Thanks Meter: 3,667

Post Reply Email Thread
16th May 2017, 07:05 AM |#101  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Beijing
Thanks Meter: 3,186

Donate to Me
More
May I ask what's the deal with Nougat bootloader? I've read a few posts around here and MIUI EN but still quite confused as to what the mess is about. If one already has an account that has been approved to unlock devices, what is there to block unlocking Nougat bootloader using official tools?
16th May 2017, 07:19 AM |#102  
OP Senior Member
Flag Suceava

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyYan

May I ask what's the deal with Nougat bootloader? I've read a few posts around here and MIUI EN but still quite confused as to what the mess is about. If one already has an account that has been approved to unlock devices, what is there to block unlocking Nougat bootloader using official tools?

If you get the permission, sure, you can unlock it. But I don't want to go through the unlocking process since mine came unlocked and I have no intention to use nougat MIUI, and I can just compile the kernel for whatever ROM which is compatible with nougat bootloader only If i want to use it.

Also, I don't want to force users to wait for unlock permission, and if users have nougat bootloaders they can just downgrade in like 2 mins.
16th May 2017, 09:10 AM |#103  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Beijing

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cozzmy13

if users have nougat bootloaders they can just downgrade in like 2 mins.

That alone is enough to keep me rest assured, although using EDL to downgrade isn't the most graceful way. Thanks for letting me know the reason behind.
What I do wonder is, wouldn't there be updated blobs, etc. that we could potentially take advantage of in Nougat MIUI that we would miss out with Lollipop BL?
16th May 2017, 09:33 AM |#104  
Flag Moscow
Thanks Meter: 2,648

More
Quote:

That alone is enough to keep me rest assured, although using EDL to downgrade isn't the most graceful way. Thanks for letting me know the reason behind.
What I do wonder is, wouldn't there be updated blobs, etc. that we could potentially take advantage of in Nougat MIUI that we would miss out with Lollipop BL?

I suppose blobs are maintained by LOS, so you can check their repos
16th May 2017, 09:52 AM |#105  
OP Senior Member
Flag Suceava

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

There's no benefit in using nougat bootloader. You can even flash the nougat modem(firmware) on lollipop and it will probably work. Blobs have nothing to do with the bootloader. Please take note that blobs aren't the same thing as firmware. Blobs is the name for the proprietary libraries which we take from MIUI ROMs, and they don't talk with the bootloader. The only that the bootloader does is load the kernel, ramdisk and dtb. Lollipop bootloader only accepts boot.imgs with separated dt.img. dt.img contains dtbs which describe the hardware. Nougat bootloader only accepts boot.imgs with the dtb directly appended to the kernel.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cozzmy13 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Cozzmy13 Ad-Free
16th May 2017, 10:26 AM |#106  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Beijing

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

If you get the permission, sure, you can unlock it. But I don't want to go through the unlocking process since mine came unlocked and I have no intention to use nougat MIUI, and I can just compile the kernel for whatever ROM which is compatible with nougat bootloader only If i want to use it.

Also, I don't want to force users to wait for unlock permission, and if users have nougat bootloaders they can just downgrade in like 2 mins.

Quote:

There's no benefit in using nougat bootloader. You can even flash the nougat modem(firmware) on lollipop and it will probably work. Blobs have nothing to do with the bootloader. Please take note that blobs aren't the same thing as firmware. Blobs is the name for the proprietary libraries which we take from MIUI ROMs, and they don't talk with the bootloader. The only that the bootloader does is load the kernel, ramdisk and dtb. Lollipop bootloader only accepts boot.imgs with separated dt.img. dt.img contains dtbs which describe the hardware. Nougat bootloader only accepts boot.imgs with the dtb directly appended to the kernel.

Yeah well, guess I was used to my N6P which would also need a matching /vendor and OS pairs. Thanks again for the explanation.
16th May 2017, 01:44 PM |#107  
Thanks Meter: 164

More
i had official approval from Xiaomi which didn't work, always end up freezing at 50%, it was driving me crazy,i tried everything but nothing worked, so in the end unlocked bootloader unofficially, which is reason why i am not gonna through unlocking mess again especially when there is pretty much zero benefit from it

also can someone provide APK of newest Snapdragon camera from RR, AICP or other LOS? I am using HTC version but viewfinder is not properly cropped with black bars for 4:3 resolution

@Cozzmy13 can you link in your OP official linage su addon? so people would have all links in one place
https://mirrorbits.lineageos.org/su/...m64-signed.zip
17th May 2017, 02:49 PM |#108  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Anybody else having the problem that the phone regularly wakes up and unlocks itself in the pocket (and then does crazy things because it obviously touches your leg)? Never had that with cm13.1
17th May 2017, 03:42 PM |#109  
OP Senior Member
Flag Suceava

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by flow2fly

Anybody else having the problem that the phone regularly wakes up and unlocks itself in the pocket (and then does crazy things because it obviously touches your leg)? Never had that with cm13.1

Disable DT2W or enable Prevent accidental wake-up in display settings.
17th May 2017, 03:52 PM |#110  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
I always have been using DT2W and never had this issue(for about 1 year), that's why I'm asking.
I have the feeling that it must be a different problem. I can imagine DT2W going of inside my pocket accidentally maybe once per month but not once per day, that's really strange...
17th May 2017, 04:32 PM |#111  
OP Senior Member
Flag Suceava

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by flow2fly

I always have been using DT2W and never had this issue(for about 1 year), that's why I'm asking.
I have the feeling that it must be a different problem. I can imagine DT2W going of inside my pocket accidentally maybe once per month but not once per day, that's really strange...

I told you to enable Prevent accidental wake-up in Display settings. It will check if the proximity sensor is covered before opening the screen.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cozzmy13 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Cozzmy13 Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)