FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[BOOTLOADER][0.3.0] me176c-boot for ASUS MeMO Pad 7 (ME176C(X))

427 posts
Thanks Meter: 558

By lambdadroid, Senior Member on 20th April 2018, 03:09 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Code:
/*
 * Your warranty is now void.
 * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
 * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
 * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
 * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
 * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
 */
me176c-boot is a custom, unlocked bootloader for the ASUS MeMO Pad 7 (ME176C(X)). Designed to be simple and flexible, it can boot into Android and/or Linux (coming soon).

me176c-boot is a combination of systemd-boot (a simple UEFI boot manager) and android-efi (a simple Android bootloader).

Features
  • Boot into Android, Recovery and Fastboot
  • Unlocked bootloader, can boot into custom ROMs
  • Completely open-source and custom built for ASUS MeMO Pad (ME176C(X))
  • Flexible configuration to add further boot targets (e.g. Linux dual boot)
Download

Latest release: esp-0.3.0.zip
Older releases: Available on GitHub

Installation
  1. Make sure that you are running Android 5.0 (Lollipop).
  2. Download and unpack "esp.zip" from the latest release.
  3. Make sure you have Fastboot installed.
  4. Boot the tablet into Fastboot mode: On the stock ROM, press "Volume Down" + "Power", and release the "Power" button once the backlight turns on.
  5. Connect the tablet to your PC, and verify that it shows up in "fastboot devices".
  6. Flash the new EFI System Partition (ESP) extracted from the downloaded ZIP: "fastboot flash ESP esp.img"
  7. Recommended: Configure the bootloader to use the stock charger for offline mode charging
Usage
By default, the bootloader will boot into the main Android system. You can recognize the bootloader by the green Android robot that is shown on boot.
Press "Volume Down" while booting to show the boot menu. Navigate through the menu with the "Volume Down" key. Press "Volume Up" to select an option. The "Power" button is not working inside the boot menu.

Configuration
You can access the (systemd-boot) configuration files from Recovery: go to "Mount" and select "EFI System Partiton (ESP)". Then you can access the ESP using ADB at "/esp".
Here are some links with more information how to configure the bootloader:Booting from other partitions
There is an additional "volume" option in me176c-boot that allows booting from other partitions on the internal storage, based on their GPT partition UUID. The partition needs to be formatted as FAT32.

ExamplesLimitations
The "BIOS" of the tablet can boot from the internal storage and USB(-OTG). It does not seem to be able to boot directly from external SD cards. However, it is possible to keep most of the system on the external SD card by placing only the kernel (the boot partition) on the internal storage.
The EFI System Partition (ESP) is severely limited in its size (only 16 MiB), which is usually not enough to keep more than one Linux kernel. That’s why me176c-boot supports booting from other partitions on the internal storage.

Setting up an additional ESP partition
There is an unneeded APD (ASUS Product Demo) partition on the tablet, which has a reasonable amount of storage (~300 MiB) and is therefore ideal as additional ESP partition. It contains a few demo product images/media files that are only used for the "demo mode" on the stock ROM.
  1. Boot into TWRP recovery and make a backup of the "APD (ASUS Product Demo)" partition. Store in it a safe place in case you want to restore it.
  2. Wipe the APD partition, and change its file system to FAT32.
  3. Place the EFI application (e.g.*Linux) on the APD partition, and use it in a boot target using the "volume" option:
    Code:
    # Partition UUID of the APD partition
    volume  80868086-8086-8086-8086-000000000007
Troubleshooting
In some cases booting may fail or you make a mistake during the installation. In this case, first power off the tablet by holding the "Power" button until it turns off.

Recovery
Even with the bootloader entirely broken, you can still boot into Fastboot mode using the rescue mode ("DNX mode").
  1. Download the stock ROM ("UL-K013-WW-12.10.1.36-user.zip")
  2. Extract "esp.zip" and "droidboot.img" from the downloaded ZIP.
  3. Extract "EFI/Intel/efilinux.efi" from "esp.zip".
  4. Press "Volume Up" + "Volume Down" + "Power" until "Fastboot starting…" shows up on the display.
  5. Connect the tablet to your PC, and verify that it shows up in "fastboot devices".
  6. Code:
    fastboot flash osloader efilinux.efi
    fastboot boot droidboot.img

XDA:DevDB Information
me176c-boot - Custom, unlocked bootloader for ASUS MeMO Pad 7 (ME176C(X)), Tool/Utility for the Asus MeMO Pad 7

Contributors
lambdadroid
Source Code: https://github.com/me176c-dev/me176c-boot

Version Information

Created 2018-04-20
Last Updated 2019-03-04
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to lambdadroid For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift lambdadroid Ad-Free

20th April 2018, 03:09 PM |#2  
OP Senior Member

More
Reserved
20th April 2018, 11:42 PM |#3  
Flag Brussels
Thanks Meter: 201

More
Succesfully flashed the new bootloader.
The android logo is showing up and booting after that.
Scrolling throught the boot menu is also working!
Thanks for doing this!
The Following User Says Thank You to Nexive For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Nexive Ad-Free
21st April 2018, 09:15 PM |#4  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 104

More
wow. You have really outdone yourself here..... Considering this device didn't even had an untethered recovery at one point this is BIG!.... this opens up a lot more possibilities now for this tablet.... buddy you deserve recognition here
The Following User Says Thank You to n30wav3 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift n30wav3 Ad-Free
22nd April 2018, 06:13 PM |#5  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 951

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by n30wav3

wow. You have really outdone yourself here..... Considering this device didn't even had an untethered recovery at one point this is BIG!.... this opens up a lot more possibilities now for this tablet.... buddy you deserve recognition here

It really is impressive how far this device has come. For a long while I was willing to accept that despite the unlocked bootloader, we would be stuck with ZenUI for the future.
The Following User Says Thank You to jerbear294 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jerbear294 Ad-Free
23rd April 2018, 06:44 AM |#6  
Flag Murmansk
Thanks Meter: 9

More
Hi, i try boot in TWRP - error Failed to execute recovery (\android.efi): Unsupported, reinstall TWRP - it s work
23rd April 2018, 03:59 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyrimus

Hi, i try boot in TWRP - error Failed to execute recovery (\android.efi): Unsupported, reinstall TWRP - it s work

So is everything working now? This could happen if you use a really old recovery and/or your (recovery) partition is corrupted.
26th May 2018, 07:23 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
will be possible to boot windows on the go (portable windows 10) from micro sd or a usb? maybe with a powered hub? (I made one with a normal hub, a diode and a usb cable and works as a charm)
26th May 2018, 07:32 PM |#9  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 951

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by f35suarezj

will be possible to boot windows on the go (portable windows 10) from micro sd or a usb? maybe with a powered hub? (I made one with a normal hub, a diode and a usb cable and works as a charm)

It's very much possible, but it won't work well at all due to the missing drivers.
6th June 2018, 07:30 PM |#10  
Flag Dearborn
Thanks Meter: 19

More
errors flashing
I have root access on the tablet but believe the bootloader is still locked & i was trying to load your bootloader.

I am having issues.
When I press Volume Down & Power I do not get a recovery menu but rather the tablet boots in an Android Safe mode. There are a limited number of apps available and the table has the word "Safe mode" at the bottom of the screen.

If instead I press Volume Up & power i get a different menu that includes Normal Boot, Power Off, Reovery Mode then Restart Recovery

At the bottom of the tablet in Normal Boot it says "FASTBOOT CMD WAITING...."
I can see the tablet with fastboot devices but get errors when I try "fastboot flash ESP esp.img"

D:\Asus Memo Pad 7>fastboot flash ESP esp.img
target reported max download size of 536870912 bytes
sending 'ESP' (33792 KB)...
OKAY [ 1.601s]
writing 'ESP'...
FAILED (remote: flash_cmds error!
)
finished. total time: 2.401s

On the tablet it says :

NORMAL BOOT

FASTBOOT MODE
PRODUCT_NAME - K01A
VARIANT - K01A
HW_VERSION - (blank)
BOOTLOADER VERSION - unknown
IFWI VERSION - 64.33
SERIAL NUMBER - 0123456789012345678
SIGNING - ?
SECURE_BOOT - ?

FASTBOOT CMD WAITING.......

I do not remember how I rooted the tablet but obviously it cleared the serial number and input a new one.

Is there anything else I might provide that might allow you to assist me?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0335.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	195.1 KB
ID:	4519905  
7th June 2018, 03:07 PM |#11  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jziggy101

I have root access on the tablet but believe the bootloader is still locked & i was trying to load your bootloader.

I am having issues.
When I press Volume Down & Power I do not get a recovery menu but rather the tablet boots in an Android Safe mode. There are a limited number of apps available and the table has the word "Safe mode" at the bottom of the screen.

If instead I press Volume Up & power i get a different menu that includes Normal Boot, Power Off, Reovery Mode then Restart Recovery

At the bottom of the tablet in Normal Boot it says "FASTBOOT CMD WAITING...."
I can see the tablet with fastboot devices but get errors when I try "fastboot flash ESP esp.img"

D:\Asus Memo Pad 7>fastboot flash ESP esp.img
target reported max download size of 536870912 bytes
sending 'ESP' (33792 KB)...
OKAY [ 1.601s]
writing 'ESP'...
FAILED (remote: flash_cmds error!
)
finished. total time: 2.401s

On the tablet it says :

NORMAL BOOT

FASTBOOT MODE
PRODUCT_NAME - K01A
VARIANT - K01A
HW_VERSION - (blank)
BOOTLOADER VERSION - unknown
IFWI VERSION - 64.33
SERIAL NUMBER - 0123456789012345678
SIGNING - ?
SECURE_BOOT - ?

FASTBOOT CMD WAITING.......

I do not remember how I rooted the tablet but obviously it cleared the serial number and input a new one.

Is there anything else I might provide that might allow you to assist me?

I'm afraid this package is for the ME176C (also named K013), not for the K01A. Now theoretically this doesn't mean anything, because the bootloader itself does not have any device specific code.

But given that you get an error trying to flash the "ESP" partition it is possible that your tablet never received the UEFI update (usually introduced with the update to Android 5.0). The bootloader only works on UEFI systems.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)