FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[How To] From Android to Ubuntu - Meizu 5 Pro

41 posts
Thanks Meter: 19

By Pleytos, Member on 10th June 2016, 06:22 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
It looks like it's not a very successful guide. Better not use it I guess.

How to get from the Android to Ubuntu on the Meizu 5 Pro.

Here is a little guide of how I installed/returned to Ubuntu after installing Android on my Meizu 5 Pro Ubuntu edition.

My desktop pc is running Ubuntu, so these commands are for the Ubuntu terminal. But should be very similar on Windows, probably.

First, install ADB and Fastboot on your pc :
Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install fastboot adb
Connect the Meizu phone to your pc with a usb cable. Then power up the Meizu 5 Pro with both the power button and volume down.

Type:
Code:
sudo fastboot devices
If all went well you’ll see a screen with an number/letter combination with the text fastboot behind it, and the Meizu logo.

Now download TWRP_3.0_m86.img from http://xep.8800.org/pro5/.

With the next command you are going to flash TWRP custom recovery to your phone.

Code:
sudo fastboot flash recovery TWRP_3.0_m86.img
This should be done pretty fast. Power off your phone, and restart it with volume up and power button both pressed.

If all went well you’ll see a screen like this:

Your recovery is set. . You’ll see the Team Win Recovery Project if correct.

Do a full wipe:
- go to settings and select "use rm -f instead to formatting"
- Got to wipe -> advanced wipe and select all except the last/bottom one, and swipe to wipe.

Now check to see if ADB devices works correctly
Code:
sudo adb devices
List of devices attached 
0123456789ABCDEF	device
If not restart adb by typing adb kill-server, and the restart adb with the sudo adb devices command.

Download the Canonical recovery-turbo, recovery.img, form:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/Devices

And install ubuntu device flash program :
Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-device-flash
Now here comes the harder part. Open 2 terminals, you’ll see later why.

Now go back to the recovery on your phone. Go to Mount, and mount the system partion. And be sure it looks like this:
With three checkmarks.

Now type, BUT DO NOT PRESS ENTER, in the first terminal window:
Code:
sudo fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
And leave it there for later.

Then in the second terminal window, you are gonna use the ubuntu device flash program with this command:
Code:
sudo ubuntu-device-flash touch --channel=ubuntu-touch/stable/meizu.en --device turbo
If everything is alright, this command will first download files, than start pushing them to your phone, and will end with this message:
Code:
Rebooting into recovery to flash
You will have to be quite quick because you’ll need to intercept this. When you see this message you will need to press volume down + power button at once, so you can go to the fastboot screen.
Now you will have to use the second terminal to use this command:
Code:
sudo fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
When done you need to manually turn the phone into recovery mode by pressing volume up + power button. It is really important that you reach the recovery mode. If you reach the normal boot mode you will have to run the ubuntu device command from the beginning. You will not see the recovery screen if you reach the recovery mode. The screen turns black and will be like this for a little bit of time.
The screen wil go black, that’s normal. Wait a 5-10 minutes, and if everything is alright you’ll see a FlymeOS recovery. That is normal and good. Now power the phone off and on again, and if everything happened like it did on my phone, Ubuntu starts.

Now you can enjoy Ubuntu on your phone. You should have a white Meizu Powered by Ubuntu screen and an orange Ubuntu recovery logo, but sometimes it doesn't come in the first install. From my experience you will need to run the command one more time from a different channel, and this will be fixed aswell.

You can also use the Release candidate proposed channel, the software is newer.
Code:
sudo ubuntu-device-flash touch --channel=ubuntu-touch/rc-proposed/meizu.en
I will also try to make a TWRP backup image, maybe that will be easier for people with Windows PC's. But I haven't tested that yet.

Thanks to all the people on XDA and the people who made the TWRP recovery. I hope I can give something back to the community with this guide.

If you have any questions. Please ask.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pleytos For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Pleytos Ad-Free

12th June 2016, 10:31 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Thanks to all bro, i hope to flash it with recovery soon bc i have Windows
16th June 2016, 07:14 PM |#3  
OP Member

More
I tried but it doesn't seem possible. I get errors when restoring the back-up.
19th June 2016, 11:00 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 14

More
It's this working with Linux mint?
23rd June 2016, 03:06 PM |#5  

More
When I after I flash the recovery and then reboot I just get

Code:
Update failed, contact support.
Repeated in several languages. What am I doing wrong?
25th June 2016, 03:59 PM |#6  

More
I had no luck getting this method to work.

askubuntu [dot] com/questions/767323/how-to-install-ubuntu-on-meizu-pro-5-that-was-originally-with-android

The above link worked first time and can be done on any OS
25th June 2016, 07:30 PM |#7  
OP Member

More
I hope it does work for other people, but at least we have an other method now as well.

I don't know if this works with Linux Mint. You might try the other method, it's os independent.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pleytos For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Pleytos Ad-Free
26th June 2016, 09:36 PM |#8  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleytos

I hope it does work for other people, but at least we have an other method now as well.

I don't know if this works with Linux Mint. You might try the other method, it's os independent.

As far as I understood the guide on askubuntu didn't ensure ota update. In your experience you were able to download package update running the Ubuntu release?
27th June 2016, 11:06 AM |#9  
OP Member

More
I don't know, it always downloads the latest release with the ubuntu-device-flash command, and OTA update's don't come that often. So I have no experience yet.
1st July 2016, 12:59 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleytos

I don't know, it always downloads the latest release with the ubuntu-device-flash command, and OTA update's don't come that often. So I have no experience yet.

can you let me know how to installing Android on my Meizu 5 Pro Ubuntu edition ?
1st July 2016, 06:55 PM |#11  

More
I was looking at this:
https://developer.ubuntu.com/en/phon...u-for-devices/
and the procedure is slightly different from your guide.
Have you ever tried with this?
It looks that is should works on the PRO5 but I'm unsure to have understood when and how I have to flash the turbo recovery.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)