IMG and BOOT.IMG from this ROM, and flash them in fastboot mode before you do the actual update (the following steps are NOT NECESSARY if you did not install a custom recovery and/or root your phone):
  1. Remove the rooting from your phone using the method recommended by your root app.
  2. Enter fastboot mode by either using ADB ("adb reboot bootloader") or by first shutting down the phone and then powering it up while holding down the VOLDN key.
  3. Connect the phone by USB to your computer and then fire up ADB to issue fastboot commands.
  4. Flash the official recovery image (which you extracted from the official ROM using the Huawei Update Extractor):
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery <PATH/TO/YOUR/RECOVERY.img>
  5. Flash the official Boot image (which you extracted from the official ROM using the Huawei Update Extractor):
    Code:
    fastboot flash boot <PATH/TO/YOUR/BOOT.img>
  6. Reboot your phone a couple of times to make sure that the flash of the original recovery and boot image flash have taken. You can reboot when in fastboot mode by either issuing the command "fastboot reboot" in your ADB terminal, or just holding down your power button for a few seconds until it reboots.

Now you can flash the ROM from the downloaded file, as follows:
  1. Extract the contents of the rar archive from the downloaded package. There will be a folder called "dload" inside a folder called "sd".
  2. Copy this "dload" folder to your SD card (you can copy it to either the internal or the external SD, it doesn't matter).
  3. Go to your phone's "Settings". There, navigate to "Updater"->"Menu"->"Local Update", select the displayed option, and allow it to install. Your phone will boot into the original OEM recovery and install the ROM, after which it should (hopefully) boot into the new ROM.

I just tried this ROM on my US English phone and it works fine; it even downloads and installs the 256MB B003-B005 official update.

Some background on why I was looking so hard for this ROM: I had a screwed B005 ROM because of a faulty interaction between TWRP and SuperSU, and had to recover from that by flashing the SYSTEM.img and DATA.IMG from the M2-801L ROM. Although the device worked just fine, making calls, receiving texts/MMS and everything, my device version showed "HUAWEI M2-801L" instead of "HUAWEI M2-802L" (obviously) because I hadn't saved my original build.prop and phone.prop files (I could have replaced the 801L build.prop and phone.prop with the 802L ones after I had flashed the 801L firmware). Considering that a new official OTA update for Android 6 is rumored to be arriving in September, I wanted to make sure that my phone was set up in the proper way with no inconsistencies, so that I could install the new update when it arrives. I even wrote to Huawei support but they weren't helpful. Ah well, who needs em
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beast.in.black For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift beast.in.black Ad-Free

10th September 2016, 04:11 AM |#2  
Flag Brisbane
Thanks Meter: 181

More
I'm running this ROM (after bricking my device and trying just about every recovery method possible). I had 2 oddities with it. The first one may have just been coincidence but it wouldn't keep the Play store open for more than a few seconds. I cleared cache, data and everything else but in the end had to sideload the Play store APK to get it to work. I think Play Services must have updated before the Store so then the store was incompatible and crashed.

Secondly, my smart cover no longer works. If I open the cover the screen lights for a few seconds but doesn't respond to touch. Then if Ihit the power button, it takes about 8 seconds but then still isn't responsive. Repeat and then it comes to life. Take it out of the case, no problem. Disable smart cover in settings and we're good. As far as I can tell, there is a specific smart cover available in Asia for this device but it is no good with a generic one. The original ROM worked fine with my cover.

I have contacted Huawei support asking for a link to the Aussie ROM but a week and several back and forth emails later, they haven't told me anything. Apparently they have escalated my call and a senior will call me back.
10th September 2016, 11:42 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmoore

I'm running this ROM (after bricking my device and trying just about every recovery method possible). I had 2 oddities with it. The first one may have just been coincidence but it wouldn't keep the Play store open for more than a few seconds. I cleared cache, data and everything else but in the end had to sideload the Play store APK to get it to work. I think Play Services must have updated before the Store so then the store was incompatible and crashed.

Secondly, my smart cover no longer works. If I open the cover the screen lights for a few seconds but doesn't respond to touch. Then if Ihit the power button, it takes about 8 seconds but then still isn't responsive. Repeat and then it comes to life. Take it out of the case, no problem. Disable smart cover in settings and we're good. As far as I can tell, there is a specific smart cover available in Asia for this device but it is no good with a generic one. The original ROM worked fine with my cover.

I have contacted Huawei support asking for a link to the Aussie ROM but a week and several back and forth emails later, they haven't told me anything. Apparently they have escalated my call and a senior will call me back.

Hm. I've been using this ROM for a while now and haven't noticed any such issues (I'm using a generic smart cover I bought off the US Amazon site). How exactly did you flash this ROM? What were the exact steps you used? I ask because I think what may be happening is that you may possibly have bits and pieces left over from your original aussie ROM that is experiencing some culture shock with the Taiwanese bits of this ROM

At any rate, what I would recommend to try to fix your issues is to reflash the full ROM again, with the original Huawei BOOT and RECOVERY partitions of course (it'll still keep all your data and apps, don't worry, I've done this a few times now in my R&D):
  • If you're rooted, remember to unroot first
  • If you have a custom recovery like TWRP then remember to flash the stock recovery and boot partitions back first. Let me know if you need to know how to get these partitions or how to flash them.
  • Stick the "dload" directory of this ROM directory back on to your SD card, access the Updater, choose the "Local Update" option and update from there. It should reboot into the Huawei recovery and flash the full ROM, which (I think) is all partition images contained in the UPDATE.APP for the ROM).
  • Let the ROM reboot. It should now say that its "upgrading" your apps. After a bit, if you access the updater, you should see a "B003 to B005" OTA update available which is about 256 MB. Select to download and install this update.
  • See how it behaves after this update is installed.
  • As a final cleaning step, reboot into the recovery by first shutting it off and then pressing the power button with VOLDN pressed simultaneously. In the recovery menu, select the "Clear cache/Dalvik cache" (don't remember exact wording because I pretty much immediately flash the latest TWRP for this device), let it clean the cache, then reboot and see if your problems go away.

I've been running this ROM in the US on the AT&T network quite troublefree (except for AT&T outages) ever since I first flashed this ROM - all my subsequent troubles are usually caused by my messing around with it trying to learn stuff by poking around where I don't belong
The Following User Says Thank You to beast.in.black For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift beast.in.black Ad-Free
11th September 2016, 06:19 AM |#4  
Flag Brisbane

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by beast.in.black

Hm. I've been using this ROM for a while now and haven't noticed any such issues (I'm using a generic smart cover I bought off the US Amazon site). How exactly did you flash this ROM? What were the exact steps you used? I ask because I think what may be happening is that you may possibly have bits and pieces left over from your original aussie ROM that is experiencing some culture shock with the Taiwanese bits of this ROM

At any rate, what I would recommend to try to fix your issues is to reflash the full ROM again, with the original Huawei BOOT and RECOVERY partitions of course (it'll still keep all your data and apps, don't worry, I've done this a few times now in my R&D):

• If you're rooted, remember to unroot first
  • If you have a custom recovery like TWRP then remember to flash the stock recovery and boot partitions back first. Let me know if you need to know how to get these partitions or how to flash them.
  • Stick the "dload" directory of this ROM directory back on to your SD card, access the Updater, choose the "Local Update" option and update from there. It should reboot into the Huawei recovery and flash the full ROM, which (I think) is all partition images contained in the UPDATE.APP for the ROM).
  • Let the ROM reboot. It should now say that its "upgrading" your apps. After a bit, if you access the updater, you should see a "B003 to B005" OTA update available which is about 256 MB. Select to download and install this update.
  • See how it behaves after this update is installed.
  • As a final cleaning step, reboot into the recovery by first shutting it off and then pressing the power button with VOLDN pressed simultaneously. In the recovery menu, select the "Clear cache/Dalvik cache" (don't remember exact wording because I pretty much immediately flash the latest TWRP for this device), let it clean the cache, then reboot and see if your problems go away.

I've been running this ROM in the US on the AT&T network quite troublefree (except for AT&T outages) ever since I first flashed this ROM - all my subsequent troubles are usually caused by my messing around with it trying to learn stuff by poking around where I don't belong

I suspect you're right. As for how did I flash this ..... Truth is there is no way I could recreate the steps. I wrote about it in the "help I've soft-bricked ..." thread. It was more a matter of luck that judgement that I got the tablet recovered.

I'll give this a go though and see what happens. I wasn't aware there was a newer ROM than B003. Mind you, I've been trying to get some information from Huawei for over a week and have finally given up. Huawei says speak to Vodafone, Vodafone says speak to Huawei.

---------- Post added at 03:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:55 PM ----------

Quote:

I suspect you're right. As for how did I flash this ..... Truth is there is no way I could recreate the steps. I wrote about it in the "help I've soft-bricked ..." thread. It was more a matter of luck that judgement that I got the tablet recovered.

I'll give this a go though and see what happens. I wasn't aware there was a newer ROM than B003. Mind you, I've been trying to get some information from Huawei for over a week and have finally given up. Huawei says speak to Vodafone, Vodafone says speak to Huawei.

When I tried to run the update from SD card, it gets to about 75% and then tells me the update failed. I reboot and come straight back to where I was before.

In my bootloader I have "FRP Lock" which I believe is to do with password / PIN lock. However I cannot remove those as "something" is holding on to them. I removed my company Exchange account and deactivated the Google "find my phone" administrator. But I;m not sure what else is hogging it, or even if this is the actual problem.
11th September 2016, 09:18 AM |#5  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:

I'll give this a go though and see what happens.

Fair enough. I did see your post there, but there wasn't enough detail for me to go on.

If you're feeling brave, you can try a fastboot erase and manual flash of the SYSTEM partition from the OEM Taiwanese ROM (as I had outlined in the other thread), before you try the full update again (but see below).

I also wonder: to solve what I strongly suspect are "chimera ROM" issues due to an incomplete original flash which initially resurrected your phone, whether perhaps you might need to manually flash one or more of the other partition images present in the Taiwanese ROM's UPDATE.APP (I'm just taking a SWAG here) to allow a subsequent proper update process to work:
Code:
MCUIMAGE.img
CUST.img
USERDATA.img
SENSORHUB.img
TRUSTFIRMWARE.img
Unfortunately, there is practically no information available on what any of these Huawei partition images are for, so it's pretty much "take a guess based on the image name", which may or may not be what one thinks it is, especially given that Huawei is a Chinese company, with all the attendant language issues that can exist in such a scenario.

Quote:

I wasn't aware there was a newer ROM than B003.

The B003->B005 update is not a full ROM, it's just a 250MB partial update which is only available OTA, as far as I know. The only full ROM (2.5GB) currently out in the wild for the M2-802L seems to be the B003 ROM (or at least, it's the only one I've found in about 3 weeks of frantic searching).

Quote:

Mind you, I've been trying to get some information from Huawei for over a week and have finally given up. Huawei says speak to Vodafone, Vodafone says speak to Huawei.

Bloody typical. I had sent Huawei more than a few emails asking for the bootloader unlock code, as well as several frantic emails begging for the 802L ROM when I had accidentally messed up my own factory ROM due to the TWRP+SuperSU interop glitch. All I got from them was the written equivalent of "P*$$ off" from Huawei's US support as well as China support, so I said "Eff these guys" and just paid the DC-Unlocker guys 4 euros for the privilege of getting the unlock code, which was fast, painless and efficient. I then figured that there had to be an 802L ROM available somewhere, and I spent about 2 weeks going through all of Huawei's international channel support sites until I found it in a single place: the Taiwan site.

Quote:

---------- Post added at 03:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:55 PM ----------

When I tried to run the update from SD card, it gets to about 75% and then tells me the update failed. I reboot and come straight back to where I was before.

In my bootloader I have "FRP Lock" which I believe is to do with password / PIN lock. However I cannot remove those as "something" is holding on to them. I removed my company Exchange account and deactivated the Google "find my phone" administrator. But I;m not sure what else is hogging it, or even if this is the actual problem.

Actually, the FRP lock is controlled by the Developer option "Allow OEM Unlock". If you have developer options enabled, it should show up in your settings, under the "System" settings menu (see attached images).

However, even if your FRP is locked it should not prevent you from flashing the official Huawei image. Could you post the recovery log of the failed update? The recovery log of the OEM Huawei recovery is located at
Code:
/splash2/recovery_log
on your internal SD's filesystem, so you can maybe use adb or a file manager on your phone to get it out of the phone to post it here. I don't know if I have a matchstick's chance in Nordic hell to find what the issue is, but I'm willing to take a look...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Huawei-Settings-Developer-Option.png
Views:	336
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	3871728   Click image for larger version

Name:	Huawei-Settings-Developer-Option-FRP_Unlock.png
Views:	338
Size:	166.6 KB
ID:	3871729  
11th September 2016, 11:57 AM |#6  
Flag Brisbane

More
Quote:

Fair enough. I did see your post there, but there wasn't enough detail for me to go on.

If you're feeling brave, you can try a fastboot erase and manual flash of the SYSTEM partition from the OEM Taiwanese ROM (as I had outlined in the other thread), before you try the full update again (but see below).

I also wonder: to solve what I strongly suspect are "chimera ROM" issues due to an incomplete original flash which initially resurrected your phone, whether perhaps you might need to manually flash one or more of the other partition images present in the Taiwanese ROM's UPDATE.APP (I'm just taking a SWAG here) to allow a subsequent proper update process to work:

Code:
MCUIMAGE.img
CUST.img
USERDATA.img
SENSORHUB.img
TRUSTFIRMWARE.img
Unfortunately, there is practically no information available on what any of these Huawei partition images are for, so it's pretty much "take a guess based on the image name", which may or may not be what one thinks it is, especially given that Huawei is a Chinese company, with all the attendant language issues that can exist in such a scenario.

The B003->B005 update is not a full ROM, it's just a 250MB partial update which is only available OTA, as far as I know. The only full ROM (2.5GB) currently out in the wild for the M2-802L seems to be the B003 ROM (or at least, it's the only one I've found in about 3 weeks of frantic searching).

Bloody typical. I had sent Huawei more than a few emails asking for the bootloader unlock code, as well as several frantic emails begging for the 802L ROM when I had accidentally messed up my own factory ROM due to the TWRP+SuperSU interop glitch. All I got from them was the written equivalent of "P*$$ off" from Huawei's US support as well as China support, so I said "Eff these guys" and just paid the DC-Unlocker guys 4 euros for the privilege of getting the unlock code, which was fast, painless and efficient. I then figured that there had to be an 802L ROM available somewhere, and I spent about 2 weeks going through all of Huawei's international channel support sites until I found it in a single place: the Taiwan site.

Actually, the FRP lock is controlled by the Developer option "Allow OEM Unlock". If you have developer options enabled, it should show up in your settings, under the "System" settings menu (see attached images).

However, even if your FRP is locked it should not prevent you from flashing the official Huawei image. Could you post the recovery log of the failed update? The recovery log of the OEM Huawei recovery is located at
Code:
/splash2/recovery_log
on your internal SD's filesystem, so you can maybe use adb or a file manager on your phone to get it out of the phone to post it here. I don't know if I have a matchstick's chance in Nordic hell to find what the issue is, but I'm willing to take a look...

First problem is I don't have Enable OEM Unlock in dev options.

When I try to flash TWRP, I get
Quote:

[email protected]:~/Downloads$ sudo fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.0.2-0-mozart.img
target reported max download size of 471859200 bytes
sending 'recovery' (25330 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.590s]
writing 'recovery'...
FAILED (remote: Command not allowed)
finished. total time: 0.590s

Bootloader says PHONE Unlocked and FRP Lock but it seems to me that my bootloader is locked, as I cannot do anything at all with it. If I try fastboot oem unlock, I get:
Quote:

[email protected]:~/Downloads$ sudo fastboot oem unlock
FAILED (remote: Necessary to unlock FRP!)
finished. total time: 0.221s

I'm running Linux so the DC Unlocker tool won't work. I might have to find a Windows machine to try that.
11th September 2016, 12:48 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member

More
Lightbulb
Quote:

First problem is I don't have Enable OEM Unlock in dev options.

When I try to flash TWRP, I get

Bootloader says PHONE Unlocked and FRP Lock but it seems to me that my bootloader is locked, as I cannot do anything at all with it. If I try fastboot oem unlock, I get:

I'm running Linux so the DC Unlocker tool won't work. I might have to find a Windows machine to try that.

Hmmm... what is the exact output of
Code:
fastboot oem get-bootinfo
for you? It is possible that your "Phone unlocked" message may be bogus like it was for the original poster of the "softbricked" thread, although I have no explanation for how that situation came to be. And not having the "Enable OEM Unlock" option in your dev options is deeply disturbing and more than a little suspicious...

SAY!!!! Hang on a bit!! I just realized something: Your reply in the softbrick thread (which the original poster created for the 803L) said that you downloaded the ROM which I had linked in this thread....but my ROM is for the 802L, which is the model I have.
Now, here are the specs from the Huawei site for the 802L and 803L:
Code:
M2-802L
    GSM:850/900/1800/1900MHz
    UMTS:850(B5/B19)/900/1700/1800/1900/2100MHz
    LTE -FDD:Band 1/2/3/4/5/7/8/19/26/28;
    LTE -TDD:Band 41/40
    WLAN:2.4/5GHz

M2-803L
    GSM:850/900/1800/1900MHz
    UMTS:850/900/1900/2100MHz;TD-SCDMA:Band 34/39;
    LTE -FDD:Band 1/3/7;LTE -TDD:Band 38/39/40/41
    WLAN:2.4/5GHz
I have a very important question for you: Is your phone an 803L or an 802L?

This is of prime importance because they have different radio hardware (for starters - see the specs above; there might be other hardware differences)!

Due to this different hardware, the contents of the important partitions that contain the low-level kernel drivers and other ancillary information related to configuring and operating them will be totally different for the two different models! That is why I left the OP in that thread to his own devices using his own ROM - because the 802L ROM would be totally unsuitable at a low-level device-driver level for his phone!

Now, if your phone is indeed the 803L, then much becomes clear!

Consider: If you've got a partial flash of the 802L ROM on your 803L, that would likely explain your strange issues with the smart case etc. In fact, I'm surprised that you aren't having more and deeper issues, but likely the "Failed" update in the Huawei recovery is what is actually saving you from catastrophe here: it's actually refusing to flash the low-level partitions that deal with the hardware at the device layer and which would seriously damage your phone and hard-brick it if the flash actually succeeded.
In addition, if your phone is an 803, that would also sort of explain your weird "Phone unlocked but FRP locked" state that no one but you and the OP in the softbrick thread are reporting - one might draw the conclusion that there is some ROM bug (which especially shows up when one is trying to unlock the phone) in the 803L which is causing this behavior.

As an aside, I'm now also wondering if the poor OP in that thread is also an aussie with a Vodaphone-flogged device...
11th September 2016, 09:19 PM |#8  
Flag Brisbane

More
Yeah mine is definitely the m2-802l. And I think your right about the bogus unlocked notification in the bootloader. My plan at the moment is this:
1 Get rid of the FRP lock. I found an article describing how to do it. Basically remove all Google accounts, then wipe / factory reset.
2 Get an unlock code and try unlock bootloader with fastboot and / or dc unlocker on a windows PC.

I'm not at a computer at the moment but I suspect the result of the command you mentioned will be "remote: command not allowed". Most fastboot command give me that. I'll test the theory shortly.
11th September 2016, 10:24 PM |#9  
Flag Brisbane

More
Quote:

Yeah mine is definitely the m2-802l. And I think your right about the bogus unlocked notification in the bootloader. My plan at the moment is this:
1 Get rid of the FRP lock. I found an article describing how to do it. Basically remove all Google accounts, then wipe / factory reset.
2 Get an unlock code and try unlock bootloader with fastboot and / or dc unlocker on a windows PC.

I'm not at a computer at the moment but I suspect the result of the command you mentioned will be "remote: command not allowed". Most fastboot command give me that. I'll test the theory shortly.

OK. So fastboot oem get-bootinfo tells me my bootloader is unlocked
Quote:

[email protected]:~/Downloads$ fastboot oem get-bootinfo
(bootloader) unlocked
OKAY [ 0.000s]
finished. total time: 0.000s

But pretty much anything else "fastboot" tells me command not allowed. I cannot flash recovery or boot, etc.

So I removed ALL accounts from the device, then rebooted to recovery and cleared cache, the wipe / factory reset. On booting back up and not adding an account, I still don't have Enable OEM Unlock in dev options, and still have FRP Lock on the bootloader screen. I tried fastbook oem frp-unlock and it looks like I need some kind of key.
Quote:

[email protected]:~/Downloads$ fastboot oem frp-unlock
FAILED (remote: FRPKEY parse fail)
finished. total time: 0.000s

I had a look at dc-unlocker and they want 15 Euro for an FRP unlock so I'll call that plan B.
With no accounts on the device and after a factory reset, I reloaded the ROM from SD card and again it failed at about 70%. So I'm a bit stuck at the moment.
11th September 2016, 10:27 PM |#10  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:

Ah OK. Then likely your failed update is due the weird situation in which your poor bootloader finds itself. Good luck with the wipe/factory reset.

BTW, at some point if you could run another update from the Updater using the "Local Update" option and the full original UPDATE.APP in the dload dir on your SD, and then give me the recovery_log from it, that would be great. Maybe I can learn something from it...and hopefully (faint hope) there may be something in there which may give us a clue as to how/why your phone is in this poor state.
12th September 2016, 01:01 AM |#11  
Flag Brisbane

More
Quote:

Ah OK. Then likely your failed update is due the weird situation in which your poor bootloader finds itself. Good luck with the wipe/factory reset.

BTW, at some point if you could run another update from the Updater using the "Local Update" option and the full original UPDATE.APP in the dload dir on your SD, and then give me the recovery_log from it, that would be great. Maybe I can learn something from it...and hopefully (faint hope) there may be something in there which may give us a clue as to how/why your phone is in this poor state.

I tried to get the recovery log but I'm getting permission denied using adb shell and have no access to it via any app. Not having root, or the ability to get it is a PITA to say the least. I'll keep you posted.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)