FORUMS

[TUTORIAL] Unlock the bootloader of Meizu PRO 5

24 posts
Thanks Meter: 38

By PRO5, Junior Member on 28th January 2016, 03:55 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi everybody,

UPDATE: Multiple people have confirmed that this method indeed unlocks the bootloader of the Meizu PRO 5, but only the international version.

I'm a beta tester of the international firmware of the PRO 5, meaning that I receive unofficial builds with new features before those are released as a stable firmware for normal users. I was playing around with a recent build and noticed that I was able to unlock the bootloader. I've linked the firmware in the steps below, it is not restricted to my device as far as I know. It might be restricted to the international model, but I'm not sure about that.

Please do not create mirrors of the firmware or replicate this method on other websites. If you want to share this method with people on other websites, please just re-direct them to this page.

Steps:
1. Download the firmware via MediaFire or Mega. Again: please do not mirror or hotlink this download.
2. Back-up your data. You might be able to install the firmware and unlock the bootloader without getting your data wiped, but it's better to be safe.
3. Install the update.zip firmware. I chose to wipe all data during the installation.
4. Turn the device off and long-press the power and volume-down button simultaneously until you boot into fastboot mode.
5. Make sure you installed ADB and fastboot on your PC. Check if your PC recognizes your PRO 5 in fastboot mode by using the command:
Code:
fastboot devices
6. Execute the fastboot command to unlock the bootloader:
Code:
fastboot oem unlock
Command on OSX
7. You need to re-enter fastboot mode to see if you've successfully unlocked the bootloader. You can do that by long-pressing the power and volume-down button while in fastboot mode.
8. Back in fastboot mode, the word 'locked' should now have changed to 'unlocked'. This means you've successfully unlocked the bootloader.
How fastboot mode should now look

FAQ:
Is it necessary to do a clean install when flashing this firmware?
- I only tried a clean install, but I don't think it is necessary.

Does unlocking the bootloader wipe your data?
- It didn't for me, but I can't guarantee it won't for others. Make back-ups.

Will this also work on the Chinese version of the PRO 5?
- No, it will not.

Please hit the thanks button if it worked
The Following 31 Users Say Thank You to PRO5 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift PRO5 Ad-Free
28th January 2016, 04:11 PM |#2  
Flag Crotone
Thanks Meter: 405

More
Can you post some screen of : fastboot getvar all

thx
The Following User Says Thank You to Naphtha For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Naphtha Ad-Free
28th January 2016, 06:32 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 74

More
Braaavooo

Is this working for Meizu MX5?

Sent from my MX5 using Tapatalk
28th January 2016, 10:02 PM |#4  
Flag Kiev
Thanks Meter: 15

More
Hi
Is this beta version of Global aka International version?
If true - can you provide a list of languages, maybe you have 5.6.1.26 daily?

Thanks in advance
29th January 2016, 03:48 AM |#5  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naphtha

Can you post some screen of : fastboot getvar all

thx

Doesn't show anything for me:
fastboot getvar all result

Quote:
Originally Posted by isko01

Braaavooo

Is this working for Meizu MX5?

This firmware doesn't work on MX5, but maybe you can find some beta testers for MX5 and ask them if their beta firmware also has this possibility. I don't think official firmwares will have this possibility, only the version sent to testers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-a-c-k

Hi
Is this beta version of Global aka International version?
If true - can you provide a list of languages, maybe you have 5.6.1.26 daily?

Thanks in advance

Yup, it's the global/international version and it supports all the languages: Chinese (simplified), Chinese (traditional), Chinese (traditional Hong Kong), Arabic, Bulgarian, Croatian, Czech, English (US), Estonian, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Latvian, Lithuanian, Malay, Polish, Portuguese (Brazil), Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish, Turkish and Ukrainian. Here are two photos:

The version is 5.6.1.19 daily, it's the newest version I have.
29th January 2016, 11:51 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 74

More
im using every time Beta version. wher is option to unlock bootloader??? :/

29th January 2016, 03:09 PM |#7  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyCreed

Hey, tried the same thing on my MX5 with last CBT (im a tester)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/y0fvj3jjrc...3d8df.jpg?dl=0
Pressed UP to unlock and nothing happend.

I haven't come accross this, so I'm not sure what the reason is. In my test firmware, it just works via simple terminal commands. Maybe they left this open in this build for the PRO 5 and sent it to me without realizing it. The download link they initially sent me is now offline, so they've probably realized it. I checked previous builds and it doesn't work in those versions, so I think this was a one-time-thing and won't be possible in other builds on any device. Nonetheless, PRO 5 users can now unlock their bootloader by flashing this firmware and then unlocking it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by isko01

im using every time Beta version. wher is option to unlock bootloader??? :/

Are you using an open beta from Meizu's website, or are you in Meizu's private testing group which receives unofficial builds, like I am for the PRO 5? Even if you are in the testing group, all I can say is that it works for PRO 5, it might not be the same with the unofficial builds the MX5 testing group receives.
29th January 2016, 07:40 PM |#8  
Flag Tromso
Thanks Meter: 318

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRO5

I haven't come accross this, so I'm not sure what the reason is. In my test firmware, it just works via simple terminal commands. Maybe they left this open in this build for the PRO 5 and sent it to me without realizing it. The download link they initially sent me is now offline, so they've probably realized it. I checked previous builds and it doesn't work in those versions, so I think this was a one-time-thing and won't be possible in other builds on any device. Nonetheless, PRO 5 users can now unlock their bootloader by flashing this firmware and then unlocking it.

Are you using an open beta from Meizu's website, or are you in Meizu's private testing group which receives unofficial builds, like I am for the PRO 5? Even if you are in the testing group, all I can say is that it works for PRO 5, it might not be the same with the unofficial builds the MX5 testing group receives.

There is no global beta, and Meizu said there won't be one before mid of February the earliest.

Are you 100% certain that it's a leaked beta? Or could it also be a leaked engineering firmware, so a pre beta or similar?
29th January 2016, 08:21 PM |#9  
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter: 69

More
Have you tried to do anything to test and see if your phone really does indeed have an unlocked boatloader?
The Following User Says Thank You to showofdeth For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift showofdeth Ad-Free
29th January 2016, 08:24 PM |#10  
Flag Crotone
Thanks Meter: 405

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUltrametricSpace

There is no global beta, and Meizu said there won't be one before mid of February the earliest.

Are you 100% certain that it's a leaked beta? Or could it also be a leaked engineering firmware, so a pre beta or similar?

@PRO5
Hey man unpack your firmware and flash your recovery from fastboot. If work is unlocked (or semi-unlocked).

Inviato dal mio MX4 utilizzando Tapatalk
29th January 2016, 09:48 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 80

More
Can't be used with "A" version :
- update.zip => corrupted firmware (means not matching)
- manual update => denied
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	adb.png
Views:	1478
Size:	14.1 KB
ID:	3627163  
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)