/* * Your warranty is now void. * * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you. * */
About this project
This is not a regular ROM. Usually, ROMs are based on certain components provided by the vendor (e.g. the heavily modified kernel and certain proprietary components). In contrast, this ROM makes use of a largely unmodified mainline Linux kernel together with many open-source components. Only a tiny bit of firmware is taken from the stock ROM.
This has many advantages for security and maintainability, but also means that certain hardware features (e.g. Camera, GPS) are difficult to implement because they require significant effort and a lot of reverse engineering. Nevertheless, this ROM has reached a state where it is very much usable with the majority of functionality implemented.
(See "Development" in the GitHub README for a more technical introduction...)
- Android 9 (LineageOS 16.0) with latest security patches
- Linux 4.19 kernel
- Meltdown, Spectre, RIDL, Fallout, ... fixes
- Vulkan graphics (experimental)
- Less/no bloatware
- Full backlight control (allows much lower brightness)
- F2FS (with a compatible recovery)
- Signature spoofing (allows using MicroG instead of proprietary Google Play Services)
- Display, Backlight control
- Graphics (OpenGL etc)
- WiFi, Bluetooth
- Audio: Speaker, Headphones, Microphone
- Battery, Charging
- Sensors: Accelerometer, Magnetometer
- Internal Storage/External Storage (SD Card)
- USB, USB-OTG
- Hardware video accelerated codecs
- Suspend/Deep sleep states
- How is the battery live? Screen-on time is probably similar if not longer, but there is a lot of battery drain in standby mode (even worse than on the ASUS system). I recommend that you turn off the tablet when you're not using it.
- How do I obtain root access? There are various ways, but the recommended way for LineageOS is to flash addonsu. (Available below.) However, note that this will break SafetyNet. Use Magisk alternatively.
- Can I use Netflix with this ROM? Yes, although you will need to build and flash the Widevine DRM addon manually (see below).
- Make sure you are running Android Lollipop (5.0).
- You need an unlocked bootloader. LineageOS 16.0 requires me176c-bootstrap 0.3.0, included in me176c-boot 0.3.0. (The old "Intel" bootloader is no longer supported.)
- Install TWRP
- Make a full backup of the ASUS system. You may want to go back to it.
- Do a full factory reset. Wipe data and cache partitions.
- Install the main system using the flashable ZIP below.
- If needed, install additional addons not included with the main system (see below).
- System image (install as ZIP in recovery): lineage-16.0-20191213-UNOFFICIAL-me176c-signed.zip
- TWRP recovery image: Available in a separate thread.
There are various packages you can flash for additional functionality. Most of them are proprietary. All addons persist during LineageOS updates, so you do not need to flash them again after updating.
- Google Apps (Google Play Services, Play Store, ...): Use Open GApps (x86, Android 9.0)
- Fingerprint (used to pass SafetyNet/Google Play certification): Flash me176c-asus-fingerprint-signed.zip.
- Magisk users: Alternatively, you can use MagiskHide Props Config with the fingerprint asus/WW_K013/K013:5.0/LRX21V/WW_K013-126.96.36.199-20151230:user/release-keys
- Root: Flash addonsu-16.0-x86-me176c-signed.zip. Remove using addonsu-remove-16.0-x86-me176c-signed.zip
- This will break SafetyNet. Alternatively, you can use Magisk.
- Widevine DRM (used in certain streaming apps like Netflix): Flash widevine-x86-chromeos-12499.66.0_atlas.zip* [see below]
- Houdini (used to run ARM apps on x86, may help if an app shows up as incompatible): Flash houdini-x86-chromeos-12499.66.0_atlas.zip* [see below]
- Signature Spoofing (for use with microG): Flash me176c-signature-spoofing-signed.zip to enable signature spoofing. Grant permission with caution only.
They can be built easily on any Linux distribution using android_vendor_google_chromeos-x86. Takes just a few minutes (depending on your download speed). No development experience or Android source code required.
If you are unable to build it, someone else may share a build with you. In that case, you can verify its integrity using the SHA-1 checksums available in the release notes.
Unofficial LineageOS for ASUS MeMO Pad 7 (ME176C(X)), ROM for the Asus MeMO Pad 7
Source Code: https://github.com/me176c-dev
ROM OS Version: 9.x Pie
ROM Kernel: Linux 4.x
ROM Firmware Required: me176c-boot(strap) 0.3.0+
Based On: LineageOS
Last Updated 2019-12-13