[ROM][8.1][ LOS 15.1 ( EOL ) For Huawei MediaPad M3 8.4 ][Update 05/01/2022]

Search This thread

surdu_petru

Recognized Contributor
Feb 3, 2010
Paris
oie-jpg.png

Android 8.1 is coming on your Huawei MediaPad M3 8.4, Kirin 950 SoC with the LineageOS 15.1 !

In October 2021 this ROM reached the end of life ( EOL )

Devices Supported :

Huawei MediaPad M3 8.4 :

BTV-DL09; BTV-L0J; BTV-W09

About LineageOS :

LineageOS 15.1 is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 10 (Q), which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. Linked below is a package that has come from another Android project that restore the Google parts. LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

* Your warranty is now void.
* We are not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
* thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
* do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
* before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
* you point the finger at us for messing up your device, we will laugh at you.

Warning !
Installing a custom ROM on your device can sometimes be difficult and also with unwanted consequences! Therefore, make sure that you understand exactly what risks this operation entails - you are the only one responsible for all actions taken on your device.

Downloads ( EOL ):

LineageOS-15.1-BTV_2022-01-05.zip md5: 4b424433f7b746d9abad7c5adfec07a1

Only for BTV-W09 :

boot_w09_oreo_2022-01-05.img md5: f33b2ba35cbfb67b62b28b771bdff240

This ROM do not include GApps
please use always the last available pack :

OpenGApps for Android 8.1 ARM64
recommended to use nano or pico version

Instructions :

1. install the New TWRP 3.3.1-0 ( please check the second post )
2. format data in TWRP & reboot device into twrp to be able to use data !
3. go to Wipe -> Swipe to Factory Reset
4. wipe Vendor & System partitions
5. copy LOS-15.1 ROM & GApps to Internal/External Storage
6. go to Install -> check the LOS zip file
7. Add more Zips
8. check GApps zip file
9. Swipe to confirm Flash
10. Wait a bit until you'll see : "
- Installation complete!
- Unmounting partitions
Updating partitions details ...
... done
11. Wipe Cache/Dalvik -> Swipe to Wipe
12. If your device it's BTV-W09 please install now boot_w09_oreo_xxx.img
( Install -> Install Image -> choose "boot_w09_oreo_xxx.img" -> Select Partition to Flash Image: Boot )
13. Reboot System
14. Enjoy!

What's working :

* Touchscreen
* Audio & Video
* Wi-Fi
* Bluetooth
* GPS
* Lights
* Notification light
* Sensors
* Internal/External Storage
* ADB/MTP & USB/OTG
* Off-mode Charging
* RIL & LTE data connection
* HWComposer
* Camera
* DRM enabled ( the same Level L3 like on Stock EMUI Firmware )
* Fingerprint scanner
* Hardware Video Decoder

Not working :

* SELinux Disabled; ( won't be enabled anytime soon )
* Encryption; ( won't be fixed anytime soon )
* Cast - not working
* there may be others minor issues like camera not fully working and so on

Credits :

LineageOS Team

Source :

kernel: android_kernel_huawei_btv Branch: oreo !

Screenshots :

Screenshot-20200424-154832-Trebuchet.png
Screenshot-20200424-154951-Trebuchet.png

Screenshot-20201025-100456-Settings.png

Contributors
surdu_petru
Paypal Donation : paypal.me/petrusurdu1
Source Code: https://github.com/Huawei-Dev?tab=repositories

ROM OS Version: Android 8.1/Oreo
ROM Kernel: Linux 4.4.x
ROM Firmware Required: Stock Android N - EMUI 5.x
Based On: LineageOS

Version Information
Stable

Project Status
EOL

Created 2020-04-19
Last Updated 2022-01-05

Last edited:

surdu_petru

Recognized Contributor
Feb 3, 2010
Paris
TWRP 3.3.1-0

TWRP 3.3.1-0

You need this new TWRP in order to flash Lineage OS 15.1 !

Must be installed only on Android N EMUI 5.x

Working on all Huawei MediaPad M3 8.4 with Android N EMUI 5.x !

Download :

twrp-3.3.1-0.img md5: 984779bc7af812eb1b3e67e197732dbc

Installation :

adb reboot bootloader

fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.3.1-0.img

fastboot reboot

You need to FORMAT Data in order to decrypt /data, you need this step because LineageOS 15.1 do not have implemented right now encryption/decryption support !

Last edited:

surdu_petru

Recognized Contributor
Feb 3, 2010
Paris
Back To Stock EMUI !

You can switch at any moment from LineageOS to Stock Huawei Firmware EMUI 5.x Android N !

Before take any action by installing the new TWRP-3.3.1-0/LOS 15.1, please make sure you can return back to stock by following the steps below !

From stock EMUI 5.1 you need to keep safe your ROM reference in order to be able to download the proper update.zip for your device !

adb shell getprop | grep 'ro.build.display.id'

[ro.build.display.id]: [BTV-DL09C100B311]

You should download from here the exact version of your update.zip ( FullOTA-MF ) which match "BTV-DL09C100B311" !

Extract UPDATE.APP from update.zip and put to dload folder created on the root of internal storage !

Please use "dload" method to flash via erecovery /dload/UPDATE.APP !

Warning !!!

What I described above works only if in the download link above you find the version EMUI 5.x Android N to match your "ro.build.display.id" ... but I guess from there you can only download the EMUI 4.x Android MM which are not suitable for our purpose !

So if you really want to successfully return to stock EMUI, make sure you have an update.app EMUI 5.x Android N that can be successfully installed via "dload" method before to switch to LOS 15.1 Android Oreo!

Another possibility would be to perform a full backup in your current configurations( TWRP & Stock EMUI 5.x ), assuming that you are already on EMUI 5.x Android N - before to switch to the new TWRP & LOS 15.1 ! And for restore your full backup, you must reinstall your previously TWRP - wich has capability to restore your encrypted full backup !

Last edited:

surdu_petru

Recognized Contributor
Feb 3, 2010
Paris
Warning !

Please do not install this new custom ROM, if the first three posts are not clear enough to you .

You can start by following this GUIDE with detailed explanations !

Thanks !

Last edited:

surdu_petru

Recognized Contributor
Feb 3, 2010
Paris
Warning !

Please post all unrelated questions to this topic here !

Someone will definitely help you there.

Please post here your feedback, issues or whatever it's related to development with this new custom ROM !

Thank you for the understanding !

EDIT:

Thanks to @ericzollman & @sergio_sant for their tests, the new TWRP 3.3.1-0 & LineageOS 15.1 can be installed on All Huawei MediaPad M3 8.4 !

Last edited:

surdu_petru

Recognized Contributor
Feb 3, 2010
Paris
Camera Working !!!

Hi !

I just managed to fix Camera ( photo & video recording ) on Lineage OS 15.1 (Android Oreo 8.1) !

For some unknown reason default Snap camera can't save pictures nor video, but we can use Open Camera which working without issues :)

Screenshot-20200421-093817-Trebuchet.png

EDIT :

DRM was already enabled along with LiveDisplay/Reading mode, Prevent accidental wake-up or World/Global Phone Network Type !

Screenshot-20200421-095123-Lineage-OS-Settings.png

Screenshot-20200421-095201-Settings.png

Screenshot-20200421-095223-Mobile-Data.png

Last edited:
Hi.

First of all, thank you for this great work. :)
Your ROM is amazingly stable even it is the very first version.

Today I think I found a somewhat performance issue.
I installed Geekbench 5. Just to check how this machine fast compared to the other APs being used these days.
But the results seem too low. Please check this Geekbench 5 benchmark result page: https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/1877147
Expected results are: https://browser.geekbench.com/android_devices/371

I'm not an expert for Android development. Just curious :)
Thanks again!

surdu_petru

Recognized Contributor
Feb 3, 2010
Paris
Hi.

First of all, thank you for this great work. :)
Your ROM is amazingly stable even it is the very first version.

Today I think I found a somewhat performance issue.
I installed Geekbench 5. Just to check how this machine fast compared to the other APs being used these days.
But the results seem too low. Please check this Geekbench 5 benchmark result page: https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/1877147
Expected results are: https://browser.geekbench.com/android_devices/371

I'm not an expert for Android development. Just curious :)
Thanks again!

Thanks !

There is no power management implementation and maybe that's why you got those poor results ! In fact I guess that the whole system run on a lower power configuration right now.

I have not time yet to try to work on increase performance , there is a lot of other important issues that' must be fixed prior.

For the moment I'm glad that it runs smoothly and without any random reboots :eek:

surdu_petru

Recognized Contributor
Feb 3, 2010
Paris

Thanks, I'll add to Not working list into OP !

Also we have an in house Huawei Bluetooth chip which can't be enabled on Android Oreo, even if it's working well on LOS 14.1 Android Nougat !

It was much easier if it was a BCM like on other Huawei / Honor devices ... I know that a ROM without BT is useless, but I have no clue how can be fix it ... it's been three days since I've only been working on BT fixing, and unfortunately no positive signs so far :(

OK, I'll try to fix headset issue right in the next update !

Reactions: infamous_black

qlue4e

Dec 23, 2017
maybe and i dont know very well but if the mate 8 which is almost the same device has the same bluetooth chip is it possible to use its code for the bluetooth part because its already updated to oreo if i remember correctly ? personally i dont use the bluetooth at all. waiting for headset fingerprint and maybe the power manager because im playing pubg on it but dont stress yourself health is more important and thank you for your hard work have a good month.

surdu_petru

Recognized Contributor
Feb 3, 2010
Paris
maybe and i dont know very well but if the mate 8 which is almost the same device has the same bluetooth chip is it possible to use its code for the bluetooth part because its already updated to oreo if i remember correctly ? personally i dont use the bluetooth at all. waiting for headset fingerprint and maybe the power manager because im playing pubg on it but dont stress yourself health is more important and thank you for your hard work have a good month.

Yes, that's the bad news ... I already used all Oreo stuff from Mate 8, but unfortunately Mate 8 uses a BT chip based on Broadcom (BCM) !

surdu_petru

Recognized Contributor
Feb 3, 2010
Paris
Hi.

I'm going to report another unimplemented thing just found; Speakers work but only the top. The bottom speaker doesn't work.
Maybe you already know that. :)

One question, is there any chance to get stereo sound with the 2 speakers?

Sound it's not working at all right now after I tried to fix headset issue, and it's been 10 hours since I've been trying to get it back the way it was :(

Starting next week the development here will be very slowly as I restart my work , and I'll not have too much free time for development.

From what remains to be fixed, nothing can be fixed in a few hours .... so I don't know when I'll have time to try to fix the rest of the issues, also I don't know when I'll release a new update .

Thanks for understanding !

Sound it's not working at all right now after I tried to fix headset issue, and it's been 10 hours since I've been trying to get it back the way it was :(

Starting next week the development here will be very slowly as I restart my work , and I'll not have too much free time for development.

From what remains to be fixed, nothing can be fixed in a few hours .... so I don't know when I'll have time to try to fix the rest of the issues, also I don't know when I'll release a new update .

Thanks for understanding !

Take a break. :)
I, probably we all don't want you to be pressed by the updates. Publishing LineageOS itself is the present for us!
Actually still waiting for the updates, but this because only you could do develop this. But don't want you to go hurry. :D

surdu_petru

Recognized Contributor
Feb 3, 2010
Paris
Take a break. :)
I, probably we all don't want you to be pressed by the updates. Publishing LineageOS itself is the present for us!
Actually still waiting for the updates, but this because only you could do develop this. But don't want you to go hurry. :D

I think you're right, I wanted to do too much at the same time, and ended up with a broken LOS build !

There are far too many stuff to be implemented and fixed on this ROM and it sound likely will never be finished ... only the correct kernel update can take 6 months, so updating to Android Pie will not be as soon as I thought initially .

EDIT:

It looks like I finally managed to fix the sound issues : stereo speakers enabled & also headset issue :D

Last edited:

surdu_petru

Recognized Contributor
Feb 3, 2010
Paris
New Update !!!

New Update Of LOS 15.1 For MediaPad M3 8.4

Changelog:
- DRM enabled - now you can watch video streaming that needs drm support !
- fixed stereo speakers & headset
- enabled LiveDisplay & Reading mode
- added Prevent accidental wake-up
- Camera fixed ( but not fully working )
* video recording only on default format
* video recording on front camera not working
* HDR & also most all settings not working apart default !
- enabled World/Global Network preference type
- GPS improved
- Updated Android security patch level : April 5, 2020 !

Screenshot-20200424-155009-Settings.png

Please check OP to download the new update, thanks !

Last edited:

surdu_petru

Recognized Contributor
Feb 3, 2010
Paris
Good news !

Hi !

I just managed to fix fingerprint scanner on my device :D

And another good news, there is a way to update this device to Android 10 : I just found out it was possible even if we don't have fstab implementation into kernel/dts - and this stuff can't be implemented in our device as dts images can't be builded or updated ! So, there is a way to by-pass this kernel requirement and boot the latest Android Q on the legacy devices :)

Screenshot-20200425-015113.png

Screenshot-20200425-015131-Settings.png

infamous_black

Oct 5, 2009
Chicago
Hi !

I just managed to fix fingerprint scanner on my device :D

And another good news, there is a way to update this device to Android 10 : I just found out it was possible even if we don't have fstab implementation into kernel/dts - and this stuff can't be implemented in our device as dts images can't be builded or updated ! So, there is a way to by-pass this kernel requirement and boot the latest Android Q on the legacy devices :)

Great news, thanks again for all your hard work!

Reactions: surdu_petru

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello, i recently install this ROM on my BTV-L0J, i thing i noticed the charging speed is so slow ? is it common thing in this ROM ? Thank you...

edit, from 40% to 100% it needs about 3 - 4 hrs, using 'Ampere' app it only show measure charging 400-500 mAh, while other normal huawei tab with the same charger measured around 2.300-2.980 mAh (2h 40min from 20 to 100%)
    Same device, same problem here. I fixed it by using TWRP to [wipe cache]. The charging current increased from 500mA to about 1200mA
    oie-jpg.png

Android 8.1 is coming on your Huawei MediaPad M3 8.4, Kirin 950 SoC with the LineageOS 15.1 !

In October 2021 this ROM reached the end of life ( EOL )

Devices Supported :

Huawei MediaPad M3 8.4 :

BTV-DL09; BTV-L0J; BTV-W09

About LineageOS :

LineageOS 15.1 is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 10 (Q), which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. Linked below is a package that has come from another Android project that restore the Google parts. LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

* Your warranty is now void.
    * We are not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
    * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
    * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
    * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
    * you point the finger at us for messing up your device, we will laugh at you.

Warning !
    Installing a custom ROM on your device can sometimes be difficult and also with unwanted consequences! Therefore, make sure that you understand exactly what risks this operation entails - you are the only one responsible for all actions taken on your device.

Downloads ( EOL ):

LineageOS-15.1-BTV_2022-01-05.zip md5: 4b424433f7b746d9abad7c5adfec07a1

Only for BTV-W09 :

boot_w09_oreo_2022-01-05.img md5: f33b2ba35cbfb67b62b28b771bdff240

This ROM do not include GApps
    please use always the last available pack :

OpenGApps for Android 8.1 ARM64
    recommended to use nano or pico version

Instructions :

1. install the New TWRP 3.3.1-0 ( please check the second post )
    2. format data in TWRP & reboot device into twrp to be able to use data !
    3. go to Wipe -> Swipe to Factory Reset
    4. wipe Vendor & System partitions
    5. copy LOS-15.1 ROM & GApps to Internal/External Storage
    6. go to Install -> check the LOS zip file
    7. Add more Zips
    8. check GApps zip file
    9. Swipe to confirm Flash
    10. Wait a bit until you'll see : "
    - Installation complete!
    - Unmounting partitions
    Updating partitions details ...
    ... done
    11. Wipe Cache/Dalvik -> Swipe to Wipe
    12. If your device it's BTV-W09 please install now boot_w09_oreo_xxx.img
    ( Install -> Install Image -> choose "boot_w09_oreo_xxx.img" -> Select Partition to Flash Image: Boot )
    13. Reboot System
    14. Enjoy!

What's working :

* Touchscreen
    * Audio & Video
    * Wi-Fi
    * Bluetooth
    * GPS
    * Lights
    * Notification light
    * Sensors
    * Internal/External Storage
    * ADB/MTP & USB/OTG
    * Off-mode Charging
    * RIL & LTE data connection
    * HWComposer
    * Camera
    * DRM enabled ( the same Level L3 like on Stock EMUI Firmware )
    * Fingerprint scanner
    * Hardware Video Decoder

Not working :

* SELinux Disabled; ( won't be enabled anytime soon )
    * Encryption; ( won't be fixed anytime soon )
    * Cast - not working
    * there may be others minor issues like camera not fully working and so on

Credits :

LineageOS Team

Source :

kernel: android_kernel_huawei_btv Branch: oreo !

Screenshots :

Screenshot-20200424-154832-Trebuchet.png
    Screenshot-20200424-154951-Trebuchet.png

Screenshot-20201025-100456-Settings.png

Contributors
    surdu_petru
    Paypal Donation : paypal.me/petrusurdu1
    Source Code: https://github.com/Huawei-Dev?tab=repositories

ROM OS Version: Android 8.1/Oreo
    ROM Kernel: Linux 4.4.x
    ROM Firmware Required: Stock Android N - EMUI 5.x
    Based On: LineageOS

Version Information
    Stable

Project Status
    EOL

Created 2020-04-19
    Last Updated 2022-01-05
    New Update LOS 15.1 !

Hello !

There is a new update of LineageOS 15.1 for our device ... like always, please check OP for downloads !

Changelog:
    • update security patch to : January 5, 2021
    • kernel updated to 4.4.130
    • fixed microSD format issues
    • partially fixed Hardware video decoder by using Huawei video codecs
    • set default cfq ioscheduler instead raw

Screenshot-20210117-120701-Settings.png
    The new kernel 4.4.0 it's coming soon !

Hi !

I was able to successfully update the kernel from stock 4.1.18 to 4.4.0 without to break anything !

Currently the kernel is on 4.3.0 but there are very few patches ( I think around 1000 new patches need to be added to the over 14,000 already added ) left to add up to 4.4.0, so I allowed myself to do a simulation for 4.4.0 to see if our device really boots with this new version !

I hope that in a week we will have here the new update with the new security patch for August and with the new kernel 4.4.0.

Later the kernel must be updated to 4.4.227, which is the latest version today :)

Screenshot-20200815-134342-Settings.png
    Hi !

After almost 2 weeks I managed to pass the wifi kernel issues, and now I can continue update my kernel to Linux kernel 4.4 Android Oreo .

Next release/update of LOS 15.1 with the new kernel in a few days along with a new security patch for July 5, 2020 :)
    TWRP 3.3.1-0

TWRP 3.3.1-0

You need this new TWRP in order to flash Lineage OS 15.1 !

Must be installed only on Android N EMUI 5.x

Working on all Huawei MediaPad M3 8.4 with Android N EMUI 5.x !

Download :

twrp-3.3.1-0.img md5: 984779bc7af812eb1b3e67e197732dbc

Installation :

adb reboot bootloader

fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.3.1-0.img

fastboot reboot

You need to FORMAT Data in order to decrypt /data, you need this step because LineageOS 15.1 do not have implemented right now encryption/decryption support !