FORUMS

[ROM][9][2019-12-13] UNOFFICIAL LineageOS 16.0 for ASUS MeMO Pad 7 (ME176C(X))

467 posts
Thanks Meter: 612

By lambdadroid, Recognized Developer on 12th May 2019, 04:56 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Code:
/*
 * Your warranty is now void.
 * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
 * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
 * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
 * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
 * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
 */
LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 9 (Pie), which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

About this project

This is not a regular ROM. Usually, ROMs are based on certain components provided by the vendor (e.g. the heavily modified kernel and certain proprietary components). In contrast, this ROM makes use of a largely unmodified mainline Linux kernel together with many open-source components. Only a tiny bit of firmware is taken from the stock ROM.

This has many advantages for security and maintainability, but also means that certain hardware features (e.g. Camera, GPS) are difficult to implement because they require significant effort and a lot of reverse engineering. Nevertheless, this ROM has reached a state where it is very much usable with the majority of functionality implemented.

(See "Development" in the GitHub README for a more technical introduction...)

New features
  • Android 9 (LineageOS 16.0) with latest security patches
  • Linux 4.19 kernel
  • Meltdown, Spectre, RIDL, Fallout, ... fixes
  • Vulkan graphics (experimental)
  • Less/no bloatware
  • Full backlight control (allows much lower brightness)
  • F2FS (with a compatible recovery)
  • Signature spoofing (allows using MicroG instead of proprietary Google Play Services)
  • WireGuard
Tested features
  • Display, Backlight control
  • Graphics (OpenGL etc)
  • Touchscreen
  • WiFi, Bluetooth
  • Audio: Speaker, Headphones, Microphone
  • Battery, Charging
  • Sensors: Accelerometer, Magnetometer
  • Internal Storage/External Storage (SD Card)
  • USB, USB-OTG
  • Hardware video accelerated codecs
Planned features (not working yet)
  • Suspend/Deep sleep states
Not plannedFAQ
  • How is the battery live? Screen-on time is probably similar if not longer, but there is a lot of battery drain in standby mode (even worse than on the ASUS system). I recommend that you turn off the tablet when you're not using it.
  • How do I obtain root access? There are various ways, but the recommended way for LineageOS is to flash addonsu. (Available below.) However, note that this will break SafetyNet. Use Magisk alternatively.
  • Can I use Netflix with this ROM? Yes, although you will need to build and flash the Widevine DRM addon manually (see below).
Installation

Preparation
  1. Make sure you are running Android Lollipop (5.0).
  2. You need an unlocked bootloader. LineageOS 16.0 requires me176c-bootstrap 0.3.0, included in me176c-boot 0.3.0. (The old "Intel" bootloader is no longer supported.)
  3. Install TWRP
  4. Make a full backup of the ASUS system. You may want to go back to it.
  5. Do a full factory reset. Wipe data and cache partitions.
  6. Install the main system using the flashable ZIP below.
  7. If needed, install additional addons not included with the main system (see below).
DownloadAddons

There are various packages you can flash for additional functionality. Most of them are proprietary. All addons persist during LineageOS updates, so you do not need to flash them again after updating.*Houdini/Widevine: I do not provide pre-built ZIPs for those two addons. (See this post for more information.)
They can be built easily on any Linux distribution using android_vendor_google_chromeos-x86. Takes just a few minutes (depending on your download speed). No development experience or Android source code required.

If you are unable to build it, someone else may share a build with you. In that case, you can verify its integrity using the SHA-1 checksums available in the release notes.

XDA:DevDB Information
Unofficial LineageOS for ASUS MeMO Pad 7 (ME176C(X)), ROM for the Asus MeMO Pad 7

Contributors
lambdadroid
Source Code: https://github.com/me176c-dev

ROM OS Version: 9.x Pie
ROM Kernel: Linux 4.x
ROM Firmware Required: me176c-boot(strap) 0.3.0+
Based On: LineageOS

Version Information

Created 2019-05-12
Last Updated 2019-12-13
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to lambdadroid For This Useful Post: [ View ]
12th May 2019, 04:56 PM |#2  
OP Recognized Developer

More
Version History

LineageOS 16.0 (2019-12-13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lambdadroid

AddonsDownload: lineage-16.0-20191213-UNOFFICIAL-me176c-signed.zip

LineageOS 16.0 (2019-09-22)
Quote:

AddonsDownload: lineage-16.0-20190922-UNOFFICIAL-me176c-signed.zip

LineageOS 16.0 (2019-08-19)
Quote:

• Android security patch level: August 5, 2019
  • Use WiFi firmware from stock ROM
  • Add LineageOS power profiles
    • The default setting disables the turbo frequencies of the CPU to reduce heat (like on LineageOS 14.1).
    • The old behavior of LineageOS 16.0 (turbo on) can be restored by setting the power profile to "Quick".
  • Updates: Linux (4.19.57 -> 4.19.68), Mesa (19.1.1 -> 19.1.4), MediaSDK (2019 Q1 -> 19.2.1)
Download: lineage-16.0-20190819-UNOFFICIAL-me176c-signed.zip

LineageOS 16.0 (2019-07-07)
Quote:

Download: lineage-16.0-20190707-UNOFFICIAL-me176c-signed.zip

LineageOS 16.0 (2019-06-09)
Quote:

Security Advisory

• Android security patch level: June 5, 2019
  • Added mitigation and CPU microcode update for:
    • CVE-2018-12126, CVE-2018-12130, CVE-2018-12127, CVE-2019-11091
    • aka Zombieload, RIDL, Fallout, MDS, … so many names, sigh
Changelog
  • Enabled MPEG2 video codecs (including hardware acceleration)
  • Fixed warning: "There's an internal problem with your device. Contact your manufacturer for details."
    • Flashing "vfp-fix-lineage-16.0-me176c-signed.zip" is no longer necessary
  • Updates: Linux (4.19.42 -> 4.19.49), Mesa (19.0.4 -> 19.0.6)
Addons
  • CPU Microcode addon is now obsolete, since CPU microcode updates are included by default again.
    • Re-install me176c-boot if you have been using it.
  • Widevine/Houdini: Updated to 11895.118.0_nocturne
    • There are now simplified build instructions in BUILDING.md
Download

LineageOS 16.0 (2019-05-12)
Quote:

This build is a major update to LineageOS 16.0 (based on Android 9 Pie) and contains several weeks of work with significant cleanup and other major changes.

Major changes

• Based on LineageOS 16.0 (Android 9 Pie)
  • Use Android Go build configuration to optimize for low RAM (More information)
  • Hardware accelerated video codecs are now open-source
  • The remaining proprietary components are no longer included by default and must be flashed manually if needed: (More information)
    • Widevine DRM (used in certain streaming apps like Netflix)
    • Houdini (used to run ARM apps on x86)
    • CPU microcode update
New installation instructions
  • LineageOS 16.0 requires me176c-bootstrap 0.3.0, included in me176c-boot 0.3.0.
    • The old ("Intel") bootloader is no longer supported.
  • There are many new "addons" that can be flashed for full functionality.
Please check the new installation instructions on the LineageOS 16.0 thread before installing this update.

Upgrading
  • Upgrading from LineageOS 14.1 may work but is untested (and largely unsupported)
  • Upgrading from LineageOS 16.0 test builds is not possible!
    • Do a factory reset before installing the new build.
Improvements
  • Use MAC address from stock ROM for both WiFi and Bluetooth
  • Put Bluetooth in low power mode while not actively in use (#37)
Fixes
  • Android security patch level: May 5, 2019
  • MTP (#33)
  • Green artifacts on video thumbnails in Gallery (#51)
  • Headset / headphones microphone detection (#19)
Other changes
  • Updates: Linux (4.14.72 -> 4.19.42), Mesa (18.2.1 -> 19.0.4), MediaSDK (2018 Q2.2 -> 2019 Q1), …
Download

13th May 2019, 12:17 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Great news, I will try today at home! Thanks!!!
13th May 2019, 05:46 PM |#4  
Flag Lower saxony
Thanks Meter: 28

More
I have tested it today. Seems be work without any problems. Thank you.
13th May 2019, 07:19 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Houdini/WidevineDRM
So far this ROM is working without any problem, The performance is usable, and the battery is OK due to hardware limitations.

I have a problem installing Houdini and Widevine DRM (I Don't have any development experience) yet i don't understand the instructions on how to make a ZIP and how and where i should put the MK files.
If you dont want to provide the flashable ZIP files that is alright, but could you atleast make a guide that we can follow?

Great Job and Thanks for making this unusable tablet usable again.
13th May 2019, 08:03 PM |#6  
OP Recognized Developer

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazgir

I have a problem installing Houdini and Widevine DRM (I Don't have any development experience) yet i don't understand the instructions on how to make a ZIP and how and where i should put the MK files.
If you dont want to provide the flashable ZIP files that is alright, but could you atleast make a guide that we can follow?

Making a step by step guide is quite difficult because it really depends on the system you are using. I'm guessing that most users will already run into trouble because it can be only built on Linux.
Creating a guide to set up a virtual machine etc., how to get into a terminal etc would require a lot of effort. This is time that I would rather spent in development. I realize this entire situation isn't ideal, but I haven't been able to come up with a better solution.

If you have a working Linux system, building should be pretty simple:
  1. Download and unpack https://github.com/me176c-dev/androi...octurne.tar.gz
  2. Open a terminal and run (in the extracted folder):
    Code:
    $ ./extract-files.sh
    $ zip/build.sh
  3. Find flashable ZIPs in zip/out.
No development experience needed.
This is also roughly what is already explained in https://github.com/me176c-dev/androi...e_chromeos-x86 although the README has more background information because it is really intended for people that would like to use that project in own projects (e.g. in other ROMs).

Maybe someone else here would like to provide more detailed instructions?
14th May 2019, 08:16 AM |#7  

More
Hey, Thanks for the Reply!

I have already setup the Virtual Machine and even tried "Sudo ./extract-files.sh" I'll get the messedge "https://imgur.com/a/Y1lKg5P"
It probebly fail because i don't have the OS for the chromeOS, But then again where should i put the extractions file so that the script can locate and extract the nessecary files?

Am i missing something? a file maybe? or should the script takeout the nessecery files from internet? (i have almost no clue what im talking about )

I have the ASUS K013 (ME176CX) (1GB RAM) (8GB ROM)

Thanks again!
14th May 2019, 09:57 AM |#8  

More
Hello Again,

I managed to create the ZIP files, The only problem i had was that i needed the recovery files for Chromeos (Nocturne),
Ones i had the files i extracted the recovery and got the file named propretary, and build the ZIP.

The link for the "I cant provide it for you because i don't have 10 post"

For other builds: cros-update-service-appspot.com (Try to find the one called nocturne and then 73 (then eddit the url so that u get 154.0 insted of 104.1))

This was a crusial step to understand how to extract the files, u also need to put the zip in to the same directori as extract.build.sh,

I have not yet tried this, so im not sure if it will work. The SHA.1 Matches

Thanks!!
14th May 2019, 03:49 PM |#9  
OP Recognized Developer

More
Quote:

I have the ASUS K013 (ME176CX) (1GB RAM) (8GB ROM) :)

There is really a K013 with only 8 GB internal storage?
I've read this a few times, but haven't seen one before. Good to know that the ROM works fine on it.

Quote:

I have already setup the Virtual Machine and even tried "Sudo ./extract-files.sh" I'll get the messedge "https://imgur.com/a/Y1lKg5P"
It probebly fail because i don't have the OS for the chromeOS, But then again where should i put the extractions file so that the script can locate and extract the nessecary files?

Am i missing something? a file maybe? or should the script takeout the nessecery files from internet? (i have almost no clue what im talking about :confused:)

Great! The script downloads everything for you, but it looks like you don't have "curl" installed. On Ubuntu, you can install it using "sudo apt install curl". Then it will probably download the same file you have already downloaded manually. :)

Quote:

I managed to create the ZIP files, The only problem i had was that i needed the recovery files for Chromeos (Nocturne),
Ones i had the files i extracted the recovery and got the file named propretary, and build the ZIP.

The link for the "I cant provide it for you because i don't have 10 post"

For other builds: cros-update-service-appspot.com (Try to find the one called nocturne and then 73 (then eddit the url so that u get 154.0 insted of 104.1))

This was a crusial step to understand how to extract the files, u also need to put the zip in to the same directori as extract.build.sh,

You can skip this if you have "curl" installed. :)

Thanks for trying to build it and your feedback! I will try to make the README more clear, especially regarding additional dependencies (e.g. "curl") plus the commands to run.
The Following User Says Thank You to lambdadroid For This Useful Post: [ View ]
15th May 2019, 08:09 AM |#10  

More
I'm supprised on how the ROM turned out to be, being a x86 platform even tho it's not supported anymore, with Houdini and Widevine.

I was able to play games on the phone such as Old school runescape on the tablet (Not perfect but playable) watch videos on youtube with the sound bug :/

The battery is better but still horrible (it was like this before), Might download somekind of deepsleep app such as Greenify for that.
What magisk module i have downloaded för best possible preformance is NFS-INJECTOR in Magisk.

I don't have any major problem with the 8GB ROM even tho the emmc memory is very very bad (Read 40Mb/s and write 8-10Mb/s) Somehow when i installed old SD card which is R 20Mb/s and 10Mb/s the tablets performance increase even tho it has lover read and write speed.

Is there a way to optimize the performance for the tablet even more? The main problem is RAM and ROM, i feel like the emmc memory and the amount of ram is holding back the CPU/GPU

Thanks!
15th May 2019, 08:46 AM |#11  
OP Recognized Developer

More
Quote:

I was able to play games on the phone such as Old school runescape on the tablet (Not perfect but playable) watch videos on youtube with the sound bug :/

Sound bug?

Quote:

I don't have any major problem with the 8GB ROM even tho the emmc memory is very very bad (Read 40Mb/s and write 8-10Mb/s) Somehow when i installed old SD card which is R 20Mb/s and 10Mb/s the tablets performance increase even tho it has lover read and write speed.

Is there a way to optimize the performance for the tablet even more? The main problem is RAM and ROM, i feel like the emmc memory and the amount of ram is holding back the CPU/GPU

Android and most apps raise their requirements each year as new devices are released with higher specs. Many devices come with 6GB+ RAM now.
Altogether, this tablet was already low-end when it was released. The CPU is pretty good compared to low-end ARM processors. But with ~800MB usable RAM this tablet can simply not keep up with apps that require more and more resources.

This tablet would do fine if Android and apps were continuously optimized to use less resources. However, the development actually goes into the opposite direction.
Sooner or later, this tablet will probably no longer manage to boot new Android versions at all, simply because all RAM is taken up by the system.

My point is: If you want to optimize this tablet, you need to go back in time. Not just with the OS (e.g. by downgrading to Android 4.4 KitKat), but with all apps you are using. If you go to ~2015 this tablet will likely do a much better job.

This ROM is definitely less "optimized" for this specific device, simply because it does not have most of the device-specific hacks they had for these Intel tablets back then. But this is the price for being able to keep it up to date with acceptable effort. And if you look back to ASUS's version of Lollipop, it usually didn't feel much better either even though it was technically more "optimized".
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)