FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

OEMINFO collection

149 posts
Thanks Meter: 44

By Slavon-93, Senior Member on 13th December 2016, 03:01 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hello everyone. I have an idea: let's share our oeminfo?

What is oeminfo?

Oeminfo is a partition in Huawei devices that defines what regional settings will be applied on boot.

How does it work?
No one except Huawei knows what exactly this partition contains. It can't be mounted, most likely doesn't contain files and its format is undefined.
The only thing we know is that changing its content to the one from device of another country makes your device think it's from that country.
Also we know that the device somehow reads this partiton and decides what folder from cust partiton to read and link to.

What's all that for?
As we know, Chinese manufacturers often forget to update devices from countries other than China. It makes their owners frustrate and dream of new features they'll possibly never get.

How to know what oeminfo do i have?
First of all, go to "About device" and look at build number. For example, my Russian tablet has BTV-DL09C100B005 number. BTV-DL09 is model, C100 is region my firmware belongs to and B005 is version.
At this moment we can find the newest chinese firmware, which build number is BTV-DL09C233B026. C233 is Chinese region and this firmware brings some new features to EMUI like posibility to hide navigation bar, set screen density to apps etc. Of course if your region differs from C233, you won't see this update with Update menu.
Also, you can type *#*#2846579#*#* in dialer, go to Network Information Query and then to Vendor Country info. My device shows Vendor: hw, Country: ru.

How to backup oeminfo?

I know 3 ways:
1) With TWRP backup feature
2) With dd from TWRP adb shell
3) With ES Explorer.

1) Backup with TWRP is easy and doesn't need an explanation.
2) To backup with dd go to TWRP, connect your device to the computer, type adb shell in command line and you'll be in TWRP console.
Now type dd if=/dev/block/platrofm/hi_mci.0/by-name/oeminfo of=/sdcard/oeminfo.img and you'll get a byte-to-byte copy of oeminfo partition in internal storage.
3) To backup with ES Explorer, you'll need root access. If you have if, go to /dev/block/platrofm/hi_mci.0/by-name/ and copy oeminfo to another place.

I don't know which way is the most correct, but owners of another Huawei devices change oeminfo with ES Explorer and sometimes dd.

So, what do you, guys, think? If someone has Chinese DL09 with C233 region, please, share your oeminfo, so other people could get updates.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slavon-93 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Slavon-93 Ad-Free

13th December 2016, 04:22 PM |#2  
Flag Aix en Provence
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Wow, great post full of great info...
Just for the sake of trying, I successfully copied my oeminfo file as you advise from /dev/... to SDcard, using ES Explorer in root mode.
For everyone's info that's a mighty 64MB file... my case is vendor=hw, country=eu.

One innocent question: say we get a Chinese oeminfo somehow, how to be sure that swapping around those files in /dev/... directory won't brick the device? (or turn the display to unreadable pinyin characters...)
13th December 2016, 04:33 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Moscow

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolo83560

Wow, great post full of great info...
One innocent question: say we get a Chinese oeminfo somehow, how to be sure that swapping around those files in /dev/... directory won't brick the device? (or turn the display to unreadable pinyin characters...)

Well, this method of switching regions is used on many huawei devices like Mate 8, Honor 6, P8 lite, Mediapad M2, Mediapad X2, etc. I can't garantee that it works on M3, but I don't think it's something completely different from other devices where this method works. Anyway, at this moment I want to collect these files from different regions and see if they're at least similar. Its size is really 64MB and it's OK. I also would make a dd backup just in case something goes wrong.

P.S. what's your build number? I'd like to know if other countries have more recent firmware than Russia, cause the reason of all this messing around is just getting as more updates as possible.
13th December 2016, 05:57 PM |#4  
Flag Aix en Provence

More
Quote:

P.S. what's your build number? I'd like to know if other countries have more recent firmware than Russia, cause the reason of all this messing around is just getting as more updates as possible.

it's BTV-DL09C100B003
by the way I also uploaded my oeminfo file up there so you can play around.... (click the "Valider et telecharger le fichier" button in the middle).
Let us know how it goes...
13th December 2016, 10:34 PM |#5  
Flag Adelaide
Thanks Meter: 24

More
Got mine through a gray import, and looks like it is a Chinese version:
Model No: BTV-W09
Build No: BTV-W09C233B019

Device not rooted yet and waiting for availability of official recovery before installing TWRP.

Device did have a lot of Chinese app (since uninstalled) but no real issue switching language to English on first boot up. Had to select English (UK) before I can use Australia as region. Selecting English (US) did not give Australia as a country as an option.

Have also replaced the EMUI with stock standard Google interface.
14th December 2016, 10:44 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
I am not rooting mine yet but my

Modelnumber: BTV-W09
Build Number: BTF-W09C100B003

bought mine officially in Austria
14th December 2016, 10:53 AM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Moscow

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rling

Got mine through a gray import, and looks like it is a Chinese version:
Model No: BTV-W09
Build No: BTV-W09C233B019

What's different from DL09? Wi-Fi only, no SIM? Is there anything interesting in Settings? Does it see any OTA?
14th December 2016, 11:44 AM |#8  
Flag Aix en Provence

More
Hi,
from Huawei's specifications page, indeed seems only two models have been released: DL09 (L as LTE) and W09 (W as WIFI).
DL being the same as W with cellphone "Network" features added, i.e. GSM, UMTS, LTE, etc.
Availability of the LTE seems to depend on region, whereas the (cheaper) WIFI model is available everywhere.
eg. in EU we have both, whereas it seems they only get the W in the US.
14th December 2016, 12:00 PM |#9  

More
BTV-DL09
BTV-DL09C100B003

Bought in Germany (LTE Version).
14th December 2016, 10:29 PM |#10  
Flag Adelaide

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slavon-93

What's different from DL09? Wi-Fi only, no SIM? Is there anything interesting in Settings? Does it see any OTA?

WiFi only. Only had one OTA and that was when I first turned it on. No current update in settings.
The Following User Says Thank You to rling For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift rling Ad-Free
16th December 2016, 02:31 AM |#11  
Flag Bangalore
Thanks Meter: 145

More
This is important stuff since it may help us unlock the 5 GHz WiFi which is disabled in the US versions.

I have been searching and I have found https://pan.baidu.com/s/1nuUWTo1 contains the fastboot roms for the chinese versions this has 4 files boot recovery cust and system

in my preliminary analysis I see that boot and recovery are signed and the signature block is 4K
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
dl09, huawei, oeminfo

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)