Asus MeMO 7 (me176cx)

Search This thread

jerbear294

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 9, 2013
Google Pixel 4a
I'm suppose to go through all that just to get to the point of flashing the other ROM? The chances of me ever getting this done are -0%.
It's the worst-case scenario, see if just flashing it normally works first.

Why is there firmware for Android 5.0 on this page? https://www.asus.com/Tablets/ASUS_MeMO_Pad_7_ME176C/HelpDesk_BIOS/. There isn't an official way to get Android 5.0?

I didn't see that page (I was looking under ME176CX), go ahead and use the .36_KK package from that site.

Sep 30, 2018
It's the worst-case scenario, see if just flashing it normally works first.

I didn't see that page (I was looking under ME176CX), go ahead and use the .36_KK package from that site.

It will update me to Android 5.0? Also, it says this: Note1: Please make sure update software version V3.2.23.201 first before update to software version V12.10.1.36_KK.

I have V3.2.23.199. When I click "updates" it searches, but doesn't do anything else. Do you know how I get update to V3.2.23.201? And my device just did an update, too. I'm not even sure why it's not up to date.

jerbear294

Oct 9, 2013
Google Pixel 4a
It will update me to Android 5.0? Also, it says this: Note1: Please make sure update software version V3.2.23.201 first before update to software version V12.10.1.36_KK.

I have V3.2.23.199. When I click "updates" it searches, but doesn't do anything else. Do you know how I get update to V3.2.23.201? And my device just did an update, too. I'm not even sure why it's not up to date.
Yes, this will update you to 5.0, providing the UEFI bootloader needed to use custom ROMs.

Here's an archive of the .201 OTA: http://www48.zippyshare.com/v/PtRl8YI9/file.html

This is a few years old, and in that time Zippyshare added quite a few advertisements that mimic download buttons, you should use an adblocker on this site if you aren't already.

Sep 30, 2018
Yes, this will update you to 5.0, providing the UEFI bootloader needed to use custom ROMs.

Here's an archive of the .201 OTA: http://www48.zippyshare.com/v/PtRl8YI9/file.html

This is a few years old, and in that time Zippyshare added quite a few advertisements that mimic download buttons, you should use an adblocker on this site if you aren't already.

But is there a reason I cannot get this update through ASUS, considering they say I need it? How do I install this one that you linked to?

jerbear294

Oct 9, 2013
Google Pixel 4a

Sep 30, 2018
they are pretty detailed.. step by step, the only part that doesnt say what to do is if you dont have the drivers, which you need to install.. other than its literally step-by-step

Even the author of those instructions said this in the thread: Generic Instructions for use better instructions coming later just wanted to get the thread up. And they never updated the post. I've seen instructions for flashing a ROM with TWRP that looked a lot simpler than this. What exactly am I flashing? Is there a name for it? It's a software update. Is this a standard way for installing a software update for your device?

Ruben Craveiro

Feb 18, 2015
Lisboa
Even the author of those instructions said this in the thread: Generic Instructions for use better instructions coming later just wanted to get the thread up. And they never updated the post. I've seen instructions for flashing a ROM with TWRP that looked a lot simpler than this. What exactly am I flashing? Is there a name for it? It's a software update. Is this a standard way for installing a software update for your device?
It's simply because this device does not have an official way of unlocking the bootloader, you need to boot this twrp first, its a temporary recovery which should allow to then flash the custom ESP and Recovery (a permanent twrp), which then you can simply flash whatever you want, this being the Los14.1 or whatever...
Other than that, its specific at how you can get it to work, and its a one time thing if you just then flash the esp + recovery partitions

glastolover27

Dec 17, 2013
Not sure I'll be in luck as this thread seems to not have any posts for over a year, but just in case... can anyone help, I think I've bricked my K013 ME176CX!!

Was trying to install custom ROM as per here:
https://xdaforums.com/memo-pad-7/orig-development/rom-unofficial-lineageos-16-0-asus-memo-t3929600

Did step 2 to unlock bootloader (flashed EFI System Partition (ESP)), and then I got t the weird UEFI BIOS screen as per this post:
https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=61108398&postcount=2077

I now cannot do anything (as this poster says) other than move up and down the menus, can't select anything, have no way to restart the tablet to get back to recovery or anything. Have tried plugging a USB keyboard and mouse in via OTG cable, but no luck with that.

Can anyone help?!?! If not, I fear this tablet will have to go in the bin.

:(

Thanks!

Not sure I'll be in luck as this thread seems to not have any posts for over a year, but just in case... can anyone help, I think I've bricked my K013 ME176CX!!

Was trying to install custom ROM as per here:
https://xdaforums.com/memo-pad-7/orig-development/rom-unofficial-lineageos-16-0-asus-memo-t3929600

Did step 2 to unlock bootloader (flashed EFI System Partition (ESP)), and then I got t the weird UEFI BIOS screen as per this post:
https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=61108398&postcount=2077

I now cannot do anything (as this poster says) other than move up and down the menus, can't select anything, have no way to restart the tablet to get back to recovery or anything. Have tried plugging a USB keyboard and mouse in via OTG cable, but no luck with that.

Can anyone help?!?! If not, I fear this tablet will have to go in the bin.

Thanks!

No, do'nt use the bin ... :)

Maybe the cause of your problem is this?
https://xdaforums.com/memo-pad-7/or...er-me176c-boot-asus-memo-pad-7-t3780225/page5
post #41 and #42.
The Intel bios logo is because there is no more OS installed.

But you still have fastboot mode, called fastboot DNX (fastboot #1 #2 #3)

Here you read about the solution:
https://xdaforums.com/memo-pad-7/orig-development/rom-unofficial-lineageos-14-1-asus-memo-t3633341
At the first page of this thread read at 'Troubleshooting > Recovery how to get the original Fastboot Mode.
If needed or when errors you can always start the Fastboot Mode with te given two commands.

Needed for flashing: look at Installation, line 3.
Now you can flash stock and custom roms.

Also helpfull: https://xdaforums.com/android/development/intel-android-devices-root-temp-cwm-t2975096.

So, you can revive your tablet one way or the other, by trying, repeating (may be over and over), patience en carefully reading all steps.

All credits for the devs and posters respectively!

Last edited:
Reactions: glastolover27

glastolover27

Dec 17, 2013
Wow, thanks for the reply. Was thinking I wouldn't get any! Fortunately I still have the device (bin file not used yet!) and to my surprise it has not even run out of battery, still sitting at BIOS screen when I got it out of the drawer and woke it up. Had a quick look at the links you provided, and I think there is new info there that I haven't tried. I will have a look over the weekend, and fingers crossed I might still be able to revive the trusty old ME176C!!! Will let you know how I get on, thanks again...

Wow, thanks for the reply. Was thinking I wouldn't get any! Fortunately I still have the device (bin file not used yet!) and to my surprise it has not even run out of battery, still sitting at BIOS screen when I got it out of the drawer and woke it up. Had a quick look at the links you provided, and I think there is new info there that I haven't tried. I will have a look over the weekend, and fingers crossed I might still be able to revive the trusty old ME176C!!! Will let you know how I get on, thanks again...
To be honest: I'm not a dev but a normal user and faced the same problem as you. Besides the given links (credit to the posters), I read a lot from members like @lambdadroid, @jerbear294 and @Ruben Craveiro, for example. The discussed al lot about this.

Maybe they read this post and are so kind to react. Otherwise you will be able to view all their postings via their member profile.
I am sure you will succeed!

Last edited:

glastolover27

Dec 17, 2013
Oh dear, I think I have properly broken it now. When I first looked at the links provided, I tried the "hold all 3 buttons down" to get it into the "fastboot #1, #2, #3" mode and it worked. I didn't have time to look at the rest then, so I just turned it off. I left it on charge as I thought the battery must be low. Going back to it tonight, I have tried to get it back into that "fastboot #1, #2, #3" mode, and I can't. Pressing any combination of the buttons makes the black screen start to flicker on, then it goes off again. Have tried for a lot of times, and it is not getting anywhere.

Guessing I might have totally damaged the firmware now if there is not even any way to get into that "fastboot #1, #2, #3" mode...

Any ideas? Or is this really just destined for the bin!!??

Oh dear, I think I have properly broken it now. When I first looked at the links provided, I tried the "hold all 3 buttons down" to get it into the "fastboot #1, #2, #3" mode and it worked. I didn't have time to look at the rest then, so I just turned it off. I left it on charge as I thought the battery must be low. Going back to it tonight, I have tried to get it back into that "fastboot #1, #2, #3" mode, and I can't. Pressing any combination of the buttons makes the black screen start to flicker on, then it goes off again. Have tried for a lot of times, and it is not getting anywhere.

Guessing I might have totally damaged the firmware now if there is not even any way to get into that "fastboot #1, #2, #3" mode...

Any ideas? Or is this really just destined for the bin!!??

First you MUST be sure that the tablet HAS powered off surely. So try this: remove the power cable, power on. When nothing happens of the tablet is waitint: push power off button and HOLD it down > it looks like it shut off, but when the screen looks black, just push the power button and release immediately. At that moment you will see that the screen goes further black (from backlight to really black); i can't explain this in English but I hope you understand what I say).
Now the tablet is really OFF.

Push the power button and volume up + volume down together; when the blacklight turns on release only the power button immediately but HOLD the volumes pressed. After some time you see fastboot #1, #2, #3. Fastboot Mode DNX is live now again.

Ruben Craveiro

Feb 18, 2015
Lisboa
First you MUST be sure that the tablet HAS powered off surely. So try this: remove the power cable, power on. When nothing happens of the tablet is waitint: push power off button and HOLD it down > it looks like it shut off, but when the screen looks black, just push the power button and release immediately. At that moment you will see that the screen goes further black (from backlight to really black); i can't explain this in English but I hope you understand what I say).
Now the tablet is really OFF.

Push the power button and volume up + volume down together; when the blacklight turns on release only the power button immediately but HOLD the volumes pressed. After some time you see fastboot #1, #2, #3. Fastboot Mode DNX is live now again.
Just some extra info, when it is done, you should then do the following:

fastboot flash osloader efilinux.efi
fastboot boot droidboot.img

Should get it to the normal fastboot area and allow recovery to be booted (temporary recovery or the permanent one if you have TWRP and reinstall of stock/lineage roms).

EDIT: As many people said, it's really difficult to brick this tablet, you could even do a full dd backup of all partitions and simply install a whole different OS and restore it later on if you wanted to..
The only thing that stops us a bit, is the drivers, which seem to be getting better and better (example our ArchLinux, mostly working except for a few things), I honestly think its amazing how much community support this tablet has been given, I would never Imagine a few years ago that I would ever leave Asus OS ZenUI and now I'm literaly running Lineage OS 16 although for me it doesnt seem very smooth, for my uses it works fine. (Taking advantage of an x86 cpu and using the tablet as a TeamSpeak3 Server exclusively).

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    me176c

Is there any way to go back to WW from CN? Cause the play store doesn't seem to work now

its a litle complicated becouse when you try to sideloade ww version it gives error for not having inough space. So you need to give command to recovery to instal zip from location you want.
    1. root with rootzenfone.apk
    2. turn on usb debuging
    3. download ww rom and rename it update.zip
    4. download es or some other file menager that has root access.
    5. go to / (root) and manualy copy update.zip to /data folder
    6. open ADB and type line by line:

adb remount
    adb shell
    su
    echo 'boot-recovery ' > /cache/recovery/command
    echo '--update_package=/data/update.zip' >> /cache/recovery/command
    echo '--wipe_cache' >> /cache/recovery/command
    echo 'reboot' >> /cache/recovery/command
    reboot recovery

after this your device will reboot to recovery and automaticly instal ww rom. :)
    Interesting, what other form is there for them?

Sent from my i708Q using Tapatalk

I originally wrote an script/update.zip that is ran through the tethered twrp that generates an emergency PFT (Phone Flash Tool) package, then installed the .efi bootloader into the esp partition, and then would generate a twrp recovery from the devices stock recovery and then flash the generated twrp.img.

unfortunately some devices / some versions of the tethered recovery concept didn't like the scripting and would error on md5 checking so i scrapped that and am working on making it into an actual app that will also check if a device meets the requirements of the insecure bootloader to try to make it as safe as possible for unconfirmed devices.

Actually, I wouldn't recommend fastboot for this, I'd use dd. The only problem with that is if you don't know the partition numbers you can brick your device.

if you want i can send you a update-binary script that will do the flashing of the images through the tethered recovery instead of having to manually dd the images. i would like to eliminate and chance of bricking a device.
    Yep, with the insecure bootloader we can now flash a custom ROM
    @social-design-concepts is also working on Cyanogenmod 12.1 (I believe)

CM-12.1 and Android-M
    @jerbear294 I think hope to and really hoping to have something to test by the end of the weekend latest.

After tonights build I should have a better idea.
    And there is link http://d-h.st/1MK
    It is working!

Послато са K013