FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Pro 5 ubuntu edition system dump and flashing Flyme on it...

52 posts
Thanks Meter: 13

By mobilezonerm, Member on 23rd May 2016, 05:33 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi, i have from a couple of day the ubuntu edition of pro 5, for various reason i want to run android on it and also make an image of system to give the opportunity for android users to get the ubuntu experience... any help?
- i have flashed the recovery from canonical (recovery-turbo) with unlocked ADB
- i can access to fastboot and to adb trough recovery
- i have make a map of partitions (ls -al /dev/block/platform/*/by-name)
- i have try to copy the system to sd card ( dd if=/dev/block/sda41 <--- system partition of=/media/F49C-xxxx <--- my sdcard) but it not find the sd
- on the side of android flash i think that the procedure on this post maybe ok http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...53&postcount=3 but the software (MultiUpgrade 4.8.5) fail to start
- ever for android flash, i have also think to put a complete update.zip to the root of device but the / folder is read only system.

Any help for both purpose are welcome
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mobilezonerm For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mobilezonerm Ad-Free

26th May 2016, 06:50 AM |#2  
OP Member

More
some news...
some news... i have successfuly install TWRP and maked a backup of system/data/boot if anyone want to play with backup or try to flash it i can upload it (it's a 5gb folder, tell me wich file hosting you want)
i have try after backup to flash the CM rom and some Flyme but i have always the same error: "could not find 'meta-inf/com/google/android/update-binary' in the zip file"
Any suggestion?
26th May 2016, 08:39 AM |#3  
OP Member

More
ps: if anyone has a TWRP backup of his pro 5 i can try to restore on my...
26th May 2016, 10:16 AM |#4  
Flag Valjevo
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Hi,
I also got my Meizu Pro 5 Ubuntu Edition a couple of days ago, and even I expected it to be not-so-polished, I couldn't believe the number of features missing and the number of unresolved bugs. Being a long-term Linux/Ubuntu user I will (from now on) closely watch the development process, but meanwhile I would like to use my new phone.
If you make it to flash Flyme, please share the full process.
It would be great if we could go back-and-forth Android/Ubuntu to check the progress from time to time (as Nexus can)
26th May 2016, 11:11 AM |#5  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toroman

Hi,
I also got my Meizu Pro 5 Ubuntu Edition a couple of days ago, and even I expected it to be not-so-polished, I couldn't believe the number of features missing and the number of unresolved bugs. Being a long-term Linux/Ubuntu user I will (from now on) closely watch the development process, but meanwhile I would like to use my new phone.
If you make it to flash Flyme, please share the full process.
It would be great if we could go back-and-forth Android/Ubuntu to check the progress from time to time (as Nexus can)

As we find someone that want share his TWRP backup, i think that a deep wipe and a restore from backup work...
26th May 2016, 02:28 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 19

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilezonerm

As we find someone that want share his TWRP backup, i think that a deep wipe and a restore from backup work...

In this thread there is a link:

http :// forum.xda-developers. com/meizu-pro-5/development/rom-cyanogenmod12-1-temasek-unofficial-t3358744

http :// xep.8800.org/ pro5/

But also on the Canonical site:
https ://wiki.ubuntu. com/Touch/ Devices

(Sorry for the spaces the policy doesn't allow me to post urls yet.)
The Following User Says Thank You to Pleytos For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Pleytos Ad-Free
26th May 2016, 06:01 PM |#7  
Flag Valjevo

More
I somehow thought that we can use official Flyme download from the Meizu website and the official Ubuntu turbo image without the need of installing TWRP or anything - and flash both via USB.
Functionality with TWRP would be a plus.
26th May 2016, 06:20 PM |#8  

More
Well I think you can. Press both Volume up + power button, that's the stock recovery where you can flash images from meizu. So you probably can get Flyme when you have Ubuntu, but when you want to go back I think you'll have to flash the ubuntu turbo recovery back through fastboot. I think you can go without TWRP.
26th May 2016, 07:33 PM |#9  
Flag Valjevo

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleytos

Well I think you can. Press both Volume up + power button, that's the stock recovery where you can flash images from meizu. So you probably can get Flyme when you have Ubuntu, but when you want to go back I think you'll have to flash the ubuntu turbo recovery back through fastboot. I think you can go without TWRP.

Well the power + up gives (a kind of) recovery that shows a screen with the Ubuntu logo in the center - nothing else. I believe the android version has a different recovery?
26th May 2016, 07:51 PM |#10  

More
Ah I never saw that screen. Yes Android/Flyme has a different screen: like this

You can try to to use the Ubuntu recovery to flash a Flyme Rom. I did it with TWRP, but never tried it with the Ubuntu recovery.
The Flyme Rom replaces the recovery and boots with both TWRP and the Flyme recovery, maybe even with a Ubuntu recovery (I can't image it to be that different.).

Edit:
You might want to back up your current recovery. I just flashed the recovery from Canonicals website, and its just the English/Chinese Flyme one.
26th May 2016, 09:24 PM |#11  
OP Member

More
just a moment... thank's Pleytos, but we need the TWRP backup folder... on yours link there are the CM rom and on the Canonica site there are only the update.zip....

Keep in mind, also the partitons are different on Pro 5 Ubuntu, for this the best is to have the entire backup of an android phone, both CM rom and Update.zip are not flashable by TWRP (i have try)

and Toroman the recovery that you see is the original recovery, if you flash the recovery on Canonical website you have the screen posted by Pleytos BUT with this recovery you obtain only the unlock of ADB in recovery and, as you can read from the screenshoot to make an update you have to put a "update.zip" on root directory of the phone that, unfortunally in ubuntu edition, is read-only file system... i have just unlock it from linux terminal with a "remount,rw" but if you try to copy update.zip (many versions) to root fonder there aren't space enough...

I've make lot of try in this day and i have find two possible solutions:

- flash a rom with MultiUpgrade 4.8.5 (official software used by Meizu, that not start because some token is missing)
as reported in a big russian forum

- make a total erase of internal memory and rewrite it with a image from android Pro 5 phone (TWRP Backup)
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)