Video output

Search This thread

Bladefs

Dec 21, 2010
Hi I intend to get one of the M5 Pr's but I have one question before doing that.
I come from a NVidia Shield K1 and so I'm used to have the Tab connected via HDMI for watching vids in Hotels.
So is it possible to use an USB-C -> HDMI adapter with the M5 Pro?

Thanks in advance.

5m4r7ph0n36uru

Apr 23, 2014
MD5: 91497e1b11f2262d0d8ff0aa7a164f3b
Hi I intend to get one of the M5 Pr's but I have one question before doing that.
I come from a NVidia Shield K1 and so I'm used to have the Tab connected via HDMI for watching vids in Hotels.

Thanks in advance.
Will check later today and report back mate.

Sent from my HTC U11 using XDA Labs

kev1807

Jan 17, 2011
Heidelberg
Can you please post the used Adapter for it, if it works. I tried at the office with an LG 21:9 Display and am not sure, whether the resolution was too much, whether the adapter did not work, or whether it is not supported :D

5m4r7ph0n36uru

Apr 23, 2014
MD5: 91497e1b11f2262d0d8ff0aa7a164f3b
I found an article on notebookcheck.com. They tested the normal M5 Pad and found that HDMI is not possible.

What was your outcome with the Pro Model?

Gesendet von meinem VKY-L09 mit Tapatalk
Didn't get it to run as of yet. But I've another connector and an App installed. Will check this evening again. Am out in the sun at the moment.

Edit 04/23: sorry for being late on here. Didn't have the time to check yesterday, but promise that I will have this evening for sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bladefs

thref23

Jul 27, 2007
There is this line in the Vendor build.prop file:

ro.hdmi.service=false

Might be worth experimenting with.

Thanks in advance.

hey i also switched from a shield k1 but went the normal m5 and its a great switch mate but as for streaming mate you could a chromcast or a cheap android dongle/box from ebay which would work fine, i know its not what your after but it is a work around mate

Bladefs

Dec 21, 2010
hey i also switched from a shield k1 but went the normal m5 and its a great switch mate but as for streaming mate you could a chromcast or a cheap android dongle/box from ebay which would work fine, i know its not what your after but it is a work around mate

thanks for your answer, but this would not help since amazon is not working with chromecast in offline mode. But it is similar to the answer someone gave on Android-Hilfe.de :)

Obveron

Jul 31, 2013
Reading in other Huawei sections, seems no others support mhl or slimport. So I don't think it's capable of video output.

toycar69

Aug 9, 2011
Exeter
So what would be the options for outputting video to a TV screen? I've always used a micro HDMI cable on my current (old!) Tesco Hudl2 tablet, but if cabled connections aren't available, what is the wireless format to use? Miracast or Chromecast don't seem to support all video formats and I'm not sure the quality would be as good as HDMI cable.

alvinlwh

Dec 14, 2017
Kirkwall
So what would be the options for outputting video to a TV screen? I've always used a micro HDMI cable on my current (old!) Tesco Hudl2 tablet, but if cabled connections aren't available, what is the wireless format to use? Miracast or Chromecast don't seem to support all video formats and I'm not sure the quality would be as good as HDMI cable.

I think Miracast (not sure if supported on M5) always work because it is mirror what is on the device screen to the big screen? But it drains your battery fast because the screen must be on at the same time.

toycar69

Aug 9, 2011
Exeter
I think Miracast (not sure if supported on M5) always work because it is mirror what is on the device screen to the big screen? But it drains your battery fast because the screen must be on at the same time.

Thank you. I've checked, and the M5 does support Miracast (Wifi Direct). I've been trying to test the quality of Miracast using my current phone (S7 Edge) and various receivers, and from what I've seen so far, it doesn't look good enough to play locally stored movies at 1080p or 720p without lag / stuttering.
Chromecast might be an alternative as this sends the compressed file data and not the screen, but as far as I can see this supports only limited container types and codecs. Most of my movie files are MKV, which isn't supported, and some have dolby audio which again isn't supported.
Disappointing, as a quality video out is the only thing missing from the M5 for my current use.

Reactions: gkou113

kev1807

Jan 17, 2011
Heidelberg
I just bought a Chromecast and I am thinking of returning it ...
I can mirror my desktop mode from the m5 Pro via "Connect" in winodws 10 to my computer but not to my Chromecast ...
what the f.....?? -.-

alvinlwh

Dec 14, 2017
Kirkwall

Amexo

Oct 25, 2019
DONT!!! Buy from good companies. Wifi problems, no android 10, no dark mode, no headphone jack ....

ahkittt

Nov 16, 2019
Hi guys -- I tired with the m5 version -- doesn't work! I personally have a Matebook x pro and a mate 20 --both worked on a projection! -- So lets hope the put in an update soon ?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I found an article on notebookcheck.com. They tested the normal M5 Pad and found that HDMI is not possible.

What was your outcome with the Pro Model?

Gesendet von meinem VKY-L09 mit Tapatalk
    Didn't get it to run as of yet. But I've another connector and an App installed. Will check this evening again. Am out in the sun at the moment.

Edit 04/23: sorry for being late on here. Didn't have the time to check yesterday, but promise that I will have this evening for sure.

Thank you. I've checked, and the M5 does support Miracast (Wifi Direct). I've been trying to test the quality of Miracast using my current phone (S7 Edge) and various receivers, and from what I've seen so far, it doesn't look good enough to play locally stored movies at 1080p or 720p without lag / stuttering.
    Chromecast might be an alternative as this sends the compressed file data and not the screen, but as far as I can see this supports only limited container types and codecs. Most of my movie files are MKV, which isn't supported, and some have dolby audio which again isn't supported.
    Disappointing, as a quality video out is the only thing missing from the M5 for my current use.