UPDATE: Multiple people have confirmed that this method indeed unlocks the bootloader of the Meizu PRO 5, but only the international version.
I'm a beta tester of the international firmware of the PRO 5, meaning that I receive unofficial builds with new features before those are released as a stable firmware for normal users. I was playing around with a recent build and noticed that I was able to unlock the bootloader. I've linked the firmware in the steps below, it is not restricted to my device as far as I know. It might be restricted to the international model, but I'm not sure about that.
Please do not create mirrors of the firmware or replicate this method on other websites. If you want to share this method with people on other websites, please just re-direct them to this page.
1. Download the firmware via MediaFire or Mega. Again: please do not mirror or hotlink this download.
2. Back-up your data. You might be able to install the firmware and unlock the bootloader without getting your data wiped, but it's better to be safe.
3. Install the update.zip firmware. I chose to wipe all data during the installation.
4. Turn the device off and long-press the power and volume-down button simultaneously until you boot into fastboot mode.
5. Make sure you installed ADB and fastboot on your PC. Check if your PC recognizes your PRO 5 in fastboot mode by using the command:
fastboot oem unlock
7. You need to re-enter fastboot mode to see if you've successfully unlocked the bootloader. You can do that by long-pressing the power and volume-down button while in fastboot mode.
8. Back in fastboot mode, the word 'locked' should now have changed to 'unlocked'. This means you've successfully unlocked the bootloader.
Is it necessary to do a clean install when flashing this firmware?
- I only tried a clean install, but I don't think it is necessary.
Does unlocking the bootloader wipe your data?
- It didn't for me, but I can't guarantee it won't for others. Make back-ups.
Will this also work on the Chinese version of the PRO 5?
- No, it will not.
Please hit the thanks button if it worked