Official ROM for AT&T ASUS MeMo Pad 7 LTE (me375cl aka K00X) and root on Lollipop

Search This thread

johnkirchner

Aug 14, 2010
Montana
Flashing Factory Image

The following instructions worked for me when trying to reflash the factory firmware for the ATT Asus MemoPad 7 LTE (ME375CL). I did originally try using the Asus Flash Tool and the raw firmware file (link below) but the tool said it could not unzip the package for some reason or another. So the steps below show how I did it using ADB with fastboot.

I ASSUME NO LIABILITY SHOULD THIS GO WRONG FOR YOU! However, it probably shouldn't matter if you are bricked, I doubt it will make it any worse :p Either way, I will not replace your tablet or be responsible for troubleshooting it should you mess it up more...

This scenario is based on the tablet stuck on the Asus boot screen and not going any further. I was trying some in depth rooting attempts and bricked it badly. I was then trying to install a custom recovery and that is why I could not reset it and bricked it.

PRE-REQS:
1. ADB installed - Download: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0fKccJIuWsna04wMjY1eG9YREU
2. Asus Drivers installed
3. Firmware - Download: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0fKccJIuWsnWGhwYzA0Vkluc2s (file is 1 Gb + in size, may take a bit)

SETUP:
If you already have a working ADB setup, do not download the one above. If you are using the one above, I extracted the folder into my C: drive, so the path for ADB would be C:\adb (to keep it simple and less typing).

MAKE SURE THE ASUS DRIVERS ARE INSTALLED! If you have plugged the tablet in to a pc before, they should already be there. Otherwise search, download and install the appropriate drivers.

INSTRUCTIONS:

Extract the firmware zip file to somewhere easily accessible like your desktop. In there, you should see the boot.img, recovery.img and system.img files, copy/paste those files to your ADB folder (for easier typing later on). There are also additional files like these but start with "unsigned_", do NOT use those!

1. Ensure you probably have at least 30% battery charge, I would still recommend more though.

2. Put the tablet in Fastboot mode by ensuring the tablet is completely powered down and then press/hold the VOLUME UP and POWER keys at the same time. When the Asus screen appears, let go of the POWER button but continue to hold the VOLUME UP button. Let go of the VOLUME UP button when the fastboot screen appears.

3. Plug the tablet in to the computer and then open a CMD prompt as administrator.

4. The following uses the ADB downloaded and placed in the folder as listed above, you may need to adjust the location path as needed if you already have ADB installed or located in a different path.

Type in the following without the quotes: "cd c:\adb" (this will change the path to the ADB files for the CMD prompt)

Type in the following without the quotes: "fastboot devices" (you should then see a device listed)

Type in the following without the quotes: "fastboot flash recovery recovery.img" (flashes the factory recovery image)

Type in the following without the quotes: "fastboot flash system system.img" (flashes the factory system image, may take a while to flash)

Type in the following without the quotes: "fastboot flash boot boot.img" (flashes the factory boot image)

5. Once those 3 images have been flashed, you should have seen a message that says "OKAY" after each one. You should be fine as long as you do not have any red error messages on your tablet.

Type in the following without the quotes: "fastboot reboot" (reboots device normally)

6. If all goes well, it should now boot to the Asus screen and then go to the ATT screen. If so, it will stay on the ATT screen for a while, just wait it out. Mine took about 12-15 minutes and then it opened to the new setup screen to set the tablet up as if its new!

This is how I was able to recover my bricked tablet, hopefully it can help someone else that may run into this.

Last edited:
Reactions: kleach and Gor-

GoauldGod

Feb 24, 2017
John, thank you for the write-up. Just bought my ME375CL with 4.4.4.4.

When I try to flash the recovery partition, I get the following error:

C:\Users\Myself\Desktop\adb>fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
target reported max download size of 536870912 bytes
sending 'recovery' (11312 KB)...
OKAY [ 1.047s]
writing 'recovery'...
(bootloader) Official image.

FAILED (remote: flash_cmds error!
)
finished. total time: 2.344s

and on the tablet's screen:

FASTBOOT CMD WAITING...
RECEIVE DATA...
E:recovery flash failed!
FLASH FAILED!

RESULT: FAIL(flash_cmds error! )

I haven't tried the other commands for system.img or boot.img as I don't want to do anything out of order from the write-up. Ever run into this?

johnkirchner

Aug 14, 2010
Montana
The firmware in the download is 5.1.1, not 4.4.4. That is probably the issue. If you are running good on that, I would try rooting it instead. If you are just wanting to upgrade, you will need to have an active AT&T SIM in the tablet to upgrade over the air. I am not sure if there is a flashable upgrade or not somewhere.

Reactions: GoauldGod

GoauldGod

Feb 24, 2017
Oh ok John. I misread the title of the thread. I thought it was for updating from 4 to 5.

Quick question then: Is it possible, using the adb / fastboot tools, to backup the current 4.4.4.4 before I allow the tablet to update to Lollipop? After reading around, I understand that Lollipop can't be rooted but I have no real concern for it. But just in case I need the tablet to do something else in the future, I'd like to be able to return it to kit kat to be able to root.

johnkirchner

Aug 14, 2010
Montana
Once you upgrade to lollipop, there is no downgrading for this tablet. There really is not much development for this device. I have kind of been working on a lollipop root when I can. Between my limited time and knowledge of android, I can't promise anything.

Gor-

Feb 28, 2017
Overcoming red messages?

Dear John,

Thank you very much for your help. My device runs KitKat 4.4, I can't upgrade over the air, as I damaged my sim slot struggling to remove a stuck nano sim, which I had inserted before I realized that it required a micro sim. :eek: (I'd wrongly assumed that by now the world uses only nano).

I followed the steps above, which you wrote so clearly for lay men, thank you a lot.

The flash for recovery.img and system.img worked fine (no red error messages on device).
The flash for boot.img had a red error message.

Might you have an idea or workaround on how I can address this?

If it refuses, is it possible to factory reset?

Thank you very much again for any words of advice and kind regards.

Last edited:

johnkirchner

Aug 14, 2010
Montana
Dear John,

Thank you very much for your help. My device runs KitKat 4.4, I can't upgrade over the air, as I damaged my sim slot struggling to remove a stuck nano sim, which I had inserted before I realized that it required a micro sim. :eek: (I'd wrongly assumed that by now the world uses only nano).

I followed the steps above, which you wrote so clearly for lay men, thank you a lot.

The flash for recovery.img and system.img worked fine (no red error messages on device).

Sounds odd that it did 2 out of 3 flashes. After you flashed those and rebooted, are you still on KitKat or did it actually update to Lollipop (5.1)? I ask because I assume the system image that flashed would be the operating system.

I still want to stress that this post is for recovering a bricked tablet that will not boot at all. I would not suggest using this as a flashing upgrade as I do not know if it will truly work. If you are still on KK (even after flashing) you could try installing the Asus Flash Tool and use the raw firmware that you downloaded and try it that way. It did not work for me so that is why I used fastboot. It might work for you.

Here is a link for the Asus Flash Tool:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0fKccJIuWsndXJUa1FEbXVzTjA

Reactions: kleach and Gor-

Gor-

Feb 28, 2017
Sounds odd that it did 2 out of 3 flashes. After you flashed those and rebooted, are you still on KitKat or did it actually update to Lollipop (5.1)? I ask because I assume the system image that flashed would be the operating system.

I still want to stress that this post is for recovering a bricked tablet that will not boot at all. I would not suggest using this as a flashing upgrade as I do not know if it will truly work. If you are still on KK (even after flashing) you could try installing the Asus Flash Tool and use the raw firmware that you downloaded and try it that way. It did not work for me so that is why I used fastboot. It might work for you.

Here is a link for the Asus Flash Tool: ]

As a follow up on your question above, Tab restart stalled at a screen (after the Asus logo), presenting some options to do recovery, reboot, factory reset, etc. (factory reset did not help), and red error messages at bottom.

To the GOOD news for anyone interested. I used the Asus Flash Tool and the firmware zip for 5.1.1 (many thanks for the advice).

Note: Tool did not install correctly on Win10 pc, citing error in installing some devcon.exe or similar file (guess that may be a firewall/antivirus issue).

Flash tool took some 15 or so mins unzipping firmware, after which I saw some action on the tab. Another 15 mins, and it rebooted to the At&t logo, stayed here for another 15 mins and unraveled a whole new device on Android 5.1 :)

Last edited:

johnkirchner

Aug 14, 2010
Montana
The root works, installed without any issues and verified with a root checker!
Here is a direct download from my Drive folder: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0fKccJIuWsnN21ZbnZpc2F6b1E

1. Download the file above.
2. Extract the zip contents.
3. Plug your ME375CL tablet in to pc via usb cable.
4. Make sure you have enabled Developer Mode and allowed USB Debugging first!
5. Open the folder you extracted and double click the "Root-One-Click.cmd" file.
6. It should reboot to fastboot mode and flash the needed files and then reboot again.

You should now have root access. Verify this by installing a root checker app from the play store. Keep in mind, it may say root not installed on the first run. Sometimes it will take a moment for superuser to initially run or prompt for access.

Side note: the root uninstall did not seem to work, got an error...but oh well, the point is to have root!

Thanks go to @little_pindos for finding this file...you are a rockstar!

johnkirchner

Aug 14, 2010
Montana
ATT Boot Up Sound

Tired of the ATT boot sound? If you used the rooting method above, then you can get rid of the annoying ATT startup sound by doing the following:

1. Install a Root Browser app (I recommend Rom Toolbox Pro, it has a built in file manager)

2. Navigate to the following path:
root/system/media

3. Find the file named "powerup.wav"

4. Simply rename the file by adding .bak to the end (ex - powerup.wav.bak)

5. Make sure it took the name change (some file managers have issues with that)

6. Reboot and see if it got rid of the sound!

You can also use your own startup sounds as long as they are in a .wav format, I believe. Make sure that the name of the file is powerup.wav.

TimmyP

Mar 5, 2008
You can also change your boot animation with "boot animation" app.

Best tweak IMO is adding "ro.config.low_ram=true" to build prop, or installing the low ram device xposed module if we can get it to work (both do the same thing). You gain about 100mb more free RAM on average.

Last edited:

Rastus

Mar 6, 2009
AT&T no longer has updates in system for this tablet

Dear John,

AT&T removed the last update for this tablet months ago and no longer supports it. ASUS states AT&T has all the updates. Total cluster.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The root works, installed without any issues and verified with a root checker!
    Here is a direct download from my Drive folder: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0fKccJIuWsnN21ZbnZpc2F6b1E

1. Download the file above.
    2. Extract the zip contents.
    3. Plug your ME375CL tablet in to pc via usb cable.
    4. Make sure you have enabled Developer Mode and allowed USB Debugging first!
    5. Open the folder you extracted and double click the "Root-One-Click.cmd" file.
    6. It should reboot to fastboot mode and flash the needed files and then reboot again.

You should now have root access. Verify this by installing a root checker app from the play store. Keep in mind, it may say root not installed on the first run. Sometimes it will take a moment for superuser to initially run or prompt for access.

Side note: the root uninstall did not seem to work, got an error...but oh well, the point is to have root!

Thanks go to @little_pindos for finding this file...you are a rockstar!
    Finaly, i find zip with official ROM on 4pda:
    4pda-ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=799982
    (put '.' (dot) instead '-' in url)
    A special thank to alexoid79 for instruction.
    Flashing Factory Image

The following instructions worked for me when trying to reflash the factory firmware for the ATT Asus MemoPad 7 LTE (ME375CL). I did originally try using the Asus Flash Tool and the raw firmware file (link below) but the tool said it could not unzip the package for some reason or another. So the steps below show how I did it using ADB with fastboot.

I ASSUME NO LIABILITY SHOULD THIS GO WRONG FOR YOU! However, it probably shouldn't matter if you are bricked, I doubt it will make it any worse :p Either way, I will not replace your tablet or be responsible for troubleshooting it should you mess it up more...

This scenario is based on the tablet stuck on the Asus boot screen and not going any further. I was trying some in depth rooting attempts and bricked it badly. I was then trying to install a custom recovery and that is why I could not reset it and bricked it.

PRE-REQS:
    1. ADB installed - Download: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0fKccJIuWsna04wMjY1eG9YREU
    2. Asus Drivers installed
    3. Firmware - Download: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0fKccJIuWsnWGhwYzA0Vkluc2s (file is 1 Gb + in size, may take a bit)

SETUP:
    If you already have a working ADB setup, do not download the one above. If you are using the one above, I extracted the folder into my C: drive, so the path for ADB would be C:\adb (to keep it simple and less typing).

MAKE SURE THE ASUS DRIVERS ARE INSTALLED! If you have plugged the tablet in to a pc before, they should already be there. Otherwise search, download and install the appropriate drivers.

INSTRUCTIONS:

Extract the firmware zip file to somewhere easily accessible like your desktop. In there, you should see the boot.img, recovery.img and system.img files, copy/paste those files to your ADB folder (for easier typing later on). There are also additional files like these but start with "unsigned_", do NOT use those!

1. Ensure you probably have at least 30% battery charge, I would still recommend more though.

2. Put the tablet in Fastboot mode by ensuring the tablet is completely powered down and then press/hold the VOLUME UP and POWER keys at the same time. When the Asus screen appears, let go of the POWER button but continue to hold the VOLUME UP button. Let go of the VOLUME UP button when the fastboot screen appears.

3. Plug the tablet in to the computer and then open a CMD prompt as administrator.

4. The following uses the ADB downloaded and placed in the folder as listed above, you may need to adjust the location path as needed if you already have ADB installed or located in a different path.

Type in the following without the quotes: "cd c:\adb" (this will change the path to the ADB files for the CMD prompt)

Type in the following without the quotes: "fastboot devices" (you should then see a device listed)

Type in the following without the quotes: "fastboot flash recovery recovery.img" (flashes the factory recovery image)

Type in the following without the quotes: "fastboot flash system system.img" (flashes the factory system image, may take a while to flash)

Type in the following without the quotes: "fastboot flash boot boot.img" (flashes the factory boot image)

5. Once those 3 images have been flashed, you should have seen a message that says "OKAY" after each one. You should be fine as long as you do not have any red error messages on your tablet.

Type in the following without the quotes: "fastboot reboot" (reboots device normally)

6. If all goes well, it should now boot to the Asus screen and then go to the ATT screen. If so, it will stay on the ATT screen for a while, just wait it out. Mine took about 12-15 minutes and then it opened to the new setup screen to set the tablet up as if its new!

This is how I was able to recover my bricked tablet, hopefully it can help someone else that may run into this.
    Dear John,

Here is a link for the Asus Flash Tool:
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0fKccJIuWsndXJUa1FEbXVzTjA
    The firmware in the download is 5.1.1, not 4.4.4. That is probably the issue. If you are running good on that, I would try rooting it instead. If you are just wanting to upgrade, you will need to have an active AT&T SIM in the tablet to upgrade over the air. I am not sure if there is a flashable upgrade or not somewhere.